• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Nintendo NX Powered By Nvidia Tegra! Initial Spec Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's hard for me to believe that nvidia is going to have a conference on the new X2 then a month later Nintendo is going to have a NX conference and say "It is powered by Tegra, the old model X1."
Because they won't say how it's powered. They didn't say the Wii was powered by a GameCube. In fact I'm not sure Nintendo themselves ever officially revealed the specs of the Wii at all.

Memory bandwidth is an interesting problem, and I don't see many options here but to go with some sort of on-chip/on-package memory. I wonder if Tegra for NX will make use of HBM2?..

IIRC vita used Wide IO for the VRAM part of its stacked RAM, Idk what options are available today.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
IIRC vita used Wide IO for the VRAM part of its stacked RAM, Idk what options are available today.
Widening your mem controller to 128 bits would be a straight-forward albeit costly option (of course less costly than putting embedded mem).

tuxfool

Banned
We have had consoles with add on memory or coprocessors in the past, but not since the days of cartridges

In those days high speed busses were less of an issue. To have a connectable add-on interface (that is mechanically robust and high speed) would be expensive. IMO way too exotic even for nintendo.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
In those days high speed busses were less of an issue. To have a connectable add-on interface (that is mechanically robust and high speed) would be expensive. IMO way too exotic even for nintendo.
Yeah... the more I think about it the more likely it seems there will be no performance difference between docked and undocked mode.

You think Nintendo would talk about hardware specs in such concrete terms? I'd say that's unlikely regardless of the actual specs.

That's the funny thing. Even after reveal, we'll have to wait for someone to open it. Because I can clearly smell the "It's using Tegra X1/X2 technology" the same way Wii U CPU was using "IBM Watson's technology".
Until someone hack it, leak it or open it and pass it through xrays, we wont know about core count and frequencies. The only thing telling will be how games performs. Let's remember how Vita's specs has been seen from amazing to low when we knew about the dramatically low clockspeeds.

tuxfool

Banned
Widening your mem controller to 128 bits would be a straight-forward albeit costly option (of course less costly than putting embedded mem).

Is there a a POP solution that has a 128 bit interface?

HBM without an interposer is a possible solution but that seems a bit expensive.

Servbot24

Banned
it's hard for me to believe that nvidia is going to have a conference on the new X2 then a month later Nintendo is going to have a NX conference and say "It is powered by Tegra, the old model X1."

How familiar are you with Nintendo? I find it hard to believe they would do anything but that.

So what would that mean for 3rd party developers?

Is this a architecture similar to the ones of PS4 and Xbox?

And also will it be more difficult for the developers if they have to "downgrade" the graphics for the weaker NX hardware?

thanks in advance

Are the assumptions going around about the home / base /connection perhaps using similar connection as NVlink in some capacity (thus connecting it to some other more powerful hardware)?

Or are people just assuming that the homebase, if it does anything at all, will just provide active cooling and thus allow for a proper upclock of GPU and CPU?

blu

Is there a a POP solution that has a 128 bit interface?

HBM without an interposer is a possible solution but that seems a bit expensive.
Not that I'm aware of, but I don't expect the SoC to use POP in the first place - POP would just make dissipation worse in 'full blast' mode.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Are the assumptions going around about the home / base /connection perhaps using similar connection as NVlink in some capacity (thus connecting it to some other more powerful hardware)?

Or are people just assuming that the homebase, if it does anything at all, will just provide active cooling and thus allow for a proper upclock of GPU and CPU?
Even the active cooling idea is problematic to implement.

dr_rus

WideIO is kinda a predecessor of HBM (WideIO is Samsung's stacked DRAM specification which was later included into JEDEC HBM spec IIRC). Using HBM here is one option which would provide enough bandwidth for both modes of operation while keeping power consumption to a minimum. Hence why I'm wondering.

And also will it be more difficult for the developers if they have to "downgrade" the graphics for the weaker NX hardware?

thanks in advance

Architecture is similar to a phone/tablet (arm arch) so mobile ports should be very easy, but console ports will be tougher as they use x86.

So exact same situation when it comes to third party console ports as with the wii u, which used ibm's power arch.

tuxfool

Banned
It just so happens Nintendos newest hardware partner Nvidia has just such a thing for their Pascal line of tech called NVLink!

http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvlink.html

NVLink is definitely not designed for this purpose. It has a complex physical interface to support very high frequency clocks, it definitely isn't rated for constant connection-disconnections you'd see on a consumer device.

This bus definitely seems extremely power hungry, which is absolutely minor in a HPC system. It is complicated (from software to hardware), expensive and ill suited for a handheld.

blu

Architecture is similar to a phone/tablet (arm arch) so mobile ports should be very easy, but console ports will be tougher as they use x86.

So exact same situation as with the wii u, which used ibm's power arch.
Very far from wiiU situation, actually.

Instro

You think Nintendo would talk about hardware specs in such concrete terms? I'd say that's unlikely regardless of the actual specs.

Well they provided the GPU family for the WiiU, so you might get a "custom Tegra X2" or something along those lines in the press release. Definitely don't expect any info on clock speeds or that kind of info.

Servbot24

Banned

thanks in advance

Well first of all this is Nintendo, which means 3rd parties don't care, regardless of the specs.

That said, if any of them did have the mind to port a console game to NX, it would require that the game have very low system requirements or be significantly downgraded (which is a lot of work)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Well first of all this is Nintendo, which means 3rd parties don't care, regardless of the specs.

That said, if any of them did have the mind to port a console game to NX, it would require that the game have very low system requirements or be significantly downgraded (which is a lot of work)
Weren't there quotes from reliable sources claiming ports from PS4/XBO didn't require a lot of work?

pestul

I think many 3rd parties are going to try smaller games and play mostly hands-off to see if this device strikes lightening. Nintendo needs to have some amazing software ready for this thing at launch to achieve such a success.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Because they won't say how it's powered. They didn't say the Wii was powered by a GameCube. In fact I'm not sure Nintendo themselves ever officially revealed the specs of the Wii at all.

Well todays world is so transparent and so power driven. People are going to dig and dig for the specs then they will be everywhere. You would think nintendo would want to get in front of that wave.

blu

ARM has much more general software support than PowerPC these days. Heck, you can even build for ARM in Visual Studio.
ARMv8 has helluva better toolchains than msvc (which does only thumb2).

dr_rus

thanks in advance
We don't know much about NX architecture yet but if it will be able to reach XBO's performance level that would definitely make 3rd party multiplatform ports a lot easier to produce as most releases will still have to support XBO platform target even after Scorpio's launch in a year from now.

So exact same situation when it comes to third party console ports as with the wii u, which used ibm's power arch.

Binary compatibility means little in this day and age, it's more dependent on what amount of work on the engine's architecture and game's content must be performed to port a game to a platform. This is mostly performance / h/w specifics related like: will its CPU be able to run the same CPU code as XBO? will its GPU be able to run the same shaders as XBO? will it have enough memory to fit the same assets as XBO in it? will it controller be generally compatible with XBO's? etc.

Oregano

Well DMP released a press release about the Pica200 being in the 3DS so if Nvidia was a desperate for a win as rumours suggest they probably want to be able to announce it, especially if it's their brand new chip.

spekkeh

Banned
Which is precisely why they prematurely leaked this information, so that we know Nintendo will use the newest Tegra, X1, before they announce the upgrade.

emag

How familiar are you with Nintendo? I find it hard to believe they would do anything but that.

Nintendo doesn't cut off its nose to spite its face, which is what the cynics seem to be saying. Instead, Nintendo chooses the best available hardware that fits the thermal and other design aspects of the system. Going with a standard Tegra X1 world be absurd given its power draw. The NX has to be using a custom design (16nm, Pascal, etc,) or an X2. The spring 2017 release timeframe is a further indication of a newer solution.

otakukidd

Console ports would be easier than many people think cause a great amount of game engines support arm already.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Memory bandwidth is an interesting problem, and I don't see many options here but to go with some sort of on-chip/on-package memory. I wonder if Tegra for NX will make use of HBM2?..

Stop it! You know Nintendo isn't into that type of stuff.

Nintendo doesn't cut off its nose to spite its face, which is what the cynics seem to be saying. Instead, Nintendo chooses the best available hardware that fits the thermal and other design aspects of the system. Going with a standard Tegra X1 world be absurd given its power draw. The NX has to be using a custom design (16nm, Pascal, etc,) or an X2. The spring 2017 release timeframe is a further indication of a newer solution.

I remember the WiiU hardware speculation threads. People had the same optimism being shown here. It's Nintendo, the odds they go out and use the newest technology seems very umlikely to me. The only thing that nakes me think you may be right is because apparently X1 is less efficient than X2 amd handhelds cant be battery destroyers.

Oregano

I remember the WiiU hardware speculation threads. People had the same optimism being shown here. It's Nintendo, the odds they go out and use the newest technology seems very umlikely to me. The only thing that nakes me think you may be right is because apparently X1 is less efficient than X2 amd handhelds cant be battery destroyers.

Well going for a X1 is already pretty out of the ordinary for Nintendo. It would still place the device on the high end.

Yeah... the more I think about it the more likely it seems there will be no performance difference between docked and undocked mode.

I have a hard time believing there won't be some performance gains for two reasons:

1. Everybody has an HDTV. You need to get your game to some HD resolution (which the handheld mode would likely not be able display).

2. What is the purpose of using a significantly downclocked chip in the handheld if you never plan to upclock it? Why not go for a lower powered cheaper chip then?

I definitely expect whatever chip they use to have improved performance when docked- the question is how much of an improvement can they realistically get with whatever cooling solution they have considering the design of the handheld and the dock.

dr_rus

Stop it! You know Nintendo isn't into that type of stuff.

This type of stuff will have to be done by NV, not Nintendo. Nintendo is just paying money for this. But sure, I tend to be overly optimistic on these things. It's way more likely that it'll just be TX1 (Parker is we're lucky) without any active cooling and just a frequency bump in stationary mode. Which is boring.

This type of stuff will have to be done by NV, not Nintendo. Nintendo is just paying money for this. But sure, I tend to be overly optimistic on these things. It's way more likely that it'll just be TX1 (Parker is we're lucky) without any active cooling and just a frequency bump in stationary mode. Which is boring.

Nintendo is involved in the design (and are licensing Tegra I believe)

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
I have a hard time believing there won't be some performance gains for two reasons:

1. Everybody has an HDTV. You need to get your game to some HD resolution (which the handheld mode would likely not be able display).

2. What is the purpose of using a significantly downclocked chip in the handheld if you never plan to upclock it? Why not go for a lower powered cheaper chip then?

I definitely expect whatever chip they use to have improved performance when docked- the question is how much of an improvement can they realistically get with whatever cooling solution they have considering the design of the handheld and the dock.

The question is how (as in via what mechanism) would you improve performance when docked? And what would be the tradeoffs in terms of the handheld design? Bare in mind that Nintendo has held on to a consistent simple handheld design philosophy since the days of game & watch, and it's paid off for them every single time.

emag

The Wii and Wii U started off as Gamecube and Wii peripherals, respectively, and so were constrained to using much of the same technology. The NX is a clean break, the same way the Gamecube was.

It's nonsense to argue that Nintendo will use deprecated, less-efficient technology, "just because", or out of spite, when doing so would cause such clear and obvious harm with no upside.

The question is how (as in via what mechanism) would you improve performance when docked? And what would be the tradeoffs in terms of the handheld design? Bare in mind that Nintendo has held on to a consistent simple handheld design philosophy since the days of game & watch, and it's paid off for them every single time.

Based on the replies in this thread, some level of upclocking when docked seems quite likely, and the cooling and RAM bandwidth issues don't seem anywhere near insurmountable. I'm not sure why simply clocking up the GPU when in docked mode makes the handheld design any more complex for the end user... as many have said, this is a very common feature in modern electronics.

Edit:

The Wii and Wii U started off as Gamecube and Wii peripherals, respectively, and so were constrained to using much of the same technology. The NX is a clean break, the same way the Gamecube was.

It's nonsense to argue that Nintendo will use deprecated, less-efficient technology, "just because", or out of spite, when doing so would cause such clear and obvious harm with no upside.

It's never been "just because" or out of spite, contrary to many of the arguments you'll find here. On the contrary, as you've said it was largely a matter of backwards compatibility. This is Nintendo's first new hardware architecture since the Gamecube, so we can essentially throw out the motivations for the moves they've made during Wii-Wii U eras.

That's not to say we should expect them to go cutting edge- they still do retain the "lateral thinking with withered technology" philosophy as far as I'm aware. But if they can be assured that this technology is mature and reliable enough, I don't see why they would ignore it. Price is really the main issue here, but the rumor that Nintendo essentially got a steal in this deal with Nvidia shouldn't be ignored.

McHuj

The more I think about it, I think a Pascal based tegra will be the direction Nintendo goes.

I think Nintendo will want the additional features of Pascal for more efficient image processing and computer vision. I think Nintendo will delve more into AR with the NX.

The CPU/GPU will come down to whatever they can fit into a ~2W 50-75mm SOC on 16FF. Denver cores maybe too big and A57's used in the X1 are too power inefficient.

I could see a 2 A72 + 4 A53 + 256 Pascal shaders @ 250 MHz (~128 gigaflops) + 4GB of LPDDR4. That's my prediction. Maybe... some embedded SRAM since Nintendo has always done that.

I think Denver cores would be really interesting for virtual console emulation.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Based on the replies in this thread, some level of upclocking when docked seems quite likely, and the cooling and RAM bandwidth issues don't seem anywhere near insurmountable. I'm not sure why simply clocking up the GPU when in docked mode makes the handheld design any more complex for the end user... as many have said, this is a very common feature in modern electronics.

I can't comment on RAM bandwidth, but if you want to read a more complete and thorough examination of the cooling issues I suggest you look at Thraktor's posts in the original thread.

Also dont forget to take into account that price is a big factor for Nintendo.

I can't comment on RAM bandwidth, but if you want to read a more complete and thorough examination of the cooling issues I suggest you look at Thraktor's posts in the original thread.

Also dont forget to take into account that price is a big factor for Nintendo.

The other thread is enormous, do you have a link to that post? Also I read some discussion of his about cooling in this thread, and it's really only an issue when the clocks hit a certain level. What I'm saying is that many people here believe the portable clocks will be somewhere around or below 500MHz and the docked clocks will be somewhere below 1GHz, while one of Thraktor's posts indicated that a 16nm Pascal chip could run at 1.6GHz, but at that point the cooling becomes a major issue for a console that we're supposed to pick up from the dock whenever we choose. 1GHz likely has much less of an issue with cooling, and cooling in itself is not an expensive or insurmountable problem as far as a dock is concerned.

I don't really know what you mean by price here- assuming the Eurogamer article is accurate and the devkits are using Tegra X1's, there should be no difference in price if those X1s keep the same clock in both portable and docked mode or if they are downclocked in portable mode and upclocked in docked mode. Beyond cooling (which isn't expensive) I don't really know what you mean by price being a big factor.

rschauby

Banned
I would have to think Nvidia would push for Nintendo to use their newest X2 chip.

Nvidia and its mobile Tegra chip is really struggling to take hold in the market place. I don't see how Nvidia could not make a deal to get their newest chip in a high profile device.

MuchoMalo

Banned
The more I think about it, I think a Pascal based tegra will be the direction Nintendo goes.

I think Nintendo will want the additional features of Pascal for more efficient image processing and computer vision. I think Nintendo will delve more into AR with the NX.

The CPU/GPU will come down to whatever they can fit into a ~2W 50-75mm SOC on 16FF. Denver cores maybe too big and A57's used in the X1 are too power inefficient.

I could see a 2 A72 + 4 A53 + 256 Pascal shaders @ 250 MHz (~128 gigaflops) + 4GB of LPDDR4. That's my prediction. Maybe... some embedded SRAM since Nintendo has always done that.

I think Denver cores would be really interesting for virtual console emulation.

There's no density improvement going from 20nm planar to 16nmFF. The numbers next to "nm" are really pretty meaningless these days. They'd struggle to fit evn one SM into 75mm2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom