• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath on Switch - A Great Port Of A Classic Game?

Fake

A classic OG Xbox release has arrived on Nintendo Switch, and while it's not perfect, it's a highly impressive piece of work. @dark10x has all of the details, all of the performance analysis and every pertinent head-to-head comparison you could ask for!

Summary:

- This Switch version is based on the HD version release on PS3 with some changes.
- The original Xbox version runs at 480p, on PS3 runs at 720p and the Switch runs at native 1080p.
- 1080p while dock, 720p while portable.
- While the PS3 use the MSAA, the original Xbox and PSVita lacks AA, the Switch give two options for AA.
- In options, you can choise two types of AA: MSAA and FXAA.
- You can even disable AA.
- Switch use a lower texture filtering settings AF than the PS3 version.
- PS3 version show less pop in than the Switch version, like grass, trees, etc...
- In Switch, grass can cast shadows while not in PS3 version.
- This cames due to a bandwidth problems limitations on Switch games.
- Switch version also get some new options for UI.
- There are more options for camera position as well.
- Support for Gyro Aim.
- Performance:
- PS3 runs at 60 and hold pretty good, but not perfect. With some dips here and there.
- Just for note: One area of the entire game get dips in all versions above.
- While Switch docked and FXAA, the game runs at 60 in the same way the PS3 with some dips here and there.
- While Switch docked and MSAA, this have a massive hit on performance. Between 10~5 fps difference.
- While Switch docked and no AA, the game runs almost locked 60.
- While Switch portable and FXAA, most of the dips present while docked are absolute gone. Is almost perfect.
- While Switch portable and MSAA, the performance, even with dips, get more smoth than the MSAA while docked.
- While Switch portable and no AA, the games runs almost locked 60 as well, but get less dips than any other options yet.

Last edited:

Birdo

Banned
Yet another "It's not that good, but it's impressive" DF Switch port review :messenger_grinning_squinting:

EDIT: Title has been changed from "Impressive".

Last edited:

RAIDEN1

What surprises me is, the "pop in" which is visible on the Switch compared to the decades old PS3 version, didn't expect that....

Banned
MSAA obviously for future proofing the game when the Switch Pro is out ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
perfect 60fps with MSAA only on Switch pro!

Blond

Banned
What surprises me is, the "pop in" which is visible on the Switch compared to the decades old PS3 version, didn't expect that....

Probably to account for the increased RES. It probably should've been 900P honestly, that seems like a good spot for switch games.

Grinchy

Banned
The gyro aiming could be interesting.

I actually bought this game on Xbox way back in the day. It was really interesting but ultimately just didn't hold my attention for whatever reason. I tried it again on Vita and the same thing happened.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Yet another "It's not that good, but it's impressive" DF Switch port review :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Eh, I wouldn't say it's impressive at all. It's just a nice port with a few drawbacks.

Edit: Ohhhhh - I see. The title and tweet say that. Yeah, well, I don't write those ha ha.

Last edited:

dark10x

I get the title from the youtube channel title. Who is in charge of the youtube profile? hehehehe
Rich does all the titles for us (usually - sometimes I handle the retro vids) since, well, I'm not great at coming up with catchy titles, I suppose.

Banned
D dark10x
how well implemented is the gyro aiming?
because many devs seem to be unable to implement it well... is it Splatoon 2 levels of goodness or absolutely awful like in Fortnite?
while Splatoon handles gyro aiming like direct mouse inputs, many games like Fortnite have massive amounts of acceleration and smoothing that completely ruin precise movements

Last edited:

dark10x

D dark10x
how well implemented is the gyro aiming?
because many devs seem to be unable to implement it well... is it Splatoon 2 levels of goodness or absolutely awful like in Fortnite?
while Splatoon handles gyro aiming like direct mouse inputs, many games like Fortnite have massive amounts of acceleration and smoothing that completely ruin precise movements
Hmm...I haven't tried it in Fortnite. When I tested it, I was holding the two Joy-con like a Wii-mote and I thought it felt pretty nice. There is some smoothing but, overall, it was easy enough to use. It's not quite Splatoon good, though.

Mr Hyde

Thinking about getting this. Had loads of fun with it on PS3. Really bizarre humour and the western setting is very cool. Wish there be a physical release. Digital only is so fucking boring.

Banned
Hmm...I haven't tried it in Fortnite. When I tested it, I was holding the two Joy-con like a Wii-mote and I thought it felt pretty nice. There is some smoothing but, overall, it was easy enough to use. It's not quite Splatoon good, though.

I personally think smoothing and acceleration on gyro aiming is absolutely awful.
Direct 1 to 1 input is way better.

Call of Duty Mobile for example also directly translates your movements and has almost PC Mouse levels of precision because of it.

I really don't get why not everyone does it that way

Karak

Ya all pretty much exactly what I found in my coverage as well. Regardless of the issues the game is a blast

Top Bottom