• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Prey + Dishonored: FPS Boost Is A Game-Changer For Xbox Series X|S - And It's Not Just About 60fps

The next wave of FPS Boost games for Xbox Series X|S has arrived - and in Prey and Dishonored Definitive Edition, we can better experience stone-cold classic titles from the brilliant Arkane Studio. Frame-rates are massively improved as you would expect, but it turns out that FPS Boost delivers *more* than just a doubling of performance...

D dark10x and Alex break down the latest additions to FPS Boost club on Series

Summary incoming (not sure what there is to summarize, this isn't a head to head, but we'll see):

Prey
- 60 fps on Series S and Series X
- X uses One X settings (1440p, I believe they mention, added SSR, etc, increased 16x AF on Series)
- Series S uses One S settings
- Input latency greatly improved running on Series
- Load times on last gen consoles are over a minute, load times on Series are in 10-13 seconds range
- D dark10x says all the improvements on Series make it feel like a pseudo-remaster

Dishonored
- Never got mid-gen patches, so locked on 1080p on all console platforms
- First title they have tested with FPS Boos that exhibits small issues, minor dips and hitches occasionally pop up associated with UI elements appearing on screen, wonder if it is legacy issue from the dated engine
- These minor dips only go as low as 57 fps in those spots
- Loading time improvement makes an even bigger difference than Prey, given the nature of the game, experimentation, constantly reloading for various reasons
- Last gen consoles load the game in 45 seconds
- Series loads the game in 1-2 seconds

4ZVGI80.png

Also, for the quota:

Schitts Creek Comedy GIF by CBC

dj khaled GIF

general election uk GIF by BBC

Last edited:

Stuart360

It's funny next Gen is all about last Gen games 🤣 even I played more ps4 then ps5 on my ps5. Honestly this is the worst new Gen ever. Luckily the last gen was brilliant.
It seems obvious to me that the consoles were supposed to launch this year, not last. Obviously they both wanted to be out first though.

NickFire

It seems obvious to me that the consoles were supposed to launch this year, not last. Obviously they both wanted to be out first though.
I'm not completely convinced that they each targeted last year to prevent being second. It's possible they expected much more stuff to be ready by now / close to now and had delays due to Covid. But I am definitely suspicious because this new gen is absolutely starved for new gen games. All the news about better versions is fine and dandy, but it does nothing for me personally.

Stuart360

No, they were 100% "Supposed" to come out in 2020. Software being late has nothing to do with hardware being ready. Covid messed up software but hardware was far further along.
And likewsie, hardware being ready doesnt mean you have to launch then if you have no software.
Imo at least one of them had this year as the launch date when they orig started planning. In fact werent there a lot of rumours that PS5 WAS supposed to launch this year?

Soodanim

Playing Dishonored 2 on my PC is something I rarely do because the initial load with an SSD still takes forever and a day. If they manage to do the same on console, well done them. I don't remember how long 1 takes.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Its weird how 'FPS Boost' is sometimes boosting the XB1 version of games, and some Boost games are boosting the OneX versions. I guess that explains why Fallout 4 and 76 looked lower rez, as they are probably the XB1 versions being boosted.

Prey is a such a great game. I am so glad that I never played this before.
Man, I'm jealous. But maybe not because I played it on PC in 4k 120 FPS with mouse and keyboard, super fast loading and high FOV. Okay, I'm not jealous.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

intbal

I like their suggestions for upcoming FPS Boost candidates

Ryse: Son of Rome
Arkham Knight

does Dishonored 2 run at 60fps on One X/Pro? If not, would be nice to add Dishonored 2 to the FPS Boost club
Arkham Knight doesn't need it as much as Batman: Return to Arkham. Those games are locked to a completely wacky 45fps. So is Condemned: Criminal Origins.
Crysis 2 and 3 are locked at 31fps, which causes non-stop judder.
I'm sure there are other examples which have screwed up framerates which ruin the experience.

I've been waiting for a 60 fps update for Prey on Playstation consoles, so I would buy the game.
It seems that wont happen.

Oh well, there are so many other games to play.

HotPocket69

Banned
Dishonored isn’t worth a replay regardless of quicker loading and a better framerate. The AI is pure shit especially if you want to do perfect stealth.

Prey on the other hand is the best new Metroid that no one played because they’re stupid.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Started replaying Dishonored last night and it's still a great game. 1080p is noticeable, but works okay with the muddy art style. Plays smooth as butter though.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Did not wathc DF´s video, but based on FO4, nothing special about it. After months of PR, this looks like just a change under the graphic settings menu.

Ultra, 4K30 or Low, 2K60

Y54Xkh5.png

Stuart360

Did not wathc DF´s video, but based on FO4, nothing special about it. After months of PR, this looks like just a change under the graphic settings menu.

Ultra, 4K30 or Low, 2K60

Y54Xkh5.png
The FPS Boost technique doesnt touch settings, but it does seem there is something going on with Fallout 4 and 76. All the other games look identicle, with identicle resolution to their XB1 or OneX version (Skyrim at 4k for example).
Also a bit harsh to say 'after months of PR'. They only first mentioned FPS Boost about a month ago with those first few games, then only mentioned it again this week with the Bethesda games.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Not a game changer.

This is the Pepsi challenge for gaming.

Played the first 6 months of Fortnite at 30fps. In love with it.

Epic boosted it to 60fps. Didn't love it any more or any less.

I prefer everything at 60fps now but if the entire industry went back to 30fps, we'd all adjust in a few days time.

GametimeUK

It's funny next Gen is all about last Gen games 🤣 even I played more ps4 then ps5 on my ps5. Honestly this is the worst new Gen ever. Luckily the last gen was brilliant.
Because last gen games didn't run well on last gen hardware. Console players are finally getting decent performance and it's a fantastic step forward. I'd say this generation has started off better than last gen for sure.

Shmunter

That Prey update is hnnnngghhh

But what of the elephant in the room with the rest of the batch seemingly running Xbox VCR versions on XsX? Bug?

Max_Po

Banned

Ultra, 4K30 or Low, 2K60

Y54Xkh5.png

I installed it and I noticed the image was soft. I knew the resolution was lower than before.

ZehDon

Ultra, 4K30 or Low, 2K60

Y54Xkh5.png
Let me see if I understand this...

Posts in a thread about a video on Prey and Dishonoured.
Proudly declares they didn't watch video.
Proceeds to post images from a different video about a different game.
Claims nothing special about Prey or Dishonoured based on images not from Prey or Dishonoured taken from a video not being discussed.

What a fucking terrible post.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The FPS Boost technique doesnt touch settings, but it does seem there is something going on with Fallout 4 and 76. All the other games look identicle, with identicle resolution to their XB1 or OneX version (Skyrim at 4k for example).
Also a bit harsh to say 'after months of PR'. They only first mentioned FPS Boost about a month ago with those first few games, then only mentioned it again this week with the Bethesda games.
True, but... they mentioned the frame doubling boost they were investigating in when DF was covering BC early on. People have choice, some games like Skyrim and Prey are the enhanced Xbox One X edition at 60 FPS (right?) while others are running either the base Xbox One version or a lower resolution version at 60 FPS. Still great for players, but they were not very transparent about the tradeoffs in the earlier PR.

Last edited:
Top Bottom