• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF PS5 analysis (prepare to be uninterested)

vpance

You can get away with it when you’re just one of many thousands of smaller YouTubers, trying to stand out from the crowd, but when you’re the recognised main source for video game technical information with a million subscribers, you really should start acting like an outlet that aspires to sound at least a little bit objective, and not quite so annoyed when you do t get to play with something early.

If an influential outlet like DF allows their opinion to be swayed by how much free stuff the receive, that’s a big problem, and the cries of bias start to become understandable.

It’s kind of funny how DF don’t realize this while declaring themselves as journalists. But I guess that’s just a reflection of journalism at large these days.

Aceofspades

Banned
Thanks.

Wow. It's both larger and heavier than the Original Xbox.
I guess it can't be sold in Japan, then. Since we were constantly informed back then that Original Xbox was just too massive for Japanese homes.

Yes, It won't sell in Japan and yet...it will outsell Xbox at least 2:1 🤣

Lysandros

Wait, was he actually worried about the expansion SDD overheating?! Contrary to Microsoft's solution this compartment has its own air flow coming right from the big centrifugal fan and going out by the rear vents (upper section).

Last edited:

LarknThe4th

Sony should send em one, but as he said in the vid they are trying a different type of marketing so it probably isnt likely

Interesting watch though, they always make good videos at DF

JLB

Banned
Wait, was he actually worried about the expansion SDD overheating?! Contrary to Microsoft's solution this compartment has its own air flow coming right from the big centrifugal fan and going out by the rear vents.

By using by fantastic logic the whole back panel of the PS5 would be compromised, you know where is the power cable, rj45, etc.

JimboJones

Wait, was he actually worried about the expansion SDD overheating?! Contrary to Microsoft's solution this compartment has its own air flow coming right from the big centrifugal fan and going out by the rear vents.

No, he's not worried, if you had watched the video you'll see he is more curious on how they are keeping it cool as he is sure Sony has thought about this. 🙄

Last edited:

Self

Richard and DF had earned the right to have that interview with that guy

I'm not too sure mate. DF is cool and all, but they have earned the right when Sony decides so.

If social media hype is to be trusted then Sony has done the right thing.
MS has to show off, not Sony - the market leader.

Lysandros

No, he's not worried, if you had watched the video you'll see he is more curious on how they are keeping it cool as he is sure Sony has thought about this.
I don't watch DF videos, i was going by the posters comments, but more importantly 'yes, Sony obviously thought about this' no need to be 'concerned'..

Edit: The concern in question is Richard's (usual).

Last edited:
I don't watch DF videos, i was going by the posters comments, but more importantly 'yes, Sony obviously thought about this' no need to be 'concerned'..

M.2 SSDs do get very hot without an heatsink though. Reduction in performance due to really high temperature is a real thing. Still, Richard clearly says Sony surely did not miss this problematic, that we just do not see how they tackle this issue in the video. He also suggests that the main fan is perhaps taking care of the cooling because of its proximity. The video overall is very positive. You should watch it if you have any question or doubt.

Last edited:

FrankWza

Wait, was he actually worried about the expansion SDD overheating?! Contrary to Microsoft's solution this compartment has its own air flow coming right from the big centrifugal fan and going out by the rear vents (upper section).

Yeah. And failed to mention dram too. He goes into the cooling of the SSD but barely anything about it technically

Lysandros

Exactly, no one is concerned here, except you. Your concern over someone else's perceived concern which turns out isn't concern but in fact curiosity is quite concerning.
I was talking about 'Richard's' usual concern about anything related to Playstation friend. I am not interested in going to arguments with you in the slightest, you were the one to jump at my comment, give me a break will you?

Last edited:

NXGamer

M.2 SSDs do get very hot without an heatsink though. Reduction in performance due to really high temperature is a real thing. Still, Richard clearly says Sony surely did not miss this problematic, that we just do not see how they tackle this issue in the video. He also suggests that the main fan is perhaps taking care of the cooling because of its proximity. The video overall is very positive. You should watch it if you have any question or doubt.
It's all fine, I covered it in my video, so you can rest easy as Sony can now know that another YT 'expert' helped them solve this complex engineering issue

Thank me later ;-)

JimboJones

I was talking about 'Richard's usual concern about anything related to Playstation friend. I am not interested in going to arguments with you in the slightest, you were the one to jump at my comment, give me a break will you?
Do us a favour and at least watch the video if your looking to actually add to the discussion.

Lysandros

Okay, thanks for the additional info. But like i said, i stopped watching DF content some time ago by principe.

Last edited:
This isn't like harassing a mailman for simply delivery mail. These guys choose to do this, nothing is forced on them.

A mailman chooses to be a mailman. Everyone has the right not to be harassed at work - as a consumer your recourse is simply not to consume, your recourse is not to abuse, I would say particularly not over a simple difference of opinion or perceived bias.

Senua

Really, did that actually happen?

I was referring to John and Alex that have entered many of my threads when raised.
Yes Richard was a known troll on gaf back in the day, he used to post stuff like "Playstation is for nonces" and run off. Usually resulting in a ban but he'd always return with different accounts like "Richard2" and even "Richard3" one time, using similar phrases. It was entertaining to say the least.

NXGamer

Yes Richard was a known troll on gaf back in the day, he used to post stuff like "Playstation is for nonces" and run off. Usually resulting in a ban but he'd always return with different accounts like "Richard2" and even "Richard3" one time, using similar phrases. It was entertaining to say the least.

Wow, that sounds really bad, cannot believe it. Good thing you spotted it and saved the day :messenger_clapping::messenger_bicep:
Sure looks like to me you're doing self-promotion, very tacky. DF doesn't even post here anymore thanks to Sony super fans, but If they did do that, it would be just as tacky as you doing it.

Have you not seen above, I would worry far more about that if I was you, terrible business, terrible :messenger_pensive:

Last edited:
It's all fine, I covered it in my video, so you can rest easy as Sony can now know that another YT 'expert' helped them solve this complex engineering issue

Thank me later ;-)

Thanks! I didn't know you released a video on the subject. While we're at it, as the subject resurfaced a bit, I think DF videos and yours complement each others very well and thus I do not see any issue with you posting this video in this DF thread or vice-versa. To me, in the end, it's about discussing the subject displayed here. As such, I am not going to restrain myself from useful information that someone may have noticed that I didn't for example.

Jose92

[Membe
Sure looks like to me you're doing self-promotion, very tacky. DF doesn't even post here anymore thanks to Sony super fans, but If they did do that, it would be just as tacky as you doing it.
To be fair to NxGamer in his video he does answer some of the concerns raised by the DF, so i dont see a problem he himself promoting a video that actually is directly related to the raised question.

intbal

Yes, It won't sell in Japan and yet...it will outsell Xbox at least 2:1 🤣

No No No.
You have completely underestimated Microsoft's brilliance.

While bloated anchor-weight PS5s sit unsold on store shelves, the Japanese will by scooping up Series X units by the truckload to use as compact space heaters.

Senua

Wow, that sounds really bad, cannot believe it. Good thing you spotted it and saved the day :messenger_clapping::messenger_bicep:
I saved it yes, but it was only temporary. I like the guy but I didn't understand why owning a playstation made people nonces, or was it the other way around? He also voted leave, but I can forgive him for that.

mckmas8808

Banned
Of course its true .all media outlets got ps4 and pro from 10 days to 7 days from launch (in that time frame)

So then why are ALL OF THEM complaining now that they don't have a PS5 yet? Don't they know their own history? Or does Sony just have to literally do everything MS does with the Xbox?

Reactions: TLZ

Jose92

[Membe
I saved it yes, but it was only temporary. I like the guy but I didn't understand why owning a playstation made people nonces, or was it the other way around? He also voted leave, but I can forgive him for that.
You chatting shit, did he actually vote leave?

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Lol comes into a DF thread to plug own video, classy ;)
fPKPoKP.gif

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

Have you not seen above, I would worry far more about that if I was you, terrible business, terrible :messenger_pensive:

I've never heard about this, before and it's shocking behavior. I think it's horrible and goes far beyond being tacky.

Seems to me Xbox super fans with a side of PC super fans are trying to drive NxGamer away all in the name of console wars - and the attacks aren't subtle either. As for the lovely DF, two of them ran because it's not a good look in SJW' circles to hang on Gaf after EvilLore's MeToo split.... while the loneman John got caught writing from a script, making a fluff piece on Gears 5, while billing it as analysis, and made a fool of himself here when called out by KingThrash video. Hence... why he stays away. Now that's the uncomfortable truth.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Banned
They make more money if people send them things to review as it's far more interesting than watching a video about a video. It also helps them get things out in a timely fashion vs. waiting for stuff, which again.. makes them more money.

I don't understand why people fault them for "being salty" here. It's literally part of their job to try to get companies to send them stuff.

They need to be less transparent about their saltiness then. It's not professional.

Reactions: TLZ

McCheese

Please guys, behave. John already ragequit, don't do the same with NX.

It's ok, we got KingThrashGaming still right? :messenger_sunglasses: John taking a break from forums was for the best, guys having a bad year judging by his twitter feed and doesn't need to get caught in fanboy bullshit.

Watched the video and think DF did a pretty decent job, hadn't really thought about how they would cool the SSD and that cover does look like it could be designed to conduct heat. Good job by Rich spotting this stuff.

Last edited:
I'm not yet convinced XSX SSD is any different. The below pic was used by a YouTuber to suggest it looked like it was easily replaceable but I'm not so sure that isn't just a CG cutaway to show the inside.

xbox_series_ssd_2.jpg

This real picture of the SSD from Austin Evans construction video makes it look like a sealed unit to me that is then soldered to the motherboard. Even if it isn't it still doesn't look easy or cheap to replace. I think both consoles could be expensive outside warranty if you are unlucky to have a SSD fail.

Ej_cM0RXYAECegF.jpg

It's obvious that this SDD is not fixed, it's just protected and you aren't supposed to change it yourself.
If it breaks Microsoft support can change it for you, after all, it's not only a matter of putting a brand new SSD there, the new SSD will need to be formatted with the SO and backup of your account.

Now on PS5 this repair will be impossible.

Top Bottom