• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF PS5 analysis (prepare to be uninterested)

NXGamer

Please guys, behave. John already ragequit, don't do the same with NX.
Thanks man, I do appreciate it, but I am fine with any jibes. Being older in my years I am very much a Sticks and stones kinda guy.

That said, I do prefer informed discussion and POV without just hurling insults or, even worse, latching on to be offended at the drop of a hat or feigning other things around that.
It's obvious that this SDD is not fixed, it's just protected and you aren't supposed to change it yourself.
If it breaks Microsoft support can change it for you, after all, it's not only a matter of putting a brand new SSD there, the new SSD will need to be formatted with the SO and backup of your account.

Now on PS5 this repair will be impossible.
No, it wont.

Not only that, if MS continue the Hardware Key Locking as they always have, then you/me will NEVER be able to replace the SSD.

Ironically Sony always have, so in the end any repairs post 12 months COULD be possible on PS5 and Impossible on SX.

That said I think we can all rest easy on this worry, including the SSD bay that gets a constant surge of cool air at all times, for at least 12 months+. Giving us all time to enjoy one or all of these next gen consoles and the great games they will provide.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Someone bribe NXGamer NXGamer with a million sub count to get him to stay on our team!!!

alz30oV.png

TLZ

Banned
Lol comes into a DF thread to plug own video, classy ;)
Sure looks like to me you're doing self-promotion, very tacky. DF doesn't even post here anymore thanks to Sony super fans, but If they did do that, it would be just as tacky as you doing it.
Let the man do his hussle ;)

Yes Richard was a known troll on gaf back in the day, he used to post stuff like "Playstation is for nonces" and run off. Usually resulting in a ban but he'd always return with different accounts like "Richard2" and even "Richard3" one time, using similar phrases. It was entertaining to say the least.
Wtf :messenger_hushed:

Isn't this even more proof the man, or DF in general, are too biased if something so blatant as this came out of him? I do hope he grew up (matured more) since. That's very childish of someone of his age.

Last edited:

bargeparty

A mailman chooses to be a mailman. Everyone has the right not to be harassed at work - as a consumer your recourse is simply not to consume, your recourse is not to abuse, I would say particularly not over a simple difference of opinion or perceived bias.

You don't understand the comparison. Mail must be delivered and the mailman is not responsible for what is in the mail.

DF goes out of their way to make these videos and comparisons and the manner in which they conduct themselves and their content is absolutely up for scrutiny.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Thanks man, I do appreciate it, but I am fine with any jibes. Being older in my years I am very much a Sticks and stones kinda guy.

That said, I do prefer informed discussion and POV without just hurling insults or, even worse, latching on to be offended at the drop of a hat or feigning other things around that.

No, it wont.

Not only that, if MS continue the Hardware Key Locking as they always have, then you/me will NEVER be able to replace the SSD.

Ironically Sony always have, so in the end any repairs post 12 months COULD be possible on PS5 and Impossible on SX.

That said I think we can all rest easy on this worry, including the SSD bay that gets a constant surge of cool air at all times, for at least 12 months+. Giving us all time to enjoy one or all of these next gen consoles and the great games they will provide.

We are not replacing the SSD on either system.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Agree - point taken. NXGamer NXGamer sorry if I was overly harsh.

Seems to me Xbox super fans with a side of PC super fans are trying to drive NxGamer away all in the name of console wars - and the attacks aren't subtle either. As for the lovely DF, two of them ran because it's not a good look in SJW' circles to hang on Gaf after EvilLore's MeToo split.... while the loneman John got caught writing from a script, making a fluff piece on Gears 5, while billing it as analysis, and made a fool of himself here when called out by KingThrash video. Hence... why he stays away. Now that's the uncomfortable truth.

What a load of garbage that has nothing to do with reality.

pyrocro

From the salty to the envious, all of the boxes checked in this thread.
Was the video interesting? only because of Richards's presentation style.
did we learn anything new? only that the PS5 dev kits have 620ish GB of free space, which is a good indicator but does not really say anything about final retail.

the biggest reveal is actually here in the thread.
where people say DF is salty for wanting a PS5 and not getting it but is also bias to the thing they want Soo much that they are salty.

Why does Richard say "patents" like that? He pronounces it "Pay-Tents" lol.
Because it's how English is spoken by the creators of the language.
I want to think you're not being serious, but I really think you asking this for real.

Last edited:
Why is the SSD being soldered to the motherboard a concern?
It's a concern in much the same way repair companies have bemoaned phones and laptops doing it. If the SSD is soldered onto the board, then if the SSD goes, typically the whole board has to go. Can also make any potential data recovery harder should the board go but the SSD actually still work.

Granted this is LESS of a concern for consoles, but I can see the unease. That being said, with this literally being a legit custom job and not a "custom" job, I wholesale expected it.

This post didn't warrant a new thread because we have enough threads on the matter, but I still don't know what console to get first because I'm a big supporter of exclusivity (PS5) but have a whole group I play with on Xbox One. There are, however, two different individual reasons for me buying either console on day one:

PS5: Best launch lineup since the PS2 including BC and Demon's Souls and Spider-Man. Actual exclusives at launch?!
XSX: Guaranteed performance upgrades to BC upgrades, and I want to "upgrade" my One S without wasting that $500 on a One X.

From the salty to the envious, all of the boxes checked in this thread.
Was the video interesting? only because of Richards's presentation style.
did we learn anything new? only that the PS5 dev kits have 620ish GB of free space, which is a good indicator but does not really say anything about final retail.

the biggest reveal is actually here in the thread.
where people say DF is salty for wanting a PS5 and not getting it but is also bias to the thing they want Soo much that they are salty.

Because it's how English is spoken by the creators of the language.
I want to think you're not being serious, but I really think you asking this for real.

Who cares? I don't even think you can say for certain that Brits are the creators of the language but even then, I don't find that makes the pronunciation more valid, or warrants such a silly response. Brits evolved the language over time but we Americans perfected it, simplified it, and in that way evolved it. Agree to disagree I guess, since it's all subjective.

Last edited:

Tomeru

I thought the ssd in xsx is also soldered? What is the difference between both?

Edit:
Much easier to replace, but its custom, so no real difference. If both break down under warranty, both get replaced. After warranty period ends, you have to pay either way so...

Last edited:

pyrocro

Of course I'm asking for real. I've literally never heard someone say the word "patents" like "Pay-Tents". It feels odd.
Travel a bit my dude, watch a foreign film now and again.
Or just befriend a brit on social media, you're sounding a bit closed of there, save yourself from not knowing.

Last edited:

MaulerX

XsX has soldered SSD? How come we didn’t know that if that teardown was months ago 🤔

I'm sure it has already been pointed out but the Series X SSD is NOT soldered to the mother board.

Of course this does not mean that it's meant to be user replaceable but if it ever goes bad a repair man (or even you) can just swap it out. With the PS5 you would have to replace the entire motherboard.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
If you have an alternate retelling of events please do provide it. Unless of course it's all evil SonyGaf's doing... then you could save yourself the time.

Here is the post to John from one of the usual suspects in the always fair and balanced Next Gen Spec thread where DF is constantly maligned, accused of bias and other misdeeds that did it:
Here you are playing victim again. Oh showing off that you have a bigger dick with your collection that you probably got for free or didn't even pay for with your money? Nobody gives a shit. Your site is biased and it clearly shows. Your name is tied with Digital Foundry, deal with it. If you had any ounce of ethic you would've spoke up but no you can't stand up to your bosses who puts food on your table. For a guy that dissects games, you can't even tell me that AMD's presentation clearly meant RDNA 2 for both consoles? Are you fucking kidding me. Stop being disingenuous. Go play victim on ree where they worship you guys.

I think that's a just little bit worse than saying NXGamer NXGamer was plugging his own video in a DF thread although that was probably out of line too so I do apologize to him.

Here is where John quit:
That’s a pretty shitty thing to say but you’re probably right. This feels like such a tiny thing compared to everything else going on, though, so fuck it. I will do as you say and leave.

Oh, and not that it matters, but of course PS5 is RDNA2. I never said otherwise. I just hadn’t seen that presentation until today because I was not in town. I expect amazing things from PS5.

If mods are reading, maybe reach out. I’d like to say just delete my account or maybe a temporary ban would be better. This is my final post here. Appreciate the folks that have been kind. If you want to stay in touch, reach out elsewhere.

Entroyp

I'm sure it has already been pointed out but the Series X SSD is NOT soldered to the mother board.

Of course this does not mean that it's meant to be user replaceable but if it ever goes bad a repair man (or even you) can just swap it out. With the PS5 you would have to replace the entire motherboard.

So it’s a standard NVME drive, just like the one you can add the the PS5?

Here is the post to John from one of the usual suspects in the always fair and balanced Next Gen Spec thread where DF is constantly maligned, accused of bias and other misdeeds that did it:

Same stunt he pulled with Thrash and others that carried over - he did not recover from that on Gaf. Not everyone bought his pleas at face value - and he made his "personal issues" part of the drama. Demigod wasn't the only one that didn't buy the act - the victim card was simply overused. To claim otherwise is to claim it was a failure of the moderation staff to keep order and proper discussion. There are subtleties in BS that some simply don't pick up.... but others do. He wasn't driven out. He chose to leave when the environment got hot as a consequence of the Gears 5/Thrash revelations and discussions.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yes Richard was a known troll on gaf back in the day, he used to post stuff like "Playstation is for nonces" and run off. Usually resulting in a ban but he'd always return with different accounts like "Richard2" and even "Richard3" one time, using similar phrases. It was entertaining to say the least.
Is that true or is that a joke?

pyrocro

This post didn't warrant a new thread because we have enough threads on the matter, but I still don't know what console to get first because I'm a big supporter of exclusivity (PS5) but have a whole group I play with on Xbox One. There are, however, two different individual reasons for me buying either console on day one:

PS5: Best launch lineup since the PS2 including BC and Demon's Souls and Spider-Man. Actual exclusives at launch?!
XSX: Guaranteed performance upgrades to BC upgrades, and I want to "upgrade" my One S without wasting that $500 on a One X.

Who cares? I don't even think you can say for certain that Brits are the creators of the language but even then, I don't find that makes the pronunciation more valid, or warrants such a silly response. Brits evolved the language over time but we Americans perfected it, simplified it, and in that way evolved it. Agree to disagree I guess, since it's all subjective.
really.
You're going to argue the English didn't create English.🤯(jeeez Luiz)
it's valid because it follows the English(British) rules of pronouncing patent.
I'm sure an American can justify the American way of pronouncing using American English rules.
he's a brit so his pronunciation is well British.
but what you wrote up there says nothing.
no one is comparing but you.

Anyways always good to have a level-headed video from DF.

sublimit

Banned
Man his bitterness for not getting a PS5 to teardown themselves is so obvious it hurts. I actually feel bad for them and i'm willing to bet real money that they are going to be even more negative towards the system when they get one out of spite for Sony for not leting them being the first to teardown the console (imagine if all those 8 million views were on their video).

Their huge egos must have been hurt pretty badly.

Self

Man his bitterness for not getting a PS5 to teardown themselves is so obvious it hurts. I actually feel bad for them and i'm willing to bet real money that they are going to be even more negative towards the system when they get one out of spite for Sony for not leting them being the first to teardown the console (imagine if all those 8 million views were on their video).

I'm pretty sure it hurts, but still... he did a good job.

Do you have a source for that? Certainly the images we have seen of the board aren't conclusive either way.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I dug the thread the last time you asked for a link. Why don't you dig through your post history and suit yourself.
You edited after the fact so I didn't see the notification and the subsequent link. Looking at it now, you say you "think" it's in a thread but don't provide a quote.

It's one of Gaf's biggest drama threads ever... lets see if I can dig it up.

I think it's this one... page 4 and on gets going.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/stop...wondering-if-patreon-needs-improving.1504594/

Don't see anything about a script yet.

pyrocro

What is the proof of this?
there is none they have talking points they have to hit to get paid one would think.
You will wait for an eternity for their weak source proof of a type-O proving Jhon and Hitler were lovers which caused him to lose the war.
you can beg these guys for logic all you want you will not get it.

Of all the channels on youtube for them to go after they go after DF, the Site a vast majority of game journalists cite, mention, or steal from because they present comprehensive proveable analysis.

YodaBB

Nice to see Richard concern trolling about the SSD temperatures 🤡 Just leave the metal cover off and it will be getting plenty of air over it - more than 90% of NVMes inside PC cases I'd guess - some of them have NVMe slots right underneath the graphics card. Ideally, I guess, you would want a heatsink just high enough to go above the plastic housing to protude into the incoming airflow, with the fins aligned with the direction of flow (so across the short length of the drive angled towards the fan).

One thing I just noticed with the fan is that it has an asymmetric splitter to drive more air onto the APU side, kinda cool.

SR8Amqf.png

Drinking is never a good solution.

Unless the solution is 80 proof minimum.

FranXico

Imagine such a troll with fame and a soapbox.

Kssio_Aug

I really want to know what you people are smoking. But whatever it is, it might be strong.

Last edited:

GiJoint

No, he's not worried, if you had watched the video you'll see he is more curious on how they are keeping it cool as he is sure Sony has thought about this. 🙄
Haha yep he was curious about the cooling but you get the classic jumping to conclusions that he’s being negative and now some people are saying Richard is concern trolling :messenger_tears_of_joy: Are Sony fans the softest fans around? They’re extremely precious.

Last edited:
John is doing just fine. Look for yourself

So instead of just taking a small break from the toxicity of social media, John instead tries to inflame the situation further and open himself up to even more abuse by posting this image of him potentially wanting to drown his sorrows in a bottle of alchohol.

Does this guy love the attention or is he just a sucker for the toxicity of social media platforms.

GiJoint

So instead of just taking a small break from the toxicity of social media, John instead tries to inflame the situation further and open himself up to even more abuse by posting this image of him potentially wanting to drown his sorrows in a bottle of alchohol.

Does this guy love the attention or is he just a sucker for the toxicity of social media platforms.
He does seem to daily post something depressing on Twitter the guy needs to get off it. Spend time with the wife, play some games.

He does seem to daily post something depressing on Twitter the guy needs to get off it. Spend time with the wife, play some games.
It doesn't make sense to me this latest post of his of an alcohol bottle.

'Yeah go ahead you alcoholic'
'You're a fucking drunk'

I mean this ^^ is what you can expect in the responses to his post. Why the fuck would you open yourself up like that? People can be assholes and its all too easy to be an asshole behind an anonymous online profile.

EDIT: For me it's genuinely concerning John's state of mind currently. Can sense the guy is struggling or hurt.

Checked that post of his and lo and behold, more abuse from twitter users. Jesus Christ.

Last edited:
You edited after the fact so I didn't see the notification and the subsequent link. Looking at it now, you say you "think" it's in a thread but don't provide a quote.

It takes time to dig a thread... which is why I told you to wait while I dug. My cynic side tells me you saw it... too quick to pull it up from your history.

7) You used an interview with the coalition as a reference and quoted many of the things in the video even before that interview was made public making it seem like you found this stuff during the analysis...why?

Yes, of course. We've done this many times
. These were OUR questions which we sent off to them - that was the whole point. We've done this many times when developers are willing to - and they often are. You combine that with additional research using white papers and GDC talks.

So then, the big issues I have with the video you made stem from 1) misinterpreting bits from other videos I made as being somehow negative when they were not 2) misinterpreting things such as optimization - you joke about the smoke cloud - and say "You call this optimization?" but...that's exactly what optimization is! You find ways to reduce the complexity of certain features to improve performance - every developer does this. Some do it better than others. 3) Misunderstanding the use of the word 'we' - my friend, that is a common usage of the word - "Here we have this interesting specimen" or "...and over here, we have this remarkable piece of art". It's suggesting that we, as the collective user base, are benefiting from the thing in question. It is not used to indicate ownership and it was not a quote. You misinterpreted it, man, and I use that phrasing all the time.

Looking back, I DO think I was maybe over enthusiastic and a lot of that comes down to the production time - it takes a long time to edit, write, research, interview and capture for a project like this. It was my honest opinion as always.

The main thing I missed is the lack of interactivity on things - and I wish I could go back and discuss that. This is where games like God of War vastly exceed Gears 5 - that's why those details were in the God of War video, because I noticed them and they were impressive.

No matter how you feel about it, though, the video was made the same way as it's always made. I don't work in an office - we're a very small team. I'm just a guy working out of his house and, yeah, I don't have a lot of confidence these days as is. I did the best I could to deliver an interesting, educational video but clearly it wasn't good enough. For the next 'big' game, I'm going to push myself to the limits to do even better - that'll probably be Death Stranding which is pretty much my first or second most anticipated game (about tied with Doom Eternal).

As always - if there is something that is truly not clear, I can go into additional detail. If you're missing something, just ask!

That’s cool man. You at least see where I’m coming from, though. I guess it really comes down to time. Like...I had three weeks with God of War whereas I had like 3-4 days with Gears and couldn’t do as much as I wanted as a result.

We mentioned this once before but did you know that the initial review builds of God of War had severe frame pacing and tearing issues? I managed to get in touch with Sony about it and shared my findings. They were able to solve the issue and everything was great by launch. I did have access to those guys and did receive answers on some other questions which was great.

I think maybe I’ve just been too positive as of late. It was the same with Link’s Awakening, I suppose, where I wasn’t as harsh as I could have been. I’ll think about that...it’s just how I’ve been feeling as of late.

Anyways, I’m glad we could share this stuff and talk it out and I appreciate you being cool about it.

You can take his defense at face value, or lean innocence (that's your opinion and you have the right to have it) or you can lean on the "BS sprayed with perfume" camp. He made his "analysis" video of Gears 5 with verbatim info from the Coalition (hence the script) as the source. Never did he disclose to his viewers were the info was coming from, and if he analyzed the claims to double check that said devs were correct on the info provided. Not to mention the inconsistencies; (manifested in selective criticism of certain games)... which he had to defend, + the stature elevation of the the Coalition comparing them to Naughty Dog etc.. all based on sourced info from a dev. Simply a puff piece - nothing new. People can claim otherwise but so can I claim that it's.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

JR is gonna help him out! Don't you worry!

GiJoint

It doesn't make sense to me this latest post of his of an alcohol bottle.

'Yeah go ahead you alcoholic'
'You're a fucking drunk'

I mean this ^^ is what you can expect in the responses to his post. Why the fuck would you open yourself up like that? People can be assholes and its all too easy to be an asshole behind an anonymous online profile.

EDIT: For me it's genuinely concerning John's state of mind currently. Can sense the guy is struggling or hurt.
Yep, he does it almost daily, I even flicked him a tweet saying he should get some help, but if he continues to feel sorry for himself on Social the more it comes across as attention seeking.

Top Bottom