• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF PS5 analysis (prepare to be uninterested)

mckmas8808

Banned
Travel a bit my dude, watch a foreign film now and again.
Or just befriend a brit on social media, you're sounding a bit closed of there, save yourself from not knowing.

I didn't say it was bad. Just weird hearing it. I'm used to Brits saying 'Beta' differently than us. They pronounce it 'Bee-Ta', instead of 'Bet-Ta'. Just an observation.

mckmas8808

Banned
It doesn't make sense to me this latest post of his of an alcohol bottle.

'Yeah go ahead you alcoholic'
'You're a fucking drunk'

I mean this ^^ is what you can expect in the responses to his post. Why the fuck would you open yourself up like that? People can be assholes and its all too easy to be an asshole behind an anonymous online profile.

EDIT: For me it's genuinely concerning John's state of mind currently. Can sense the guy is struggling or hurt.

Checked that post of his and lo and behold, more abuse from twitter users. Jesus Christ.

He's been like this for at least a year or so. I feel bad for him, because it's clear to me that he doesn't understand how his actions on Twitter is out making things MORE toxic for him. It's like a feedback loop. I don't think it's attention-seeking. I think he's honestly lost on how to deal with Social Media, considering how much he "needs" it for his current job too.

demigod

Here is the post to John from one of the usual suspects in the always fair and balanced Next Gen Spec thread where DF is constantly maligned, accused of bias and other misdeeds that did it:

I think that's a just little bit worse than saying @NXGamer was plugging his own video in a DF thread although that was probably out of line too so I do apologize to him.

Here is where John quit:

What the hell is your problem? Stop quoting me in every fucking DF thread, jesus. Mod of War Mod of War can you tell them to stop? This is harassment now.

Piku_Ringo

Banned
What the hell is your problem? Stop quoting me in every fucking DF thread, jesus. Mod of War Mod of War can you tell them to stop? This is harassment now.
ZZBVzQa.gif

Grinchy

Banned
Quick résumé :

• Sony's strategy to provide carefully provided bits of information is generating massive amount of hype, puts it in contract to Microsoft's tactic to have journalists get a session with Series X designers and even have them build the Series X themselves
  • The screw-able stand is fairly simple and is included with the console rather than sold separately; Series X, by design, do not have removable stand nor does it need one
  • Appreciates the dust catching outlets easily accessible; notes that cleaning the PS4 in comparison was a significantly harder job as you need to dismantle the console, which required to void the warranty; Huge improvement
  • M.2 storage bay. Different strategy than Microsoft when you have the bespoke 2TB unit from Seagate. On PS5, you have a choice of whitelisted third-party solutions. Richard seems concerned about the temperature of the m.2 SSD as m.2 units get hot rapidly and easily without any thermal solution (heatsink for example) and thus drop in performance rather linearly with temps, but he suspects that Sony thought of that and most likely have a solution for this that we have yet to see in the video, wonders if the main fan unit is helping the SSD cooling.
  • Integrated SSD on mainboard ; cannot be replaced by the user. Stipulates that the compelling leak about usable space on the SSD (664GB), which contradict the fact that development kit has 620GB of usable space, is interested to see how this will turn out on final retail unit.
  • Basic, toyota-like design. Conservative, but based on tried and tested principles. Fewer parts can be a really good thing in context of cost challenges
  • 120x45mm fan unit. Smaller in size than Series X, but much thicker. Likes the custom design and believes there is no comparison on PC space.
  • UHD blu-ray unit. First time in a Sony console. Dampeners to reduce vibrations. Similar work has been done on the One X console and believes the same will be true for Series X.
  • Wifi6. 9.5gbps theoretical bandwidth limit. Unlikely we'll get that speed in real life condition. More interested by the fact that wifi6 is designed to reduce cross-talk between devices which leads to stronger connection, but you'll need a wireless setup with wireless devices capable of wifi6 to benefit from it.
  • Really big motherboard. Puts it in contract to the 2 smaller superposed board of the Series X
  • Talks about the size of the main chip die. Agrees that their estimate to eyeball the size of the Series X were a way out. Explains that the attempts to mesure the PS5 die size by comparing it to Samsung memory package size is somewhat useful to guestimate the size, but that the minutist of error when calculating via pixel count can lead to pretty big errors. 305-320mm2 is probably right on the money nonetheless. Same process as the Xbox Series X. Same underlying AMD technology. Same CPU technology, but reduced compute unit count. 2x extra GDDR6 controllers + more GPU area = ~44mm2 extra space on Series X. Fabric + Media Bloc and Tempest engine for 3D audio are unknown quantity. Richard believes that the PS5 die will be about as big as the PS4 Pro die (320mm2). Similar size, but tons of extra performance (smaller 7nm process, much higher clocks, much improved architecture, etc)
  • Liquid Metal for PS5 thermal interface. thermal paste from PS4 was its weakest spot in its thermal solution. Compares the PS5's liquid metal to simply going nuclear. Most optimal thermal interface available for mass market device. Believes that Liquid Metal is a poor choice for mass market device due to all its intricacies but then notes that Sony is on their 5th console iterations with tons of experience, learned lots of lessons and thus not an issue at all.
  • In his own word, "freakishly ginormous heatsink". No vapor chamber, but same performance due to its size and shape
  • Obvious strategy: Blast SoC with tons of power, distribute that power between CPU and GPU according to load and then rely upon a bruteforce cooling solution to dissipate the heat. Liquid Metal provides perfect and optimal connection between the chip and the heatsink. Plenty of space around the keys area of heat, which helps with heat dissipation and the curvy case design makes it so that air intakes cannot be blocked by the user. Huge size of the unit also helps.
  • 2 very different solutions between Sony and Microsoft. Series X more of an achievement in term of providing more power in a smaller package, but leads to higher build cost. Sony's solutions on the other hand is believed to cost less in comparison due to its simpler design overall.
  • 350w power supply; 35w more than Series X
  • Whisper-quiet PS5 according to Japanese influencers; believes that is the right direction for consoles
  • Obvious trade-off being the sheer size of the console but doesn't want to comment further about this until he gets his hand on a unit
  • No shadow NDA; simply no PS5 on house, but "surely it's only a matter of time, right?"
  • Can't wait to see how all of this pans out

Orverall, very positive analysis from Richard.
This is such a good writeup that I feel like I don't even have to watch the video, even though it also made the video sound like it was pretty good.

Quick résumé :

• Sony's strategy to provide carefully provided bits of information is generating massive amount of hype, puts it in contract to Microsoft's tactic to have journalists get a session with Series X designers and even have them build the Series X themselves
  • The screw-able stand is fairly simple and is included with the console rather than sold separately; Series X, by design, do not have removable stand nor does it need one
  • Appreciates the dust catching outlets easily accessible; notes that cleaning the PS4 in comparison was a significantly harder job as you need to dismantle the console, which required to void the warranty; Huge improvement
  • M.2 storage bay. Different strategy than Microsoft when you have the bespoke 2TB unit from Seagate. On PS5, you have a choice of whitelisted third-party solutions. Richard seems concerned about the temperature of the m.2 SSD as m.2 units get hot rapidly and easily without any thermal solution (heatsink for example) and thus drop in performance rather linearly with temps, but he suspects that Sony thought of that and most likely have a solution for this that we have yet to see in the video, wonders if the main fan unit is helping the SSD cooling.
  • Integrated SSD on mainboard ; cannot be replaced by the user. Stipulates that the compelling leak about usable space on the SSD (664GB), which contradict the fact that development kit has 620GB of usable space, is interested to see how this will turn out on final retail unit.
  • Basic, toyota-like design. Conservative, but based on tried and tested principles. Fewer parts can be a really good thing in context of cost challenges
  • 120x45mm fan unit. Smaller in size than Series X, but much thicker. Likes the custom design and believes there is no comparison on PC space.
  • UHD blu-ray unit. First time in a Sony console. Dampeners to reduce vibrations. Similar work has been done on the One X console and believes the same will be true for Series X.
  • Wifi6. 9.5gbps theoretical bandwidth limit. Unlikely we'll get that speed in real life condition. More interested by the fact that wifi6 is designed to reduce cross-talk between devices which leads to stronger connection, but you'll need a wireless setup with wireless devices capable of wifi6 to benefit from it.
  • Really big motherboard. Puts it in contract to the 2 smaller superposed board of the Series X
  • Talks about the size of the main chip die. Agrees that their estimate to eyeball the size of the Series X were a way out. Explains that the attempts to mesure the PS5 die size by comparing it to Samsung memory package size is somewhat useful to guestimate the size, but that the minutist of error when calculating via pixel count can lead to pretty big errors. 305-320mm2 is probably right on the money nonetheless. Same process as the Xbox Series X. Same underlying AMD technology. Same CPU technology, but reduced compute unit count. 2x extra GDDR6 controllers + more GPU area = ~44mm2 extra space on Series X. Fabric + Media Bloc and Tempest engine for 3D audio are unknown quantity. Richard believes that the PS5 die will be about as big as the PS4 Pro die (320mm2). Similar size, but tons of extra performance (smaller 7nm process, much higher clocks, much improved architecture, etc)
  • Liquid Metal for PS5 thermal interface. thermal paste from PS4 was its weakest spot in its thermal solution. Compares the PS5's liquid metal to simply going nuclear. Most optimal thermal interface available for mass market device. Believes that Liquid Metal is a poor choice for mass market device due to all its intricacies but then notes that Sony is on their 5th console iterations with tons of experience, learned lots of lessons and thus not an issue at all.
  • In his own word, "freakishly ginormous heatsink". No vapor chamber, but same performance due to its size and shape
  • Obvious strategy: Blast SoC with tons of power, distribute that power between CPU and GPU according to load and then rely upon a bruteforce cooling solution to dissipate the heat. Liquid Metal provides perfect and optimal connection between the chip and the heatsink. Plenty of space around the keys area of heat, which helps with heat dissipation and the curvy case design makes it so that air intakes cannot be blocked by the user. Huge size of the unit also helps.
  • 2 very different solutions between Sony and Microsoft. Series X more of an achievement in term of providing more power in a smaller package, but leads to higher build cost. Sony's solutions on the other hand is believed to cost less in comparison due to its simpler design overall.
  • Whisper-quiet PS5 according to Japanese influencers; believes that is the right direction for consoles
  • Obvious trade-off being the sheer size of the console but doesn't want to comment further about this until he gets his hand on a unit
  • No shadow NDA; simply no PS5 on house, but "surely it's only a matter of time, right?"

Nothing against the OP but this is an excellent write up and thank you for the effort mate.

Hawk269

Well this thread didn't take long to go to shit.
No surprise is it?

I know some were bitching that DF did not make a video sooner, but honestly, they don't have a unit and they don't have much to go by other than what Sony showed in the video. But now that they did do a video people are complaining and harrasing the folks over at DF. I don't get that at all.

sublimit

Banned
Do people really think like this? I’m pretty sure they can easily afford the console and wouldn’t have a problem buying one. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. I mean they’re not hurting for money
tenor.gif

Lol his bitterness is obviously not a matter of not having the money to buy the console. :messenger_grinning_smiling:

They are bitter because:
1)Sony's video has 8,2 million views which would have been theirs if Sony gave them the unit.
2)They were probably sure they would be the first to open up the console so their huge egos have been hurt.

FrankWza

No surprise is it?

I know some were bitching that DF did not make a video sooner, but honestly, they don't have a unit and they don't have much to go by other than what Sony showed in the video. But now that they did do a video people are complaining and harrasing the folks over at DF. I don't get that at all.

They don’t? That’s a bad commentary for a site that specializes in this sort of thing. They should have been able to do the video in 20 minutes. I wonder why it took a week...

Hawk269

They don’t? That’s a bad commentary for a site that specializes in this sort of thing. They should have been able to do the video in 20 minutes. I wonder why it took a week...
Who cares why it took a week? We don't know what there workload is at the moment and perhaps they were working on other things instead. I would think if they had "hand-on" with the system that they would of prioritized something, but we all know they don't have units yet. While they specialize in this stuff, there is not much to go on other than a massive sized mother board and the worlds largest heat sink.

Redlight

Amazed in the other thread we were discussing about it with R Redlight and not even a week later yet another example of how the coverage is always more cynical on one side than the other...
1) They're not doing a video to discuss the PS5 teardown = BIAS!
2) They did a video and dared to discuss the PS5 teardown = BIAS!

Let's face it, if the video started with a choir, the PS5 bathed in a stream of golden light, along with an incantation about the genius of Cerny and the flawless vision of Sony - all in hushed, reverential tones - then it might get a pass.

Richard would have to actively take a poop on the top of the Series X to get full approval from 'totally unbiased' viewers such as yourself.

FrankWza

Who cares why it took a week? We don't know what there workload is at the moment and perhaps they were working on other things instead. I would think if they had "hand-on" with the system that they would of prioritized something, but we all know they don't have units yet. While they specialize in this stuff, there is not much to go on other than a massive sized mother board and the worlds largest heat sink.

you said there was nothing other than what was shown. Shouldn’t have taken a week. It’s a good question. Especially since what they did shoot and post ended up being less than we already know.

Going to be really interesting when people start getting actual physical units
The vid does point out a few of the questions i have about the design and also raised a pretty interesting point about the Liquid metal and being mass produced....have to wait and see

Cooling is certainly a bigger focus for this console so its a welcome change

ZehDon

Quick résumé :

Thank you taking the time for this write up.

Do people really think like this? I’m pretty sure they can easily afford the console and wouldn’t have a problem buying one. It’s ridiculous to think otherwise. I mean they’re not hurting for money
...It's not about HAVING the console, dude, it's about the metrics. The views, the algorithm boost, the subs, the head-to-head comparison videos which guarantee even more subs and views. Sony got over 7 million views in a few days for a Teardown. Views that could potentially have been theirs. THAT is why people are saying they're upset they weren't given one.

And Alex's RE post lends a lot of credence to that POV, being blunt.

I do feel for John though. Being surrounded by toxicity nonstop can wear on you.

That being said, I REALLY wish he'd take a social media break. I've done that from time to time, most recently taking a LONG break from Facebook, and while it's by no means some miracle cure for anxiety and depression, it's been a huge help. He should relax, play some games, read a book, marathon some spooky movies for Halloween, just chill and vibe out for a while, then give it a shot again when he's feeling better. He's a good dude, one of the best on that team. Hate to see him taking this all so personally and letting it hurt him like that.

No, it wont.

Not only that, if MS continue the Hardware Key Locking as they always have, then you/me will NEVER be able to replace the SSD.

I said that the SDD is removable, not that you'll be able to remove by yourself. It's the technical support that will do this and this with these locks.
If the PS5's SSD breaks you'll need a completely new board, with the SeX the technical support can just replace the SDD and restore your board. It's cheaper.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are you really claiming harassment because somebody is quoting your quote? Looks like your own words are just coming back to haunt you.
he was banned for that post almost immediately. i was in that thread when that post was made, mods caught it within minutes and he paid the price.

bringing it up over and over again is lame. imagine if someone dug through all the posts you got banned for and spammed them in every thread.

GenericUser

I don't exactly know what it it, but I just find these guys incredibly unlikeable. Just annoying, like people I'd avoid in real life. Especially that tagliatelle guy. That dude even posts on resetera - lmao. Big red flag imo.

Concerning the video: nothing we did not already know. Desperate attempt to generate some clicks. Mean sony, I know, stealing clicks from youtube celebs.

I liked the breakdown overall. I always enjoy hearing how people feel about new tech and such. I didn’t care for the constantly bringing up Xbox, that’s not why I’m watching this video. I already watched your Xbox breakdown analysis, I don’t need a rehash.

He seemed upset that he hadn’t received a PS5 yet, which came off as entitled to me and was off putting. Microsoft went above and beyond for DF, but that doesn’t mean everyone else has to. Anyways my 2 cents.

I said that the SDD is removable, not that you'll be able to remove by yourself. It's the technical support that will do this and this with these locks.
If the PS5's SSD breaks you'll need a completely new board, with the SeX the technical support can just replace the SDD and restore your board. It's cheaper.
TECHNICALLY no, a soldered-on SSD can be replaced, it's just tedious af and most companies don't bother, opting to replace the board or device instead.

Tomeru

I'm sure it has already been pointed out but the Series X SSD is NOT soldered to the mother board.

Of course this does not mean that it's meant to be user replaceable but if it ever goes bad a repair man (or even you) can just swap it out. With the PS5 you would have to replace the entire motherboard.

Itsno custom? You can buy an ssd that fits in the xsx in stores?

MrFunSocks

Banned
Concerning the video: nothing we did not already know. Desperate attempt to generate some clicks. Mean sony, I know, stealing clicks from youtube celebs.
Wait so we have people saying they're desperately trying to generate clicks, while we have others that were calling them MS shills for not having this video up within hours/days of the official teardown lol.

So which is it, were they desperate for clicks or were they just doing what people wanted? They don't have a PS5, sony hasn't given anyone a PS5, so we knew that if they did a "teardown" video it would literally just be a reaction video where they watch the same video we all saw and just talk about it. Of course there can be nothing we did not already know lol.

he was banned for that post almost immediately. i was in that thread when that post was made, mods caught it within minutes and he paid the price.

bringing it up over and over again is lame. imagine if someone dug through all the posts you got banned for and spammed them in every thread.
I'd have no problem with it since I've never been banned. Plus I wouldn't have written something like this in the first place. Personally I think it was relevant to the conversation on this thread because they were talking about why John left and it is a good example of the uncalled for vitriol these people can get exposed to on this forum at times.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
1) They're not doing a video to discuss the PS5 teardown = BIAS!
2) They did a video and dared to discuss the PS5 teardown = BIAS!

Let's face it, if the video started with a choir, the PS5 bathed in a stream of golden light, along with an incantation about the genius of Cerny and the flawless vision of Sony - all in hushed, reverential tones - then it might get a pass.

Richard would have to actively take a poop on the top of the Series X to get full approval from 'totally unbiased' viewers such as yourself.

Not that I am surprised you asked for evidence and now hastily reject it and proceed to go on the offensive. It seemed disingenuous to begin with.

You present it a binary choice and setup your own straw man about people wanting Leadbetter to praise the PS5 to high heavens, but that is a straw man because it is not the argument people are making. Between calling the teardown video uninteresting (staying silent was an option) and doing their video the way they did it, there are a lot less cynical and still impartial happy mediums than what he delivered.

Do you know that there is a third way between delivering your homework full of typos and not sending it in at all, right? Do you want a participation trophy “we are all winners because we tried” or something?

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sony fans before X1: DF is the best, look my game has 4 more pixels than Xone
Sony fans after X1: DF is OK, what matter are the games, I don’t care resolution, I want the experience
Sony fans after the SeX: DF is trash, they are on M$ pay check, what matters is the cooling and the ssd.

What an alternate reality there... nicely fit with a MS with the dollar sign and calling XSX the SeX, whoa edgy ;). Except that few were praising DF to high heavens as a whole even at the start of the generation (Xbox One vs PS4 titles “minor resolution differences, but who notices that really? To decide where to play one needs to know where your friends are and which controller you like the most really”... XOX vs PS4 Pro with the PS4 line massively overselling the Xbox One line “omg resolution, texture, etc... yep clearly the best way to play it”... suddenly the argument about where other people play and the controller do not matter anymore...).

Now, John from DF has been the best of the bunch consistently for years and before this generation too.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Wait, was he actually worried about the expansion SDD overheating?! Contrary to Microsoft's solution this compartment has its own air flow coming right from the big centrifugal fan and going out by the rear vents (upper section).

he said about it being close to the fan and if that was a possible cooling solution. I guess some people take from the video selected points but dont see other points

MaulerX

If you are up to it , you can even do it your self , I bet . But you have to dismantle the whole console . Moeders will fin a way to increase it to 2 TB.

Right exactly. It's not meant to be user Replaceable. But if you're willing to disassemble your Series X and void the warranty then you can do it. Modders will definitely do it.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Nice to see Richard concern trolling about the SSD temperatures 🤡 Just leave the metal cover off and it will be getting plenty of air over it - more than 90% of NVMes inside PC cases I'd guess - some of them have NVMe slots right underneath the graphics card. Ideally, I guess, you would want a heatsink just high enough to go above the plastic housing to protude into the incoming airflow, with the fins aligned with the direction of flow (so across the short length of the drive angled towards the fan).

One thing I just noticed with the fan is that it has an asymmetric splitter to drive more air onto the APU side, kinda cool.

SR8Amqf.png

Unless the solution is 80 proof minimum.

it isn't designed to have the metal cover off? your saying he is concern trolling and coming up for a solution for cooling the SSD? so you say he is trolling but believing him at the same time?

Top Bottom