• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF PS5 analysis (prepare to be uninterested)

EDMIX

xRfaR4l.jpg

YjrnkTp.jpg

You can use the above images to extrapolate that the drive is removeable.

The panel marked SSD in the top image is an EMI shield that snaps onto the SSD cage using small beveled points that line up with matching holes in the cage. The cage is soldered to the board, but the lid is removeable. You can pry this off with a simple part separator tool or a screwdriver if you're a savage. Lots of laptops use shields just like this to kill electrical interference from other components. Those EMI shields come apart the same way. Here you can see a similar design on the left with the same beveled tabs that line up with matching holes.

0su8fnI.jpg

Under that EMI shield is the SSD itself, mounted like a typical M.2 format drive with a single Torx screw holding the far end of the SSD down. Both the SSD and the Torx screw are visible in Microsoft's own console renders.

Thats nice.

Do you have a link to MS confirming you are allowed to remove it and where is the list of compatible SSDs?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
If their wrongdoing was so clear then this site would be swamped with irrefutable examples

I admire both how naive and disingenuous this statement looks as well as the rest of the wall of text going after me as if I pretended to be a scathing investigative journalist :LOL:.

Keep beating on that drum... and demand irrefutable evidence as if we were discussing with mass murderers found with the detonated bomb plans in their hands.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
There's no confirmation if it's removable, but just simply looking at the shot, it certainly seems like it'd be removable in a way not requiring de-soldering. I can't remember where I read it, but someone either on B3D or Era talked about the clamps at the side possibly being able to get pulled to lift the top part off, and slot in another compatible drive.

That and when you look at the board shots for Series X on MS's website, when they get to the SSD part, you can see something over the SSD keeping it slotted in place. It's not an x-clamp, but some type of clamp. And it clearly looks like the SSD is housed in that compartment bay (at least from the shot I am thinking of).

Really wish I could find the post in particular that touched on it, it's convinced me that most likely, the internal drive might be replaceable. But it'd need to be a custom replacement, not simply any old drive could slot in there much less be outright compatible. And that's tying back into some posts on how the XvA might be working WRT memory mapping a couple of posters on B3D went into (which I linked a long time ago in the Xbox Velocity Architecture thread) that could be the reason they needed to use proprietary drives in the first place.

FWIW, IIRC MS manufactures the actual drive and its internals. Companies like Seagate are building compatible enclosures to house the drive components, which are compatible with MS's spec. I think it's fair to speculate the internal drive could be replaceable, but it's prob best to treat it as speculation rather than confirmation until official word is provided (and even if so, I don't know if that'd mean "replaceable" as in the end-user could just replace it themselves).
Thanks BusierDonkey BusierDonkey thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best for the summary and reasoning. I am sold, yeah that seems replaceable. It is smart on MS part if you think about repairing consoles and selling refurbished parts and definitely a corner Sony cut or rather an optimisation they took to achieve their performance target early and contain costs.

Not sure how Sony plans to replace them, but they might have a clever way to do it in their factory. I am also not sure MS will sell compatible drives you are allowed to replace yourself (and without voiding the warranty) though.

It is also possible that the user replaceable SSD could be used to replace the internal SSD if it failed, it seems like a much better way to keep the console working albeit at a lower storage capacity.

Last edited:
If you think that is true you should go into the the politics section of GAF and try it out, lol. Yes, people can have different opinions but there is a group on here that get highly offended if you don't cup Sony's balls while being overly complimentary. People complained that DF didn't do a video. They did a video and complained that the video basically wasn't them gushing over a piece of hardware they don't have any hands on time with. And even more retarded is some claim that DF is salty that Sony didn't send them a PS5 when NOBODY in the world not tied to Sony has one. It's a stupid and counterproductive conversation full of bias and weirdly perceived persecution of a gaming console... the humanity.
I don’t think anyone is stopping anyone from having a different opinion on the politics board.
Also, I must have missed those posts where people were getting offended. As for whether DF is salty or not salty - who knows.

Thanks BusierDonkey BusierDonkey thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best for the summary and reasoning. I am sold, yeah that seems replaceable. It is smart on MS part if you think about repairing consoles and selling refurbished parts and definitely a corner Sony cut or rather an optimisation they took to achieve their performance target early and contain costs.

Not sure how Sony plans to replace them, but they might have a clever way to do it in their factory. I am also not sure MS will sell compatible drives you are allowed to replace yourself (and without voiding the warranty) though.

It is also possible that the user replaceable SSD could be used to replace the internal SSD if it failed, it seems like a much better way to keep the console working albeit at a lower storage capacity.

For a company like Sony, it wouldn't be difficult at all to replace a bad NAND chip soldered on the board. Compared to engineering and assembling a console, that stuff is trivial. Now, if you knew certain skilled repair people around your area that could do it for you (and for cheaper), theoretically they could do it, but that would void the warranty (if they screw it up), and (I can't recall who brought this up. Maybe it was here, or B3D, or Era) the system might be expecting a specific brand, or NAND module class, or even specific NAND module.

...I don't know how likely the last of those cases would be, and I don't see a point for it other than being extremely uptight about security, but there would be better ways to do that without such a stringent requirement. I agree that even tho the internal SSD in Series systems might be replaceable, there's still a strong likelihood users would have to ship the system back (or at the very least, apply for a replacement to be mailed in to them) to have a new one slotted in.

I guess for both PS5 and Series systems, if the internal drive by some freak chance failed (that really shouldn't happen but there's always that very fringe possibility a handful of bad units gets out there), the user-supplied optional expansion storage could be used. But the OS in both cases would need to format that drive the same way the internal ones were formatted. That could prove to be tricky, so I'm wondering if the systems have some private block of NAND on the board that holds the base OS files that can be reinstalled on the internal drive anytime.

If not that would make it very tricky a thing to do indeed, and in PS5's case perhaps a bit more because at that point you're talking about 3P NVMe drives that could have some different formatting and just ways they are structured with their own onboard NAND (capacity per module, channels per module, the onboard memory controller, latency levels, page and block sizes, etc.) that could be things the OS isn't designed with in mind to run off of. But again, I don't see it being a big possibility because there's prob some private block of NAND onboard housing compressed OS files.

Redlight

I admire both how naive and disingenuous this statement looks as well as the rest of the wall of text going after me as if I pretended to be a scathing investigative journalist :LOL:.

Keep beating on that drum... and demand irrefutable evidence as if we were discussing with mass murderers found with the detonated bomb plans in their hands.
In my books, if you have no proof you shouldn't make accusations.

'Put up or shut up' is not a phrase I invented. It's a very solid principle. You should consider adopting it.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
In my books, if you have no proof you shouldn't make accusations.

'Put up or shut up' is not a phrase I invented. It's a very solid principle. You should consider adopting it.

Ditto... still waiting on you putting up / offering irrefutable evidence of my supposed claims such as DF has to sing PS5 praises by the way ;).

Last edited:

MaulerX

That's the surface. Not the Xbox.

So yeah no proof - just his thoughts based on looking at some pictures.
From me looking at it - it looks to me like the box that contains the SSD is possibly soldered to the board with no way to get into it.
Until MS or people with the console in their possession confirm it is replaceable - you should assume it isn't.

Just to point out that I am a fan of his videos and am sub'd to both his channels. But until you see it with your own eyes you shouldn't assume everything he says about an unreleased product is true - he has been wrong about other things with the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X before.
He even says "we still have to see".

Well it turned out to be true. The Xbox Series X internal SSD is in fact removable.

So Xbots complained about the screw in the base stand of the PS5, but now dissembling the entire Xbox Series X to change an SSD is ok?
The drive is not intended to be replaced, just like every internal Xbox drive ever. It's merely removable in the event of failure.

MaulerX

Exactly what I was saying though - wait until people have the thing before you make assumptions. The console is in people's hands now so we can see what the situation is.

It wasn't an assumption. The evidence was there. Clear as day.

why wouldn’t it be? It’s off the shelf.

Ask those who didn't want to believe it even though the evidence was there.

Last edited:
Top Bottom