• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] PS5 Firmware 2.0 Tested

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
For ppl confused as to why the M.2 is performing faster...

Internal is 5.5GB/s....M.2 is 7GB/s.

If the M.2 was worse...that would be bad.

Thats like a PS5 revision with a 7GB/s drive being slower than the og model.

.....that would be bad....

While I appreciate what DF did here, slower drives are what I'm more interested in.

Last edited:

YCoCg

Instead of testing the likes of RE8 and other proper PS5 releases, they decided to test unoptimized, low effort ports and PS4 games. DF stays sucking.
They stated why in the video, they said if a game is optimized for the PS5, you're already getting close to the best and the difference in just ms's by that point. The reason why unoptimized PS4 games are tested is to see how much brute forcing makes a difference here. Keep in mind those optimized games are going to be set at 5.5Gb/s as their target.

Did any of you complaining PAY ATTENTION?

ethomaz

Banned
For ppl confused as to why the M.2 is performing faster...

Internal is 5.5GB/s....M.2 is 7GB/s.

If the M.2 was worse...that would be bad.

Thats like a PS5 revision with a 7GB/s drive being slower than the og model.

.....that would be bad....

While I appreciate what DF did here, slower drives are what I'm more interested in.
It is a 6.5GB/s SSD.
The different was very little… basically a tie.

18% more speeds for less than 5% faster.
That just shows faster SSD won’t have advantage maybe because the I/O Complex is matched to 5.5GB/s.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Christian Bale GIF by PeacockTV

ethomaz

Banned
They stated why in the video, they said if a game is optimized for the PS5, you're already getting close to the best and the difference in just ms's by that point. The reason why unoptimized PS4 games are tested is to see how much brute forcing makes a difference here. Keep in mind those optimized games are going to be set at 5.5Gb/s as their target.

But PS4 game don’t even use the full speeds of the internal SSD, they are limited to PS4 I/O speeds 🤔

Last edited:

jroc74

It is a 6.5GB/s SSD.
The different was very little… basically a tie.

18% more speeds for less than 5% faster.
That just shows faster SSD won’t have advantage maybe because the I/O Complex is matched to 5.5GB/s.
Agree.

My post was more for the uninformed hot takes starting to pop up.

This is why slower drives are what I'm more interested in.

Also....this leans alot into why Sony should be given credit for the I/O, SSD tech thats in the PS5.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member

And those games that really stress the storage speed are exactly what would have been interesting to see, especially with drives rated below or exactly at the recommended 5.5GB/s.

What this video shows is neither interesting nor surprising, but completely expected.

YCoCg

But PS4 game don’t even use the full speeds of the internal SSD, they are limited to PS4 I/O speeds 🤔
PS4 games also fluctuate the most depending on what hardware they're running from, that's why it falls down to brute force testing. You're going to get more clear results with them when the gap on PS5 load times is hardly noticeable.

ethomaz

Banned
PS4 games also fluctuate the most depending on what hardware they're running from, that's why it falls down to brute force testing. You're going to get more clear results with them when the gap on PS5 load times is hardly noticeable.
Nope.

PS4 games doesn’t take advantage of PS5 SSD speeds… so what the point?

If a PS4 games can’t use 5.5GB/s it won’t be different with 6GB/s or 7GB/s.

Maybe that is the reason the results where similar instead of 18% difference… they are limited… I thought it was due the I/O Complex but now being a PS4 game can be another limitation.

In fact I hope it is not a I/O complex limitation because if it is faster SSDs won’t make any difference for PS5.

Last edited:

Kilau

Gold Member
So PS4 games still load faster from an external usb SSD, no reason to buy a drive just yet for me.

Vognerful

Do people forgot they tested the most io stressful game?

If you care about other games, it was already tested. These SSD still outperform ps5 SSD in spiderman

YCoCg

Nope.

PS4 games doesn’t take advantage of PS5 SSD speeds… so what the point?

If a PS4 games can’t use 5.5GB/s it won’t be different with 6GB/s or 7GB/s.
The point is showing how each different method reacts to loading said content, with most of the time the M2 drive coming out on top compared to the internal.

ethomaz

Banned
The point is showing how each different method reacts to loading said content, with most of the time the M2 drive coming out on top compared to the internal.
All tests results showed a limitation in use of added speed.

It was very similar.

Last edited:

YCoCg

All tests results showed a limitation in use of addiction speed.

It was very similar.
But was there a difference? Yes. Was that difference more noticeable than already PS5 optimized titles? Yes. And that's how it made it into the video.

Thirty7ven

Banned

That’s why they should’ve tested lower speed SSDs, since that’s what people actually want to know about most. But this why they get to stretch the coverage I guess…

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
But was there a difference? Yes. Was that difference more noticeable than already PS5 optimized titles? Yes. And that's how it made it into the video.
No result even crossed the margin of error.
C’mon.

It showed nothing of what you say except there is some type of limitation in use over 5.5GB/s.

Why a 6.5GB/s SSD delivery similar results to a 5.5GB/s SSD? That is what this test shows.

PS4 BC games being used is a limitation that games before the SSD speeds limitation.

That’s why they should’ve tested lower speed SSDs, since that’s what people actually want to know about most. But this why they get to stretch the coverage I guess…
Exactly.

It is a more interesting test because it won’t be limited by the system I/O capabilities.

But you need games that stress the PS5 I/O and PS4 games are not even close to do that.

Last edited:
Nice! That means I can get 4TB drive for like $395 right now on Amazon. I love it!

Some people seem to be confused, the drive in the PS5 excels at two things, being FAST AF, and being CHEAP AF to manufacturer. Sony's storage API is on some next level stuff for native and optimized PS5 titles. Rejoice brethren!

Don't know why they wasted 1/3 of the video time for showing ps4 titles loading times.

Everybody knows they don't utilize the I/0.
Stop wasting time and show only PS5 games.

Also would be interesing to show thermals and noise levels(maybe throtteling/
heatsink recommendations)
NXGamer/Gamers Nexus to the rescue.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
In all fair.

I criticized Verge Warrior few days ago from the lack of useful metrics that made their tests all over the place insignificant.

The same issues are going on DF tests… so they are similar insignificant and deserves the same critics.

Ulysses 31

Not that strange when you think about it, the internal storage is also running the OS which does a lot of reads( and writes?) in the background on the same drive which is something the external drive doesn't have to deal with.

Last edited:

jroc74

What I also found interesting is them also testing it with no heat sink.....

It did turn out slower at times. Now I'm curious what it would be like with no heat sink for extended periods of time.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Great video, DF delivers! I still want to see how slower drives fares but a 980Pro seems solid as a main drive going forward.

omegasc

I guess the general message is you just stick to the specs and there's nothing to worry. Excellent!
I don't need one right now, so I will wait for those sweet black friday deals ;)
On PS4 Pro we already saw some speed benefits of using external drive in some games, probably due to OS work being done. Seems that it also happens on PS5.

Ultrawide or superultrawide is the only way to go. Movies and games look so much better in every aspect. This would have been the move, over targeting 4k, which is unobtainable on consoles 99% of the time.
seeing that new tvs are adding it as a viewing option is awesome , i have a ultrawide , but will be looking at 8k next , i know qled and such is the new oled rival , but i think sony are bringing eled soon... like oled but bright as the sun.

eled is from what i can remember , electric something. Correct??

the futures bright.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looking good. There will be lots of good options for those after extra storage. I'm going to hold out for black Friday, maybe even next year to see what I can get.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
It better load faster at that price, in fact I'd say it's not good enough for that price

reinking

Gold Member
- but in the here and now, the news is good: PS5 may well be built around a custom solid-state storage solution, but a good PCIe Gen 4 SSD can match and in some scenarios actually exceed the performance of the internal solution, and works just as well on the most demanding storage-heavy game we've currently got to test.
Right On Nbc GIF by Superstore

Are people forgetting that even when using an external drive the system still uses it's custom data channels and co-processors to get that data from the external drive?

Isn't this good? With time the PS5 can get as fast was the system can theoretically go.
Now try to put a faster "memory car" in the SeX to see if the same will happen.

Are people forgetting that even when using an external drive the system still uses it's custom data channels and co-processors to get that data from the external drive?

Isn't this good? With time the PS5 can get as fast was the system can theoretically go.

That depends on the propietary drive. With the PS5 you have access to faster drives on the market.

FranXico

Yes, the PS5 IO complex is more than just the SSD.

Top Bottom