• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart PS5 - Performance + Graphics - All Modes Tested!

At 16:10
Looking at these 3 modes, i think the conclusion for me is pretty simple: the Ray tracing performance mode is the way to play it. It's absolutely worth giving up the difference in image clarity which that is not significant, and the trade-off Ray tracing reflections and 60fps. It's really smooth

Kholinar

Banned
1260p reflections? Weren't they 720p in Spider-Man?
Nah, they were 1080p. The artstyle that Ratchet goes for doesn't really beg for super-detailed assets and whatnot like a more photorealistic game like Spider-Man, so it makes a little bit of sense as to why they were able to up the RT resolution.

retsof624

Just awesome. So excited to play it. Was hoping to play tonight but we're going camping for the weekend so it will need to wait a few days
You know what to do…
Camping Parks And Recreation GIF by Mashable

Toggling between quality and performance RT on a LG CX I can definitely see the resolution difference and it looks noticeably cleaner on quality mode. I think compressed videos and images hide how big the difference actually is. The trade off is still 100% worth it for me though and 60fps feels so much nicer.

The RT reflections are so much higher quality than in Spider-Man. There is definitely some noise in the RT but nothing you would notice when actually playing.

Evilms

Banned
Fidelity Mode > min 1800p - max 2160p Temporal Injection @ 30fps
Performance Mode > min 1620p - max 1800p Temporal Injection @ 60fps
Performance RT Mode > min 1080p - max 1440p Temporal Injection (NPC reduction...) @ 60fps

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I started playing on Quality mode, because I just wanted those maxed out visuals and was a little worried that there would be more compromises than just resolution in the RT Performance mode, but with the differences being this miniscule I'm definitely switching over for that smooth 60fps. I don't really MIND 30, but given the option 60 just feels so much smoother. The dip in resolution doesn't really matter that much to me, I have to sit pretty damn close to my 55" TV to fully take advantage of 4K. 1440p is sharp enough, especially with Insomniac's great temporal upscaling.

Also, why does the regular Performance mode even exist? Seems pointless when all you get is a few extra pixels, but you lose all those very pretty reflections.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
As expected performance-RT is the way to go.

This is easily the best looking game of the generation so far.

I went into this planning on starting with the 30fps modem rimarily to see how good it looked before switching to one of the 60fps modes which I usually do.
I've spent what must be about 5 or 6 hours now (Does it say somewhere?) then after watching this video though I'd go and mess around with the three modes to see how I felt again and was surprised to see that I was still in the 30fps mode and I had completely forgotten.
Clearly I would notice if I tried 60fps now but I've honestly had no issues at all playing it at 30fps which surprises the hell out of me because I usuaully have a quick test then switch to the higher frame rate modes in games.
Having watched the video, there doesn't really seem to be a bad mode, just three positive ones with different priorities. I'm sure it's not a simple achievement but other companies could learn from Insomniac's options here as most people are going to get what they want. Well, I know that everybody really wants everything all the time but obviously if you add something somewhere then you have to take it from somewhere else.

I started playing on Quality mode, because I just wanted those maxed out visuals and was a little worried that there would be more compromises than just resolution in the RT Performance mode, but with the differences being this miniscule I'm definitely switching over for that smooth 60fps. I don't really MIND 30, but given the option 60 just feels so much smoother. The dip in resolution doesn't really matter that much to me, I have to sit pretty damn close to my 55" TV to fully take advantage of 4K. 1440p is sharp enough, especially with Insomniac's great temporal upscaling.

Also, why does the regular Performance mode even exist? Seems pointless when all you get is a few extra pixels, but you lose all those very pretty reflections.
I tried fidelity mode yesterday and it took me all of 5 seconds to switch back to performance mode. I've gotten so used to the smoothness of playing at 60 FPS.

Top Bottom