• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Resident Evil Village PS5 'Maiden' Demo Breakdown - First Look At Resident Evil 8!

HAL-01

So much concern by the analysts over a few drops in a raytraced game, whilst a non raytraced game gets a pass falling to the low 40's. Village is a gorgeous game with style. Hitman has awful looking characters and animations. I'd say this is quite impressive and I expect improved visuals and framerate on the next gen consoles on release.
Wow is this the reason people are getting defensive about criticism of the village demo? They got their feelings hurt by the hitman comparison? Jesus Christ

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Okay.

way3ef8.png
lol how did i miss this the first time. well done.

• Strength
Reactions: TGO

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I trust the visual demo as much as I do trailers on the PSN store. It’s like there aren’t enough games to criticize before the final game gets released. I completed it, uninstalled, and I’ll get it digitally next month. 👏🙌👏

HAL-01

I agree with this, for the most part. It makes me wish these consoles had DLSS (or an equivilant). When the next round launch with DLSS 3.0/4.0 (or whatever equivilant we reach in 7 years) native resolution won't be a concern anymore. Those consoles will probably be able to take a 6K image, DLSS it up to 8k and use that extra headroom for a bunch of other things that make the games truly shine.

Wonder if this is something a mid-gen refresh could introduce? Probably not?
Sony built an AI team thats been working on upscaling techniques for a while now, and it’ll likely use hardware that’s already in the PS5. I would say we’ll see an early dlss equivalent starting with the second round of PS exclusives.
I don’t know about ms, but I’m sure both companies have been well aware of the need for 4K upscaling

ahmyleg

Banned
Really underwhelmed from all this after the hype from that first trailer months back. Graphics look barely better than RE7 from what I can see, terrible voice acting and dialogue (RE7 wasn't fantastic in this regard but it was way better than this), and what's with all this goofy supernatural-looking shit? Those hooded zombie things too...really goofy...

Bo_Hazem

Banned
So much concern by the analysts over a few drops in a raytraced game, whilst a non raytraced game gets a pass falling to the low 40's. Village is a gorgeous game with style. Hitman has awful looking characters and animations. I'd say this is quite impressive and I expect improved visuals and framerate on the next gen consoles on release.

Yup, if it was the other way around they would say "PS5 4K advantage, with a caveat".

sinnergy

Probably more than a year old demo , to showcase visuals internally to get a go ahead .. much will be improved is my guess. And now a release to fans, so it won’t take dev time in the Covid times. Looks good to me btw

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Im still looking which part of the game that shows the ray tracing cos im not seeing it

And i wonder if this demo part will be available in the main game

Last edited:

TheGejsza

DLSS equivalent form consoles would be like PRO/ONE X versions of consoles. I think both Sony and MS are working hard on AI upscailing. Don't know who will be first/better - Sony had better engineers and they often come with great custom solutions but MS has shittons of money and many other divisions which can help XBOX team with AI-based algorithms.

Airbus Jr

Banned
DLSS equivalent form consoles would be like PRO/ONE X versions of consoles. I think both Sony and MS are working hard on AI upscailing. Don't know who will be first/better - Sony had better engineers and they often come with great custom solutions but MS has shittons of money and many other divisions which can help XBOX team with AI-based algorithms.
Fbq8gLd.jpg

Last edited:

Matt_Fox

I like the demo's graphics (those mahogany bannisters in the main hall are beautiful!) but I do think they need to widen the FOV. It feels a bit off.

It feels a bit tunnel vision, like walking around the house with one eye closed. I hope they tweak it for the main release.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Really underwhelmed from all this after the hype from that first trailer months back. Graphics look barely better than RE7 from what I can see, terrible voice acting and dialogue (RE7 wasn't fantastic in this regard but it was way better than this), and what's with all this goofy supernatural-looking shit? Those hooded zombie things too...really goofy...
I’m sorry but it sounds like you haven’t played the demo. Villiage is a marked improvement on visual fidelity. The image is crisp, much better lighting and contains RT.
Is there room for improvement? Sure! But to say “barely better” is wildly wrong.

Fake

I’m sorry but it sounds like you haven’t played the demo. Villiage is a marked improvement on visual fidelity. The image is crisp, much better lighting and contains RT.
Is there room for improvement? Sure! But to say “barely better” is wildly wrong.

There is nothing wrong. He is giving his opinion.

Some folks say is better, others don't. For me only the main hall is great, besides the low resolution textures.

Salz01

It’s actually a solid demo. It’s great they released it. Sure the dungeon area is a bit disappointing, it looks boring. But the rest, inside the castle area is awesome. I hope there is more to explore in the final game. The atmosphere and characters seem great. It all has me super hyped now. RE7 was great up until the ship area. I hope this game doesn’t have anything like that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Finally got around to playing it. Felt like a complete waste of time. Should I have explored more? I just spent a few minutes roaming around a bit and found a key, then exited the building and got killed. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:

Heylon

Finally got around to playing it. Felt like a complete waste of time. Should I have explored more? I just spent a few minutes roaming around a bit and found a key, then exited the building and got killed. Am I missing something?
Nope, that’s pretty much it.

The Shepard

Really underwhelmed from all this after the hype from that first trailer months back. Graphics look barely better than RE7 from what I can see.

I thought this also at first to until I replayed 7 the weekend on the xbox sx, completed it, then replayed the demo. The difference is far more noticeable. Much sharper/ cleaner picture, hdr much better and the demo looks excellent. I imagine the full release will look even better.

Top Bottom