• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro EX: Nintendo's Last E3 Press Conference - Wii U at E3 2012

Fake

We're revisiting old E3 press conferences again - and this one is of particular historical significance. It's Nintendo's final media briefing at E3 and it's showcasing the Wii U with all of its strengths and weaknesses. John Linneman, Audi Sorlie and Rich Leadbetter dissect this one.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Ever since they switched to the Direct format they became much more successful.
It's easier to control and it's a lot cheaper to make, compared to a live show.

It was Iwata's brain child, so he could talk directly to us, without having to rely on any other agency. Hence the name "Direct".

nush

Filling up a theater with press and fans might look impressive but most people are watching online anyway. The Directs are a much better way of presenting product in a more controlled environment.

Saber

Gold Member
Had to admit that I liked the presentation about Pikmin at time, as I'm really like the franchise.

It's a funny video allround. The best part was about Batman "armored" edition haha

Marty-McFly

Banned
It's easier to control and it's a lot cheaper to make, compared to a live show.

It was Iwata's brain child, so he could talk directly to us, without having to rely on any other agency. Hence the name "Direct".
E3 shows always came across as pretty cheesy to me with the neckbeard enthusiast's and bad stage promoters who seemed like used car salesmen.

It's always better to preshoot these things in advance.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

was a fun console. liked a lot of games. always feels like Nintendo tries more than their consoles aren't doing well. See the Gamecube too.

And while the Switch is slick hardware...it hasn't been the as fun I don't think as the Wii U was for me. IT's a redo for me. A lot of the same games or games that coulda been done virtually the same on the Wii U. I don't really play portable much. Wii U was interesting and quirky even though it was also clunky at times and the 2nd screen didn't break through in most games.

Granted my kids were younger in the Wii U days. Now they old so we don't do game together too much any more. :( :) Nintendoland played a lot of that. perfect 3 player game.

Still got the Wii U. I usually trade in consoles, but ...I guess because Nintendo gave away lots of free digital and I bought a handful as well, I kept it. And I"ve played it like zero times since lol. /tangent.

Last edited:

Astral Dog

I remember when gamers started calling out Nintendo as losers/cowards when they started avoiding E3 conferences for Direct videos, now everyone is doing it and Nintendo saves those for the big hardware reveal, no goofy/embarrssing show.

Top Bottom