• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro: Killzone 2 Ten Years On - An Iconic PS3 Tech Showcase

trikster40

It was a very informative and interesting to watch, thanks.

Just a question. Does this imput delay really make the game like, playable at all(like, resulting in a very amounts of deaths)? From what you said, it feel like a chore to play.

No, once you’re playing it, you won’t even notice. KZ2 is still a great game, highly recommend. My favorite MP aspect of last gen as well. I loved how it changed objectives during the game.

Stuart360

What a stunning game. Apart from the textures, it would probably look as good as a lot of current gen games if we got a PS4 1080p/60 remaster of it.
People always say about the infamous cgi demo hurting the game, but without that demo, maybe the finished game wouldnt of looked as good as it did as you can tell the devs really had pressure on them to produce.

chinoXL

good post, i just watched this the other day..this was one of my most played MP games when it dropped. GG killed it with this game and ignore the input lag talk, like others said its not a big deal as you're playing it. still crazy how much Sony's 1st party teams were able to pull off with the SPU's in the cell, game still looks great to me re-watching the videos

manfestival

I love this video. Bring us the Killzone HD edition for next gen console if anything. I would buy it if it was a launch title. Killzone 2 holds up remarkably well. So many fond memories of that game. Just remembering my amazement of the multiplayer bridge(never remembered the names of any of the maps) that is out in the dusty area and only seeing red eyes approach me like... OH SNAP

Ozrimandias

Agree, Killzone 2 was mostly underated. Was compared at that time with Crysis 2.
Loved that game, in fact: KZ2 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ShadowFall

The game is an absolute masterpiece, never understand why it did not get the love that all the other Sony exclusives got.

Because Sony's other masterpieces were playable?

Look--I slogged through that game, and damn if it wasn't pretty as hell. But the controls were beyond horrible for a FPS title, and there was no excuse for it. I only went back and completed after there was an update to fix some of the sluggishness...and even then, it didn't help that much. Hell, Killzone as a franchise could have been something great, had Sony put some effort behind marketing and told the devs to punch up the story more.

Having said that, I lament that Sony buried the Resistance franchise more than Killzone--IMO, the former had a better story and significantly better gameplay, but it didn't look near as good as KZ2 did.

Grinchy

Banned
I really liked Killzone 2 a lot. I even pulled the necessary 35+ hour multiplayer week to get the 1% trophy. But, even I can admit that the input lag was a huge issue. They even had to address it to a slight degree with a patch. It was a problem. It wasn't just an intended "heaviness." It was a result of the amazing tricks they used to get it to look so incredible.

I wish I still had my PS3 so I could boot it up today and see how it feels. I remember doing a run on the hardest difficulty to clean up some last trophies. My file is probably toward the end of the campaign.

Mochilador

That game is amazing, shooting feels really nice and the animations are awesome.
I hope they go back to this shootbang style. Shadow Fall took the cinematic story approach and it was boring as hell.

0neAnd0nly

Still my all time favorite FPS, and GOAT online experience for me as well.

I preferred the game before people made them adjust the controls to be more like CoD too. I was also in the top 1%, so good times!

Gamernyc78

Banned
Still my all time favorite FPS, and GOAT online experience for me as well.

I preferred the game before people made them adjust the controls to be more like CoD too. I was also in the top 1%, so good times!

Yeah I miss the weight and feel of those controls. You want arcadey, fast feel? there is another game for that. I'm in the camp that loved that feel.

Shakka43

Fantastic game and until this day is the only online competitive shooter I've spent more than a few hours into. KZ3 was pretty good too but Shadow Fall was a real let down, going so far into the future as a mistake imo.

Oemenia

Banned
Because Sony's other masterpieces were playable?

Look--I slogged through that game, and damn if it wasn't pretty as hell. But the controls were beyond horrible for a FPS title, and there was no excuse for it. I only went back and completed after there was an update to fix some of the sluggishness...and even then, it didn't help that much. Hell, Killzone as a franchise could have been something great, had Sony put some effort behind marketing and told the devs to punch up the story more.

Having said that, I lament that Sony buried the Resistance franchise more than Killzone--IMO, the former had a better story and significantly better gameplay, but it didn't look near as good as KZ2 did.
Uncharted games play like crap and their stories are just as poor yet they get a free pass.

Honestly, the controls are the reason why the game was such a breath of fresh air. As the DF video says, it has relatively large environments where you will have to push forward to progress rather than having to pick-off your enemies from far. As a result the gunplay had a really impactful feel to it. I felt that Killzone 3 was a big downgrade because it was a lot more linear and relied more on precision aiming.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Uncharted games play like crap and their stories are just as poor yet they get a free pass.

Honestly, the controls are the reason why the game was such a breath of fresh air. As the DF video says, it has relatively large environments where you will have to push forward to progress rather than having to pick-off your enemies from far. As a result the gunplay had a really impactful feel to it. I felt that Killzone 3 was a big downgrade because it was a lot more linear and relied more on precision aiming.

Also keep in mind the tv's we were using back then have much worse input lag than today's sets, on top of kz2's own lag. An lg oled or high end Samsung would be much more responsive[/QUOTE]

LOL thts bs tht lag tht was shown in tht video was crazy and I never experienced that type of lag while playing hahaha I'm dead.

I don't disagree...but we can't have a legitimate discussion about that without Sony fanboys getting mad and threatening to make us play Knack and enjoy it as some sort of aesthetic experience, so it's not a hill I want to die on.

Oemenia

Banned
I don't disagree...but we can't have a legitimate discussion about that without Sony fanboys getting mad and threatening to make us play Knack and enjoy it as some sort of aesthetic experience, so it's not a hill I want to die on.
Also, I just realised that I came across as maybe a little confrontational with my original statement about Uncharted.

And lets not forget, to really make sure that therapy has worked, you will have to play Driveclub.

Uncharted 2 is legitimately good.

Gamernyc78 Gamernyc78 oh yes the video is clearly meant to amplify the issue. Honestly I think peeps saying the controls were unplayable for them must've sucked at the game. Again lag was a real issue but come on. It took real skill to hipfire well in the game.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I’d rather play a Killzone 4 than a remaster. Someone is going to try their hand at Killzone and will struggle because no one can do it like GG.

LordOfChaos

Ten? That can't...
mathmathmath
Holy crap

But yeah this thing is ripe for the remaster treatment. Native 4K on PS5 would be a good easy win. It was particularly interesting how Cell was leveraged to get its unique look when stuck with the ho hum RSX.

makaveli60

I daresay this game is among the top 10 FPS ever. I also liked its heavy feel and didn't care about any input lag. Unfortunately it seems it was just an accident because they could never surpass this instalment (or even achieve the same level). One day hopefully.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
I'm just waiting for RPCS3 to have this game playable and then play it again running 60fps and other enhancements.

stranno

Talking about latency. Try to beat Odyssey at Stadia's conference :messenger_sunglasses:

DOUxOQY.gif

Also, I just realised that I came across as maybe a little confrontational with my original statement about Uncharted.

And lets not forget, to really make sure that therapy has worked, you will have to play Driveclub.

I don't think you were.

And DriveClub? At least it was better than Gran Turismo at the end...and that's about all the praise I can give it.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I’m with everyone that says the heavy feel sets the game apart. I’m a fan of COD and buy each year, but not everything needs to be COD. I mentioned it previously, KZ2 felt more like a cover based shooter ala Gears Of War but in first person. Slow, methodical, stop and pop.

Once that pillar of gameplay was diluted to be faster, more twitchy, the franchise lost its identity.

anthraticus

Banned
I hated these Killzone, Resistance, ect.. FPS on the PS3.

Such boring and uninspired shit. Terrible gameplay, asthetics, level design... Literally made me go "wtf is going on with gaming ??" I need to play some old school Doom or Duke 3D right away to cleanse my pallet from this bilge.

Kind of a microcosm of modern day AAA style over substance gaming. Without any good style.

Last edited:
I hated these Killzone, Resistance, ect.. FPS on the PS3.

Such boring and uninspired shit. Terrible gameplay, asthetics, level design... Literally made me go "wtf is going on with gaming ??" I need to play some old school Doom or Duke 3D right away to cleanse my pallet from this bilge.

Kind of a microcosm of modern day AAA style over substance gaming. Without any good style.

Careful with that edge...

Atrus

Gold Member
Killzone 2 was one of those games that really delivered on the idea of war as a quagmire. Things go wrong repeatedly and your side keeps losing to an enemy that has you wondering if you're really the heroes.

So much great detail too from the burning cloth and flags, the insects that eat the dead, and the meaty weight of the physics.

EDMIX

I'm still bummed they haven't remastered KZ2 MP as a standalone game and released on PS4. Loved playing Mp on PS3, and I'm still using "chirp" sound as message notification on phone :)

lol good times. I loved hearing that when you throw a grenade and you not sure how many you can kill and you hear all the chirps lol

I'd love for Bluepoint games to remaster Killzone 2.

Top Bottom