• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro The Nintendo Launch Spectacular

Caayn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuXEnukk--k

darkjru8p.png

As a new Nintendo system draws closer to launch, John takes a moment to look back at some of the most impressive launch titles to grace each of Nintendo's consoles. From the original NES to the Nintendo 64 all the way up to the Wii, it's all here and captured on original hardware. All this and a teaser for the next episode are yours in this latest edition of DF Retro

Team #PurpleGCN

In the middle of watching this now - the NX hype is too high. Give me Gamecube 2, Nintendo, in both technical mastery and experimental games.

Jazzem

Great atuff! DF Retro continues to be one of my favourite youtube series :) I'd love to see a look at launch games for other console manufacturers.

I would actually say Nintendoland is a visually interesting game on Wii U, some terrific lighting and texture work there. I understand not wanting to go thag recent with a series focused on retro games though.

Rodin

Sweet, will watch as soon as i can.

Ha they had to include Wave Race for N64 since it only had TWO launch games, damn.
Wave Race has still possibly the best wave physics in any game, he was right to put it in the video.

Man, I could watch these forever.
I will never forget the first time I saw a demo of Rogue Leader running on a kiosk at EB before launch. Apart from maybe F-Zero, it's the most immediately impressed I've ever been with a game. RIP Factor 5.

When you get around to the Wii U one day I'd love to see an analysis on the streaming tech used for the Gamepad.

-shadow-

Shame you didn't include Melee in the GameCube section. It's still an amazing and impressive game that was launched just weeks after the system launch (in the US anyway). But great video regardless. Level 5 still stings so badly :(

Renekton

SMB3 was probably the most impressive game I've seen for the NES console. This (with Sonic 1) was why I thought SMW looked unimpressive at the time.

Luigiv

Thematically appropriate DF Retro. Nice.

Does this mean we're getting an RE4 GCN vs PS2 Face-off as a companion piece to go along with the coverage of the upcoming HD re-release?
Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Regarding Luigi's Mansion, isn't there like a single room that runs at 60 FPS? I'm fairly certain there is. Unless I'm confusing it with its sequel, which had an unlocked framerate

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Regarding Luigi's Mansion, isn't there like a single room that runs at 60 FPS? I'm fairly certain there is. Unless I'm confusing it with its sequel, which had an unlocked framerate
Just transition cutscenes. Should have included that, I suppose.

dark10x

Thematically appropriate DF Retro. Nice.

Does this mean we're getting an RE4 GCN vs PS2 Face-off as a companion piece to go along with the coverage of the upcoming HD re-release?
Hint, hint. Nudge, nudge.
Hmm, not a bad idea. I do have both versions...

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Oh, you have one of those hugely-overpriced NES replicas. Will you do a comparison to classicNES when time comes?

Apenheul

Great video again dark10x, I just love Digital Foundry Retro and this episode might be my favorite so far because it manages to make me relive some of that launch-hype while at the same time highlighting some of the impressive technical features of the games.

Ha they had to include Wave Race for N64 since it only had TWO launch games, damn.

I remember walking into a Blockbuster not long after the N64 launch and their N64 section just beings rows and rows of Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings 64. Eventually Wave Race broke up that monotony.

Danji

The DF Retro series is one of the best new series on YT for gaming. I'm really looking forward to watching this later tonight. Keep up the good work, sir.

Paz

I actually subscribed to this series, no idea what that does because I don't subscribe to anything on any of these kinds of services but it's so damn good and you ask so nicely at the end of each episode.

Keep em coming :)

Rich!

Oh, you have one of those hugely-overpriced NES replicas. Will you do a comparison to classicNES when time comes?

...replica?

The analogue NT isn't a replica. It uses real NES hardware taken from real NES consoles.

dark10x

I actually subscribed to this series, now idea what that does because I don't subscribe to anything on any of these kinds of services but it's so damn good and you ask so nicely at the end of each episode.

Keep em coming :)
Ha ha, THAT is awesome. Hugely appreciated!

Team #PurpleGCN
I actually have four GameCubes

2x Black
1x Purple
1x Silver

Thought about using the purple one but it has a black GB Player attached and I didn't feel like taking it off (and it looks awkward with the two colors).

LOVE that system. I still kinda want a spice orange Cube.

onken

Wave Race has still possibly the best wave physics in any game, he was right to put it in the video.

Not a launch title though (which he acknowledges). It's more amusing to me that he had no choice because yeah... 2 freaking launch games.

Luigis Mansion was one of those games I would see running on a tv in a hardware store and watch for a while, it was a huge jump in tech and quality over the previous gen, I still love real time shadows on everything and anything no matter how basic it looks.

Wave Race is a godlike n64 game, i'll accept it as a launch game since it was around the english release for us.

I was surprised that the direct feed NES footage was so clean and sharp. Was the image quality really that good back in 1985?

Not with default connectors no, that must be from an RGB modded NES of some kind.

dark10x

Not a launch title though (which he acknowledges). It's more amusing to me that he had no choice because yeah... 2 freaking launch games.
Ha ha, yeah, Pilotwings...doesn't hold up. Frame-rate is stupidly low too. :D

How could I not?

Luigis mansion was one of those games I would see running on a tv in a hardware store and watch for a while, it was a huge jump in tech and quality over the previous gen, I still love real time shadows on everything and anything no matter how basic it looks.
It's really quite a charming game too. Quite fun to play!

Justinh

Dude...

I started paying money to IGN so I could watch the 640x480 videos of Rogue Leader. I don't think I've ever been as hyped for a game as I was for that.

I was able to get it a few days before the Gamecube launch. I can't remember how, but I remember having it, and just... reading the manual over and over and staring at the box.

Great episode!

Oh man, that 500 dollar NES...
Surprised Wave Race: Blue Storm wasn't in there. That game looked freaking incredible on release.

Yeah, I was a fan too.

Ducktail

I absolutely adore these DF Retro videos. They really appeal to my nostalgia, and Dark is great.
Keep them coming!

The video also made me a bit sour on Super Mario Maker...

Brilliant video as ever.

It would be interesting to compare/contrast Nintendo's approach to launch software with their competitors in a future video. Sega's would be really interesting to see.

Top Bottom