• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Retro's Failed Consoles: We Play Every 32X Game [Part Two]

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Yeah I have Xybots for the Atari ST and it looks very similar but the controls on the ST sucked I wonder if they are better on the arcade version.

If I remember correctly, the arcade version had twisty controls like Ikari Warriors. So you could kind of circle strafe in a 'boxy' way

Sapiens

You're a good man, John! Thank you for the morning coffee video!

What is your background music track list for this video?

BFIB

This is fantastic. Between this, ACG, and NXGamer, my youtube gaming is covered.

I had no idea about this X-Men 32X title.

That unfinished x men game looks a little like Xybots - at least from the the fixed camera angle.

Makes me wish for an Atari arcade collection with games from that era.

That 32x X-Men game actually looks more like Electrocop on the Lynx than Xybots: https://youtu.be/FKc_QznAIJY?t=143

Though the Atari Lynx also has a fantastic version of Xybots too.

There was an arcade port (or emulation) of Xybots released on Midway Arcade Treasures 2 that was released back in 2005 on various consoles. But it would be nice to see a newer collection. I think Warner Bros owns all of the Midway/ Atari arcade division back catalog now.

Xater

My friend, you are in luck. Thanks to a poster on Gaf I was able to hook up with a guy that isn't too far from my location who just happens to own basically every single Jaguar game. He's willing to lend me anything necessary to make a great Jaguar episode. So, yes, the Jag is going to get a massive episode all its own this fall!

Awesome! So much looking forward to that.

Also really looking forward to the Doom episode. That will probably be quite the project.

Can we just all agree that Digital Foundry is putting some amazing content as of lately? I've been enjoying the shit out of everything they've been doing for the last couple months.

oatmeal

Banned
As much as I love these videos, I need you to learn the Broadcast Loop for your wireless mic.

audio-technica-lav-mic.png

http://blog.audio-technica.com/fred-ginsburgs-tips-rigging-lavalier-microphones/

Cafeman

I enjoyed the subject matter of part one more than part two (of course?), because most of these games are kind of sucky. I am impressed by Shadow Squadron though , and this vid portrays it well. Thanks for these features. My SEGA-lovin' self loved this series, and prior Daytona Framerate and Tomb Raider Analyzed vids.

I learned some things about the 32X that I didn't know BITD. After seeing how unimpressive the games ended up being compared to Saturn, it seems obvious now why, when the 2 RISC chips were clocked down, and the hardware didn't even support hardware scrolling/scaling but was all in software. I was genuinely surprised that the color-rich bg's of Chaotix were all Genesis hardware!! The extra colors needed for Sprites normally could be applied fully to bg's and shading. I guess 64 colors were enough after all. :)

But if 32X had no hardware scaling, why are the super scaler titles so well done? All done in software I suppose? And thus 30fps and not 60fps like the 80's coin-ops?

Also, LOL and agreement that 32X Motocross "might just be the worst game ever featured on a digital foundry video". :) Seriously, I remember renting it and making whatever face equates to "!!!??!?!??!@@#?!". This crapper even makes Cosmic Carnage see high quality.

(_)3

Yep. That's in part 1.

Any chance of doing a Twisted Metal DF Retro at some point? I ask because when I think of interesting changes in a video game series, TM has quite a bit: the level of interactivity from initial games to later games, the 60fps bump in TMB (that went back to 30fps for the PS3 Twisted Metal), the sizes of the maps, the "smart" missiles which were added during the PS2 days, etc.

It seems like a series that's ripe for exploration in the tech department. Putting in my two cents on that as DF Retro and Digital Foundry as a whole have been some of my favorite video game videos to watch over the years, and you all do a very, very good job.

oatmeal

Banned
Thanks.

Yeah, sound in general is my biggest issue right now and I haven't put in the effort to really improve it.

The other problem I'm having is with the "F" sound in all recordings. Driving me crazy.
You sound fine. It's just for when you're on camera. Makes the mic look really clean and pro.

mrchad

I enjoyed the subject matter of part one more than part two (of course?), because most of these games are kind of sucky. I am impressed by Shadow Squadron though , and this vid portrays it well. Thanks for these features. My SEGA-lovin' self loved this series, and prior Daytona Framerate and Tomb Raider Analyzed vids.

I learned some things about the 32X that I didn't know BITD. After seeing how unimpressive the games ended up being compared to Saturn, it seems obvious now why, when the 2 RISC chips were clocked down, and the hardware didn't even support hardware scrolling/scaling but was all in software. I was genuinely surprised that the color-rich bg's of Chaotix were all Genesis hardware!! The extra colors needed for Sprites normally could be applied fully to bg's and shading. I guess 64 colors were enough after all. :)

But if 32X had no hardware scaling, why are the super scaler titles so well done? All done in software I suppose? And thus 30fps and not 60fps like the 80's coin-ops?

Also, LOL and agreement that 32X Motocross "might just be the worst game ever featured on a digital foundry video". :) Seriously, I remember renting it and making whatever face equates to "!!!??!?!??!@@#?!". This crapper even makes Cosmic Carnage see high quality.

(_)3

I distinctly remember Dave Halverson (sp?) of Diehard Gamefan trying so hard to love that Motocross game simply because it was motocross. Gamefan's reviews were so lenient on 32x (and most platforms), but they did have pretty screen caps.

I know John is mostly a console guy but this series would be perfect for some home computer retrospectives. A lot of people including myself grew up playing games on Amigas, Atari STs, Commodores, Amstrads and Spectrums.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I know John is mostly a console guy but this series would be perfect for some home computer retrospectives. A lot of people including myself grew up playing games on Amigas, Atari STs, Commodores, Amstrads and Spectrums.
I agree and would love to do it but, admittedly, I don't own any of those and didn't grow up with them. My first PC was an IBM 8086 that was awful for games.

That said, I do have something in the works (eventually) covering a rather awesome Japanese computer thanks to the help of someone else.

Speakiing of failed consoles, I would love to see in-depth coverage of the PCE SuperGrafx one day. Pretty rare hardware and HuCards to hold of, though it would be a pretty short piece given the system's extraordinarily short life and tiny library.

Speakiing of failed consoles, I would love to see in-depth coverage of the PCE SuperGrafx one day. Pretty rare hardware and HuCards to hold of, though it would be a pretty short piece given the system's extraordinarily short life and tiny library.

I agree. Some of the software is astronomical though, right?

I agree and would love to do it but, admittedly, I don't own any of those and didn't grow up with them. My first PC was an IBM 8086 that was awful for games.

That said, I do have something in the works (eventually) covering a rather awesome Japanese computer thanks to the help of someone else.

Wild guess: NEC PC-FX?

Or even cooler: Sharp X68000 with increased Motorola 68000 processor speed for each iteration :D

nkarafo

Oh wow, they actually released it for free. Just a week after my video was being work on too. Dang!
I mean, what are the chances that during the same time you were working on your video for the console, trying to cover every game in some way, even those you didn't really want to cover, someone else was working to re-release a game that nobody could obtain for that console as well, decades after it was completely dead. Just so only a few days after the video was released, someone can say "well, you didn't cover every 32X game lol".

It could be worse. Imagine making a "We play all SNES games" and a week after you finally finish the work of your life, covering 800+ games, Nintendo releases SNES mini with Starfox 2 in it.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds

PC-88, 98 or MSX/2?

An X68000 showcase would be very interesting and useful for a lot of people, since DF Retro's best suited to look at performance and in-depth analysis for both ports and original/unique games. But I'd love to see a PC-88 episode too, focusing on the more unloved side of that platform and how programmers managed to make those games look better no matter how little the hardware helped. Something on the X68k, and then maybe the Amiga later, would be a great diversion.

That said, I'm betting on MSX(2) since that's the safer bet for an episode or two, and it's got plenty of discussion material on its own (plus way less games which need English fan translations to really play or understand).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I mean, what are the chances that during the same time you were working on your video for the console, trying to cover every game in some way, even those you didn't really want to cover, someone else was working to re-release a game that nobody could obtain for that console as well, decades after it was completely dead. Just so only a few days after the video was released, someone can say "well, you didn't cover every 32X game lol".

It could be worse. Imagine making a "We play all SNES games" and a week after you finally finish the work of your life, covering 800+ games, Nintendo releases SNES mini with Starfox 2 in it.
Well, I guess to be fair, I did include the game in the video and mentioned their site. Maybe it prompted them to release it. ;) I know we have a lot of viewers from Brazil on these retro videos.

Cafeman

I distinctly remember Dave Halverson (sp?) of Diehard Gamefan trying so hard to love that Motocross game simply because it was motocross. Gamefan's reviews were so lenient on 32x (and most platforms), but they did have pretty screen caps.

to be honest - after the initial SHOCK of how sucky the game seems, once you pull out of the 'pack' of cluttered opponents and make some progress, the game does have semi-fun gameplay. But the presentation is SO BAD, who'd ever want to.

Dave should've had some of GF's spiked coffee before trying this game.

Fiendcode

Hyped for the JP computer DF Retro. I'd happy with just about anything, PC-8801, PC-9801, X1, X68000, FM-7, FM Towns, MSX, MSX2, MSX2+, etc

Hahaha, I had one of those. Prince of Persia was pretty much the only good game I could get to run on it. The garbage US Gold port of Street Fighter 1 did too, though once I played it I kind of wished it didn't.

Hyped for PC98 or X68K! If it's X68K, try to play Prince of Persia, it had a really great port there. I really liked Akumajo Dracula too.

Welp...

Seems like the Sega CD - 32X version of Surgical Strike got re-released

http://www.vgdb.com.br/i/pre-order-pre-venda-de-surgical-strike-re-launch-para-32x.html

Woah! That's kind of amazing, usually when someone owns something that incredibly rare they never release a copy of the rom out to the public for free. Probably only a few hundred copies of the game were made, and last I heard there were what, like two known copies? I wonder, was this one of those or a different one...

As for the game, Surgical Strike is okay-ish for an FMV vehicular shooting game, but while they try the FMV nature of the game limits it. Sure you can choose different routes and there are lots of different enemies to blow up, but you can only see the same clips so many times before it gets old... though I want to try this, it's a nice looking game for the regular SCD but I'm sure this looks a lot better.

(I wonder if some collector has a copy of Wirehead 32XCD, if that ever actually reached a playable state... that game is crazy amusing, so that'd be an awesome one to see sometime even just in a video. Or maybe the 32X version project never got anywhere, who knows.)

Nheco

It's nothing related to failed consoles, but man, I would love to see a DF Retro special on all SNES enhancement chips!

Top Bottom