• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Shadow of War: Early Xbox One X vs PS4 Pro Graphics Comparison + Frame-Rate test

Syrus

Banned
RFiJNyN.gif

Lol wyf is this. Funny lol

I guess, what everybody should be asking is what quality of textures are on PS4. That could have easily been deciphered comparing it to the PC version at the same rez. It would also be interesting to see those areas with low rez textures on PS4 vs the same areas on the XBONEX with 4k textures and without.
From my eyes it looks like the garbage setting on PC.xbonex looks sweet according to the pre release footage.

iHaunter

Ps3 was a year later, costed more, but most games were better on 360.

Nothing to do with anything.

Games looked better on PS3 later in the generation.

Xbox 360 had better games early on, PS3 caught up. Regardless I had both and I still don't get your point.

statham

Nothing to do with anything.

Games looked better on PS3 later in the generation.

Xbox 360 had better games early on, PS3 caught up. Regardless I had both and I still don't get your point.

most games. XBX along with 1.8TF better performance, 4 gb of extra ram, unique cooling system, AND 4K Bluray drive which is not cheap.

a couple handful of games looked better, compared to the entire roster.

Didn't that have more to do with the Cell being a bitch to program for instead of an actual pure power difference like we have here though? I could be wrong.
the cell gave them a few better looking and and alot worse looking games.

belvedere

Junior Butler
Serious question as a new participant of the 4k era.

Outside of textures, how much of a difference will I honestly be able to tell from 7ft away regarding resolution? How noticeable will 1980 vs 1620 truly be?

rokkerkory

Outside of textures, how much of a difference will I honestly be able to tell from 7ft away regarding resolution? How noticeable will 1980 vs 1620 truly be?

within 10 ft I would say there is a good difference, inside 7 or less? bigger even

OCD Guy

There is absolutely no way to downplay the difference. It's substantial.

One thing I noticed though is at one point the PS4 Pro appeared to have a much smoother framerate.

Look at the split screen as the camera pans, the Xbox looks jerky, compared to the smoother panning on PS4. The more I look at it, the more jarring it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPsxUyoe3E&t=1m38s

If that particular footage is anything to go by I'd rather have that smoothness than the sharper textures....

One thing I noticed though is at one point the PS4 Pro appeared to have a much smoother framerate.

Look at the split screen as the camera pans, the Xbox looks jerky, compared to the smoother panning on PS4. The more I look at it, the more jarring it is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzPsxUyoe3E&t=1m38s

You do realize you are comparing a finished game to an unfinished game right? I'd save that argument for a Month from now.

OCD Guy

You do realize you are comparing a finished game to an unfinished game right? I'd save that argument for a Month from now.

Ah ok, time will tell then.

No argument from me though, I've got my X pre-ordered :)

If I'm totally honest I wish that both Sony and MS had just kept their consoles at 1080p and we got improved framerates. They could have saved 4k for next gen.

KageMaru

I guess, what everybody should be asking is what quality of textures are on PS4. That could have easily been deciphered comparing it to the PC version at the same rez. It would also be interesting to see those areas with low rez textures on PS4 vs the same areas on the XBONEX with 4k textures and without.

Well as it's been said before, it's not just about the texture resolution but also the amount of textures in a given scene. You can have 2 higher resolution textures taking up the same amount of memory as a dozen lower resolution textures. That being said, this game is very RAM hungry. So the output on the different platforms makes sense.

Depends on the size of your TV and your eye for detail. A game that's 1800p looks much better than a 1440 game on my TV.

Bottom line is if you have a decent good sized 4K set and don’t get the X some part of you (and some part of me) will always be wondering what you’re (I’m) missing.

I may wait until Red Dead Redemption though as nothing out now or soon are must plays for me

gaming_noob

The human eye can only see 1080p if you sit more than 3 feet away.

rokkerkory

If that particular footage is anything to go by I'd rather have that smoothness than the sharper textures....

Since you watched that vid I am sure you also heard that the next sentence was it was early code from months ago.

Zyae

The more I look at this the more I think the Pro version is more accurate, this is almost akin to the SSS on skin on snake vs the rougher looking skin on the XB1. Of course the Dynamic rez of the Pro version just makes everything looks smoother.

Everything that's rougher does not mean better quality, it's similar to the coarse sand in Journey on PS3 vs more dense looking particles(pixels) on account of the higher rez of the PS4 version, perhaps the devs can weigh in as to what they were going for. I see some of the textures and reflections on the XB1 as more of an artifact of a higher resolution, all the PP does not help either. All in all I find that the PS4 version more accurate.

As opposed to the DF author speaking of the PC version as superior ahead of it's release, I'd actually like to see what the PC version looks like in those scenes. Was there a Beta on PC as well? Do we have any shots of it, if so?......

Jesus...

If this thread is anything to go by, reading future XB1X comparison threads should be entertaining. lol

Microsoft made a beast of a console. Good to see it's paying off early. Can't wait to get mine to put it right next to my Pro.

OCD Guy

Since you watched that vid I am sure you also heard that the next sentence was it was early code from months ago.

It's 3am here and I'm tired lol. I was actually watching the video on mute but apologies to anyone offended, I wasn't trying to provoke a reaction or anything.

HotHamBoy

Why the fuck is this thread 11 pages?

This is like Super Nintendo fans getting defensive over the fact that the Sega 32x version of Mortal Kombat II looks and plays better.

yPJ7udy.jpg

theWB27

I never said Xbox One X was 3TF I said if the GPU was Vega the 6TF number could be fp16. Also nothing here contradicts PS4 Pro being 8.4TF fp16

I've heard this technique mentioned... But it's adding teraflops and it's not being taken advantage of?

Veon

Neo Member
I never said Xbox One X was 3TF I said if the GPU was Vega the 6TF number could be fp16. Also nothing here contradicts PS4 Pro being 8.4TF fp16

I doubt you'll see FP16 used efficiently this generation, maybe ninth but not now.

belvedere

Junior Butler
I've heard this technique mentioned... But it's adding teraflops and it's not being taken advantage of?

There's games that use it but its impact is debatable. Apparently its Vega architecture that Cerny-san thought important enough to incorporate in the PS4 Pro, but Microsoft didn't deem important enough to include in X1X.

It's a thing and it has uses, but I'm not sure it's the secret sauce some claim it to be.

statham

you was definitely trying to spread fud. just said it in a certain way to cover you butt. but you knew what you was doing.

Veon

Neo Member
There's games that use it but its impact is debatable. Apparently its Vega architecture that Cerny-san thought important enough to incorporate in the PS4 Pro, but Microsoft didn't deem important enough to include in X1X.

It's a thing and it has uses, but I'm not sure it's the secret sauce some claim it to be.

I think the upcoming Wolfenstein 2 is using FP16 (not for the whole game), so we should see some kind of performance boost to the PRO version.

theWB27

I dig this description

ErMerGerd

Neo Member
Welp. The difference is big enough I may just have to get one of these fucking things now. Knew the difference would be at least somewhat significant, but I thought I could resist. Damn

Top Bottom