• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tech Analysis: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

I love their take on the AA implementation of this game, it's basically "We don't know how they did it, but hopefully they will tell us in the future."

Naughty Gods indeed..

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Well, the loading is much faster then TLOU's, that's particularly why I was impressed. I was expecting TLOU: Remastered levels of initial load times, but it's nothing like that.

You mention they see it as a negative. I'm struggling to understand that because if it works like TLOU there was only one load time at the beginning and then no load times afterwards while you play. That's a massive positive in my opinion.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wow, I didn't expect the loading as a negative. I suppose it makes sense with their reasoning. When I played it, it was the more typical play through in which the initial loading was fairly quick and then not a loading screen in sight, which was quite impressive.

Pretty much unavoidable really. You can either optimize for linear access or random access when laying out data. Gains in one impact the other.

eso76

Well, the loading is much faster then TLOU's, that's particularly why I was impressed. I was expecting TLOU: Remastered levels of initial load times, but it's nothing like that.

ugh, yeah those are awful.
I just replayed it recently and i was always wondering if it had crashed.
It being 'nothing like that' is reassuring. Not a big deal then.

Also, video shows too much, had to close it.
I don't care about the story, frankly, but i'd like to be surprised by the locations ND hasn't shown (which i believe is quite a lot ?)

Ducktail

I love their take on the AA implementation of this game, it's basically "We don't know how they did it, but hopefully they will tell us in the future."

Naughty Gods indeed..

That made me laugh.

I was honestly skeptical of how the game would look compared to E3's first video and all of the '60 fps' target everybody was so keen on discussing.

This game looks amazing.

Photo mode locks to the player, honestly for me this is the biggest negative going into the game.

Ahh what really? :( Info I had was zoom was locked to a dolly, but after that you could freely move the cam about, unlike locked to dolly and a orbit like the previous photomode in Uncharted collection and TLOU. Disappointed slightly, will have to edit my screenshot thread some before posting later. Sorry for misinformation guys.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I guess this is how you soothe disquiet about Neo...release something that pushes the bar up again and makes the current box attractive even in the face of those reports. As a non-PS4 owner, this is making the option to wait for Neo less attractive :(

You mention they see it as a negative. I'm struggling to understand that because if it works like TLOU there was only one load time at the beginning and then no load times afterwards while you play. That's a massive positive in my opinion.

Yea, that's why I was surprised. I thought myself it would be a positive. Though, their reasoning is solid as well.

I just think the loading will be a positive for the vast majority of players.

Grief51

Banned
Yelp. So much for underpowered consoles. The Naughty Gods soldier forward. And to think apparently Sony wants to release a PS4 Neo this fall.

The Last of Us 2 is going to look completely amazing isn't it? Yup. Yes it will...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Yea, that's why I was surprised. I thought myself it would be a positive. Though, their reasoning is solid as well.

I just think the loading will be a positive for the vast majority of players.

If it's not then I'd have to assume people are insane. This is how ALL games should be.

I imagine this article won't sit well with some people.

Well, they are discussing on Tim Dogs Twitter how the game doesn't look as good as Ryse and how it looks like Nathan Drake is in A Sea Of Thieves...So, yeah, the game is not very impressive comparatively....lol

iceatcs

No, it looks great and very natural in ROTTR and it looked great in 2013 after the fix on PC.

Just because someone posted gif of it from day 1 when it was broken, doesn't mean that it's shit.

But that hair gif indeed looks poor.

This game shows how far good baked lighting and good PBR can take you for graphical fidelity.
Good baked lighting > bad dynamic lighting , this is just yet another example of that alongside mirror's edge (the original one), dishonored and AC unity.

I wish more developers did it rather than always go for dynamic lighting even in games where it's not needed. It looks better and makes the game run infinitely much better

Seriously though: look beyond the PBR and lighting and you're left with really low poly environments in much of this video

Not sure if it's the youtube compression but it looks like the TAA artifacts make for a very dirty image in motion especially combined with the motion blur.

@ people asking 'how' : baked lighting, low quality shadows, rather low polygon environments and poor LOD is how.

Roussow

Ahh what really? :( Info I had was zoom was locked to a dolly, but after that you could freely move the cam about, unlike locked to dolly and a orbit like the previous photomode in Uncharted collection and TLOU. Disappointed slightly, will have to edit my screenshot thread some before posting later. Sorry for misinformation guys.

Don't take my word for it, I'm just going off the DF video -- I haven't tested it myself.

nOoblet16

With very poor shadows.

Was going to say the same, Uncharted 1 had better shadows than this actually hah. Infact even in last gen Uncharted 1 had better shadows and overall texture res than UC2 and UC3 since the later games did more with variety. In the remaster they were all high res though and most definitely higher than this in UC4.

Consoles this gen are really draw cell limited so draw distance and shadows get affected so much. A lot of PS4 games do shadows better than UC4 though so no it's not better than other PS4 games in this area atleast (for instance farcry does it a lot better, just one example) and that's totally fine it can't be the best at everything regardless of ND being the developer.

The Lamp

The only disappointing thing about the visuals here are the sometimes blurry shadows and the unimpressive water. Everything else is amazing.

score01

Don't take my word for it, I'm just going off the DF video -- I haven't tested it myself.

Camera mode does seem to lock you in to the player character, you can move the camera around the player freely and remove all characters from the scene and use FOV to zoom in and out. You can't move the camera anywhere in the scene though. Feels similar to the camera in Arkham Knight.

nib95

Banned
With very poor shadows.

I just played another big budget linear game before Uncharted 4, and I can tell you, Uncharted 4's shadow quality was still far better. Very poor is exaggerating it. Overall I'd still say it was good to very good, just with the odd issue here and there. But that's par for the course since most console games actually have fairly weak shadow quality, and Uncharted 4's still manages to be better than the majority.

NeoRaider

But that hair gif indeed looks poor.

I repeat, TressFX was broken first week or two after the release, it was new technology and later it was mostly fixed and improved with the updates. Also why are we comparing game from 2013 with 2016 game?

This is TressFX in ROTTR:

tumblr_o39oe7PRVq1v7dikco1_400.gif

tumblr_o0ay1hNAzy1tgm3jvo1_500.gif

tumblr_nx5unyg6MW1u0scoko1_400.gif

tumblr_nxkjyx72Fq1rxhu0oo1_500.gif

Sorry but nothing comes close to the PC version of ROTTR if we are talking about the hair.

LostDonkey

I just played another big budget linear game before Uncharted 4, and I can tell you, Uncharted 4's shadow quality was still far better. Very poor is exaggerating it. Overall I'd still say it was good to very good, just with the odd issue here and there. But that's par for the course since most console games actually have fairly weak shadow quality, and Uncharted 4's still manages to be better than the majority.

Thats not what the analysis video says? it say you can see where compromises were made with low shadow quality and dithering etc.

I'm just going off the DF vid.

Camera mode does seem to lock you in to the player character, you can move the camera around the player freely and remove all characters from the scene and use FOV to zoom in and out. You can't move the camera anywhere in the scene though. Feels similar to the camera in Arkham Knight.

oh right, yeah, that's what I meant then, ok. Before in the previous games, you were locked with a dolly and orbit control and tied to the character, Now it seems that even though you are tied to characters they've granted more freedom so you can now move freely about with the cam around characters, just best to adjust zoom level first.

Thats not what the analysis video says? it say you can see where compromises were made with low shadow quality and dithering etc.

The compromise is in relative to the exceptional quality in other department of UC4, not on a global scale.

nib95

Banned

Yes, in comparison to everything else in the game which is done mostly exceptionally well. In that respect UC4's shadow quality compromises, which are actually common place with the majority of console games, stand out more only because the rest of the package is so impeccable or class leading.

LostDonkey

Yes, in comparison to everything else in the game which is done mostly exceptionally well. In that respect UC4's shadow quality compromises, which are actually common place with the majority of console games, stand out more only because the rest of the package is so impeccable or class leading.

So you agree, in answer to the question posed: How was this done?

The answer can be contributed to compromises in shadow quality. Which is what I was getting at.

Only watched the video sofar but I love what I am seeing. A great maximisation of the strengths of rendering given the budget before them.

I have yet to read the article yet.

Qustions for people who own the game: Is the POM self-shadowing in sunlight?
Does anyone else notice how the TAA is also post-sharpening? I keep seeing it occassionally in screens, but I am not sure if I am imagining it.

I repeat, TressFX was broken first week or two after the release, it was new technology and later it was mostly fixed and improved with the updates. Also why are we comparing game from 2013 with 2016 game?

This is TressFX in ROTTR:

tumblr_o39oe7PRVq1v7dikco1_400.gif

tumblr_o0ay1hNAzy1tgm3jvo1_500.gif

tumblr_nx5unyg6MW1u0scoko1_400.gif

tumblr_nxkjyx72Fq1rxhu0oo1_500.gif

Sorry but nothing comes close to the PC version of ROTTR if we are talking about the hair.
Yup, ROTTR's TressFX is amazing. Snow accumulation, wetness, maintaining shape while still moving realistically...

Lady Gaia

Obviously a glowing story about a very exciting title, but what's with the "promised 60fps" claim? They were very clear at the time that they were going to try for it, but they never made any promises and came clean long ago to state that it was going to be 30fps. Is this a ham-fisted attempt at balanced journalism?

I agree that it's likely we'll see a 60fps Neo reveal when the premium console gets unveiled. Personally I'd be happy with extra rendering fidelity and effects, but I know many would really like the extra frame rate and I suspect that's easier to deliver when your original target was PS4. Naughty Dog's next game will give them a more interesting opportunity to decide how best to use the extra CPU and GPU resources.

Top Bottom