• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Tech Analysis: Uncharted 4: A Thief's End

f@luS

More than a member.
Shadows are, and always have been a huge factor in how any 3d game performs. Having them toned down to jaggy ugly artifacting levels like shown in a lot of the videos will help immensely with performance in other areas, yes.

Also not at you but in general, this game looks amazing, but the best game ever???

Battlefront alone murders this visually. Best game on console I'd agree with.
How? If you speak about resolution only but overall package I think Uc is better looking than battle front on a beefy computer. But murder?

Dunno if this has been mentioned already in this thread, but "once spotted, your position remains known until you kill everyone" for all previous Uncharteds is FALSE. Played Uncharted 2 (NDC) this weekend and you can reenter stealth.

really..? i have seen only some jeep driving footage and some sneaning section from this game and i thought it was really underwhelming, merely a small upgrade over previous Uncharteds and not a true generational leap.

i have been wrong many times before so.. can anyone link to some truly spectacular footage that lives up to all the hyperbolic praise?

You're blessed with poor eyesight. Don't worry about it.

A.R.K

Bravo and congrats to ND. They truly are above the rest of the industry wizards. This makes me even more excited for TOLU2, my most anticipated game. Just imagine what they will do with Neo :))))).

KKRT00

Get a cheap used one when the Neo comes out.

Its a year from now ;/

---
I would agree if I didn't believe it was mostly due to his bias against consoles in general. I mean I know he played RYSE to completion and enjoyed it so I know its not an issue of quality.
I have not finished RYSE and i bought it on PC for like 25$. Thats a difference between buying whole console + game.
I have not bought Alien Isolation, because i cant play this game - too scary ;p, and i have not bought Quantum Break, because its locked behind Microsoft bullshit service.
I'm still not even sure if i will buy Doom, because i dont have much time for gaming lately and Stellaris just came out!

----
KKRT will get a PS4 once GTSport comes out.

Yeah, probably ;p
But i have a friend with PS4, so i'll probably lend it in few months from him. It wont happen in upcoming weeks though.

---
How? If you speak about resolution only but overall package I think Uc is better looking than battle front on a beefy computer. But murder?

I many areas U4 is better than Battlefront, but my god, there is no game that does environment geometry better than Battlefront.

Battlefront is pretty nice looking

You can probably make a convincing argument about most current gen games being the best looking of all time if you downsample from ridiculous resolutions. I think what people are referring to with U4 is the fact that it is realtime and playable and runs at 1080p yet looks like that.

I have yet to play it so cannot comment, but I really don't think super high res PC screenshots are a good indicator of "best looking game" because a good "photographer" who downsamples from super high resolution will always be able to create absolutely stunning shots.

Battlefront is pretty nice looking

It looks great. Overall though, the levels are rather simple compared to U4 (well it is MP), the character models are not as impressive, and obviously the attention to detail is not as good. Otherwise, even on consoles it runs at 60fps, so I would say it is up there for sure. Frostbite sure is impressive.

LostDonkey

This isn't really saying anything. I've seen places in UC that were way more detailed and looked just like that. If we add character models, animations and detail to the world it's going to be a big difference.

You have literally got to be joking.

That looks leagues better than anything on the market.

LostDonkey

Yes, I agree that it looks nice. But from the entire package I've seen between the two games, I think Uncharted 4 looks better. That's not to say that Battlefront can't look better, but "visually murders" is quite astounding.

You have to remember that uncharted is running at 1080p.

1080p.

Battlefront in 4k is insanely good looking, uncharted doesn't even get close.

You can probably make a convincing argument about most current gen games being the best looking of all time if you downsample from ridiculous resolutions. I think what people are referring to with U4 is the fact that it is realtime and playable and runs at 1080p yet looks like that.

I have yet to play it so cannot comment, but I really don't think super high res PC screenshots are a good indicator of "best looking game" because a good "photographer" who downsamples from super high resolution will always be able to create absolutely stunning shots.

So Uncharted should get bonus points because it's limited to 1080p? Righhttt...

Ullus

Yes Uncharted 4 is great looking considering the hardware it runs on, but to say it looks better than Battlefront(among others) on PC is just something I can't agree on.

You have literally got to be joking.

That looks leagues better than anything on the market.
Have you played UC4?? I have, and I've played Battlefront on PC and PS4. To say it "murders" UC4 is hyperbole. What are you even comparing it wiht?? At 4K? the framerate? Characters?? Animations? Physics?? Because if we're comparing static screenshots, it's easy to say Battlefront looks better.

LostDonkey

Have you played UC4?? I have, and I've played Battlefront on PC and PS4. To say it "murders" UC4 is hyperbole. What are you even comparing it wiht?? At 4K? the framerate? Characters?? Animations? Physics?? Because if we're comparing static screenshots, it's easy to say Battlefront looks better.

Yes I have played both just like you and the fact remains, Battlefront, seeing as I'm responding to claims that uncharted is the best looking game ever made, not on console, but ever made-which includes games on PC in 4k res and above, looks better than Uncharted. By miles.

Hell, Battlefield 4 in 4k looks better.

I said I agree that on console, it's the best looking. But to say best ever made would have to include PC and just no.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
So people who've played it really feel it looks better than the Order 1886? That's the only game to legit wow me visually this generation.

Yes I have played both just like you and the fact remains, Battlefront, seeing as I'm responding to claims that uncharted is the best looking game ever made, not on console, but ever made-which includes games on PC in 4k res and above, looks better than Uncharted. By miles.

Hell, Battlefield 4 in 4k looks better.

I said I agree that on console, it's the best looking. But to say best ever made would have to include PC and just no.

You've played UC4 Single player or MP beta?

4K or not, I still think UC4 looks better. IQ and FPS aren't the only metrics by which I measure "looks amazing".

RedAssedApe

Banned
1 day away? not watching this lol

but yeah tomb raider 2013 tressfx was weird...hair was like a shampoo commercial.

rottr looks and moves much better.

Christ, let's stop with the dick-waving in here.

sass1.png

So your bump was just to try and take Uncharted down a notch or something? Even though reviewers are nearly unanimously gushing over the graphics calling it one of the best looking games they've ever seen?

You do you, fam.

sass2.png

Seems a lot like dick-waving to me.

LostDonkey

You've played UC4 Single player or MP beta?

4K or not, I still think UC4 looks better. IQ and FPS aren't the only metrics by which I measure "looks amazing".

Single player, and sure, but BF still has the edge in lighting, textures, tessellation, foliage and just general realistic art direction. I've never mistaken UC4 for real life but I have many times with BF.

LostDonkey

Christ, let's stop with the dick-waving in here.

Nobody is dick waving wtf. People are saying that UC4 visually is the best game ever made, on any platform.

I disagree with that. It's discussion. That's what a forum is, isn't it? Or are we just saying Uncharted 4 is the best graphics ever created on any platform and that's that, no one's allowed to disagree?

Because that would be pretty fucked up.

All this argument about absolute objective "best looking" games will never be settled....because there is no such thing. This is highly subjective.

Anyway, re: the article, I figured it would perform great, but was glad to see it impressed even DF's scrutinizing eyes. What a talented studio ND is.

Single player, and sure, but BF still has the edge in lighting, textures, tessellation, foliage and just general realistic art direction. I've never mistaken UC4 for real life but I have many times with BF.

Naughty Dog goes for a more stylized look, so I'm not sure why that would be relevant.

Oh disagree with this point. The tessellation on everything is bonkers. There is no other game that has such a rich geometry.

I was talking about the macro heterogeneity of the levels. The geometry is great, the amount of unique content isn't that great on the scale of the level. Its great at a micro level though.

Despite the technical achievement and seemingly great game overall, there are still people out there who won't play this game simply because it's not 60 FPS, and that kind of bums me out.

Its a year from now ;/

---

I have not finished RYSE and i bought it on PC for like 25$. Thats a difference between buying whole console + game.
I have not bought Alien Isolation, because i cant play this game - too scary ;p, and i have not bought Quantum Break, because its locked behind Microsoft bullshit service.
I'm still not even sure if i will buy Doom, because i dont have much time for gaming lately and Stellaris just came out!

Damnit KKRT are you serious? Now I'm the one that looks like he has a bias. I thought for sure I remember that about Ryse but I must have been mistaken. My apologies.

You and Dictator are interesting to me because I have no where near the technical expertise of both of you but I love the latest greatest thing when its comes to visuals. I have always chased graphics no matter the cost. Every PC I have bought and upgraded has been due to some game being the pinnacle visually - UT, Doom 3, Crysis, HL2-EP2, and now Star Citizen. I know you guys share that same passion so I would have just assumed you would chase the visuals.

rashbeep

Banned
This isn't really saying anything. I've seen places in UC that were way more detailed and looked just like that. If we add character models, animations and detail to the world it's going to be a big difference.

If we're talking about environmental assets, then no I think BF is still king. Photogrammetry went a long way there. Lighting in UC4 is quite pretty though.

Its a year from now ;/

---

----

Yeah, probably ;p
But i have a friend with PS4, so i'll probably lend it in few months from him. It wont happen in upcoming weeks though.

---

I many areas U4 is better than Battlefront, but my god, there is no game that does environment geometry better than Battlefront.

it is the first time ive seen tessellation put to good use to improve visual fidelity

so you actually cant tell the difference between battlefront and real life?

LostDonkey

so you actually cant tell the difference between battlefront and real life?

In some shots I have been fooled until closer inspection. That's never happened with UC4.

That to me is more impressive.

I mean it's funny to me that when comparing 720p/900p to 1080p on this forum there is a massive unquantifiable difference. But when someone mentions 4k it doesn't matter at all.

How convenient.

In some shots I have been fooled until closer inspection. That's never happened with UC4.

I mean it's funny to me that when comparing 720p/900p to 1080p on this forum there is a massive unquantifiable difference. But when someone mentions 4k it doesn't matter at all.

How convenient.
All people are saying is that 4K is not going to change the art. It lets you see it clearer, so to say that Battlefront looks better at 8K downsampled to 1080p than Uncharted running at raw 1080p is silly because of course it will look better. Compare a 1080p Battlefront pic to a 1080p Uncharted pic then talk.

How convenient.

mind linking me to one or some of the shots from battlefront that you thought were real life? the subjective difference between 720p and 1080p is bigger than 1080p to 4k. that being said im not one of the people who even discusses the whole 720p/900p console wars debate. and battlefield 4 at 4k does not look better than uncharted 4. thats just crazy talk.

LostDonkey

All people are saying is that 4K is not going to change the art. It lets you see it clearer, so to say that Battlefront looks better at 8K downsampled to 1080p than Uncharted running at raw 1080p is silly because of course it will look better. Compare a 1080p Battlefront pic to a 1080p Uncharted pic then talk.

But why do that? The point being discussed is best visuals ever made, on any platform.

To then handicap the PC version of a game down to the same resolution of a console just because that's all the console can manage is an absolutely ridiculous method.

The fact is the PC CAN produce visuals in that range. It CAN produce lifelike visuals far in advance of what UC4 is doing. That's not for discussion. That's fact.

But why do that? The point being discussed is best visuals ever made, on any platform.

To then handicap the PC version of a game down to the same resolution of a console just because that's all the console can manage is an absolutely ridiculous method.

The fact is the PC CAN produce visuals in that range. It CAN produce lifelike visuals far in advance of what UC4 is doing. That's not for discussion. That's fact.
You do know that resolution has 0 effect on the actual assets themselves, right? Just makes them easier to see. I have no doubt that Uncharted 4 at 8K down sampled to 1080p and then sharpened in Photoshop would probably convince you it was the best looking game ever.

Top Bottom