• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Last Guardian PS5 Runs At 60FPS... But How? And What's The Catch?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PlayStation 5 owners with PS+ subscriptions get instant access to The Last Guardian via PS4 back-compat, but it's locked at 30fps. The system is capable of so much more - in fact, it can run pretty much locked at full 60fps - but you need an original disc copy of the game to do it. And there are some drawbacks... Tom takes you through it all.
And that’s another reason why physical copy is still king. It’s the same with God of War, it runs 4K @ 60fps on the PS5, when you use the disc and don’t update the game.
So for PS5 BC, you get different results when you play off a disc or play a digital copy?

AllyITA

And that’s another reason why physical copy is still king. It’s the same with God of War, it runs 4K @ 60fps on the PS5, when you use the disc and don’t update the game.
i get your point, but usually playing an unpatched game doesn't make it "king".

sony could easily make another patch to uncap the frame rate (or give the option to players to do it). but they don't care/don't want to spend the money, so they will not do it.

waquzy

sony could easily make another patch to uncap the frame rate (or give the option to players to do it). but they don't care/don't want to spend the money, so they will not do it.

You are right, just an unpatched game doesn’t make physical “king”

Resale value and more options makes it king!

It's a shame that Sony doesn't seem to care to update some of their exclusives.

I have the disc version of god of war - but it pisses me off the idea I need to play on the og version to get full 60 fps. Just release a patch Sony! Absolute fuckers for not doing that. It wouldn't be much work at all - just say its an experimental unlocked fps mode.

waquzy

I have the disc version of god of war - but it pisses me off the idea I need to play on the og version to get full 60 fps. Just release a patch Sony! Absolute fuckers for not doing that. It wouldn't be much work at all - just say its an experimental unlocked fps mode.
What’s the difference between the OG and the latest patch version of the game?! I’m willing to bet: fuck all... apart from some minor bug fixes etc.

GametimeUK

Played through this and really enjoyed it at 60fps. I tried so hard, but it didn't grab me on PS4 due to performance. After playing on PS5 it's one of my favourite games of all time. Even a stable 30 would be great, but 60 was the way to go. There are a few times the game will lock and you can't progress past the freezes until you update the game (which you then have to uninstall to get back to 60fps). There's also a part during gameplay where the puzzle simply won't work at 60fps and it took me way too long to notice.

Regardless it was a great experience even though I battled through some tough patches, but it's still much better than 30fps to me.

Can't wait to watch this video when I'm home. Game is amazing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
in some games after patches there is 30fps limit and you can't download digital version without patches
the funny thing is that there is a 30 fps limit in the base verison of the last guardian, but for some reason it doesnt work lol. Lance McDonalds, the bloodborne hacker, found the API call that sets the 30 fps cap but it doesnt seem to be getting called anywhere. Great coding lol.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I have the disc, also have Unity. Don't really want to play either though.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
It's a fucking bummer when a fix is just releasing an ini file most of the time

Sony should hire a small company to do these type of updates for their PS4 games on the PS5. It'll cost a couple million dollars, but it'll buy them a Billion dollars of goodwill and continued purchases of old games down the line.

Dr Bass

the funny thing is that there is a 30 fps limit in the base verison of the last guardian, but for some reason it doesnt work lol. Lance McDonalds, the bloodborne hacker, found the API call that sets the 30 fps cap but it doesnt seem to be getting called anywhere. Great coding lol.

You're assuming there isn't a reason for that. For all the code and work that goes into a game, to call out some stupid little thing like that and say "great coding" is silly.

Fake

Depends. If they game release with no bugs I can't see why not the king term.

God of War is really a polish game, so for me who played day one without any necessity of patch is no problem.

While it's 60fps it also runs at native 1890p. Another really impressive boost from PS4 and Pro. Up to 2.5x better performance on PS5 compared to Pro and up to around 10x better perf than the PS4 game.

FranXico

What’s the difference between the OG and the latest patch version of the game?! I’m willing to bet: fuck all... apart from some minor bug fixes etc.
The original disc build runs at 4K60. With a patch, you need to run in performance mode for 60fps, and that limits the resolution to 1080p.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You're assuming there isn't a reason for that. For all the code and work that goes into a game, to call out some stupid little thing like that and say "great coding" is silly.

Its most likely just a bug, that happens to be beneficial when run on a piece of hardware that the developers didn't have access to at the time because it didn't exist yet!

SkylineRKR

The digital Plus versions of this and GoW run at 30fps on my PS5. What a disaster. GoW can run 60, but its 1080p then. I don't get why this patch was a thing.

MrMephistoX

Kind of glad they’re surfacing it: would be amazing if Sony patched this and God of War to allow 60fps and 4K as a toggle option for PS5 only.

FranXico

The digital Plus versions of this and GoW run at 30fps on my PS5. What a disaster. GoW can run 60, but its 1080p then. I don't get why this patch was a thing.
That patch was to ensure a stable framerate on the PS4Pro, and back then, they had to settle with a 30fps cap.

Support was all but abandoned since.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Sony should hire a small company to do these type of updates for their PS4 games on the PS5. It'll cost a couple million dollars, but it'll buy them a Billion dollars of goodwill and continued purchases of old games down the line.
Company? A single dev

Fbh

It's a fucking bummer when a fix is just releasing an ini file most of the time

Yeah that's what makes it really disappointing.
It's not like people are expecting some extensive remaster for free. Just a basic higher framerate cap and resolution bump that in some cases was already available but just patched out.

I really don't get it, specially for a company that seems to take so much pride in their first party stuff.

SkylineRKR

That patch was to ensure a stable framerate on the PS4Pro, and back then, they had to settle with a 30fps cap.

Support was all but abandoned since.

I somehow thought these games ran 60 on PS5 at first and then were patched. This sounds like all they need to do is revoke the patch, which they probably won't bother with.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Fair enough.

I was thinking a group of people (like 3 or 4) that created their own company to do something like this. I'm sure it's a little more complex than we know of.
the fact that it runs at 60 fps without ANY work whatsoever indicates that its really not complex.

same is true for god of war. at the end of the day, PC games have worked like this for decades. if 30 fps was heavily integrated into the engine where multiple different places in the code that had to be changed, the game would simply not work and crash every time.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
We need to see unlocked PS5 profiles for Sony 1st party games for last gen titles. Their library was fantastic and some of these titles deserve to run at 60fps.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Hah, what fortunate timing!
I just finished The Last Guardian the other day on my PS5.
Originally I started with the Rev 1.0 version since I have the physical disk and disabled my internet connection so the game wouldn't update.

The problem with the 60FPS mode is two fold:
First there are scenes in the game which will freeze on the PS5 with the 1.0 version. The first is when you have to push a glass eye off some scaffolding and have Trico grab you before falling to your death.
Second, the game looks completely flat in 60FPS mode.

My personal experience:
Started off at 60FPS mode and I liked the high framerate but could tell everything looked very flat.
I continued this way until I hit the first bug which forced me to install the update.
With the update installed the visuals got sooo.much.better. Everything had depth, warmth, and life to it unlike the 60FPS version.
Additionally it seemed like a very smooth and consistent 30FPS, so while not ideal, it's a very fair compromise.

So instead of patching the game to get past a freeze, then uninstall the game entirely, then disable internet and install again every single time there's a bug I stuck with the 30FPS mode and I have no regrets.
The game looks AMAZING and, in my opinion, the 60FPS mode is completely lifeless. Like, the better visuals, in my opinion, in 30FPS mode enhance the game and totally make it better.

Compare that to my recent TLOU:R play through on the PS5 where 30FPS mode is miserable and 60FPS all the way.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I somehow thought these games ran 60 on PS5 at first and then were patched. This sounds like all they need to do is revoke the patch, which they probably won't bother with.

This game has progression blocking bugs which require the patch to get through.

Also this game is better in 30FPS mode :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Sony should really update all these games.

1*_yLPwLk129MAHJnZjMHidw.jpeg

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
the fact that it runs at 60 fps without ANY work whatsoever indicates that its really not complex.

same is true for god of war. at the end of the day, PC games have worked like this for decades. if 30 fps was heavily integrated into the engine where multiple different places in the code that had to be changed, the game would simply not work and crash every time.

So why do you think Sony is just simply overlooking this super easy good will gesture here? It'll be the equivalent to having a $100 million ad campaign if they updated all their biggest\best games to be 60fps or 4K\60fps.

It sucks that older games that would easily run 60 fps on current gen don't get updates to do so.

Off topic but would you rather play disc version of Cyberpunk 2077 on Ps5 with 60fps unpatched or patched next gen update 30fps? I guess the latter.

Top Bottom