• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] The Outer Worlds Switch Review: Ambitious But Ultimately Not Good Enough

Saber

Gold Member
Can you stop being obnoxious? There's nothing wrong with liking a portable DOOM, Skyrim or Witcher 3. Don't use this bad port to excuse your terrible behavior.

You can like whatever the crap you want, never had the intention to hurt your feelings. Read again this is a tech and perfomance talk. The game isn't a very good port no matter how you like to play it. A bad behaviour is keeping port begging everytime and this is the result of not caring at all.

ShinNL

You can like whatever the crap you want, never had the intention to hurt your feelings. Read again this is a tech and perfomance talk. The game isn't a very good port no matter how you like to play it. A bad behaviour is keeping port begging everytime and this is the result of not caring at all.
No one asked for a bad port.

Big of you to tell others how to read. I didn't even type that many words and you still got it wrong. Stop using straw man arguments: no one asked for a shitty port nor will anyone defend a shitty port. Stop building your arguments based on this terrible hypothetical view you sketched.

And calling Switch users dumb for enjoying Switch ports (which there are plenty of excellent ones of) isn't meant to offend anyone? Don't be a lying hypocrite.

Saber

Gold Member
No one asked for a bad port.

Then Prove it. Prove to me that some biggies has only interest in making ports like this and that people has interest in well made ports . Because the only thing I hear of its port begging.

And calling Switch users dumb for enjoying Switch ports (which there are plenty of excellent ones of) isn't meant to offend anyone? Don't be a lying hypocrite.

Dude calm down lmao
I'm talking about bad ports. And in case you didn't notice I'm fine with people playing them if they enjoy. I even praised some which are actually good handled despite Switch limitations(Witcher 3 and Dragon Quest impressed me the most for inatance).

Picking fights just because you feel hurt won't get me. Cool off your head warrior and go provoke somebody else. Don't expect me to answer you any further.

Last edited:

ShinNL

Then Prove it. Prove to me that some biggies has only interest in making ports like this and that people has interest in well made ports . Because the only thing I hear of its port begging.
LE1CZZr.jpg

Romulus

And yet it still looks much better than what we got on PS360 back in the day, and it looks worlds better than what is presented in Outer Worlds.
Sure, its an older game engine, but Bethesda isnt known for optimizing thier games to run at their best potential even on PC, so it is surprising how well Skyrim looks and runs on Switch after all.
Witcher 3 looks also better on Switch than Outer Worlds, with more detail and objectives drawn at the same resolution.

Yes, the Switch is significantly weaker hardware than the current consoles, but its still more powerful than the old consoles. So the fault cant be alone on the hardware side, when seeing what miracles Nintendo can work on the device.
And yes, the Outer Worlds engine is newer and cant ported back as easily, but think the argument of “lazy devs“ can not be disputed completely here when it obvious that they have likely made the wrong decisions during ”optimization“, simply set all settings to low and ultimately delivered a broken game that should not be sold at 60 bucks.

I don't count the ps3 for multiplatform because its awful. And the X360 is old as hell, chipset was finalized in 2004. I would hope the Switch could outperform it in every area very conviningly, even as a hybrid with that amount of time, and it's just not insanely better version of Skyrim imo. The only version that is a big step up is modded pc version at 60fps+ that fixed those old textures.

The Witcher 3 is just looks god awful on Switch, just like the outer worlds. The outer worlds is just different though. For one, it's a different engine. Another, its a shooter so there's alot of physics calculations within the the engine while rendering that world. It's just impossible to compare both evenly based on details, when they're very different outside that.

Last edited:

Kamina

Golden Boy
I don't count the ps3 for multiplatform because its awful. And the X360 is old as hell, chipset was finalized in 2004. I would hope the Switch could outperform it in every area very conviningly, even as a hybrid with that amount of time, and it's just not insanely better version of Skyrim imo. The only version that is a big step up is modded pc version at 60fps+ that fixed those old textures.

The Witcher 3 is just looks god awful on Switch, just like the outer worlds. The outer worlds is just different though. For one, it's a different engine. Another, its a shooter so there's alot of physics calculations within the the engine while rendering that world. It's just impossible to compare both evenly based on details, when they're very different outside that.
And yet we have two games that look worlds appart.
The devs could have fixed that with some more work but decided to go the easy way.

Romulus

And yet we have two games that look worlds appart.
The devs could have fixed that with some more work but decided to go the easy way.

Of course, but there's no shooters on Switch the size of Outer World either. I doubt they can do much to fix it. This is the first time we get a glimpse of that. Even modern shooters like Doom 2016 being very linear and one of the best devs to handle ports struggled to get to 30fps, even with massive texture cutbacks and ultra low resolution. And that's after years of patches.

Last edited:

Romulus

Another potential problem I see on the short term is these SSD drives being used for console multiplatform games. The information we have is these new games are based around huge data streaming advantages over the PS4 generation. Switch can't even keep up now, how will it even come close to XSX/ps5 with environments being loaded from these fast SSD drives? How would a Switch Pro even keep up with that? SSD handheld? lol. Not to mention the even larger gulf in CPU and GPU power. I'm thinking even less games will even ports to Switch, the architecture has gone in a different direction.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
DF doing a switch review is an oxymoron. They clearly lean towards visuals over gameplay.
They constantly giggle and smirk every time they have to talk about the switch.

DonJorginho

Banned
The switch is going to be obsolete third party wise if they don't utilise ssd storage on the next Switch. They'll still be the king of first party titles though alongside Sony.

Reactions: MrS

Carna

Banned
DF doing a switch review is an oxymoron. They clearly lean towards visuals over gameplay.
is it a pissing contest to them, to put down the switch graphically?

JimboJones

It's not though, it's interesting just to see the sacrafices made to get it running on such underpowered hardware and it informs buyers if it's a step to far or it's actually is an ok experience in the end.

Maybe you should just play it on better hardware. I don’t see how u would play a multi platform game on weaker hardware. I have all 3 systems. All multi platform games get played on my one x. I just use the switch and pro for the exclusives on those systems

JimboJones

Maybe you should just play it on better hardware. I don’t see how u would play a multi platform game on weaker hardware. I have all 3 systems. All multi platform games get played on my one x. I just use the switch and pro for the exclusives on those systems
I dunno some people value the portable experience?
Why doesn't everyone buy 3090 equipped pc, that's better hardware?
People have different prioritys my dude, I have PC and PS4 but I still bought Spyro on switch just because it was more convenient for me.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

John named The Touryst one of his favorite games of the year last year.

I actually beat that game before I figured out why I was even playing. It’s just not a great game in the slightest. Mostly annoying, overrated due to the unique graphical style, and destined to be forgotten, much like the overhyped, under-delivering Hotshot Racing that got pretty much everything wrong, - handling, AI, track design.

BlackTron

The PC port of Horizon: Zero Dawn is awful! This is the first time there has been a bad port of anything, ever. This is proof that games should never be ported to PC again. Anyone hoping that their favorite console games will come to PC need to stop port-begging because they are clearly a waste of time.

Bullet Club

The Outer Worlds Switch Update 1.2 Release Notes

Features included in this update:
  • Implemented a half-resolution SSAO
  • Implemented Clouds in Skybox
  • Replace SSR with SphereReflectionCapture
  • Disabled subsurface profile shading
  • Added Depth of Field to Conversation Camera
Changes and Fixes included in this update:
  • Limited the max instance count for sounds to improve CPU performance
  • Adjusted the volume threshold for sounds to improve CPU performance
  • Packed textures to save memory
  • Optimized materials for the environment and terrain
  • Optimized and added more vegetation to the world
  • Added details to the world buildings
  • Used normal map textures instead of triangles for objects
  • Re-designed some buildings
  • Meshes rebuilt for improved visuals
  • Lightmap texture streaming rebuilt
  • Fixed character AI issues
  • Improved the streaming performance to fix the building dark issues players experienced and some texture blur issues

Last edited:
Top Bottom