• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF Valkyria Chronicles PS4 vs PS3 vs PC

Damn we couldn't just let console take the W?(if there's even anything to win)

If there's a thread, it's to discuss something. It's not about win, loss or anything. This isn't console war. This is a discussion and if you look at the whole thread, a discussion is happening and raised points that weren't in the analysis, notably the reflection question or the texture filtering method used.

If there's a thread, it's to discuss something. It's not about win, loss or anything. This isn't console war. This is a discussion and if you look at the whole thread, a discussion is happening and raised points that weren't in the analysis, notably the reflection question or the texture filtering method used.
It was more tongue in cheek really because of the last page.

Anyway they both look nice obviously more things were added because the ps4 version came alil later so its nice to know it wasn't a straight PC rip like most of us thought

It was more tongue in cheek really because of the last page.

Anyway they both look nice obviously more things were added because the ps4 version came alil later so its nice to know it wasn't a straight PC rip like most of us thought

Yup, it seems that they were developp by different teams. SEGA Japan for the PS4 port and SEGA Europe for PC port.

Wereroku

Assuming 1080p & the water reflection thing being a bug, you're right.

Honestly though, I could play this on PS3 and still be super happy. It's a very good (albeit flawed) game.
I'm wondering if the water reflecting being gone is more of a taste change. It didn't look great on pc so the head of the ps4 port might have just not liked it.

dracula_x

Yup, it seems that they were developp by different teams. SEGA Japan for the PS4 port and SEGA Europe for PC port.

I own all three versions. It doesn't surprise me that the PS4 version has a few tricks the PC version doesn't. The PC version was ported by an outsourced team in the UK, consisting of just 4 people (including one talented software engineer, and one very bad QA dude). The PS4 version was ported from Sega's internal programming team, so they had the luxury of their own in-house tools and knowledge.

That being said though I've watched the PS4 footage a lot and unless you are very much extremely in-tune with graphical changes you probably won't notice. The PC version still offers far superior options overall, not just graphically, but at the same time the PS4 version means more people get to play which is better.

Seeing that image on the right makes me want to play the PC version again haha

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Would imagine it is a like-for-like out of the box (bought on PSN vs bought on Steam) comparison DF are doing.

What % of PC Gamers would apply driver level fixes and mods?

Would only be the hardcore. Didn't the Steam survey say the majority are still running below 1080p?

That was my point yes, it was correct for DF to omitt Durante's mods and other things, if they were only going for an official comparison

Why not only consider autodetec or default config then ?
I have hard times to t understand why we have to avoid possible things because they are a lot of people who don't care when we speak of thread/article that surely are not written for people who not care ?
And for them why not consider the best each can offer ? it seems more logic.
When argument come down to uninterested people or comparison fairness or others unrelated restrictions and scoping the objective can't be to speak about tech each platform can bring into thoses games.
But if it makes you happy ps4 is the best version if x,y,z,...* is not considered in the
equation.

read previous post to find the list in the current situation.

It's generally a strange position to ignore reality due to the ignorance argument.

Here's the thing though.
Has DF ever made a comparison between consoles and PC with mods and driver tinkering before?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Here's the thing though.
Has DF ever made a comparison between consoles and PC with mods and driver tinkering before?
I know I have. If a game didn't have AF, for instance, I would certainly force it prior to snapping images. I like to push stock versions of games to look their best when possible even going so far as to downscale to 1080p in most comparisons.

I would not, however, use mods in a comparison and, in most cases, that's a non-issue since we're usually looking at new games that don't yet have mods created for them.

martino

Here's the thing though.

i was not talking about mods but options you can find in your gpu software suite.
And yes they did when they compare 4k -> 1080p DSR.
this is why not activate 16x is strange for example

PS4 has supercharged PC architecture so naturally it has more grass and better draw distance than a regular PC.

very true

i understand how pc people who spent 600 on a 980ti are disappointed it ultimately cant measure up to the power of the ps4 but facts are facts

I guess this is sarcasm? If not then I'm not gonna start because it will just devolve into a shitfest where someone will get banned

Lister

Banned
That was my point yes, it was correct for DF to omitt Durante's mods and other things, if they were only going for an official comparison

Driver level "fixes" is something most PC gamers know about. Since you can apply them by right clicking your desktop and choosing: Nvidia or AMD panel.

Most PC gamers aren't clueless about PC's.

And the out of context mention of the Steam hardware survey by some people on this thread to try and make some point, is the most defensive nonsense ever.

Yeah, most Steam users are running at under 1080p. though the chart doesn't show people with higher resolution secondary monitors, or streaming to their TV's, and Steam users who just happened to be running on their laptop at the moment the survey was taken aren't counted as higher resolution even though they might have had higher rez monitors.

More importantly, just taking the survey at face value, that puts 1080p+ at 40% of Steam users, OR over 64 MILLION PEOPLE. More people than there are PS4 + Xbox one users. This "argument" is beyond ridiculous. We might as well say: only the PS3 counts because most console gamers don't own a next gen console!

Brilliant line of reasoning there.

Perspective folks, I know it runs contrary to the story some of you want told here, but common.

Lister

Banned
Here's the thing though.

Driver tinkering, yes. They routineley (but sometimes off-handedly) mention that: "Of course on PC you can set AF as high as you want or down-sample for improved IQ".

Grief.exe

Driver level "fixes" is something most PC gamers know about. Since you can apply them by right clicking your desktop and choosing: Nvidia or AMD panel.

Most PC gamers aren't clueless about PC's.

And the out of context mention of the Steam hardware survey by some people on this thread to try and make some point, is the most defensive nonsense ever.

Yeah, most Steam users are running at under 1080p. though the chart doesn't show people with higher resolution secondary monitors, or streaming to their TV's, and Steam users who just happened to be running on their laptop at the moment the survey was taken aren't counted as higher resolution even though they might have had higher rez monitors.

More importantly, just taking the survey at face value, that puts 1080p+ at 40% of Steam users, OR over 64 MILLION PEOPLE. More people than there are PS4 + Xbox one users. This "argument" is beyond ridiculous. We might as well say: only the PS3 counts because most console gamers don't own a next gen console!

Brilliant line of reasoning there.

Perspective folks, I know it runs contrary to the story some of you want told here, but common.

Don't underestimate the ignorance of the majority.

I wouldn't even argue a plurality of PC users tinker with driver-level settings, likely a minority. We are just in an echo chamber around GAF where we are surrounded by extreme enthusiasts.

I just realized this is a super meta discussion that doesn't need to take part in this thread.

PS4 has supercharged PC architecture so naturally it has more grass and better draw distance than a regular PC.

very true

i understand how pc people who spent 600 on a 980ti are disappointed it ultimately cant measure up to the power of the ps4 but facts are facts

Mabh4.gif

Fury451

Banned
Is this a reference to a different game? Or just a sincere observation?

Without context, it could be read as someone upset that a different game didn't get a good port like this game did. But that doesn't seem to be the case. I was just curious.

There's been a lot of hack-job ports for PS4. Activision has been responsible for a couple with the Prototype series, but Saint's Row IV was a rush job too. There's been a couple others also, but I forget exactly which at the moment.

I think what was meant by that is that the effort really shows with this one, and it definitely does. I i'm very happy I triple dipped on it, it's definitely on the upper tier of ports, and it's great for anybody who didn't get to play it before.

petran79

Banned
I remember the Steam version had the 60 FPS interception fire glitch, making it more difficult than the PS3 version.
I finished the game that way. It was patched eventually, though I guess it can be brought back through mods. Have not bothered with the game again.

Is this absent from the PS4 version too?

what are you talking about? PS4 won XD

amen to that. triple dipped.

pc users will always get defensive like in this thread, but that is the nature of the thread. Graphics.

The only thing that would make the pc version better is being able to play it at higher resolutions otherwise there is nothing to talk about :p

Ah I see. you didn't read what I wrote which caused the confusing. Not what I said. don't worry it happens so I will let it slide :D

no need to be defensive :p

yet you wrote something different just a couple post above? get your facts together then come back :p. so defensive

Woah it is not that serious lad :3.

PS4 version had better results so ps4 won? am I not allowed to stat facts :D

You are putting so much effort into this..cute :3.

PS4 won the comparison, my post are in line with that. good try I guess?
edit:no need to get defensive about it lad. PS4 only users get a quality port.

I am not being defensive lol. I

Which user have I called out? cute

You have spent 2 pages attempting to "argue" with me over this. Let it go lad.

shit son then pc version all the way! unless you are super into trophies/physical cases.

edit: I like to use controller. but the controls are so simple I can't see how you would have a prob with Kb/m

lol don't get salty now.
edit:thank the lord for ignore button to much shitposting

it is not that serious though :p

I am not even discussing console wars? and just told someone to buy the pc version since it is better but ok good shitpost

dNSchoz.gif

"not that serious"
"Let it go lad"

I guess you just couldn't take your own advice and decided to embarrass yourself anyways.

Wasn't expecting the PS4 version to be even better than the PC version.
That's great news, seems to be the definitive version of the game.

Odorono

Banned
Wasn't expecting the PS4 version to be even better than the PC version.
That's great news, seems to be the definitive version of the game.

If the PC was a locked platform then yes the PS4 would be better, but as it's PC you can play at super high resolutions and downsample and force better AF than PS4 and the like.

If the PC was a locked platform then yes the PS4 would be better, but as it's PC you can play at super high resolutions and downsample and force better AF than PS4 and the like.

I wonder how many people have a PC capable of that. Should be a decent amount since it's an older game.
Could something like a 660 run it in 4k dowsampled?

I wonder how many people have a PC capable of that. Should be a decent amount since it's an older game.

It's funny because I remember using my 660 to play it at 4k downsampled. Can't remember if it hit 60fps, but it was definitely over 30. If I put it at 1440p I got 60 fps easily with it.

Tagyhag

Careful, you might be accused of not letting the PS4 have its moment.

I don't know about a 660, but my 680 ran it at 4k with lots of room to spare. If I recall correctly GPU usage was peaking somewhere between 50 and 60%.

EDIT: Just tested, 65% peak usage on a single 680 at 4k. I assume a 670 would be fine... not sure about a 660. Even 1620p would be a big improvement over 1080p though, and that wouldn't require nearly as much power. I bet even 5xx series cards could do it.

I know I have. If a game didn't have AF, for instance, I would certainly force it prior to snapping images. I like to push stock versions of games to look their best when possible even going so far as to downscale to 1080p in most comparisons.

I would not, however, use mods in a comparison and, in most cases, that's a non-issue since we're usually looking at new games that don't yet have mods created for them.

Driver tinkering, yes. They routineley (but sometimes off-handedly) mention that: "Of course on PC you can set AF as high as you want or down-sample for improved IQ".

Well, I stand corrected then.

PS4 uses higher levels of AF than the PC version. (what's AF?)
PS4 has better AA resulting in a slightly sharper image compared to the PC when both are running at 1080p. (The AA can't be disabled on PC, downscaling still improves image quality by a lot.) What's AA?
PS4 has slightly better LOD than the PC version. What's LOD?

Wow ...So happy I just actually bought it, and I also bought Resident evil 6, which I hear the ports are similar to the PC ports.I never expected this particular port to be better than the already awesome PC version.

petran79

Banned
I don't know about a 660, but my 680 ran it at 4k with lots of room to spare. If I recall correctly GPU usage was peaking somewhere between 50 and 60%.

EDIT: Just tested, 65% peak usage on a single 680 at 4k. I assume a 670 would be fine... not sure about a 660. Even 1620p would be a big improvement over 1080p though, and that wouldn't require nearly as much power. I bet even 5xx series cards could do it.

the 660 is surprisingly still going strong for most games. You know how GPU marketing goes. Anything over 6 months old is considered obsolete. Difference with new cards is mainly in the advanced graphic filters and enhancements, which need a good monitor and will hardly be noticed or may detract from gameplay. But regarding basic filters, older cards run fine

I havent played the game for over a year. I'll test it along with the mods to see how it runs on that card, now that I have more RAM and a better CPU

PS4 uses higher levels of AF than the PC version. (what's AF?)
PS4 has better AA resulting in a slightly sharper image compared to the PC when both are running at 1080p. (The AA can't be disabled on PC, downscaling still improves image quality by a lot.) What's AA?
PS4 has slightly better LOD than the PC version. What's LOD?

Wow ...So happy I just actually bought it, and I also bought Resident evil 6, which I hear the ports are similar to the PC ports.I never expected this particular port to be better than the already awesome PC version.
Anisotropic Filtering (textures)
Anti Aliasing (jagged edge smoothing)
Level of Detail (how much you can see at a distance)

petran79

Banned
Game runs fine downsampled on a GTX660 with Gedosato and high res models.
Tried the same with Guilty Gear Xrd but GPU cant handle it.

Top Bottom