• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Xbox Series X Silicon Breakdown: Hot Chips 2020 Analysis

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That's blatantly false chief.

@12:23 He literally calls it "A feature complete RDNA 2" before highlighting the Direct X12 capabilities.

watch it for another 30 seconds and you will see him say that its essentially the same as rdna 1.0 architecture with rt being an exception.

so RDNA 2.0 is basically rdna 1.0 with rt and 50% less power consumption. thats it.

none of this really matters though because MS has already told DF that gears 5 benchmark on the xsx matched the performance given by the 2080. which is only 11% more than the 5700xt. a 9.6 tflops gpu. so despite the 25% difference in tflops, you only get 11% more performance from gears 5. this pretty much confirms that you arent getting any IPC gains when going to rdna 2.0. just more features like vrs, rt and power efficiency.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Something that occurred to me while watching this, is the sheer amount of incredible engineering, top minds, and many hundreds of thousands of hours... to bring our simple play/relax time to life.

Granted, an industry will spring up around anything with cash to spare, of course, but it's just a bit... humbling?
Scientific method + capitalism = cool stuff.

Shmunter

I disagree. RT from consoles will be most surprising yet just like cb render was this gen.
People praise so much the Nvidia reconstruction tech, but the checkerboard ideia begin this current gen, at small feet, but still was a long way until we came with better solutions.

Now, if they talking about PC RT> Consoles RT now thats I agree. Kinda obvious in fact.
I agree. Despite whatever the hardware specs say, a closed system & a baseline all devs can rely on translates to evolving clever solutions maximising usage.

Even selective RT, that kicks in and kicks out based on current scene and angle of image etc. Tricks of precision; all will come together to give premium results at a lower penalty than has been exploited so far.

PC has only been an introduction with very limited application in titles because the baseline isn’t there, and the R&D has not been a focus from most devs. Consoles will change that.

Unfortunately must also acknowledge the elephant in the room of a potential 4TF next gen system hampering the above advancement if it sells in significant quantities. Lowering the baseline substantially will have effects through the generation.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
watch it for another 30 seconds and you will see him say that its essentially the same as rdna 1.0 architecture with rt being an exception.

so RDNA 2.0 is basically rdna 1.0 with rt and 50% less power consumption. thats it.

none of this really matters though because MS has already told DF that gears 5 benchmark on the xsx matched the performance given by the 2080. which is only 11% more than the 5700xt. a 9.6 tflops gpu. so despite the 25% difference in tflops, you only get 11% more performance from gears 5. this pretty much confirms that you arent getting any IPC gains when going to rdna 2.0. just more features like vrs, rt and power efficiency.
From what i remember the video said XSX was just a 2 week port with extra graphical features the the PC version doesn't have so it's not the most accurate yardstick but i suppose it's all we have at the moment.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
From what i remember the video said XSX was just a 2 week port with extra graphical features the the PC version doesn't have so it's not the most accurate yardstick but i suppose it's all we have at the moment.
Alex did say that it wasnt using vrs so they might eek out some more performance.

K

Kise Ryota

Unconfirmed Member
Well, Richard just said what I also said here, months ago, when I was arguing how the quick resume was a much better example of the series x capabilities in this area (loading) than using the loading times with the BC. But haters don't use logic or common sense.

I think the quick resume was a good demo to show the ssd read speeds. Basically it was ~6 seconds to save the current state (so writing speeds were also consistent) and then load the next state.

I believe that games were the one x enhanced version (which has 9GB available for games). They have possibly compressed and decompressed the state files (?), helping the raw speeds. I don't know.

With the quick resume feature there's no excuse because there's no need to games to be optimized for the ssd (and I think they showed they can delivery the speed they advertised). It was fast to write and read the different states and I think it was very consistent.

thelastword

Banned
Richard is adamant that the Series X audio is to the same level as PS5, but when looking at the diagram he says "I assume the audio block is in there somewhere" at the top part of the silicon shot.....He is making so many assumptions on Series X and justifying ML as the future, but Series X was never pitched on that, but rather as a console which would slay 4k native for breakfast. So many safe statements and backtracking I find.....

Outside of seeing PS4 games running on PS5 he assumes the loadtimes between them will be similar to Series X games under BC. How is he determining that outside of tangible BC games on PS5. We've already seen Spiderman and it's loadtimes are much more impressive than the BC games MS showed, so I don't understand how he is so quick to call this even outside of evidence or the evidence that suggests otherwise.....I'm thinking he is saying all that to suggest that the SSD speeds between the two will be negligible. So strange for tech channel to be so blatant in their analysis.....Of course I can see he got a Series X chip, just as he got a XBONEX chip in the past......Sometimes, I wish Sony would give NXgamer the opportunity to do the PS5 teardown on his channel, that would be a big boost for him and all his hard , thorough and bias free work...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Richard is adamant that the Series X audio is to the same level as PS5, but when looking at the diagram he says "I assume the audio block is in there somewhere" at the top part of the silicon shot.....He is making so many assumptions on Series X and justifying ML as the future, but Series X was never pitched on that, but rather as a console which would slay 4k native for breakfast. So many safe statements and backtracking I find.....

Outside of seeing PS4 games running on PS5 he assumes the loadtimes between them will be similar to Series X games under BC. How is he determining that outside of tangible BC games on PS5. We've already seen Spiderman and it's loadtimes are much more impressive than the BC games MS showed, so I don't understand how he is so quick to call this even outside of evidence or the evidence that suggests otherwise.....I'm thinking he is saying all that to suggest that the SSD speeds between the two will be negligible. So strange for tech channel to be so blatant in their analysis.....Of course I can see he got a Series X chip, just as he got a XBONEX chip in the past......Sometimes, I wish Sony would give NXgamer the opportunity to do the PS5 teardown on his channel, that would be a big boost for him and all his hard , thorough and bias free work...

Leadbetter's bias is obvious. Had this been Sony doing the first reveal he'd be "let's wait and see what MS has, because it might be better".

Jon Neu

Banned
Unfortunately must also acknowledge the elephant in the room of a potential 4TF next gen system hampering the above advancement if it sells in significant quantities. Lowering the baseline substantially will have effects through the generation.

That's a weird way of thinking. If the Series S sells well, it will only means more profit and therefore more capabilty to invest in games.

You previosuly talked about selective RT, but somehow believing that one console is going to run the games at a much lower resolution and with less effects it's impossible. The Series X version has to be hampered somehow.

Shmunter

That's a weird way of thinking. If the Series S sells well, it will only means more profit and therefore more capabilty to invest in games.

You previosuly talked about selective RT, but somehow believing that one console is going to run the games at a much lower resolution and with less effects it's impossible. The Series X version has to be hampered somehow.
You have too much faith in business doing extra work out of the goodness of their hearts. Some will. Most will build once and scale up in the most basic ways.

Jon Neu

Banned
You have too much faith in business doing extra work out of the goodness of their hearts. Some will. Most will build once and scale up in the most basic ways.

I just don't over exaggerate the level of work to make a quick cheap port to a console designed to be scalable in the first place.

It's also easier to just scale down. Lower resolution, take out some effects and you're pretty much done.

Shmunter

I just don't over exaggerate the level of work to make a quick cheap port to a console designed to be scalable in the first place.

It's also easier to just scale down. Lower resolution, take out some effects and you're pretty much done.
I wish it were true. Further compounded if the cheaper system sells in larger quantities than the premium one.

One positive is that Sony has a single target. Assuming PS5 sells well, the overall nextgen baseline will rise across the board, so we may see more often than not as you suggest.

Top Bottom