• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[DF] Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition - Switch vs Wii vs 3DS - The Digital Foundry Tech Review

Kataploom

Gold Member
This is just a matter of both XB2 and this being made by really small teams. Most of their work force has been working, when not on Zelda, on their new game.

Remember that, after all, Monolith Soft is not a AAA game studio even if the quality of their games suggests otherwise. Their resources is pretty limited and shared with Nintendo EPD teams.

As I'm ok with 720p games I'll get them both btw, since i already got a Switch.

Last edited:
Dynamic resolution for the Switch version. 378p is the lower resolution for the worst scenario, thats not mean he stay at 378p most of the time.

That's right. According to YouTuber Jay RPG the game doesn't go nowhere a resolution that low. He also says it looks and runs much better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Torna. All the this focus on the resolution is blown out of proportion.

Fake

That's right. According to YouTuber Jay RPG the game doesn't go nowhere a resolution that low. He also says it looks and runs much better than Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Torna. All the this focus on the resolution is blown out of proportion.

Yeap, maybe when the screen is full of alpha effects or other gpu taxing, the resolution drop to there, but the game don't stay in that resolution for much time.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

Looks good enough to me, but I thought the game really already looked great at higher resolutions without the updated models. The frame rate looks like a very stable 30, only hitching for a second during a dynamic resolution change. I've seen reports that overclocking the Switch virtually eliminates the dynamic resolution, allowing the game to run at a full 720p docked at all times. Hopefully we'll see that in a Switch Pro.

Last edited:
Nope. Even an aggressively overclocked switch can't handle this game at 720p in docked mode. This game is apparently more demanding than Witcher 3. I will let you decide if that's true.

recma12

My copy shipped super early from Amazon, so I've been playing for 2 days (handheld and on a 65 inch screen).
Never played the original, but played XB2.

Yes, the game looks crappy compared to other Switch titles, like Luigis Mansion 3 or Mario Odyssey
But IMO it looks about the same as XB2, just a little less colorful.
From what I've seen so far (5h in), the game runs smoothly and the resolution doesn't get in the way.

Well, if you are looking for pretty graphics, playing a port of a 10 yr old Wii game on Switch isn't a good idea anyways.

I'm not an expert on this stuff, but I guess the massive maps (they are almost comically big) in these monolith soft games are causing the issues on Switch. Is that correct D dark10x ?

Doczu

Wow looks like their Xenoblade 2 engine is just a piece of hot garbage.
I don't expect 1080/60, but holy shit 378p undocked?
No, seriously guys. There is a lot that can be forgiven, but people are too forgiving of this shit.

Doczu

My previous post may have been a hot take on the subject, but seriously this is going the wrong direction.
Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U could have been 720/30 with a major graphical upgrade from the Wii game, with the same (if not bigger) open spaces. On the Wii U, which wasn't a powerhouse to begin with.
So what went wrong? Why couldn't they start with a stable resolution and then move forward with adding shit?

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It was fairly obvious that it was basically the original with new character heads/hands and some new textures here and there, plus the overall resolution boost, some effects, shadows, etc. Pretty great results for a pretty great and still pretty game that's both too niche and too massive for anyone to believe a full remake was ever on the cards. People initially impressed just didn't know how beautiful it already was on the Wii I guess. Everyone complained about the faces back then though so it's great to see them vastly upgraded, I don't know what's up with calling that change subjective 🤷‍♂️
That wii u version emulated 4k/60fps just looks amazing.
There's no Wii U version, lol. That's the same old beautiful Wii game! I've not tried the 60fps patch though, have they fixed all the thiching and stuff when loading objects in view and what not? That was more annoying than playing it at its normal 30fps.

I wonder if people can back port all the new textures and models from this for use with Dolphin (that would still mean it lacks normals, new effects and shadows but I guess the resolution boost would be the trade) or if they have different skeletons and stuff that make it too much work to bother.

Last edited:

Daymos

378p 27fps! It seems to me there's two types of people here:
1. Those who grab the numbers and rant negatively
2. Those who ignore the numbers and DEFEND aggressively

Personally I'm impressed that we have games that scale in realtime, this is really cool technology. I suppose the future is 4k down to 1440p. I'm also very happy to have one of my top 10 rpgs playable in another form. The 3ds version is really bad but I actually prefer it to Wii since it's portable.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
378p is bellow Dreamcast resolution. Let that sink in.

Regardless of graphical effects, that's just pathetic.

I can see games like Doom turning into blurry shit on Switch, because Doom is a high-end game with a modern engine. This is ultimately a Wii game with some enhancements here and there. I get people saying, "well I love the game and it's no big deal" but I don't see how this can be defended in general, in a technical thread. There's nothing in this game that says, yea it makes sense it runs at a lower res than the original game on the Wii.

My previous post may have been a hot take on the subject, but seriously this is going the wrong direction.
Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U could have been 720/30 with a major graphical upgrade from the Wii game, with the same (if not bigger) open spaces. On the Wii U, which wasn't a powerhouse to begin with.
So what went wrong? Why couldn't they start with a stable resolution and then move forward with adding shit?

Ah yes, Xenoblade Chronicles X on the Wii U, the game that needed 11 additional gigs worth of update data via the store because of all the pop in and texture issues and load times to fix it's issues with running on the Wii U. How quickly people forget.

oagboghi2

The UI is beautiful. I actually think the game looks good for the weak Switch hardware - considering the large environments and draw distance, it looks a lot better than Breath of the Wild, especially the texture quality which was terrible in BotW.
No, it really doesnt

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I’ll probably pick this up because I never got very far on the Wii version but lol at the performance numbers. I know it’s not a 1:1 comparison with the enhancements but the Wii was basically GameCube hardware which is almost 20 years old. It’s hilarious this isn’t running at full res and 60FPS when Wii U have been ported and perform better at higher resolutions.

Top Bottom