• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 1 on OSX 10.5?

Yeah uh, just got Diablo 1 at a yard sale for a buck...got it home...apperantly Blizzard never updated it for OSX and it needs the classic MAC OS environment to run...is there an emulator or hack I can use to get this working?

Thanks,
Nathan

permutated said:
Yeah uh, just got Diablo 1 at a yard sale for a buck...got it home...apperantly Blizzard never updated it for OSX and it needs the classic MAC OS environment to run...is there an emulator or hack I can use to get this working?

Thanks,
Nathan
Get a real PC.

The IBM 486. =D

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Theoretically, Basilisk should work. But good luck... the process of setting it up is incredibly arcane and I've never been able to get it to work. I ended up just buying a cheap PowerBook G4 to use as an OS9/10.2 mule.

http://basilisk.cebix.net/

Demigod Mac said:
MacOS 9 via Sheepshaver or Windows / Boot Camp would probably work.

A) Tried Sheepshaver, can't seem to get it to work, do I have to work through terminal to load?

B) I ordered a copy of XP SP2 from Dell (a replacement) over 2 months ago...wtf are they doing? :(

PS - Does the game work on XP SP3?

Sadly, Diablo II won't work either. Ever since the 10.5.3 update, Apple and NVIDIA took out 256-color support from the 8600 and 8800 series video cards. This is needed for Diablo II and Starcraft. I wanted to get back into Starcraft, but it won't run on my MacBook Pro now. Blizzard is aware of the situation is is looking into something, but who knows if and when it happens. I might have to build a gaming PC sooner than I thought...

drunk pandas said:
Sadly, Diablo II won't work either. Ever since the 10.5.3 update, Apple and NVIDIA took out 256-color support from the 8600 and 8800 series video cards. This is needed for Diablo II and Starcraft. I wanted to get back into Starcraft, but it won't run on my MacBook Pro now. Blizzard is aware of the situation is is looking into something, but who knows if and when it happens. I might have to build a gaming PC sooner than I thought...

That's really really really fucked up.

drunk pandas said:

There actually appears to be a way to do this. Some nice guy over at the battlenet forums put together an installer that will revert the graphical drivers to 10.5.2

http://www.karlkfi.com/archives/2008/07/mac-os-10531054-nvidia-256-colors.html

I haven't actually tested it yet, as I need to download the game again for OS X but people are reporting that it works.

BudokaiMR2 said:
There actually appears to be a way to do this. Some nice guy over at the battlenet forums put together an installer that will revert the graphical drivers to 10.5.2

http://www.karlkfi.com/archives/2008/07/mac-os-10531054-nvidia-256-colors.html

I haven't actually tested it yet, as I need to download the game again for OS X but people are reporting that it works.

I saw that. I'm hesitant to roll back the drivers though, as I've heard it causes issues with a a couple other games and Expose. Can't remember where I read that. History got cleared out the other day, so I can't even go back and check.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
permutated said:

Thanks,
Nathan

I was just thinking about Diablo 1 on Leopard myself... nice timing.

GDJustin

Sorry for the crazy bump... but I've been playing Sacred 2 and it's gotten me this close to pulling the trigger on the Diablo Battle Chest (never played a Diablo game before).

I have a Intel Macbook Pro running 10.5.7.

So... did Blizz ever fix this? I'm hoping they did, since their legacy support is so good...

wsippel

Banned
GDJustin said:
Sorry for the crazy bump... but I've been playing Sacred 2 and it's gotten me this close to pulling the trigger on the Diablo Battle Chest (never played a Diablo game before).

I have a Intel Macbook Pro running 10.5.7.

So... did Blizz ever fix this? I'm hoping they did, since their legacy support is so good...
Diablo II works as far as I know (it did work on 10.5.6), Diablo I still doesn't.

GDJustin

wsippel said:
Diablo II works as far as I know (it did work on 10.5.6), Diablo I still doesn't.

Diablo 1 would probably run fine emulated, though. I have Paralells. I was mainly hoping I could run it native without having to muck around with Windows.

Obviously much PC performance is lost because it's an emulated environment, but I have to believe it could handle Diablo 1 :lol

Crazy that I'm considering spending $35 on such old, old titles...

Edit: TYVM for the response, though.

On the subject of Diablo, for all you bargain hunters out there, pick up Diablo 2 + Lord of Destruction for $7.79 from here and enter the code on Blizzards store for unlimited downloads of both the PC and Mac version:

http://www.g2play.net/store/Diablo-II/

I've bought a few things from that site and its always worked perfectly for me, quite a bargain, I reckon considering it costs $40 for the two games direct from Blizzard.

Top Bottom