• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 1 or Final Fantasy VII for the better rpg?

Diablo or Final Fantasy VII?

• Diablo

Votes: 47 25.0%
  • Final Fantasy VII

Votes: 141 75.0%

• Total voters

DavidGzz

Not even close. D1. It was a way of life when I discovered it. I bought my first computer because of it. And I loved FF7.

Last edited:

Zug

It's more like Baldur's Gate or Fallout VS FF7.
There is nothing comparable between hack n slashes and jrpgs. It's like Grand tourismo to Sonic.
At least crpg and jrpgs share a few rpg mechanics.

Faithless83

Banned
I think it was just the timing of its release and things happening in my life. Everyone who loved D2 was playing it online whereas I had primarily played D1 solo or I played it multiplayer on console.
I get it, but back then it was hyped to hell and back. We almost couldn't believe we had the game once it was released.
Even though we were mostly console gamers, everytime people talked about something PC related someone asked "Diablo 2 when?"
I played all 3 games a lot and D3 grew on me over time, but I'll always have a soft spot for D2.

D1 was good, but D2 was amazing.

Last edited:

anthraticus

Banned
Diablo 1. Best game in the series by far, with the best atmosphere, music, artstyle, gore...

Plus give me a rogue like over mmo lites (what the series became) any day.

As far as FF goes, I never got into those cutsie JRPGs, as they don't appeal to me aesthetically and there's not enough gameplay/interesting RPG mechanics & systems for me to consider trying to overlook that.

Mokus

Not sure from where is this Diablo or FF VII. Back than, on the forums the fight was between Diablo vs Fallout, or later Diablo 2 vs Baldur's Gate 2. Basically ARPG vs. CRPG.

Brofist

If I was playing through each game once then FFVII no doubt. If you asked me which I'd want to play endlessly Diablo no doubt.

Bragr

Banned
Final Fantasy got the same die-hard fanbase as From Software games and is in turn overhyped quite a bit. FFVII has not aged well, and the story is not exactly great. It still plays okay, but it's mostly for nostalgia purposes you would enjoy it now. Diablo has also aged quite poorly because of how novel the game was at the time, Diablo II especially pushed that genre ahead to the point where most action RPGs that come it before struggle to hold up in the modern-day.

That said, Diablo has an atmosphere and feel to it that is rare and special, and out of anything to take of any of these 2 games, that's what sticks.

Pilgrimzero

On one hand D1 is basically AD&D 1st Ed. See dungeon and conquer it.

On the hand FF7 has actual RPing/extensive story line in it more akin to later D&D.

so really it’s pick your style as they are 2 different flavors

MastaKiiLA

FF7 was so much more memorable than Diablo. Both were great games, but I dumped tons of hours into FF7.

FF7 definitely had the better story and characters. I think it probably also gets the nod for gameplay, as it introduced the materia system, which was innovative at the time.

Diablo was a great game to pick up and play in spurts. Grinding for skill books was also good fun. However, it became a bit too easy if you were a mage and maxxed out chain lightning. You would wipe out huge mobs so easily. Then fireball anything that was left.

I don't know if the games are similar enough for a versus though. One is turn-based, and the other is an action RPG.

SpiceRacz

FF7 was a more ambitious game with issues. Whereas Diablo was basically flawless. People often forget that there were several other great, some would argue better, console RPGs at the same time as FF7 that were overlooked.

Last edited:

GeorgPrime

Banned
The only memorable thing about Diablo is the moment you step into the room of the butcher.

But i can remember a lot of stuff about FF 7

Top Bottom