• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 2 Resurrected (Remaster) coming late 2020

Google translated some parts (french website)

information from sources who obviously preferred to remain anonymous.

While the Activision branch reassured investors this morning, we have just learned, from sources close to the studio, that several projects are in preparation at Blizzard. Among these, there is a certain remaster of Diablo 2, where our indiscretions allowed us to know a little more, including its name and its release period.

Among the many projects to come, we would therefore have a remastered edition of the second episode of the hack’n’slash series which would take the name of Diablo 2 Resurrected. The release is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2020, although the date may be slightly delayed due to the current situation.

It was the desire to introduce the series to the approach of Diablo 4 that would have prompted the Californian company to offer a remastered edition. According to our sources, the Vicarious Visions studio would support Blizzard for this Diablo 2 Resurrected, a project he has been working on since the release of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy. Remember that Vicarious also worked on the port of Destiny 2.

No visibility however on the announcement of this remaster. Although the exit is well fixed before the fourth installment and discussed for the moment in the last quarter of 2020, it is difficult to know when the officialization will take place. Perhaps in the coming months as part of the Summer Game Fest, unless Blizzard waits for its annual BlizzCon, scheduled for early November, to announce a surprise date. It will likely depend on the progress of the project.

Full article here, there is also some mobile games coming from blizzard

Saber

Gold Member
I want nothing to do with them after their trash take with Warcraft.

No thank you, I'm fine with my Diablo 2(playing and its working fine). You can all go fuck yourselves.

I've been craving some ARPG looter action during my lockdown. I wasn't going to play D3 for the 12th time, so I fired up Titan Quest for the first time in over a decade. Made it about halfway through before I hit a bug that blocked forward progression, tried a few fixes and no dice.
Picked up Van Helsing 3 for cheap, and that's been scratching the itch good enough. It's pretty good for a budget title, and I enjoyed the first two well enough.

A 4k Diablo 2 would be something to behold. I didn't try the Warcraft 3 remaster, but I've seen the horror stories. Hopefully Blizz puts a little more effort into this release.

I've been craving some ARPG looter action during my lockdown. I wasn't going to play D3 for the 12th time, so I fired up Titan Quest for the first time in over a decade. Made it about halfway through before I hit a bug that blocked forward progression, tried a few fixes and no dice.
Picked up Van Helsing 3 for cheap, and that's been scratching the itch good enough. It's pretty good for a budget title, and I enjoyed the first two well enough.

A 4k Diablo 2 would be something to behold. I didn't try the Warcraft 3 remaster, but I've seen the horror stories. Hopefully Blizz puts a little more effort into this release.

You play Grim Dawn or Wolcen?

D.Final

Banned
Google translated some parts (french website)

information from sources who obviously preferred to remain anonymous.

While the Activision branch reassured investors this morning, we have just learned, from sources close to the studio, that several projects are in preparation at Blizzard. Among these, there is a certain remaster of Diablo 2, where our indiscretions allowed us to know a little more, including its name and its release period.

Among the many projects to come, we would therefore have a remastered edition of the second episode of the hack’n’slash series which would take the name of Diablo 2 Resurrected. The release is scheduled for the fourth quarter of 2020, although the date may be slightly delayed due to the current situation.

It was the desire to introduce the series to the approach of Diablo 4 that would have prompted the Californian company to offer a remastered edition. According to our sources, the Vicarious Visions studio would support Blizzard for this Diablo 2 Resurrected, a project he has been working on since the release of the Crash Bandicoot trilogy. Remember that Vicarious also worked on the port of Destiny 2.

No visibility however on the announcement of this remaster. Although the exit is well fixed before the fourth installment and discussed for the moment in the last quarter of 2020, it is difficult to know when the officialization will take place. Perhaps in the coming months as part of the Summer Game Fest, unless Blizzard waits for its annual BlizzCon, scheduled for early November, to announce a surprise date. It will likely depend on the progress of the project.

Full article here, there is also some mobile games coming from blizzard

Waaaaaaahat!?

martino

it's hard to have faith for d4 when lately when 2020 blizzard is all about lootbox , multiiplayer , remaster and mobile games

eot

Banned
If they do this I hope they either have some kind of toggle for which version you want to play (the later patches changed the itemization quite dramatically) or come up with something new. The high end runewords they introduced were kinda OP, which would've been fine since they were basically impossible to get, but because duping was so prevalent they because quite attainable. On top of that they actually rebalanced the game a bit to account for that, so now Act 5 is full of shit like undead archers you can't leech off of, Oblivion Knights etc.

1.09 is my favourite patch personally, give me that piercing guided arrow lol

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I'm down for this, but would it be too much to ask for a console release with offline local co-op? My son and I have a blast playing Diablo 3 together on PS4.

Moogle11

Banned
I'd be done for it, I loved Diablo 1 back in the day in college and had a blast with Diablo 3 on PS4 with a buddy. Never got around to Diablo 2 as I didn't have a PC that could run it when it was big and never got motivated to go back and play it.

I have! Though Grim Dawn has had a billion content updates since I last played it. I was kinda waiting in an all inclusive console release, which I though was coming but never appeared.

It's still coming. They actually had a post on the Grim Dawn Facebook recently that it's moving through Xbox certification (for real) this time:
MxY0Ydy.png

Valonquar

Only if it includes an install option where it knows you're only going to replay the 1st chapter and uninstall again.

Belmonte

I finished Diablo 2 some months ago and think its art is great, even with the small resolution. If I were you guys, I would just reinstall.

In fact, IMO, the small resolution gives a lot of charm. Makes everything looks more raw and brutish, less clean, like it should.

Antwix

Meh, why bother when there's so many good mods out there already for D2 like medianxl, plugy, path of diablo, graphics mods, etc. Blizzard would just fuck it up anyway.

I think they may have lost the plot or all their staff who actually make decent games.

WarCraft was a shit show and I feel like they are in the dog house with Activation.

Antwix

I’m gonna have to check these mods out. How much an of upgrade is the graphics mod?
I'll be honest, I'm not sure how much stuff is out there nowadays. I used to get my stuff from moddb. The graphics mod I tried was called MultiRes and it was just a resolution mod. Check it out here:

It was actually pretty sweet but I noticed that you would be able to see the monsters before they "saw" you. So you could just pick them off without them fighting back. Kind of lame but I'm not sure if there was ever a fix for it. There's tons of stuff out there though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
*sideways glance toward Warcraft III Reforged*

Awshitherewegoagain.jpg

Yeah, this kind of announcement normally would have gotten me excited, but the Warcraft III shitshow basically killed my faith in Blizzard (after it being severely shaken with their Diablo mobile announcement and the Hearthstone player incident).

Lanrutcon

So...I dunno. Fixing the resolution for modern systems? Totally doable, as it's been done by mods already.

But the FPS? That shit is built into the foundation of the game. I don't think they'll do the amount of dev required to get the game to 60 fps. The game's internals function at 25 fps.

If this leak is true, I doubt we'll get something that isn't slapdash.

Last edited:
Random question:

Is Diablo 3 still petty populated? If I tried to get back into it would I be playing mostly alone all the time?

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
If I was still playing Diablo 2, I would be actively against this considering Blizzard took way the perfectly good and working version of WC3 and replaced it with a shit sandwich.

Bolivar687

Banned
Tried looking up the Starcraft remaster for reference on Twitch but it looks like everyone just plays the original?

Top Bottom