• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 expansion announced - Reaper of Souls (New class, new act, darker)

Staab

Diablo 3 expansion set : Reaper of Souls
Release : 2014
Platforms : PC / Mac (announced so far)

New hero: The Crusader, meele character with shield and swords / hammers / flails (i.e. Paladin).
One new Act: Supposedly much more of a "dark feel"
New level cap (70): new skills and runes.
Loot runs: Entirely randomized dungeons that take 15-20minutes to complete (for endgame).
Nephalem Trials: Currently unknown.
Expanded paragon system: Paragon levels are now account wide (applies to all characters), no more cap.
Loot 2.0: Modified loot-system, multi-level legendaries and a new system called "smart drops", loot will drop less but the drops will be better and more meaningful for you.
Transmogrification: Change the look of your stuff but keep the stats (see WoW).
The Mystic: Artisan that allows you to re-attribute the stats of your items (think reforging).

"Malthael, the fallen Archangel of Wisdom, vanished after the events depicted at the end of Diablo II: Lord of Destruction®. In Reaper of Souls, he returns as the Angel of Death and seizes the Black Soulstone, which contains the essence of the Prime Evil. It now falls to the players to track down Malthael and stop him before he unleashes irreversible havoc on the world.
The story of Diablo III will take players from the legendary city of Westmarch to the unhallowed halls of the Pandemonium Fortress in Act V."

Random tidbits (mostly quoted from Eurogamer's live blogging) :
Playable on the floor at Gamescom.
Base game changes will be included in a "2.0 patch" for all Diablo 3 players.
Comparing original D3 and the expansion :
- in Act 3 you'd find 256 common, 399 blue, 275 yellow and one legendary.
- In Reaper of Souls, it could be 73 white items, 266 blues, 83 yellow items and 6 legendaries (they will be "build changers", example with wizard weapon: summon more hydras)

Gameplay trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGp5dkJdi0w

Cinematic trailer :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb7QJwQ58T0

Official screens :
Nm6bDND.jpg
EL5wc7c.jpg

hv6vDiN.jpg

6uCyt1G.jpg

section-crusader.jpg

section-product-info.jpg

Stolen pictures :

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy tits if true

PALADIIIIIIIIIIIN

HENSOBSNWVJSBWKLFKFL

Nymerio

There's more to this expansion, right? One new class and one new act seems really meager. Maybe they're holding stuff back for BlizzCon?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-08-21-live-blizzard-gamescom-conference

some info so far

And they're rethinking the end-game, providing players with as many options. One's loot runs, another's an update to the Paragon system.And a whole new act is in as well. new hero, the Crusader. That's who we saw in the cinematic.

Westmarch is the setting, and it takes influence from Gothic western locations. It's more medieval. New monsters are getting involved too. The Seraph, a chubby demon is first. Summoner of the Dead's more wirty, and the Executioner's a hulking beast. Death Maiden, who looks quite stylish really, is last.

They're a mid-range melee character. He's linked to Diablo 2's Paladins. The Crusader's taking the limelight - wielding shield and long sword, he's a heroic looking chap.

This is playable on the show floor.

ive gotta go work feel free for someone else to post more

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Yoshichan

Mosqueira is back on stage to talk about Loot 2.0.

hdPskm9.png

HYPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Loot drops less, but the drops are better and more meaningful.
:D :D :D

elfinke

Paladin's are nearly always terrible, wussy classes so that's a shame
lol

Still, I'm in for the new content and anything else they throw together, if it is priced right here in Australia.

Moff

New hero announced : The Crusader, meele character with sword and shield / flails (Paladin).
One new Act, new level cap (70).
More endgame stuff: some kind of "loot run thing" and expanded paragon system.
Supposedly much more of a "dark feel", since story wise it's the Angel of Death messing things up :
Story takes place in Westmarch and it takes influence from western Gothic locations, more of a medieval setting.

Stolen pictures :

all of this sounds very very good, especially the bottom two ones. I'd love a dark and cruel setting, like in Diablo 1.
but I'll buy anway, day one.

Yoshichan

You'll get Smart Drops - every time one drops, there's a chance its stats are tweaked to suit the character you're playing.
Uh-oh, sounds quite scary! Let's hope it's balanced!

homulilly

Banned
As long as Chris Metzen is around I have no faith in Blizzard's ability to churn out anything but weird overly grim versions of 80s saturday morning cartoons.

Yoshichan

Comparing original D3 and the expansion - in Act 3 you'd find 256 common, 399 blue, 275 yellow and one legendary.

In Reaper of Souls, it could be 73 white items, 266 blues and 83 yellow items - but there's more chance they'll be smart drops.

And it'll throw 6 legendary items your way, and this time they'll be build changers.

elfinke

Some of the stuff coming through the Eurogamer blog sounds good. Smart drops, items drop rates being rebalanced and so on.

Good stuff.

Prezhulio

I mean these sound like constructive additions/changes. I haven't really dug much of the post-release content they've put together, but I still liked it enough to put 100+ hours in.

duckroll

Comparing original D3 and the expansion - in Act 3 you'd find 256 common, 399 blue, 275 yellow and one legendary. In Reaper of Souls, it could be 73 white items, 266 blues and 83 yellow items - but there's more chance they'll be smart drops. And it'll throw 6 legendary items your way, and this time they'll be build changers.

Interesting. Less drops, supposedly more value, and build variations for legendaries instead of just "better". I wonder if Blizzard can actually pull it off though. :p

Yoshichan

LESS LOOT, MORE FUCKING AWESOME. I LOVE THE SOUND OF THIS.

AND PALADIN ON TOP OF EVERYTHING.

HA; HA; HA! HA; HA; HA! THE SOUND OF HAMMERS!!!!!!!!

Comparing original D3 and the expansion - in Act 3 you'd find 256 common, 399 blue, 275 yellow and one legendary.

In Reaper of Souls, it could be 73 white items, 266 blues and 83 yellow items - but there's more chance they'll be smart drops.

And it'll throw 6 legendary items your way, and this time they'll be build changers.
Why even have white and blues? These always end up in the trash anyway, and that's if you even pick them up.

Yoshichan

A new artisan in Reaper of Souls can transmogrify your items - so you don't have to sacrifice your look for more power.
And there's enchanting, allowing you to reroll an affix in a rare of legendary item.
And the endgame's being rethought completely. Something for everyone once you're done with the story.

KKRT00

Not Amazon? Pff i dont care.

Waiting for all changes stuff, currently nothing amazing has been announced.

----
Account bound? lol

Top Bottom