• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 UEE shipping w/ patch 2.05, Blizzard unsure if they will ever patch it again

Santar

Blizzard have now stated that Diablo 3 Reaper of Souls Ultimate Evil Edition will ship with patch version 2.05. A day 1 patch to get the game up to version 2.06 is also likely.
So that was the good news.

The bad news is that Blizzard is unsure about how much support Ultimate Evil Edition will get in he future. Right now they are deciding if they will just patch out critical bugs or if it will actually get the new content and additions the pc version will get down the line.
Apparently they will announce patching plans before release.

I really hope they decide to support Ultimate Evil Edition properly!

Source Blizzard forums

We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now. That said, I can confirm that UEE will ship on all platforms with all updates included up to patch 2.0.5, and that there will likely be a “Day 1” patch to add in patch 2.0.6 content, too.

As we move closer to ship and finalize our post-launch patching plans, we’ll be sure to keep you updated. Great question, though!

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
We're still working out all the details regarding if and how Ultimate Evil Edition will be supported post-launch (e.g. will we patch the game after it ships? if yes, should we only patch to fix bugs and address critical game issues, or should we patch in new content as well? at what frequency should we patch?), so we don’t have an answer for you right now. That said, I can confirm that UEE will ship on all platforms with all updates included up to patch 2.0.5, and that there will likely be a “Day 1” patch to add in patch 2.0.6 content, too.

Wow, they are still working out if they are going to support it post-launch?

Nokterian

PC will have Ladders and Seasons in the coming patch 2.1 but this is totally new game for console players it will keep you busy for hours thanks to nephalem rifts and adventure mode.

SirNinja

I'd be very surprised if the console versions didn't at least get patch 2.1. Seasons and Greater Rifts would extend the life of the game a great deal.

Kelsey

Banned
Atleast they're being honest, but why even buy this game on a console?

It plays better with a controller and on PS4 it's guaranteed to run at 1080p 60FPS, something my Mac can't match. And also there's the rifts filled with clickers and other mobs from Last of Us.

Mupod

sounds to me like a similar situation to TF2 on xbox 360. Maybe they just don't want to commit to free updates if it's something they can't reasonably do.

I'm not at all interested in ladders and seasons, so if they never add that to the console version I won't bat an eye.

That said, not supporting the game post launch with at least bug fixes and balancing would be a bummer.

I thought consoles were moving towards PC?

Only for the downsides of pc not for any of the advantages (mods, pricing, openness of the platform, controls, BC etc)
PSN/XBL are still a walled garden, blizzard probably can't update the game whenever they went, they probably don't get full control over the game client like they would on PC

World of tanks, TF2, cs source, l4d etc didn't get any real post launch updates either, why would this be different.

Mrbob

I'm not at all interested in ladders and seasons, so if they never add that to the console version I won't bat an eye.

That said, not supporting the game post launch with at least bug fixes and balancing would be a bummer.

The Greater Rifts and Treasure Rifts looks cool, so at the very least they should bring this 2.1 update aspect over to consoles.

hawk2025

It's a complete game in and of itself. Post launch support with free significant updates and balance changes is mostly a PC thing.

It's really, really not.

The largest games in the industry have tons and tons of significant updates and balance changes.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
I wonder why they decided to say this up front. Usually companies would wait for the preorders to be fulfilled, week 1 sales, etc, then say something about "unforseen difficulties".

Eusis

Sounds like a case where platform holder policies may be in the way... Question is whose, and how severe?

I do feel like this may be the new reason for going platform exclusive though: when dealing with one of them gets in the way of how the game should be in regards to future support. But maybe other political nonsense gets in the way even after eliminating the angle of fewer sales (though by how much?)

It's a complete game in and of itself. Post launch support with free significant updates and balance changes is mostly a PC thing.

It is if the majority of console gamers continues to take on that attitude.

There's really no reason to buy the console version unless your PC is a toaster.

RonanN1

Banned
Haha, take that! :D

I always knew that the console version is inferior. Don't get me wrong :) I'm a console player but the games that ment to be on the PC, I play them on PC.

Kelsey

Banned
Ugh, I read the title of the thread incorrectly. Didn't notice the "...unsure if they will ever patch it again" part. That's certainly a boner killer that may keep me from buying it at full price. And with Destiny a couple weeks away from Diablo's release date as well as Minecraft coming out at around the same time, I don't think I'll miss it much at all.

Eusis

There's really no reason to buy the console version unless your PC is a toaster.
Yeah, we have the infrastructure now to do this, and would have probably seen more of it last gen if Microsoft didn't play it safe with the HDD-less version and weren't tyrants about how DLC may be handled. It sounds like they may be easing off there, but if they aren't or are being slow with it losing games over that would certainly speed things up!

Hatchtag

Banned
Anddddd with that, it has gone from "day one" to "whenever I feel like couch co-op and it's cheap." If it's not going to at least try to be updated as much as the pc version, it just isn't worth as much to me.

Garbage.
Plenty of people have no interest in PC gaming, and instead will enjoy elsewhere.

And this really sounds like a decision based on coming balance changes vs update speed.

Ajax35

Banned
That sure makes my decision of whether to buy this at full price a lot easier. Might as well wait for it to hit the bargain bin.

Top Bottom