• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 4 Quarterly Update (Large Pics)

Jooxed

Gold Member

Didn't See a thread.. This came out earlier...

Supporting controllers on PC
This is the first time a Diablo game is being developed simultaneously for both PC and consoles, but the decision to support controller input on PC is what caused the greater paradigm shift for us. We wanted to give players the ability to switch between the two options freely, so our UI needed to be unified enough that swapping hardware inputs on the fly wouldn’t throw people completely off kilter. A unified UI means our layouts are more grid-based for ease of navigation, but it doesn’t necessarily mean an identical interaction flow.

7XRa4DD.jpg

We’ve also toned down the brightness and saturation of the icon backgrounds, as well as added secondary visual cues for indicating rarity via the border decoration. This way, we’ve made rarity indicators visually more subtle but hopefully with a wider range in accessibility.

We received some non-specific feedback about the inventory, but we had guesses as to what people were reacting to based on our own observations. We’ve reorganized the layout of the inventory to what is hopefully a more balanced composition, and across the board we’re looking at the color spread and contrast levels of individual UI pieces.

gQiwkYa.jpg

Inventory

We saw a lot of feedback around the inventory, either regarding its coloring, the style/size of the item icons, or overall aesthetic. To avoid interrupting gameplay with pockets of inventory management, we’re not planning on bringing back different-sized items. However, we’ve been tackling the other points from a variety of directions.

With item icons, we’d initially pursued a painterly style to stay in line with the overall art direction of the game, and we’re finding that it doesn’t come across as well when we’re talking about small elements in the UI. We’re now exploring another approach more directly based off the 3D models to give them natural texture and realism.

gQ6zX8D.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The top pic looks so odd. I know it's early, but the preview vids showed a gritty realistic toned art style.

Yet that pic shows super bold cartoony visuals. Almost like a flash game.

Blond

Banned
Support controllers on PC? Fuck that. Diablo 3 feels so "different" because you could tell it was made for controllers and was still limited, to the point they had to introduce a whole new maneuver to match the reaction time from a kb/m.

Blizzard really knows to kill interest for hardcore fans with every piece of news they release.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I hadn't heard that they are supporting controllers on PC. Excellent. Now I don't have to play it on console.

Indeed! I wish they would patch that in for Diablo 3. I love how the game plays with a controller.

Lux R7

Like MrLama said, the inventory is just bad. Just remove the goofy character from there (that we can still see on the screen) and just let us see the cool items designs like in d2.

johntown

Banned
Support controllers on PC? Fuck that. Diablo 3 feels so "different" because you could tell it was made for controllers and was still limited, to the point they had to introduce a whole new maneuver to match the reaction time from a kb/m.

Blizzard really knows to kill interest for hardcore fans with every piece of news they release.
Why did a game that is supposedly made for controllers only have a PC version for years?

Anyone remembers how different Diablo 3 was at release compared to the first gameplay and info we had? Yeah, I wouldn't look too much into what they say about D4 at this stage in development either.

Gargus

Banned
I really want to be excited for this but I just can't get excited.

The limited classes, the always online thing, and just the general direction or blizzard and how they do things over the past 4 or 5 years just really leaves me disinterested in this.

I'm pretty sure this will be something I pickup when it's in the 25 dollar range.

Reactions: Fuz

Jooxed

Gold Member
I really want to be excited for this but I just can't get excited.

The limited classes, the always online thing, and just the general direction or blizzard and how they do things over the past 4 or 5 years just really leaves me disinterested in this.

I'm pretty sure this will be something I pickup when it's in the 25 dollar range.

I really enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 on switch, So i was hoping that would be in the cards as well but alas it's not so im not super excited but I will probably but it up at some point when it's on sale as well.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I really enjoyed my time with Diablo 3 on switch, So i was hoping that would be int he cards as well but alas it's not so im not super excited but I will probably but it up at some point when it's on sale as well.

I didn't like 3 at all really. The story was ok and all but it had so much time wasting shit in it like all the crafting and such that I didn't enjoy, the game felt like it held my hand and guided me around to much, I didn't like that says I couldn't even play because the login server was down for maintenance and just in general it wasn't exciting to play. But it really hurt me when they finally put the necromancer in in the game and it was nothing like the necromancer I loved from before and that was my favorite class. Also felt like so many skills and abilities were just a waste and useless.

stilll looks like Diablo 3.5

and given Blizzard's recent track record, people shouldn't get the hopes up. Reminder that D3 was a fucking mess at launch.

Blond

Banned
Why did a game that is supposedly made for controllers only have a PC version for years?

You can go back and see the discussion about it before the consoles versions were launch. They actually came less than a year after the initial PC launch.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Is this game further along in development than most people think? I think that CGI trailer they released a few months back is one of the best trailers for ANY media I've ever seen, it's stunning.

Last edited:
Is this game further along in development than most people think? I think that CGI trailer they released a few months back is one of the best trailers for ANY media I've ever seen, it's stunning.
Trust me, that trailer is going to be the best thing about Diablo 4 period.

Tesseract

Banned
looks clean, holding out hope for strong world pvp support

the icons are kinda terrible tho, everything looks the same

Last edited:

marquimvfs

I've hated D3 on PC at launch, but, surprisingly, I've found the console version great! It's a great multiplayer couch and a very fun game to play with controllers. While obviously different from D2, I learnd how to like the third installment, just not the pc version. If D4 on PC is like 3 on consoles, I can see myself buying it.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I'll be day 1 for sure but just asking the most honest question when it comes to Blizzard and the quality of games which has long since been removed. Typically the quality Bliz games took around a decade to actually bring to the public and even after all that time there were still massive flaws.

Do folks actually think the quality Blizzard brought is still there? I don't at all but I love the Diablo lore so I'll play it at least once for that.

dilbag

I am excited but... 'not even blizzard soon" makes me not think about the game much.

D3 took what 4/5 years to come out after being announced? this game could be out in 2023-2025 for all I know. That said I will most likely be giving the game a chance and playing it.

By the time this game comes out we'll be looking forward to the PS6, Xboxwhateverthefuckitwillbecalled and the Nvidia 40XX series.
... and it still will look like crap, probably. Oh well, like all Blizzard games you can at least expect it to run on potatoes from two generations ago I guess?

McCheese

It looks super dated, like a HD remaster of diablo 2.

I suspect quite a lot of people are cool with that, but I think it's fair to expect better.

Top Bottom