• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III fans angry at PS4 announcement

Why would you expect this. Blizzard only announces new stuff at Blizzcon. Which is a hell of a lot larger than any press conference.

Everyone knew the game was coming out for Playstation. They said they were working on console development two years ago, and have had job posting for a long time.

That said, nobody knew how watered down the game was going to be for that market.

Honestly, I didn't expect them on stage at all, which is why I was both surprised and disappointed.

There was a moment of 'Oh! A console game from Blizzard!', and then the sinking realisation that it was just Diablo 3.

IlludiumQ36

I never cease to be at least a little irritated when I see people assume console players are inherently less intelligent/capable of understanding complex gameplay systems than their PC counterparts. Such a daft thought process.

The people making these assumptions are the very people making/publishing the games. And it shows considerably in the design decisions permeating D3.

Acidote

Diablo 3 was setup to be a console game. <--- It was setup with consoles in mind too. I agree.

The reason only 4 players are allowed into a game is for 4 controllers. <--- Might be.

The reason the quests make you walk in a linear closed circuit as opposed to big open worlds, is to keep your buds next to you on the same screen. <--- Diablo 2 was pretty much like this too.

The reason for no skill points or complicated number crunching? To make console players happy. <--- I agree.

The reason you have 4-5 skills on your bar at once? Very easy to use an Xbox/Ps3 controller to use skills. <--- I ABSOLUTELY agree with this.

The reason no runes / complicated item mechanics exists. Simply wouldn't be fun for console gamers. <--- I don't agree with this. They will exist. In the xpac.

The reason you can't host a named game? Auto join for console users. <--- I agree.

The reason for achievements in game? It's popular among console / COD fans. <--- I don't agree, they're there because they were popular on WoW.

The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones. <--- Again, the reason for this is WoW, not CoD.

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money. <--- I don't agree. And ActiBlizzs plans are to make as much money as they can whatever the cost is. Brand value, dev name, anything is superfluous versus short/medium-term profits.

Also explains why the game doesn't have VoIP for Pc gamer chat. <--- I don't agree. VoIP isn't there because they tried it with WoW and it sucks. 3rd party VoIP is WAY better.

Diablo 3 is the modern Call of Duty of ARPG's. <--- wat?

What people has to consider is that Diablo III has deeper problems than it's evident "consolization".

Arksy

Not like the person is wrong. The game was completely dumbed down for the console market. It's pretty apparent.

The art style, and feel of the combat are still absolutely stunning. However virtually every other decision Blizzard has made is completely awful. It would have been hard for me to imagine Blizzard making more of a disappointment than Diablo 3 is.

I am hoping the expansion fixes it. Diablo 2 was a piece of dog shit until the first expansion as well. Sadly the expansion won't even be announced until November. Meaning a mid or late 2014 launch. I don't think Diablo 3 will last long enough.

The problem is that Diablo 2's problems weren't fundamental or structural, it was just that they added a whole bunch of features and polished it right up. I don't think that's going to work here, when they've built the game around people getting loot with the biggest attribute number and dps.

With consoles in mind I'll doubt they'd split the fundamental of the two versions, with a deeper loot system for one but not the other.

Acidote

The problem is that Diablo 2's problems weren't fundamental or structural, it was just that they added a whole bunch of features and polished it right up. I don't think that's going to work here, when they've built the game around people getting loot with the biggest attribute number and dps.

With consoles in mind I'll doubt they'd split the fundamental of the two versions, with a deeper loot system for one but not the other.

With Diablo III they can just raise the level cap, give a big fuck you to low level (60) characters balance and revamp the whole game for the new level cap both in itemization and how stats work. That's one of the biggest structural problems coming out of my mind right now they could fix with an expansion.

Top Bottom