• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III fans angry at PS4 announcement

MRORANGE

From Kotaku:

One of the surprises at tonight's PlayStation 4 reveal was the announcement that Blizzard's previously PC-only Diablo III will be coming to both PS4 and PS3.

This has led plenty of disgruntled Diablo III players to make themselves heard on Blizzard's official forums. While many simply voice disappointment about seeing a PC-exclusive ported to console, user SmashCrunch articulates a broader, more astute gripe: That it's entirely possible that Diablo III was built for consoles from the start.

From the Diablo III forums:

Diablo 3 was setup to be a console game.

The reason only 4 players are allowed into a game is for 4 controllers.

The reason the quests make you walk in a linear closed circuit as opposed to big open worlds, is to keep your buds next to you on the same screen.

The reason for no skill points or complicated number crunching? To make console players happy.

The reason you have 4-5 skills on your bar at once? Very easy to use an Xbox/Ps3 controller to use skills.

The reason no runes / complicated item mechanics exists. Simply wouldn't be fun for console gamers.

The reason you can't host a named game? Auto join for console users.

The reason for achievements in game? It's popular among console / COD fans.

The reason for passive skills? Perks like Call of Duty uses. Everyone unlocks perks and uses their favorite ones.

PC gamers are just beta testing for the console release so it wont be full of bugs. That's how ActiBlizz intends to make the real money.

Also explains why the game doesn't have VoIP for Pc gamer chat.

Diablo 3 is the modern Call of Duty of ARPG's.

There are some users in the thread offering counterpoints, but it's hard not to see the truth in some of those observations.

edit: the forum thread for those posts has been locked.

Massa

I would love it if the console version of Diablo 3 didn't have always-online DRM. The official forums would provide entertainment for years to come.

Eusis

If they really did compromise Diablo III's design for consoles then at least patch in controller support. May as well go all the way then.

Though with the PS4 I kind of expect they could've done 4 player split screen co-op while storing ENOUGH of the world, and who knows if they even enable local co-op EDIT: MAYBE I SHOULD READ THE NEWS FIRST (though they could just not bother with it on PS3). Nevermind the angle of everyone playing with Vitas if that were feasible at a decent resolution (but if so holy crap, it'd become the successor to Four Swords.)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Typical nerd reaction. Sorry but this is stupid and I own Diablo III on PC and am interested to play it online on PS3 or PS4 with my consoles friends.

Abridged transcript from Giant Bomb stream:

Please don't be Diablo.
Please don't be Diablo.
Please don't be Diablo.

*Guitar strum*

Awwww....

MrDaravon

This seems likely, I'm just still baffled that if this was the plan all along what the hell took so long?

I would love it if the console version of Diablo 3 didn't have always-online DRM. The official forums would provide entertainment for years to come.

Unless they plan to implement the RMAH on consoles I bet it'll have offline play.

Trickster

Let's be honest. A lot of those arguments kinda make sense.

the thing I don't get is who on earth would buy diablo 3 on a console

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
If it really did tone down features for consoles then this is a thing to be legitimately upset about, however I don't think there is really any way of knowing.

JDSN

Banned
No, the reason for all those things is because Blizzard fucked up, there is no simple master plan, just mediocrity.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blizzard just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Diablo III for either system, nor will they purchase any of Blizzards games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel Diablo III for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

If anyone was paying attention at launch, these exact complaints were made then. It was just hard to hear over the swathes of complaints about the game not being Diablo 2.

DaBoss

I can't deny that lots of those points do make sense. Though to be upset about the port is silly. To be upset about it being built limiting the PC version is okay.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
I mean, it's just Diablo III.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about American culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in Canada where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in America, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the american public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase Diablo III for either system, nor will they purchase any of Blizzards games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Blizzard has alienated an entire market with this move.

Blizzard, publicly apologize and cancel Diablo III for PS4 or you can kiss your business goodbye.

This always brings a smile to my face. Thank you.

Wow, I am at a loss of words. Blizzard has lost themselves a customer.

They sold 12 million copies on PC and are making boatloads of cash off of the real money auction house. I don't think the PC community was some afterthought.

I think we, as PC gamers, were all a bit let down by Diablo 3.

I was curious to hear of they were going to implement the auction house for the console versions - since that was easily the biggest mistake they made with the game. Shit, I'd be tempted to double-dip the console version if the totally rework the loot system and ditch the AH. The gameplay was pretty great I thought.

The points make sense but they didn't dumb down Diablo 3 for consoles. They dumbed it down because that's where the industry has progressed to. Consoles and console style games have dominated the last decade or so.

Slowclap.gif

Also, there are Diablo III fans?

If it really did tone down features for consoles then this is a thing to be legitimately upset about, however I don't think there is really any way of knowing.

This.

That list makes a LOT of sense though. Interesting that the thread has been locked. I'd love to hear an official word from Blizzard on if this is the case or not (we won't).

Reallink

Yea about that, this has all been obvious for almost a year now. The 4 skill limit made it dead obvious (as in giant turd in the middle of a bath tub obvious) that it was designed around consoles.

King Boo

yeah diablo 3 sucked. it really felt like it was made for consoles.

but lets look at the bright side. it's a fun gauntlet legends type of game?

Elios83

Deal with it gif?
Also most of them complained about the game and said it was shit anyway one year ago. So what?

Top Bottom