• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls |OT3| Tyrael Looted: {[El'druin]}

Addnan

Finally made it. Feels pretty good.

diabloiii2015-09-15109prat.png

Addnan

Thank you everyone! It was a grind. Must keep going, want to push 2man ladders and maybe 4s.

@Ingeniero play time at 1000 ding was 215 hours, but that includes all the town afk alt tab internet browsing. Spamming you guys with giant gifs and my paragon updates lol.

Just for fun, jumped into a solo 65 after dinging 1k. I really hate solo, but got it down first attempt. Here's a vid if anyone is interested. I was using wrong war cry lol. The most useless one in fact, CHARGE! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFSTSMGSz9o&feature=youtu.be

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Anyone know which tools are good for improving GIF size? Instagiffer's convenient, but it doesn't seem like it has good optimization methods (or I can't find them).

Armaros

I am thinking about switching to WD, not feeling wiz this season. Delrasha isn't strong enough and I don't really enjoy Vrys.

Kenaras

Edit: Ok read further and I get why you can't trust U2. If there are several targets around and you apply EP through U2, only one of the targets will be affected by MR, the rest will have non-MR.

It is therefore better to charge your MR buff by doing a couple of hits at a pack and than dash away, find a new pack and apply EP manually to a single target and spread it spread it through with SSS.

Will try this when I get home.

Nonsensical mechanics like this really bother me. Sure, it does increase the skillcap, and for a lot of players that's all they care about. But there's nothing logical or intuitive about the way those mechanics interact. (The biggest offender is how 2U applies EP to all mobs hit, but only one of those EPs is buffed by MR. How does that make sense?)

I guess I'm a bit odd for caring so much about elegance and consistency in underlying game rules.

Dahbomb

Congrats man.
How many hours did it take?
I think quantity hours is less important than quality of hours.

Many people can make 1000 Paragon points if every day they played in optimum 4 man groups. But if you are mostly playing solo or with randoms then it will take more than twice as long to get there.

Nonsensical mechanics like this really bother me. Sure, it does increase the skillcap, and for a lot of players that's all they care about. But there's nothing logical or intuitive about the way those mechanics interact. (The biggest offender is how 2U applies EP to all mobs hit, but only one of those EPs is buffed by MR. How does that make sense?)

I guess I'm a bit odd for caring so much about elegance and consistency in underlying game rules.
This game is full of stuff like that. Area damage still isn't working as intended. The stat on paper is very strong but when core skills don't even have that apply then it's pretty much a wasted stat for many builds/classes.

eek5

To be fair, they didn't design it like this on purpose. It's just a by-product of optimization code that snapshots damage instead of dynamically calculating it to lessen the load on the server (see HT WD for what goes wrong when you don't snapshot at all)

Kenaras

This game is full of stuff like that. Area damage still isn't working as intended. The stat on paper is very strong but when core skills don't even have that apply then it's pretty much a wasted stat for many builds/classes.

Yeah, I saw a few different builds that valued area damage very highly, based entirely on theorycrafting. They all dropped that stat when they realized it just wasn't working the way it should.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
To be fair, they didn't design it like this on purpose. It's just a by-product of optimization code that snapshots damage instead of dynamically calculating it to lessen the load on the server (see HT WD for what goes wrong when you don't snapshot at all)

Good problem for a computer science class there. You could improve the CPU cost by having a character update the damage in all its associated active DoTs whenever its relevant properties change and save lots of lookups compared to having the DoT damage calculation do a lookup on the parent character's stats each tick, but that increases the memory required since you now have these arrays of active effects. Also could be bad when the relevant properties are changing frequently, like with the bleed gem and a character moving through crowds. Could be ok if that's limited to one update a second or so for certain types of dynamic attributes.

I remember they calculated the expected crit damage for DoTs and factored that into the base damage to avoid a bunch of crit calculations (and also improve gameplay). I wonder if they're still doing other dynamic calculations 60 times a second internally for DoTs even though we only get the summarized damage numbers twice a second.

Addnan

I think quantity hours is left important than quality of hours.
Many people can make 1000 Paragon points if every day they played in optimum 4 man groups. But if you are mostly playing solo or with randoms then it will take more than twice as long to get there.

Efficiency and proper setup is everything. We run GR65s with perfect group comp and xp gear. It took my only 15 GR65s to go from 990 to 1000 this morning.

This game has become way too group orientated. If you want to play solo competitively you need to play in a group which well is fucking stupid.

JoeMartin

This game has become way too group orientated. If you want to play solo competitively you need to play in a group which well is fucking stupid.

If it took 4 people coordinating competently and efficiently to equal the output of a single person playing competently and efficiently that would be fucking stupid. Groups will and should always be able to push higher content more easily.

Blizzard may have gone ham with distributed xp multipliers this season, but there should definitely be benefits to grouping beyond lootshare.

eek5

This is even worse when you play a class like the poor Wizard this season :(.

Why would anyone play Wizard though?

If it took 4 people coordinating competently and efficiently to equal the output of a single person playing competently and efficiently that would be fucking stupid. Groups will and should always be able to push higher content more easily.

Blizzard may have gone ham with distributed xp multipliers this season, but there should definitely be benefits to grouping beyond lootshare.

That's how it was at launch and it was fucking terrible. Nobody played in groups because the game got stupid hard.

There were already benefits, you can do much higher GRs in groups(at least 5+ on average at the same gear levels), so you would already get more xp. The amount you get with the shared xp is dumb though compared to solo xp. And considering paragons are still not capped and the power differences between paragon levels is so large when you compare large numbers(say between 1000 and 2000), it makes the whole concept of solo ladders completely irrelevant since you can only compete if you play in a group.

People are already like paragon 1400-1500 atm, and it's only like 3weeks in? Or is it 2 I forgot when it started, anyway it's pretty early. Since paragon level requirements go flat after 2000, people will probably be 4000 or maybe even 5000 by the end of the season. Solo you won't even be close to that from farming lower GRs AND farming without fairly large xp boosts(and with xp boosts being multiplicative in GRs, it's a huge deal), maybe you'll be 2000 or so. The difference in power will be absolutely ridiculous.

It's not a huge problem for blizzard since so few people compete in GR leaderboards anyway, but the concept of a solo leaderboards where only people who played in group for the entire duration of the season can compete is pretty stupid, regardless of how you view it. They need to cap paragons or keep the xp requirement per level climbing past 2000(so it becomes increasingly inefficient to level paragon) if they ever want solo boards to be relevant, especially with the xp share change. Which might need to be nerfed some, maybe. If paragon was capped it wouldn't be much of an issue though, groups would just hit the cap earlier.

JoeMartin

There were already benefits, you can do much higher GRs in groups(at least 5+ on average at the same gear levels), so you would already get more xp. The amount you get with the shared xp is dumb though compared to solo xp. And considering paragons are still not capped and the power differences between paragon levels is so large when you compare large numbers(say between 1000 and 2000), it makes the whole concept of solo ladders completely irrelevant since you can only compete if you play in a group.

People are already like paragon 1400-1500 atm, and it's only like 3weeks in? Or is it 2 I forgot when it started, anyway it's pretty early. Since paragon level requirements go flat after 2000, people will probably be 4000 or maybe even 5000 by the end of the season. Solo you won't even be close to that from farming lower GRs AND farming without fairly large xp boosts(and with xp boosts being multiplicative in GRs, it's a huge deal), maybe you'll be 2000 or so. The difference in power will be absolutely ridiculous.

It's not a huge problem for blizzard since so few people compete in GR leaderboards anyway, but the concept of a solo leaderboards where only people who played in group for the entire duration of the season can compete is pretty stupid, regardless of how you view it. They need to cap paragons or keep the xp requirement per level climbing past 2000(so it becomes increasingly inefficient to level paragon) if they ever want solo boards to be relevant, especially with the xp share change. Which might need to be nerfed some, maybe. If paragon was capped it wouldn't be much of an issue though, groups would just hit the cap earlier.

Capping paragon would instantly kill D3, so they'll never do that. XP requirement continuing to scale upward should definitely be a thing, tho.

Doing higher tier GR doesn't always necessarily = more XP/hr. Efficiency/speed is everything.

Regardless, I don't mind that groups are ridiculously more efficient. If the design intent is that groups are more effective for farming XP then that's the way it is. The inherent problem in this line of argument is that there will always be a more efficient way to level paragon, and by default I think that it should be doing it in groups. Whether its significant or slight, advantage in competition is advantage, degree doesn't matter so much as kind and kind has been decided. Even of the XP were dead even, you'd eventually get people complaining that loot share is stifling competition because those people had more chances at better gear.

At the end of the day, I don't do solo grifts to try and hit number one on the leaderboard, realistically the guys at the top are "competing" with a handful of people at best, not the other million people playing D3 - more than that, I'm not competing against other people so much as competing against the game, to see how high I can push. I actually appreciate that the enabler to that end is best done in groups - playing with other people is, for me, more enjoyable, and since everyone wants to group it makes grouping no problem.

You do higher tier more efficiently now though, due to the powercreep. Not only do you get like twice as much xp from the xp sharing gear than you did before, you also get twice as much base xp from clearing much higher GR than last season. And groups do higher GR at the same efficiency than solo was my point, because the hp doesn't scale the same as the damage and that doesn't take into account synergy between multiple classes(all the obvious damage/toughness buffs/debuffs that work for the whole group and so on). This last part is totally fine btw, the original way was terrible.

Grouping was already the best way to do it last season, and the season before, and again before, it's been that way for a long time now, basically since they unfucked vanilla inferno shit which iirc was done even before RoS released(maybe back when they added torments to the base game?). Groups have been more efficient the entire time, there wasn't really a need to make them even more efficient, and not a little either but by a very large amount.

I think a paragon cap, in seasons, wouldn't ruin D3. Though it'd need to be scaled appropriately for the duration of the season so people don't hit it too quick then have nothing to do and so on. 2000 would realistically be too low for the current xp rates. People will hit 2000 by the end of the first month, maybe month a half, and considering they're having 3-4months season, that's nearly not enough. So I could see them just keeping the progression instead, it's a more elegant way to do it, even though it means they'll kinda nerf the non season paragon levels for people who have been playing a lot, by a lot. Like people being paragon 5000+ or whatever would be nerfed down to 3500 or whatever under the new formula. I can't say I care, but it would cause some grunting(then again everything does).

Overall though it's a minor issue I'd say. I'd rather have them work on better class balance than fixing solo leaderboards group versus solo issues. It only affects a very small amount of people, while class balance is a very real issue for many people, especially with the online mentiality of fotm and tier and shit where random joes get kicked out of farming groups because they're not playing x or y.

ZenaxPure

I think the more realistic answer is to just cap paragon levels inside GRs themselves. The more randomness you add to a competitive thing the less interesting it is and paragon levels are just another source of randomness (since not everyone is the same level).

Not something I expect Blizzard to do though considering they wouldn't even remove pylons from GRs which are far more egregious than paragon levels.

Dahbomb

Yeah the Paragon thing is a major issue with the game. Quite frankly the whole system needs to be reworked. It hasn't seen any updates since like the first season of RoS.

Good thing is that Blizzard does recognize it as an issue.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
WW Barb is much less boring than it looked, when you actually play it. Im in a rut atm with no ancient set weapon (since dust devils, your main source of dmg, is 2500% weapon dmg, or so Im assuming), and especially no cubed furnace (ironically I have it cubed non-season), so im soloing all the T9 rifts easily but T10 stuff I just dont have the dmg. I dont die at all, but just no dmg.

And since Ive been powerleveling other people's Monks, I finally made one myself, so lets see if exploding stuff is as fun as it looks.

kmfdmpig

The crusader was so very boring for a long time, but I like the Light set with Blessed Hammer build quite a bit. It's far from top-tier (I eeked out a 41 grift today), but it's fun and is a nice change of pace from the WW Barb I ran last season.

kuYuri

Remember when OT2's OP had the Hammerdin joke and now we're here and Hammerdin is actually a viable build with it's own set and everything? lol

Back full circle.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone tried that barb earthquake set? The idea of leap causing earthquake sounds dope :p

ZenaxPure

Anyone tried that barb earthquake set? The idea of leap causing earthquake sounds dope :p

It's a fun set just not viable right now. Never got any stronger over time to keep up with how ridiculous damage has gotten over the course of the expansion. It's one of the sets being updated next patch.

Rhaknar

DH UE is harder than I though at GR55. I have both items for Nats and UE builds but I hate Nats.

Same. The only DH build I liked was sentry and the dmg is awful

Hopefully they give it a lift next patch while they're also fixing shadow power set. Needs damage % reduction rolled in probably somewhere(maybe on companion activation, maybe on sentry usage) and then they need to boost the damage way up, and probably add a sentry belt or something of the sort(all sentry runes and x% dmg on sentries would be cool), basically do what they do with every other set. I also liked having all the pets and building my little sentry nest then kiting stuff back into it, was pretty cool, at least solo.

Otherwise I'll just wait the patch after I guess. I'll probably mostly play impale melee trap build anyway, it sounds just way too fun to pass up. Even bothered gearing a DH to test it on PTR.

Radec

Smoke Screen needs a buff! Or bring it like in D3 Vanilla release.

Damn now I only have 10 forgotten souls. 300 Souls gone from rerolling sets UE and Nats.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, felt like leveling a wizard for a bit and take a break from GR runs on my monk. Got a room with 10 goblins in it. Really wish I was on my monk for that. T_T

T_T

T_T

T_T

ElyrionX

Only thing I don't like about M6 was needing to rush to slam down 5 sentries every time you entered a new level.

Also, Hammerdins are viable now? Is it a season thing or can it be played in non season too?

Only thing I don't like about M6 was needing to rush to slam down 5 sentries every time you entered a new level.

Also, Hammerdins are viable now? Is it a season thing or can it be played in non season too?

The crusader seasonal item works with the set but it's not actually used since the build mostly relies on the hammer rather than the falling sword part(which the belt interacts with). So it can be played on non season just fine, recommended belts are string of ears or witching hour anyway.

I played a couple hundred hours on PC, but now I can only really play on consoles. Thinking about picking this up, but I'm concerned.

Does the console version get updates and stuff from Blizzard? How does it play, and does anyone really play it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found the other thread about the console version.

ElyrionX

The crusader seasonal item works with the set but it's not actually used since the build mostly relies on the hammer rather than the falling sword part(which the belt interacts with). So it can be played on non season just fine, recommended belts are string of ears or witching hour anyway.

Sounds good. My wiz and DH are nearly fully geared so will probably try a Hammerdin next.

On a related note, how dependent is the Uliana Monk on the seasonal item Lion's Claw. I only play non-season casually. Is the Uliana build still viable to speed clear TX without that item?

eek5

uliana fucking sucks for gobelin packs :|
WW barb is the best for those

HT WD wrecks those because they can apply DoTs that kill the goblins right from the start so it's just a matter of waiting for the DoT to kill every goblin lol

Uliana and generator monk are brutal for those especially if your ephiph drops off before you manage to kill everything on gen monk.

Nokterian

Ok this monk build looks cool..i only need a flying dragon then i am going to try it.

http://www.diablofans.com/news/48521-rank-1-barbarian-clear-zero-crit-shenlongs-monk

HT WD wrecks those because they can apply DoTs that kill the goblins right from the start so it's just a matter of waiting for the DoT to kill every goblin lol

Uliana and generator monk are brutal for those especially if your ephiph drops off before you manage to kill everything on gen monk.

Can tell you a gaffer tagged along yesterday to suit his new char and we got a goblin pack in those sewer and they were all trapped and yes with Helltooth Witch Doctor they went down insane fast.

Dunfisch

Playing my HC could be a dangerous game at the moment, the random lags and worse, Elites spawning right at rift entrances can really ruin your day. Well at least I'm in little danger playing on Hard only with a Monk kitted with Gizzard and Healing Mantra.

Though other classes might have a harder time not pooping themselves, for them - or when it's gonna be one of those sessions - I recommend the use of

9ap8Ntc.png

The game never ceases to amuse me with its name combinations.

Top Bottom