• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition |OT| Loot has never looked this good before!

BumRush

So I thought I joined the aforementioned group and it looks like there's only four members in it and my membership is still pending? Is that right? What's going on there?

A) Might be Demon Hunter; between the four end game sets, the character does play very differently among them, which means that you can build one set well enough to use to hunt for other sets should you grow to dislike or be bored by what you have. Other classes tend to have only one build/set which clearly outperforms any others, though that doesn't become a concern until you try to climb higher in Greater Rifts (beyond 70 or so at least). If all you care about is raw damage output, Wizard seems to be the leader in this patch, but that's largely thanks to an exploitable bug for how you can cast two spells together without restriction, and each new patch tends to give the DPS crown to a different class.

B) You'd have to leave your contact information here for people to add you, and it would be far better to specify in here what you're looking for rather than hope for random kindness and system generated gifts to come about. It also wouldn't hurt to state if you're open to playing with others or not. Once a friend is added to the game's mail listing, it cannot be removed, so some of us who have a list of 100+ people who never play the game anymore are a bit wary of adding new friends. It can be a bit disheartening to have gifts drop for people who you're not sure you have ever seen play, as well as scroll through a gigantic list of strangers when mailing things

Thank you so much. When I finish Witcher and know I'll dedicate time to D3, I'll post again with my psn. Thanks for the advice.

h3ro

86 cleared.

diabloiii_reaperofsoulru50.jpg

Swapped out swiftmount for an ancient sun keeper with 30% dmg to elites. (Had no idea it went up to 30%, thought max was just 10%.)
Rolled off the base dmg to 10% cdr. Was lucky and got 8% cdr on the 3rd attempt. Then i must have spent about 300 DB's till it rolled 10%. Sheeesh

good lord.

I'm working on a semi-support/Generator build right, looks like it was working well yesterday with the usual crew (we were able to farm Level 82 nicely). Wanna see what we can push up to if you were in the group as well!

Paganmoon

Ahhh Pagan. Remember that GR 32 that Tunesmith, you and I attempted once back in 2014? Boy did we get butt raped. Now though, I could fart and melt GR 32 :)

Good times haha :)

good lord.

I'm working on a semi-support/Generator build right, looks like it was working well yesterday with the usual crew (we were able to farm Level 82 nicely). Wanna see what we can push up to if you were in the group as well!

Don't compare yourself to Krayzie, you'll only feel inadequate at everything if you do.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I miss him in our groups, man. I'll never exclaim the word Jesus the same way ever again.

JAYSUS
ok.. I have to ask this. When getting gear in the game.. how exactly do you know what the best gear is for you?

I usually say "all green arrows in Health, strength and defense" means good to go, but what about defense being higher by 2 green triangles, but health and strength are down a red triangle?
Three main points -

First, for purposes of those quick comparison arrows, everything is calculated differently once you hit level 70 compared to while you're on the climb to that point. For example, at sub-70, having a ruby in your weapon socket will be more beneficial than an emerald, and you'll generally see dramatic spikes in increases as you get new drops which are at a gear level 20 points beyond whatever it is you have equipped. During the climb, just try to maximize offense at all costs so that you can keep the difficulty up as high as possible so that you can get to 70 as soon as possible.

Second, those arrows and the quick referential figures are based on amalgamations of various values to arrive at a kind of magic number - and those numbers might not tell the whole story.
Offense is generally derived from attack speed, critical hit chance, and critical hit damage; since this is a DPS value, it will show dramatic increases whenever you equip an item with more attack speed given everything else is the same, but there are builds and abilities where attack speed doesn't matter. This magic number also makes no account of affixes which give an increase to an elemental damage type, and that's something which is very important to consider at end game.
Defense is a combination of your armor, resists, and vitality; the game values vitality much more than resistance. It also somehow accounts dodge chance, which I find to be very misleading and particularly inflationary here.
Healing is a combination of life per second, life per hit, and life per kill; I have no idea how weighted each of these affixes are, but life on kill is useless and I'm not exactly sure how the resultant figure is calculated regardless.

Third, for purposes of playing SC, you generally want to maximize offense and try to have just enough defense so that you don't get one-shot-killed by the enemies.

TLDR - Maximize offense, keep defense just high enough to stay alive, and don't worry about any of this too much until you hit 70.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
So in other words, past 70, the stupid green/red arrows are useless to determine which loot to keep? That kind of sucks... do you have to do damage comparisons all the time or what?

Krayzie

diabloiii_reaperofsouwuox8.jpg

Kadala's been real good to me :D (Too bad bout the shitty secondary roll though, would be perfect with some thorns dmg)
Might have to go down on her for this one. hehehe

good lord.

You guys running the new meta of 1 dps wiz with 3 support?
This build is not exactly suited for group play, though it has some support viability through laws of hope-hopeful cry popping up health globes + reaper wraps = wizard spamming energy twisters.

If the timing's right, lets give it a shot over the weekend.

Cobalt03

Hey diablo-GAF. I'm thinking about getting back into this (ps4) after I finish witcher 3. I'm probably going to start from scratch. A). What's the most fun character for a newcomer (in your opinion) and B). Would someone want to toss some overpowered gear in my mailbox!? Is that how it works?? Thanks for help in advance.

Demon hunter or wizard

dog$

Hates quality gaming
So in other words, past 70, the stupid green/red arrows are useless to determine which loot to keep? That kind of sucks... do you have to do damage comparisons all the time or what?
The figures and arrows are pretty well in the middle between "useless" and "accurate".

At least in the details screen you can scroll down to see what your elemental DPS values are so that you can make a better informed comparison on equipping items which give you an elemental bonus.

It's also much worse for determining defense upgrades rather than offensive ones. With offense, you can generally rely on the comparisons being accurate by ignoring inflation for Increased Attack Speed and knowing that elemental bonuses aren't calculated. For defense, the game places all kinds of unstated priorities on things like vitality, single elemental resists, armor, as well as special damage reductions for things like dodging and "melee" or "range" damage types. The String of Ears belt and Eye of Etlich amulet will show massive defense upgrades over basically any other items in those slots, and that's only because of their special damage reduction affixes - and the problem with that is those reductions are conditional. If you have a mobile or kiting build, you're rarely being hit by melee attacks, so a String of Ears is basically no better than any other belt with similar primary affixes, but the game will show a two arrow defensive increase for the String.

The arrows are sufficient enough for a quick referential glance while going through drops to salvage, but that's with the presumption that you know what to look for in the affixes and what's being compared.

You guys running the new meta of 1 dps wiz with 3 support?
This build is not exactly suited for group play, though it has some support viability through laws of hope-hopeful cry popping up health globes + reaper wraps = wizard spamming energy twisters.
We did 2 wiz / wd / monk, dirtgnap has the other wiz set up.

And thanks to the console bug, Wizards don't need Reapers to stay fueled.

Grouping is key. Area Damage is no joke.

Krayzie

Krayzie, whats the build?

LoN Bombardment but instead of using the recommended swiftmount + lidless wall, i'm using sun keeper + final witness. Immensely fun build but its a bitch to gear.

We did 2 wiz / wd / monk, dirtgnap has the other wiz set up.

And thanks to the console bug, Wizards don't need Reapers to stay fueled.

Grouping is key. Area Damage is no joke.

Riiight. Was wondering why noone was wearing em in the group i was playing with. They had two wizards as well and a globe barb. Did a few empowered GR 99's and didnt fail once. Though 1 was close with 20 secs remaining. I am now down about 10 billion but got my boyarski and BotT gems to lvl 100.

Now to put that GR 88 to the test.

Results

diabloiii_reaperofsous2p3l.jpg

This one took some time. Kept failing. Then I swapped shields

diabloiii_reaperofsouiwryg.jpg

and rerolled cdr to area damage on one of my rings. 2 attempts later and 88's in the bag.

Playstyle's a bit harder without the Final Witness but the added physical and area damage makes up for that so far. Probably stick to this and hope for a Final Witness with with area, bombardment AND thorns damage to drop.

I have a question regarding the PS4 version of the game. I intend to co-op both with friends and whichever stranger wants to join my game (and vice versa). I have heard however, it's possible for my game to get rigged because of hacked/modded loot. Is this still a threat in any way or do I need to worry about anything in general?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Hacked items and gems still exist, and likely will always exist as long as save data is locally stored on the system.

I think it's a fair bet to say that it will never be eliminated. Not given how the game has been handled to this point at least.

The hacked items only affect you if you play in public games. So don't.

satori

Just got this for me and the wife. I personally played the pc version heavily in the past but my wife likes console. Anyways we really enjoy it so far.

Is there a community list some where? Would love to add some gaffers.

My psn is sattori

Raptor

86 cleared.

diabloiii_reaperofsoulru50.jpg

Swapped out swiftmount for an ancient sun keeper with 30% dmg to elites. (Had no idea it went up to 30%, thought max was just 10%.)
Rolled off the base dmg to 10% cdr. Was lucky and got 8% cdr on the 3rd attempt. Then i must have spent about 300 DB's till it rolled 10%. Sheeesh

The hell is going on around here??

Last time I played I barely could do like 50+ Rifts or less I dont remember lol.

Damage must be in the billions now I guess lol.

Dunfisch

so i recived this weapon from a freind on PSN and was wondering why its so OP for my caracter. I though stuff sent was supposed to be for my current level.

It's not a hacked item. That's due to the levelled Gem of Ease in it - at 25 it sets the required level of the item it's in to 1. It'll stay this way so long as it's socketed in there. The added bonus experience per kill also really boosts levelling speed.

PepperedHam

It's not a hacked item. That's due to the levelled Gem of Ease in it - at 25 it sets the required level of the item it's in to 1. It'll stay this way so long as it's socketed in there. The added bonus experience per kill also really boosts levelling speed.
Oh damn that's a pretty sweet deal, I didn't even pay attention to the socket.

so was this a sent item or did the stats just roll those when i picked it up ?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
so i recived this weapon from a freind on PSN and was wondering why its so OP for my caracter. I though stuff sent was supposed to be for my current level.
I noticed that you were leveling a Wizard and I happened to have that wand drop, so instead of dropping in your game to give it to you I just sent it in the mail.

I tend to mail people stuff who I notice haven't played in a while on the chance that I get a drop which isn't auto-trash.

GR 90 cleared!

To go further, I need a Traveler's Pledge with a better roll on CHD, and a very very specific The Compass Rose (Attack Speed, CHC, CHD, Area Damage and slot).

The hell is going on around here??

Last time I played I barely could do like 50+ Rifts or less I dont remember lol.

Damage must be in the billions now I guess lol.

Patch 2.4 changed a lot of things. :p

I noticed that you were leveling a Wizard and I happened to have that wand drop, so instead of dropping in your game to give it to you I just sent it in the mail.

I tend to mail people stuff who I notice haven't played in a while on the chance that I get a drop which isn't auto-trash.

alright thanks!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Also, with the console bug, it's better to equip the Fragment and put the Sword in the cube, as well as use the Delsere belt. It's also better to cube the Convention ring and equip a Halo, unless you happen to have an ancient COE ring that has 200% bonus damage and everything else you want.

HORRORSHØW

That build is nuts. Just did a 92 using Taeguk in place of Esoteric. I'm still missing 2 ancient pieces and augments. My sword also doesn't have the max bonus damage, so good call on using the wand instead.

Beat the last bit of story on my PS3. I hear way too much about hackers to go online and it makes the prospect of grinding for new gear kind of boring if there's no way to show it off. Is there any hope?

dog$

Hates quality gaming
I wonder if legendary gems were hacked into the PS3 version. It would be funny if the game had "patch support" by those means rather than officially.

Any hope? Don't hold your breath. It's as I said a few posts ago. There's plenty of places to go to find listings of players who stay legit. Add yourself and others in them. To be fair, though, I have to wonder what kind of online base the PS3/360 games even have now. No GRs, no gems, no season items, T6 max difficulty .... eesh.

Anyway, beyond that, they have painted themselves into a corner with the power creep on this newest patch. Their biggest priority isn't going to do something about hackers; it is going to be giving players something new to do now that gems can be legitimately leveled to 100, and giving more gear options to have builds being able to swim in GR 100 isn't going to be a sufficient answer.

haikira

Hey guys,

Grabbed this the other week on the PS4, and after having a ho-hum time with the game at launch on PC, I'm having a blast with it this time.

I've been mostly playing local, and a few friends and I are about half way through the fifth act.

We've been playing with two wizards, and a barbarian, which seemed to be making the game a little trivial, despite upping the difficulty as much as we could. Now that we've hit the fifth act, we've been able to bump it again, and it's feeling a little more challenging now.

Had two questions if any one doesn't mind helping me out?

My friends are using their PSN accounts when playing locally at mine, so they're getting their trophies. I'm just wondering though, can they transfer their characters over to their console if they ever want to, and if so, how?

Secondly, I'm planning to do a two man hardcore run, and was wondering if anyone had any advice, either for what classes would be the best, or just any general tips.

Yes, they can upload their save to the cloud and download it again at home. (and vice versa of course)

They need to press the middle button and "take control" over you ps4, then go into the settings menu and go to... ahh now I can't remember the name but you should know it when you see it.

Alric

Started playing again on ps4, leveling back and forth between wizard and witch doctor. Since I don't know anyone else on my friends list that plays maybe I can add a few from here.

Ps4 - Myrkridian

Figured I'd be able to get some loot or at least be able to send some as I level.

AerialAir

Banned
So, I've searched this thread and overall GAF and didn't find any info on this but, I know I can play this game SP only, my doubts are: Playing SP only can be fun? Do I need plus (I'm on PS4) to play SP?

Edit: I've never played a Diablo game, and want to jump in this bandwagon, looks fun.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
PS+ is only required if you intend to play with other people. I'm pretty sure you can do everything else, including adding other friends to your list and having gifts drop to them, mail be sent to them, both of these things back to you, and so on.

I only find SP enjoyable for multiboxing. It gives a different way to play the game as well as have multiple gearing goals, and maximizes potential for something that's not automatically trash to actually come around. The longer you play, the more rare and precious those moments are.

I view Diablo 3 mainly as a multiplayer game where SP is optional instead of the reverse of that. It's difficult to justify running on the skinner box treadmill in any respect, and I can only imagine it being more difficult to do if you're only doing it by yourself and for yourself. How much of a sense of accomplishment and worthiness are you going to have after being able to push your highest solo Grift clear to a new level? When does that climb feel as being sufficiently done? GR80? 90? Perhaps I don't have the right people in my list, but the players who I see on the game week after week are those who play in groups. Out of 100+ people, I see maybe two who seem to stick with SP only and only come around for new patches. I guess the ultimate answer lies in what kind of goals you have in playing, and how diverting you find the combat to be.

AerialAir

Banned
Thanks for the reply.

Since a majority of the game is only enjoyable in Multiplayer, I don't much reasons to get this game since I don't plan on ever having ps+.

If I do see it on sale for a very decent and low price, I might get it anyway.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I recently bought the console version after putting 1000s of hours into the PC version and it's good, the game handles beautifully with a controller although I see no need for the roll button and I never use it.

It performs well most of the time while solo but I've noticed that The Last of Us mobs cause major frame rate slowdown, most likely caused by the Bolter's Poison Cloud (which ironically causes frame rate dips in TLoU remastered as well). Act 5 is also a bit choppy at times whereas acts 1 - 4 felt buttery smooth (during the campaign, I've noticed Rifts and Grifts do drop under 60fps). One plus over the PC version is the lack of micro stutter, I have suffered with micro stutter on PC since the original beta across 3 different rigs but the PS4 doesn't have this issue at all and it feels great as a result.

There are a few things that bug me though, for one I really dislike how gem and socket bonuses are displayed, it's very hard to see at a glance what you're gaining from gems as the bonuses are added on to the items default stats, for example on PC if you put a 100 int gem in your chest it will clearly state +100 int in a different color whereas on console it'll just add that int to the items base int.

PC:

PS4:

As you can see on PS4 the gem bonuses are just tacked on which is done to save space I assume but I don't like it at all, an option to toggle on full details would be nice. Oh and a minor niggle but I don't like how to shows gems missing instead of gems total.

Another "issue" or big difference is how Nephalem Glory works, on PC it's a minor speed and damage buff but on PS4 it's literally double damage which makes it mandatory to keep stacked, it also makes the game much easier on console. Yesterday I was doing T6 with awful gear after just dinging 70 simply because of NG, on PC I would have had no chance. If you get a rare pack at the start of a Rift when you haven't got NG you really feel the difference. I imagine this becomes an issue when pushing high Grifts as you feel obligated to prefarm NG (it doesn't get removed when you enter like other buffs from what I've read).

Finally the biggest problem is the lack of seasons and cheaters, I would like to see them add online only seasons to PS4, this would give legit players somewhere to play while not affecting anyone else, it would be huge for the console version IMO. I also found online to be very laggy with lots of delay and ruber banding, is that normal?

Overall a good port but definitely a notch or two under the PC version, but it could be brought in line if they wanted to.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
- Frame rate drops are very common in groups with end game builds.
- Online coop rubber banding is common, but it's contingent on the location of the players involved. If you're in the US and trying to play with someone across either ocean, forget it.
- NG is indeed a problem, and, as usual for their response, Blizzard has dug in their heels and insists nothing's wrong.
- Gem bonuses... a toggle would be nice, sure, but I don't find it particularly important to always know what those values precisely are. An elegant solution would be to put a parenthetical value to the side of the affix to specify it (like +116 (+50/+66) Dexterity), but that requires work (and would also depend on their interpretation of that kind of information as being potentially confusing to players).
- Seasons. I didn't want to join in with h3ro replying to you about it in the PC thread, so; I just view the grind to 70 as nothing more than an elongated tutorial. That there are so many ways to expedite the process shows that Blizzard knows this too. Given that, I don't see the appeal in starting fresh on a Season since you're just spending an hour or so getting right back to where you already were regardless.
- Cheaters. I just hope that's not your Crusader you have pictured there. :)

h3ro

Interesting crusader you have there st3v3 lol

Sil, are you done with your Division dalliance?! I havent touched Diablo in weeks since the whole crew hit up the dark zone. Come back!

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Division.

Two weeks ago - Played an hour solo, confirmed how much I suck at these games, tried joining chats and playing more on Sunday; chat wouldn't commence, game crashed, got frustrated, never tried again.

Last weekend - Already feel like I'll just be wasting other people's time if I try joining with them since I'm just at Level 3 and everyone else is at 30, and because I know I'm bad at playing the game. Took Sunday to do taxes and more Japanese study instead.

I was thinking of giving a bit more of an earnest try tonight and tomorrow. Regardless, Star Ocean 5 comes out in Japan next week and if I don't have it next weekend, I'll have it the weekend after that. My time with Division may be brief even if the game somehow clicks for me.

---

I say all that because I am concerned with the future of Diablo 3 in general. Upcoming patch notes look like Blizzard is digging their head into the sand and not really doing anything to acknowledge that the GR100 ceiling is officially shattered. As I've said before; with that having occurred, players will desperately need something new to do in the game to justify playing more. A balancing patch after the continuous and rapid power creep is also something which I don't see to be well received.

I mean, the game is 4 years old and the expansion just hit its 2 year anniversary this week. Given how much it has already evolved, and how this game doesn't quite fit the company's current revenue model compared to the likes of HOTS and Hearthstone (as well as the resultant thinning of D3's budget and staffing), I think it's only fair to acknowledge that the well might be finally running dry.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
That's not my Crusader, neither of the characters are mine I just Google'd the images to show the difference between PC and PS4.

Raptor

Division.

Two weeks ago - Played an hour solo, confirmed how much I suck at these games, tried joining chats and playing more on Sunday; chat wouldn't commence, game crashed, got frustrated, never tried again.

Last weekend - Already feel like I'll just be wasting other people's time if I try joining with them since I'm just at Level 3 and everyone else is at 30, and because I know I'm bad at playing the game. Took Sunday to do taxes and more Japanese study instead.

I was thinking of giving a bit more of an earnest try tonight and tomorrow. Regardless, Star Ocean 5 comes out in Japan next week and if I don't have it next weekend, I'll have it the weekend after that. My time with Division may be brief even if the game somehow clicks for me.

---

I say all that because I am concerned with the future of Diablo 3 in general. Upcoming patch notes look like Blizzard is digging their head into the sand and not really doing anything to acknowledge that the GR100 ceiling is officially shattered. As I've said before; with that having occurred, players will desperately need something new to do in the game to justify playing more. A balancing patch after the continuous and rapid power creep is also something which I don't see to be well received.

I mean, the game is 4 years old and the expansion just hit its 2 year anniversary this week. Given how much it has already evolved, and how this game doesn't quite fit the company's current revenue model compared to the likes of HOTS and Hearthstone (as well as the resultant thinning of D3's budget and staffing), I think it's only fair to acknowledge that the well might be finally running dry.

We need Diablo 4!!!

:D

dog$

Hates quality gaming
Yeah, both of those are what I've read as being good now, not that I've read much. Skull Grasp working better for Spin Barbs is a big help.

Notes are here - http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/20099649/patch-241-now-live-4-26-2016

DHs are bumped up across the board. Firebird Wiz still has no defense bonus to its set. Gems did get a lot of reworking as was promised.

Meh. I have to wonder how many console players are even going to bother for more than a handful of weekends. I personally don't see much to keep me running on it as it stands.

Top Bottom