• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

Hot5pur

God damn, playing as necromancer is incredibly OP. The balancing between the classes is horrible with only several months to launch. Sure they can nerf some skills, but I think the balancing issues run much deeper and it will be merely a duct-tape solution.
I found things to be not dramatically different, but some classes may need more careful skill choice early on.
By the time you get to around level 20 things tend to balance out a bit.

God damn, playing as necromancer is incredibly OP. The balancing between the classes is horrible with only several months to launch. Sure they can nerf some skills, but I think the balancing issues run much deeper and it will be merely a duct-tape solution.
Necro is Diablo 3 mode. It was always the easy mode but in this one it's even worst IMO

this is a game that'll be going well into the 2030s. they'll sort it out. i know people want a perfectly balanced game at launch but it's not going to happen. either just enjoy the game for what it is and go along for the ride or wait until it's sorted. not getting at you specifically lol i'm just seeing a lot of people talk about balance. this is the first 25 lvls of the campaign. if shit is broken in the campaign it doesn't really matter. nobody really plays Diablo for the story. it's all about endgame content and seasons. months and years down the line.

Last edited:
Yeah this balance talk is weird. The game s barely started. Wait until you see leapquake barbs pulling in all the enemies on a level and one hitting them for the 100th consecutive time, 300 hours after they finished story mode.
We used to level the characters in an afternoon to start grinding gear.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Well since last beta I now have a 25 rogue, 15+ barb, sorc, druid and lvl 5 necro.

Love it but I really hope there's an alternative way of leveling after you've done the story. I feel like I've done this leveling style a million times already in wow.

On the druid I was just spamming dead man's I dunno some dungeon that has a lot of elites. It was the fastest way to level. Gonna get old leveling alts. At least you can get power leveled in other games. Might apply here too.

Eagerly awaiting full release.

if every act is like act 1, alts are going to start with 8 skill points which is a massive advantadge and reportedly paragon board points are shared as well.

Yeah this balance talk is weird. The game s barely started. Wait until you see leapquake barbs pulling in all the enemies on a level and one hitting them for the 100th consecutive time, 300 hours after they finished story mode.
We used to level the characters in an afternoon to start grinding gear.
i haven't played Diablo 3 for a while but when i did play seasons i'd get someone to boost me so i didn't have to play through the campaign. in a year from now (maybe sooner) that's what people will be doing. the entire campaign will be skipped in a few hours. it's basically meaningless.

Hot5pur

This level scaling business was the right decision I think.
Yes you get momentarily weaker, but the options to get stronger open up to you, so it's a constant struggle to figure out how to outpace the leveling difficulty, and keeps things interesting.

Inviusx

Put down RE4 and went back to get my Necro up to 20. Really just rushed through, skipped everything, getting to 20 was an absolute breeze, no deaths, not even challenging on WT2.

Definitely seen enough, looking forward to the full release in June, bring it on!

Rush2112

Banned
any OP necro boss killer builds? trying to kill this stronghold boss on veteran. He kills all the skeles and has no adds so I cant raise them again.

Antwix

This level scaling business was the right decision I think.
Yes you get momentarily weaker, but the options to get stronger open up to you, so it's a constant struggle to figure out how to outpace the leveling difficulty, and keeps things interesting.
The way I see it, it kinda adds to the replayability. Like in D2 in the story, when would anyone go back to act 1 to farm? Never. Who knows though. I've seen people claim they were in the full closed beta and the monsters eventually stopped scaling. World tier 3 basically starts from that point.

amigastar

Does playing in a clan give more experience?
I found this:
When you are close together (~3 screens radius) you get a Party Bonus buff, increasing XP gains by 5%/8%/11% depending on the number of nearby party members.
I guess we have to find out by playing with other Clan members.

Last edited:

Kacho

Got Necro to 25. Compared to Barb it was a much smoother experience. Gonna try Druid today and see how that compares.

Fbh

Can't seem to log in on ps5
It tells me im queued with "around 1 minute left", then after 10 minutes waiting it gives me an error message

Kacho

Some notes from a dev interview. Stolen from Reddit.
  • they are looking at ways to reduce re-grinding of renown for seasons (unfortunately the wording used was not "completely remove", but "reduce" :( )
  • leaderboards will be designed in such a way that you won't feel compelled/pressured to play a certain class or a certain meta build. (Good luck with that lol.)
  • best uniques in the game very likely not obtainable via gambling (Devs weren't 100% sure)
  • clans will be basic at launch, but they are looking to expand them
  • seasons are planned to be 3 months long, they'll try to have a fixed schedule for them and reduce the overlap with D2:R and D3 seasons
  • D3 related: starting from season 30, seasons will repeat
  • the battlepass will be 100% cosmetic, and won't contain things like the Haedrig's Gift from D3, even in the free reward track. Any future gameplay elements will be added via the Seasonal Journey.
  • no gigantic multipliers akin to D3 ever planned, in fact they are specifically trying to get away from D3's itemization. They want to give players as much freedom as possible when itemizing and never lock them into using certain skills or items - this specifically is the reason cited why there are currently no sets in the game, they want to avoid transforming the itemization into a simple checklist.
  • sets are likely to happen eventually, after they found a good design for them (They apparently really want to distance themselves from D3 lol)
  • no current plans for expanding the white and blue items in the end-game.
  • ultimate goal of the beta: stressing the servers. They already fixed some backend/infrastructure bugs.
  • they are focusing on class feedback and ui feedback. They are aware that different classes have different powerlevels throughout the game. (Personally I think this is fine - end-game balance should be the most important aspect, since there we'll spend 99% of our time)
  • druid's class mechanic won't be available during the beta, since it requires traveling in different parts of the world not available in the beta
  • gathering a lot of quality of life feedback, and they're aware of most QoL issues
  • they were very invested in bringing runewords back, and they tested a lot of iterations. They want them to work with D4's itemization, without ruining their feeling from D2 and without making them overbearing like in D2
  • they are planning to bring more end-game content (duh)
  • they are aware of the gem cluttering inventories. They're looking to address is (Possibly by adding a gem inventory slot)
  • pace of the game is purposefully placed between D2 and D3. They don't want you to crawl, nor fly through the map.
  • when asked about cows they answered: "There is no cow level" (wink wink)

hinch7

Yeah which is weird, as some of their attacks feel powerful, just swinging away at mofos feels excellent. Realized i was doing the classic spread too thin with the skills tonight, and as soon as i dumped 5/5 points in a select two or three skills, became a bit more manageable, especially bosses.
Still in the early stages but yeah its quite fun smashing things with a big 2 hander. Just killed the second boss so not that far but can imagine once the end game starts that Barb starts scaling much better wtih gear. Haven't dumped all my points into a skill yet but the rends and Upheaval and other shouts that charge power, buff and heal; I can see are the ones to go for.

Last edited:
For everyone asking about bosses and corpses for necro, use blood mist it makes you invulnerable and for every second of it, it'll create a corpse. Then use the corpse aoe poison cloud or bring back up on your skeletons. Easy peasy

Last edited:

Boneless

For everyone asking about bosses and corpses for necro, use blood mist it makes you invulnerable and for every second of it, it'll create a corpse. Then use the corpse aoe poison cloud or bring back up on your skeletons. Easy peasy

You need to roll with the Ghastly Blood Mist for that though!

SCB3

Played a little this afternoon as a Druid, I'm liking it so far, not played Diablo since the Switch version came out and its one of those games I love playing but never can get into for more than a week

amigastar

Playing Necro right now. It is better than D3 especially considering the state Diablo 3 was at release this is waaay better.
Only thing that would be supernice is Mod Support, but that we can forget.

Last edited:

Kacho

or are you gonna save $5?
Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

the americans are here. having to wait in a bloody queue :messenger_unamused:
Space Force Im Doing My Part GIF

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I don't like any of necro's basic attacks. They're all kinda boring. So are the core skills too, tbh. I guess it's down to sorcerer and rogue for final game.

Wish there was a paladin.

Welp... game is back to constant errors and long queues. Wait your turn. Error. Restart and wait your turn. Damn.

Last edited:
my game has bugged out i think. i can't progress the story anymore.

fuckin yey. well there goes getting the beta rewards :messenger_unamused:

Imagine a world where people like to collect physical versions of games
collecting physical games makes no sense anymore.

Last edited:
What level are you? After the world boss I’m down to group. Need to level my drood.
i'm level 11 but can't progress the story anymore. when i go to the quest marker nothing happens because it's not updated. it says to go up somes stairs which i did already. there was a cutscene and the character says to go back to some place but there is no quest markers or directions where to go. the only other quest markers are for act 2/3 which of course aren't in the beta.

i'll try again later to see if it sorts itself out.

Kacho

i'm level 11 but can't progress the story anymore. when i go to the quest marker nothing happens because it's not updated. it says to go up somes stairs which i did already. there was a cutscene and the character says to go back to some place but there is no quest markers or directions where to go. the only other quest markers are for act 2/3 which of course aren't in the beta.

i'll try again later to see if it sorts itself out.
When I have issues like that I just restart the game. On PC I’d restart the client as well. You’ll be fine. Don’t fret.

Ogbert

The game simply isn’t balanced at low level. It’s impossible.

Melee is pointless when resource starved. We’ll know what barb is like when it gets deep into end game. And Necro might well go the other way as single target dps can suck.

Top Bottom