• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters

Captn

Just did a 2 hour run. Just got to the city after prologue.

My Vram usage goes beyond 24gb on my 4090 but yet to see the out of memory error as of now.

Ram usage is over 20 Gb also on my 32gb kit.

Game runs smooth like hot butter melting in a pan.

Wmn4T37.jpg

SRTtoZ

Really? Can’t see how that would work. Absolutely impossible to balance.
I don't give a shit about PVP especially in a Diablo game but I hear there's a PVP zone. I agree that it's gonna be a nightmare to balance unless they balance it completely separate from PVE.

SRTtoZ

Knowing that this gme will be massive and they are planning content for years makes me feel warm inside, the tone and visual presentation is so good. One little tiny nitpick for me is the basic ui arial font which gives me early 2000s dungeon siege vibes but I know it's for clarity sake
Same. Knowing we will get new content, new classes, new zones, new sets, new battle passes makes me want to shell out to support the game. I will buy some of the visual skins from the store as well since they probably look SICK and because again, I want to support the game because it's one of my favorite series of all time. I'm so done with Destiny 2 and grinding fucking bounties and every season feeling the fucking same that I have no problem filling that addiction with this one.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Does the game have Couch coop on pc?
Man, the fact that this question went unanswered and is the exact same question I came here to ask, that is very discouraging.

Otherwise it's not like the console versions are that inferior as far as the new platforms so honestly a solid as this sounds based on people's impressions it's going to probably make me buy it on console for the couch co op.

cormack12

Gold Member
Is this the whole map we can see (albeit most inaccessible) or is this just act 1?

I'm really failing to see a horse/mount as essential.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
So, apparently it's a bug affecting Xbox only players. Those who tried, and successfully, logged in yesterday as soon as it launched, but were booted.....and couldn't log in thereafter, is a bug affecting only Xbox players.

Server needs rebooting but won't happen until after the weekend. May affect next weekend too.

Fuck Blizzard!!

SRTtoZ

Man, the fact that this question went unanswered and is the exact same question I came here to ask, that is very discouraging.

Otherwise it's not like the console versions are that inferior as far as the new platforms so honestly a solid as this sounds based on people's impressions it's going to probably make me buy it on console for the couch co op.
I mean, serious question. Do people actually huddle around a PC and play coop games? I Just don't know if that's a thing. Is there a way I can check? I bought the game on both PC and PS5.

GymWolf

I'm not gonna go looking now but it has those very stiff animations from the D2 remaster. They aren't AWFUL but I expect better from Blizzard who used to be the best at this type of stuff and especially polish. The game needs some more polish IMO. The stuttering on PC and the textures loading in late and shit like that really bugs me. I'm having zero of those issues on console but I want to take advantage of my very expensive PC.
Yeah i'm watching some more gameplay and some animation are pretty stiff and the combat is nowhere near as impactful as d3, hopefully they fix this because it was a huge reason why i loved d3.

like wtf is this? the spiders dying with the same precanned animation and the big enemy just flapping down with a small retard from when he get hit, with no kinetic force from the final hit at all, not sure if i can post the exact moment, but roughly here

That is amateur hour animation work.

Last edited:

Kaachan

Not a fan of being stunlocked or being able to injured while down. Far too long to recover, all my deaths have been taking a hit and while lying face down in the shite

This. I’ve died two times and that’s because of being freeze stunlocked for like 10 seconds

SRTtoZ

The game has so much more depth than D3 that's for sure. And the skill tree really is a sight to behold and I can't wait to see the builds people come up with.

SRTtoZ

Yeah i'm watching some more gameplay and some animation are pretty stiff and the combat is nowhere near as impactful as d3, hopefully they fix this because it was a huge reason why i loved d3.

like wtf is this? the spiders dying with the same precanned animation and the big enemy just flapping down with a small retard from when he get hit, with no kinetic force from the final hit at all, not sure if i can post the exact moment, but roughly here

That is amateur hour animation work.

Yea STIFF is a good way to describe it. The WW animation especially was just sort of meh. Maybe its intentional but it doesn't impress me one bit. I don't think that will be something that will get 'fixed' because it's a big undertaking re-doing all those animations unless there's very specific ones that people point out but who knows. Blizzard has a ton of money to throw at the game so if people get loud enough they will do anything. They've had to redo animations so many times when they were reworking the characters models in WoW. Especially the undead casting animations and the Nightborne. Thinking about it now. Blizzard has had a rough go at animations as of late. We have to remember that this isn't the same Blizzard team that made Diablo 1, 2 or even 3. They really are only Blizzard in name only.

As much as I shit on the studio, I will always be a customer because I grew up on these IP's and will buy them until they completely sell out or their games just go full IMMORTAL or something. That's why I don't know if I want MS to acquire Blizz-Activision. One one hand, Blizz has been going downhill the past 5 years, but on the other hand, maybe MS can turn it around?? Who knows, they can't even get consistency out of their own studios like 343i. What will really tell us the position "NEW Blizzard" is in is what direction they take the next Starcraft. If they nail that then they might be able to capture some of the magic from old Blizzard. If they completely fuck it up then that's most likely the end of Starcraft :(

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yea STIFF is a good way to describe it. The WW animation especially was just sort of meh. Maybe its intentional but it doesn't impress me one bit. I don't think that will be something that will get 'fixed' because it's a big undertaking re-doing all those animations unless there's very specific ones that people point out but who knows. Blizzard has a ton of money to throw at the game so if people get loud enough they will do anything. They've had to redo animations so many times when they were reworking the characters models in WoW. Especially the undead casting animations and the Nightborne. Thinking about it now. Blizzard has had a rough go at animations as of late. We have to remember that this isn't the same Blizzard team that made Diablo 1, 2 or even 3. They really are only Blizzard in name only.
Well for me it's pretty simple, if they don't fix this shit, i'm not gonna buy it.

Killing SOO many enemies absolutely need visual variety or i get bored after 2 hours, no matter how good the rpg mechanics are.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What the hell is a "defaced shrine cap"? I've been carrying it on my back in this one dungeon and I've cleared the whole place and I still don't know what to do with it lol.

naguanatak

Got in for 12-14 mins yesterday at launch. Maybe 14 hours of queue with no number and unable to reconnect even once since. Series X. Anyone else?
Played for ten minutes yesterday shortly after the beta started. Got kicked off, menu bugged out, restarted game and tried to reconnect. Haven't been able to get in even once since then

SRTtoZ

Disappointed that there doesn’t seem to be any adaptive trigger support on PS5.
Yea I wasn't even thinking about that but you're right. With all the games lately supporting it, this would have been a nice touch. Maybe down the line, again if enough people complain.

naguanatak

So, apparently it's a bug affecting Xbox only players. Those who tried, and successfully, logged in yesterday as soon as it launched, but were booted.....and couldn't log in thereafter, is a bug affecting only Xbox players.

Server needs rebooting but won't happen until after the weekend. May affect next weekend too.

Fuck Blizzard!!
I'm on PS5 but experiencing the exact same issue.

Forsythia

Managed to login this morning and grinded to lvl 20 for the rewards. Skipped all story beats for the full release. I like it so far.

got in and played for a bit. i'm blown away and i'm in love with it. i was worried because i am burned out by Diablo 3 but fuck yeah this is what I've been wanting. I'm going to sink a fuck load of hours into this game for sure.

i'm torn because i want to play the shit out of the beta but i want to wait until launch at the same time to get the full experience. i know it's just up to lvl 25 and act 1 which is only a small part of the campaign (and the game won't really start until after the campaign). the campaign in Diablo 3 was not great but it was serviceable. i'm already a lot more interested in the story of D4 than I ever was of D3.

I was questioning myself about dropping £90 on this game but i already feel it's totally worth it.

for the PC players who are interested in performance here are my MSI graphs from the early game. i'm on a 9900K, 32GB, RTX 4080. the game is maxed out and i'm running DLSS quality. my GPU is hardly breaking a sweat. the lowest it went was ~100fps during a "cutscene". the game has some small hitches but nothing major.

Rx536B0.jpg

CPU never went past 60C but was mostly sitting at ~50C.
CPU usage never went past 68% but was at 20-40% whenever i looked at it
RAM was max 16.5GB but droped to 13-14GB for a while
GPU never broke 40C.
GPU usage was topping out at 91% but was often at 60-70%
VRAM got as high as 14GB (i don't have high res textures installed). it seems to increase the longer i played. not sure it's a memory leak?
my GPU fan never went above 30%
max fps was 141 but was mostly solid at ~135-140fps. any major drops are only for a second which i suspect was during loading screens or cutscenes.
frame timing shows stutters but as i said above it didn't bother me. i'd say they were mostly during when enemies first appear or loot drops.
This game has poor VRAM management, this is what causes the stuttering and rubber banding

Would you say that ragdoll and sense of power from the hit is at least on par with diablo 3?

I saw the first 30 min and those wolves weren't flying when hit by a barbarian like the simple zombies you meet at the start of d3, did they made everything more realistic\heavy?

I thought d3 combat feeling was close to perfection for an isometric game, it had the right type of floaty reaction where enemies fly away but their body still has a certain weight.
I would say that Diablo 4 is a lot more grounded. After I got off last night, I hopped into Diablo Immortal on my bed just for the sake of feeling out the combat again from the D3 engine. Diablo Immortal is essentially D3 but in mobile form. The combat in those games is also good I would say, but when I tried it again I realized there is an insane difference in speed of your character. Barbarian in Diablo Immortal/D3 just moves like triple the speed of D4 and attacks way quicker.

I'll be very honest - I really like the combat system in both of these titles in D4 and D3/Immortal. They both have their negatives and positives. D4 is a much more grounded and realistic game. So it only makes sense for it to have less shit on the screen and have it be slower paced. D3 went for a very arcadey feel so it made sense for things to fly across the screen. I think the weight in characters is acceptable the way it is in D4.

As for the feedback, an ability like Bash in D4 for the Barbarian feels pretty good. I think Hammer of the Ancients though needs a bit more oomph, but not much when the hits connect. I've remade my Barbarian and managed to get him to level 13 in Hardcore so I am still missing a lot of abilities to play with.

I then made a Sorceror on softcore to level with a friend (crossplay is now fixed, previously it was bugged) I went with lightning and he went with fire. I think Range characters in D4 feel a bit better than melee when it comes to feedback.

Don't get me wrong I don't think melee is horrible, but it just need a tiny bit of tuning. I can see how some people may see/believe that the combat feels a bit floaty times.

Either way, I really loved of what I played so far. These next 2/3 months will be a torturous wait lol. But hopefully Blizzard can polish up some of the stuff and get it going. This does feel like a old-school Blizzard game though and that's amazing.

Last edited:
Made my way to the hermit hut. Not bad. I’m liking the combat and the aesthetics more than Diablo 3. I like the plot and the scene in the church. It’s something I’d play through a couple times.
That's scene in the Church was probably some of the darkest shit Blizzard has ever done. Blizzard has never went that much into horror/violence before. Yeah D2 was very dark, but I am talking about actually showing things and being gruesome about it. It's nice too see them delve into new things. That scene was awesome.

Last edited:

Sacred

This game feels so much like an evolved D2 and I am really enjoying just about everything. That opening cinematic was so well done. The voice acting and story have been fantastic, and the skill tree and progression have been excellently-paced.

I got lost in the world just doing side-quests and dungeons till like 17 before I even started the story.

They have to fix the server issues, after I got kicked had to sit through the queue 4 times before getting a successful login.

Last edited:

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Knowing that this gme will be massive and they are planning content for years makes me feel warm inside, the tone and visual presentation is so good. One little tiny nitpick for me is the basic ui arial font which gives me early 2000s dungeon siege vibes but I know it's for clarity sake
Don’t you know, arial is the new exocet!

Hot5pur

Played quite a bit more.
Really no major criticisms save for seeing other players which is immersion breaking, I think there is actually not a way to turn it off (I thought if you turn off local players it would work).
I suppose it's a worthy compromise to experience the world bosses? Maybe if we can just turn off the green player names that would be optimal.
Side quests are decent enough, and this game seems like it has quite a bit of content.
Probably not a day 1 purchase yet, will wait until they've demonstrated stable servers. But overall quite impressive and also very generous beta, quite a bit of fun to be had here.

Edit: actually it seems perhaps it's not that long..I didn't realize I was done with act 1 (just 1 more cutscene)...hmmm

Last edited:

Antwix

Who's running a sorc? Just curious what skills you all are using that work well. I'm only level 12 so far but glancing through the skills that open later and using most of the skills that I have access to, I've found chain lightning (and the basic arc skill) are really nice. Other skills seem kinda dull. Frozen orb seems sick but haven't used it really. Gonna hop back on in a bit so I'll try some other stuff though.

Last edited:

Flintty

Game is solid. Been playing on XSX and it’s graphically beautiful and smooth. I just wish they hadn’t listened to people crying that D3 was too colourful though - it’s now very drab in most settings.

Combat is solid and I’ve enjoyed experimenting with different builds. Frustrating that you can’t change any early tree talents without wiping the whole lot. D3 handled talent experimentation better in that regard.

I miss quick-equip and the indicator that the item you just picked up is an upgrade. This is really needed now that you can’t just pause the game to check the item out.

The world is massive and walking into live events with other people already fighting is great. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this evolves over time. Also can’t wait to get a Mount!

Transmog and dying is on point again, great stuff. The alchemy crafting and all that shit looks great too. I’m really excited, look like Blizz are going to deliver a fucking excellent Diablo game.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just finished a three hour binge on PS5. Barb at 12. Game is awesome. Anyone complaining is either not playing the game, decided they hated it before even trying it, or hate it for irrational reasons because they don't like the company who might possibly own Blizzard soon and thus the game is shit in their eyes.

Game is solid. Been playing on XSX and it’s graphically beautiful and smooth. I just wish they hadn’t listened to people crying that D3 was too colourful though - it’s now very drab in most settings.

Combat is solid and I’ve enjoyed experimenting with different builds. Frustrating that you can’t change any early tree talents without wiping the whole lot. D3 handled talent experimentation better in that regard.

I miss quick-equip and the indicator that the item you just picked up is an upgrade. This is really needed now that you can’t just pause the game to check the item out.

The world is massive and walking into live events with other people already fighting is great. I’m really looking forward to seeing how this evolves over time. Also can’t wait to get a Mount!

Transmog and dying is on point again, great stuff. The alchemy crafting and all that shit looks great too. I’m really excited, look like Blizz are going to deliver a fucking excellent Diablo game.
Not sure how far you are but I found plenty of dungeons and some other big areas that have more color to them. It's just the first Snowy area is always going to be a bit gray due to the nature of the environment.

Don't forget, the world in D4 is very big and there are still grasslands, westmarch, the desert and other places to visit. I am 100% positive there will be a lot more color than this initial start.

Last edited:

Flintty

Not sure how far you are but I found plenty of dungeons and some other big areas that have more color to them. It's just the first Snowy area is always going to be a bit gray due to the nature of the environment.

Don't forget, the world in D4 is very big and there are still grasslands, westmarch, the desert and other places to visit. I am 100% positive there will be a lot more color than this initial start.
Level 23, Act 1 cleared. Still a few dungeons to explore and yeah, some nice variations in the dungeons I’ve seen so far. The drabness of the main world isn’t a major criticism, I just like a bit more colour. One benefit though is that the spots of colour really show up nicely on my OLED in contrast to the greys.

I played Rogue because that’s the class I knew I wouldn’t be interested in at launch. I’m now considering maining rogue! Ranged spec with traps and poisons build, and it’s fucking great!

Last edited:
Level 23, Act 1 cleared. Still a few dungeons to explore and yeah, some nice variations in the dungeons I’ve seen so far. The drabness of the main world isn’t a major criticism, I just like a bit more colour. One benefit though is that the spots of colour really show up nicely on my OLED in contrast to the greys.

I played Rogue because that’s the class I knew I wouldn’t be interested in at launch. I’m now considering maining rogue! Ranged spec with traps and poisons spec, and it’s fucking great!
I've tried all the classes. They all play very well and are fun in their own ways. My least favorite is usually a caster, so the Sorceress. However, I've leveled one to 13 last night with a friend. I went shocking/electro abilities and he went fire, very good stuff and was fun.

I also didn't care for a rogue, made one anyways and I love the arrows/bow builds. Enjoed the rogue a lot more than i thought i would. I am gonna end up playing all classes to the max on HC.

Can't wait till next week - Druid is the one I been eyeing since the release. I think my mains are going to be Druid/Barb with Rogue being 3rd main. I wish they had a Paladin, but I know they confirmed they're adding more classes in future expansions. Crusader was my favorite in D3. Originally, a Druid was planned for the 2nd expansion of D3, but it was later confirmed that got scrapped, so they put a Druid in D4. Wise choice.

The wait for th3 full game will be true torment (pun intended).

Last edited:

Flintty

I've tried all the classes. They all play very well and are fun in their own ways. My least favorite is usually a caster, so the Sorceress. However, I've leveled one to 13 last night with a friend. I went shocking/electro abilities and he went fire, very good stuff and was fun.

I also didn't care for a rogue, made one anyways and I love the arrows/bow builds. Enjoed the rogue a lot more than i thought i would. I am gonna end up playing all classes to the max on HC.

Can't wait till next week - Druid is the one I been eyeing since the release. I think my mains are going to be Druid/Barb with Rogue being 3rd main. I wish they had a Paladin, but I know they confirmed they're adding more classes in future expansions. Crusader was my favorite in D3. Originally, a Druid was planned for the 2nd expansion of D3, but it was later confirmed that got scrapped, so they put a Druid in D4. Wise choice.

The wait for th3 full game will be true torment (pun intended).
I was originally thinking Necro as a main, but also keen to try Druid. I loved Crusader in D3, that’s gotta be one of the first DLC. I’d also like to see a warlock magic dark caster one day!

I was originally thinking Necro as a main, but also keen to try Druid. I loved Crusader in D3, that’s gotta be one of the first DLC. I’d also like to see a warlock magic dark caster one day!
I really enjoyed the Witch Doctor in D3. Summoning Zombie bears and explosive toads was great.

DavidGzz

Level 18. Taking my time exploring every path. I can't get over how much I love this. The rogue skills are amazing. So cool and inventive compared to other games of this type. Even pencil and paper RPGs skills aren't as cool as this shit. It's also the prettiest game of it's type in my opinion. I love how everything looks and the sound is soooo good. The story and voice acting are also top.

Last edited:
Top Bottom