• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Beta |Mini OT| READ THE OP

What would you rate Diablo IV

• 1 (Amazing)

Votes: 116 37.3%

Votes: 111 35.7%

Votes: 62 19.9%

Votes: 12 3.9%
  • 5 (Dreadful)

Votes: 10 3.2%

• Total voters
Im gonna miss this game so much. I intentionally skipped a bunch of content in act 1. Like lots of dungeons, barely did side quests and none of the forts just to save it for the main game and still had a lot of fun. Im between sorc and druid currently. Druid is weak in the beta but i still think its a fun character with a lot of potential
Hated druid at first but then last night I tried a lightning and tornado build and it was fun and much better dps wise. I might end up doing druid after all

of course people are trapped in nostalgia, this game would not even be made unless it was to advantage of that. That's what remakes, sequels, etc is all about nowadays.
They could have made a bran new game, but they chose to make Diablo IV, to get the nostalgic people to buy the game.
There's nothing wrong to be nostalgic about something, but to expect the same thing with just a new painted coat over it is absurd. He basically said he wanted diablo 2 to be made again

Minsc

Gold Member
To reach that point in D2, you had to grind. In D4, I was so inundated with potions that if I would literally never run out if I had to use them - which I didn't. I maybe used one or two potions throughout the entire time I was playing. I don't consider myself skilled at these games either.

Torment 2 or whatever its called. The highest available difficulty in the beta.

I played sorceress which is supposed to be an easier class, and I had some trouble, nothing serious, but I probably used potions every other mob fight. And the bosses I used potions multiple times, occasionally hitting below 25%. Generally though I try to fight more than one mob at a time as it's more time efficient to just let one mob chase you to another mob then destroy both, or wait until you get to someplace you need to fight.

L*][*N*K

Banned
I hit level 25 on my Druid and Rouge, really enjoyed the beta, didn’t have time to expirement and create builds just wanted to explore, this summer is going to be amazing.

Mossybrew

Cellars definitely need work. Terrible XP, terrible drops, just an identical room you go in and kill a few mobs. Very disappointing in the starting areas. Maybe though in harder difficulties they will start to shine as a quick encounter with some really hard mobs and a miniboss.

Yeah cellars seem entirely pointless, at least what this beta showed of them. Plus I don't like how their icon looks like an open laptop.

bender

What time is it?
Played through on sorc, higher difficulty. Was never remotely in danger once. Mechanically not very interesting, story is okay but style over substance, lacking depth. Not going to ever do the endgame loot grind since that’s just dopamine slavery, so it’s all about the core experience and story, but lukewarm on both.

Mostly my takeaway as well. Every encounter felt level, never got the rush from being overwhelmed or overwhelming. A good drop should swing the power curve but it feels like the level scaling just keeps everything status quo. I've been there day one for every Diablo release and I'll probably do that for D4 as well, but the beta killed off a lot of my excitement. Like you, I'm mostly there for the core experience and not the end game and what was presented in the beta was just wholly uninteresting.

amigastar

I just saw a video on Path of Exile 2 and i think Diablo 4 will make good use of my time until PoE 2 hits. I'm not really sure about the longevity of Diablo 4. I think they cater more around the casual/average players.

Last edited:
This is so far a GOTY for me. Prolly spent over 100 hours on beta alone. Everything else thats coming out this year, can fuck off and die in a fire. (Still wanna play Starfield and FF 16 though :p ) If Beta happened again next weekend, I'd delete all these toons and do it all again, instant classic for me.

25 Rogue on Hardcore
25 Druid on Hardcore
25 Necromancer on Hardcore
25 Barbarian on Hardcore

Enjoy the screenshots!

o8JpneT.jpg
DB11R8e.jpg

Kh0wRz4.jpg
qYOVLZs.jpg
VLoWa4m.jpg

Neofire

Had something harsh to say in the comments of that video. Dude was bitching entirely too much how the game wasn't perfect and thus it should be delayed. Anyone whos remotely in the know about diablo knows that things are always rocky at release.

He came off as entitled. With the "Well the game isn't exactly this way so it should be delayed " type of attitude.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
This is so far a GOTY for me. Prolly spent over 100 hours on beta alone. Everything else thats coming out this year, can fuck off and die in a fire. (Still wanna play Starfield and FF 16 though :p ) If Beta happened again next weekend, I'd delete all these toons and do it all again, instant classic for me.

25 Rogue on Hardcore
25 Druid on Hardcore
25 Barbarian on Hardcore

Enjoy the screenshots!

o8JpneT.jpg
DB11R8e.jpg

Kh0wRz4.jpg
qYOVLZs.jpg
VLoWa4m.jpg
I feel you...excited for June for sure.

Also gotta admit that while I have already spent ~1200 bucks on games for that month I think the only thing I am going to play is D4. I was so hyped for SF6...but dem item drops and fancy gears are too much of a draw for me.

FF16 looking REAL sharp as well...

Antwix

So I finally tried controller in a Diablo game after all these years. And it's definitely a comfy way to play. However, I do think it lacks some of the nuance that kb/m brings especially relating to ranged classes. You just can't cast things exactly where you want them to go. You want a hydra over there in that corner? Sure. You want a hydra between 2 mobs for optimal efficiency? Nope. Say you want to kite a mob and cast meteor (if meteor was actually good) to land perfectly on a mob while running around. You can't. I was surprised though as it did seem pretty intuitive. I'm sure it'd be perfect for a melee class. Just some random QOL things were lacking too such as not being able to move as well as be in your inventory to drop items for example.

Warablo

I enjoyed the beta, but I feel like a lot of it was copy and paste. Which I guess D2/D2R basically had a lot of that, but I didn't mind that. Kinda strange I notice it more in this though.

I guess the bosses were kinda all samey and nothing seemed distinct.

Also it rains too much loot and nothing feels unique. They should bring back uniques with a separate color.

Last edited:

iHaunter

25 Rogue on Hardcore
25 Druid on Hardcore
25 Barbarian on Hardcore

Enjoy the screenshots!

o8JpneT.jpg
DB11R8e.jpg

Kh0wRz4.jpg
qYOVLZs.jpg
VLoWa4m.jpg
This is my BAE. Mostly wearing legendary stuff.

image.png

Last edited:
The story aspect are way better. So I firmly disagree. The CGI is also incredible. This feels like a more dark diablo, like Diablo II. And I'm for it.
100% agreed. Nice necro btw! Hardcore or regular?

I am so torn on which class ima start first, I liked them all for different reasons with the exception of Sorc. I do not think Sorc is a bad class by any means or anything. I think they're all designed well, I just find it least fun to play for my taste.

Barbarian I don't think is as bad people say it is. I went with Lunging Strike and Upheval for the core build with iron skin and a war cry that buffs dmg. Also, took death blow as well. It was enough to take me through 25 levels of hardcore. Some basic skills do need to be buffed.

I think druid is extremely versatile and has many different play styles. But the base damage for majority of the skills is hot doo doo. I went with Lighting Storm and played around with pulverize. I found both fun, but the spirit regen is an issue, especially at early levels.

Rogue feels most balanced and is kind of in a middle, reslly enjoyed her. I went with a shadow imbue range build.

Necro is the EZ mode class, everything just destroys, insane AoE and crazy minion damage.

I did all of the leveling on World Tier 2 from level 1 to 25 on Hardcore. Meaning I've played the beta on its max difficulty capacity. I wanted the ultimate challenge, it's the best way to learn from your mistakes and truly feel out the classes and give you a good sense of difficulty balance and class balance.

Only rolled Eternal toons to help friends.

How was all of yours experience?

Luipadre

I enjoyed the beta, but I feel like a lot of it was copy and paste. Which I guess D2/D2R basically had a lot of that, but I didn't mind that. Kinda strange I notice it more in this though.

Also it rains too much loot and nothing feels unique. They should bring back uniques with a separate color.

legendary drop rate was like 300% up in the beta compared to the full game

Uniques and Sacred/Ancestral exist in Diablo 4. Those have been confirmed for end game. How does it rain too much loot? You will out level the early levels anyways. Regular legendaries are not as good as Sacred or Ancestral legendaries and are much more rarer. Stop basing off itemization off 25 levels of the game dude. Runewords are also coming back.

iHaunter

100% agreed. Nice necro btw! Hardcore or regular?

I am so torn on which class ima start first, I liked them all for different reasons with the exception of Sorc. I do not think Sorc is a bad class by any means or anything. I think they're all designed well, I just find it least fun to play for my taste.

Barbarian I don't think is as bad people say it is. I went with Lunging Strike and Upheval for the core build with iron skin and a war cry that buffs dmg. Also, took death blow as well. It was enough to take me through 25 levels of hardcore. Some basic skills do need to be buffed.

I think druid is extremely versatile and has many different play styles. But the base damage for majority of the skills is hot doo doo. I went with Lighting Storm and played around with pulverize. I found both fun, but the spirit regen is an issue, especially at early levels.

Rogue feels most balanced and is kind of in a middle, reslly enjoyed her. I went with a shadow imbue range build.

Necro is the EZ mode class, everything just destroys, insane AoE and crazy minion damage.

I did all of the leveling on World Tier 2 from level 1 to 25 on Hardcore. Meaning I've played the beta on its max difficulty capacity. I wanted the ultimate challenge, it's the best way to learn from your mistakes and truly feel out the classes and give you a good sense of difficulty balance and class balance.

Only rolled Eternal toons to help friends.

How was all of yours experience?
Hey,

I just did regular since I didn't have much time to play and didn't want to risk restarting. But the game itself wasn't toooo hard. But it was just Veteran difficulty. I thought Sorc was fun. But you're right, Necro is a little OP. But it was fun to play. I always play Necro in Diablo. I went for Bone Spear + Skeleton Crit build. Was very fun!

Yes, it was raining loot, because loot drop rate was purposely increased for the beta.

Last edited:

NT80

This. Hilarious to me that people are now saying D2 is difficult, it's pure nostalgia. It was so easy to farm and finish the game even on hell
D2 on normal is medium difficulty to fairly challenging for a new player. Much harder than this beta even if going by act 1. Hell mode is brutal if you haven't got really powerful gear and optimized well with most builds.

Poppyseed

Finally got to play this last night and this morning. Absolutely in love, and can't wait for the final release. On my 13700K/4090 desktop it ran beautifully maxed out. On my 13900HX/4080 (12GB VRAM) laptop I had to set the textures to Medium to avoid awful stuttering. Definitely something is funky with the way this game is using video memory.

Anyway, other than that, roll on the final. Can't wait.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
Man I had so much fun with this beta, it just did everything right for me. The classes were all fun, the gameplay was fantastic, the atmosphere of the world was amazing, the dungeons were GORGEOUS in a terrifying way.

I got every class to level 25, Rogue and Barb were probably my favorites as far as play style. Druid was a lot of fun too with a werewolf build but felt a little lacking in power at level 25 compared to Barb and Rogue. Rogue was an absolute blast to play, I didnt expect to enjoy that much. Dashing in with shadow imbuement, nuking everything with flurry, then dashing out and mowing down the survivors with the bow machine gun skill (Rapid Fire?) was freakin awesome lol.

Sorc felt insanely OP, but still lots of fun. Only knock I might have is that Necro was so easy it almost felt brain dead to play. I cleared an entire Dungeon (Lights Watch) just letting my minions run around and kill everything, and I didnt have the Golem yet either. Just skelly mages and warriors. I honest to God didnt press a single attack button the entire time, not even on the boss. I was playing on World Tier 2 also. That class basically just plays itself. But I have a feeling it'll get tougher late game for them when your skeletons can actually be killed by tougher enemies.

Overall though, absolutely loved it. 10/10 from me with just a few balancing and connectivity tweaks.

I even got my buddy to try it and hes never really played an ARPG, hes a CoD bro through and through but he fuckin loved it too. Friday night we played till 4am and didnt even notice lol.

June is going to be a loooong time coming. I might have to get the D2 remaster to scratch the itch till then.

Edit - One more thing, it did feel super easy even on World Tier 2 with a group. Maybe its because they had the gear drops bumped up for the beta and everyone was in uber gear, or maybe they still need to implement some balance tweaks. But in a group of 4 we face rolled everything all the way through. And we weren't even optimizing builds or anything just picking what we thought sounded cool. But it made me yearn for a world tier 3 to feel a little bit of some danger from enemies if youre in a full party.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Yeah, I played them all. Before the beta, watching the rogues skills and gameplay made me very excited and it ended up being my favorite class easily. Rogue will remain my favorite until paladin appears. I don't know if I'll like paladin more but I do love sword and board and the idea of holy powers in a dark Diablo world.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I really like the mastery system for the world events, but I think they could be expanded on. For each event, if you complete the mini-objectives (kill all waves before time runs out, activate all switches, don't let NPC companions die, etc), you get a better reward. I think this could be expanded upon in the dungeons as well in order to promote gameplay balance and engagement.

For example, it is time optimal to not even finish most dungeons. Just enter, kill all the elites, reset dungeon, repeat. If the dungeon complete rewards were better, and scaled based on mini-objective completions, then there would be more reason to finish them. One thing in particular would be to add penalties for dying. I have a lot of respect for the Hardcore experience of Diablo, but you can replicate that to some extent in the Softcore mode by having greater punishments for dying. Right now, it only costs gold, so you can play sloppy and neglect survivability with little downside. If your dungeon clear chest got nerfed because you died, though, that would encourage you to pay attention more.

Yeah, I played them all. Before the beta, watching the rogues skills and gameplay made me very excited and it ended up being my favorite class easily. Rogue will remain my favorite until paladin appears. I don't know if I'll like paladin more but I do love sword and board and the idea of holy powers in a dark Diablo world.
Yeah, Rogue is fun for sure. My main D3 was Crusader when it launched.

I am very curious if Paladin/Crusader is the 1st class that's coming back. I am gonna assume it will be. Hammerdin is just too much of a classic in D2.

Also, with the story being based around believing into Light all the time it would be strange to NOT have a light-based lore class next.

Blizzard did confirm several expansions and classes ahead of the game's release. I am really curious to what they could be.

Paladin is already an obvious one.
Necromancer and Druid already exist in base game.
Barbarian and Sorc are always in every game by default.

I wonder if Witch Doctor would make sense? Necromancer and Witch Doctor did co-exist in D3 and they were very different despite them both being minion based.

I don't think Demon Hunter will happen. Rogue is basically the new demon hunter mixed with Assassin.

Amazon maybe? But I am not sure. Or would it be something completely new? What do you think?

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
When the game comes out, I'm going to use a necro. Seemed like a good class during the beta. And I never used one in older Diablo games. I'm sure the difficulty will ramp up, I plowed through my game time with a wall of skeletons shooting bone splinter bolts. There's so many health orbs and raising skeletons from dead bodies seem practically limitless.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
My plan for release is to start with Necromancer because their progression doesn't need good gear. Then I'll get good Barbarian gear and make a Barbarian. After a lot of testing, Barbarian is actually pretty busted even in the beta, but it is HIGHLY gear dependent.

End game barbs are going to be fricking ridiculous.

DavidGzz

I am very curious if Paladin/Crusader is the 1st class that's coming back. I am gonna assume it will be. Hammerdin is just too much of a classic in D2.

Also, with the story being based around believing into Light all the time it would be strange to NOT have a light-based lore class next.

Blizzard did confirm several expansions and classes ahead of the game's release. I am really curious to what they could be.

Paladin is already an obvious one.
Necromancer and Druid already exist in base game.
Barbarian and Sorc are always in every game by default.

I wonder if Witch Doctor would make sense? Necromancer and Witch Doctor did co-exist in D3 and they were very different despite them both being minion based.

I don't think Demon Hunter will happen. Rogue is basically the new demon hunter mixed with Assassin.

Amazon maybe? But I am not sure. Or would it be something completely new? What do you think?

I can see Monk instead of Amazon given the ability to select either gender and since we probably won't get Assassin given the Rogue exists and we don't have a fist/fist weapon class yet.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didn't overchallenge myself in D3, but I focused on a crusader. I forget where I ended up. I think my character was level 200-ish.

I didn't even bother using fancy abilities and shit. I literally just spammed Smite, Shield Block, Shield Glare, the purple tornado, and the grey ancient warriors.

My gear became so good I could spam 4 warriors (instead of two) at longer time and reduced cooldown, so I could literally spam them every second of game time.

DavidGzz

Animation cancelling is in this game, apparently.

Woah, I wonder if that is why they got rid of force move on scroll wheel. I was watching a streamer who advised he could assign force move to mouse scroll wheel during the closed beta and could not longer the last two weekends.

My plan for release is to start with Necromancer because their progression doesn't need good gear. Then I'll get good Barbarian gear and make a Barbarian. After a lot of testing, Barbarian is actually pretty busted even in the beta, but it is HIGHLY gear dependent.

End game barbs are going to be fricking ridiculous.
Unlimited WW seemed quite entertaining. Most builds in D4 will likely center around being able to unlimited spam one skill all the time, in the grand tradition of Diablo.

I can see Monk instead of Amazon given the ability to select either gender and since we probably won't get Assassin given the Rogue exists and we don't have a fist/fist weapon class yet.
Oh god. No thanks, I really couldn't stand Monks. They felt very out of place to be honest man. My least favorite class out of all the Diablo games I've played. They were well designed, I just didn't like their thematic.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unlimited WW seemed quite entertaining. Most builds in D4 will likely center around being able to unlimited spam one skill all the time, in the grand tradition of Diablo.
Fun times lol. I'm glad you got to see it in action. About 1.5 legendaries per dungeon run, with an average completion time of 12 minutes, and an inventory full of rares that sells for about 50K. That's like about 7-8 legendaries per hour. If the drop rates in beta are inflated 300%, then at release one could expect around 2-3 legendaries per hour?

DavidGzz

Oh god. No thanks, I really couldn't stand Monks. They felt very out of place to be honest man. My least favorite class out of all the Diablo games I've played. They were well designed, I just didn't like their thematic.

That's how I feel about the Witch Doctor. Monk was my main. But I come from D1 and Monk was a Hellfire class so technically part of Diablo longer than even the Barb. Only Rogue, Sorc, and Warrior are older.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If I had more time in the beta, I was going to add overpower to my build for boss one-shots. There's a legendary that guarantees an overpower after 9 weapon switches. With my infinite WW barb, I'm also essentially at 100% crit chance too, so crit + overpower + fortify = hella fucking damage.

I only played Rogue and thought it was cool. Might try Necromancer out as a secondary character. Won't fuck about with the others until seasons probably.

The beta was fun and I tried avoiding as much as possible. I just wanted to give it a shot and get to lvl 20 for the lil good boy reward.

I have the Ultimate Edition on preorder (preordered before beta). It's Diablo and I know I'm gonna get more than my moneys worth. It's a beta of what is basically the first 5 minutes of the game so I find it silly that people are shitting on it. At least wait until endgame/seasons and I might take you seriously. And this is a game that'll be around for 10+ years so shit is gonna change.

June feels so long away. Gonna play D2R until then.

That's how I feel about the Witch Doctor. Monk was my main. But I come from D1 and Monk was a Hellfire class so technically part of Diablo longer than even the Barb. Only Rogue, Sorc, and Warrior are older.
Wasn't Warrior basically a different name for Barbarian though? Never played Hellfire, had no clue there was a Monk in there lol.

DavidGzz

Wasn't Warrior basically a different name for Barbarian though? Never played Hellfire, had no clue there was a Monk in there lol.

For someone like me with a D&D background, Warrior or Fighter are separate from Barbarian. They are essentially like a Paladin(heavy armor sword/board) without the holy aspect while Barbarian is more like a feral/savage who wears lighter armor and dual wields something like an axe or club.

Last edited:
For someone like me with a D&D background, Warrior or Fighter are separate from Barbarian. They are essentially like a Paladin(heavy armor sword/board) without the holy aspect while Barbarian is more like a feral/savage who wears lighter armor and dual wields something like an axe or club.
That's sounds like more of a subjective/personal thing. I highly doubt that Diablo is based of DND. It's kind of its own thing and its own universe. Because then, you can just easily say that any fantasy game is = DND lol which is 100% not the case.

Last edited:
That's sounds like more of a subjective/personal thing. I highly doubt that Diablo is based of DND. It's kind of its own thing and its own universe. Because then, you can just easily say that any fantasy game is = DND lol which is 100% not the case.
Yeah, barbarians can be many things. In Everquest for example they were a race, pretty much Northmen

Top Bottom