• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo IV Pre-Launch Thread of lore, news and beta withdrawl

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Will this launch the same way as D2 resurrected will? As in servers getting hammered and having to wait 20minutes to play etc? Also is there any point of the battle pass if you are just playing through the normal story?
The purchasable battlepass is all cosmetics iirc

Honestly the servers getting crushed is a main reason I bought the 4 day early access hoping to get a decent jump before the crush

Antwix

Lots of good theorycrafting ideas from Kripp, for anyone considering sorcerer.

so i finally watched this video over the course of the last 3 days.

tldw :
-damage +% to vulnerable and damage +% while healthy are the best stats in the game regardless of class due to being in their own "bucket" so they are multipliers instead of additive
Capture.jpg
Untitled.jpg

-therefore, for example, imbiber (+% while healthy) is an OP glyph for sorc paragon board
-he goes on about the differences between 1H+offhand vs 2H staff for sorc. my opinion is that it wont matter too much until end end endgame since you'll be getting new/better gear every few levels.
-paragon board takes a crazy amount of thinking and preparation to min/max.
-instead of the lightning/stun build he was thinking of using, he is now going to be using a firewall/meteor build that focuses on increasing lucky hit and cooldown reduction
-I missed this during the betas, but the frozen bolt enchantment is pretty interesting. It applies chill to damage you deal so even if you're casting fire, it'll apply chill to enemies.
-the last half of the video is him just going thru/pathing his paragon board for his build.

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores

tldw :
-damage +% to vulnerable and damage +% to healthy enemies are the best stats in the game regardless of class due to being in their own "bucket" so they are multipliers instead of additive
Capture.jpg
Untitled.jpg

-therefore, for example, imbiber (+% to healthy enemies) is an OP glyph for sorc paragon board
-he goes on about the differences between 1H+offhand vs 2H staff for sorc. my opinion is that it wont matter too much until end end endgame since you'll be getting new/better gear every few levels.
-instead of the lightning/stun build he was thinking of using, he is now going to be using a firewall/meteor build that focuses on increasing lucky hit and cooldown reduction
-I missed this during the betas, but the frozen bolt enchantment is pretty interesting. It applies chill to damage you deal so even if you're casting fire, it'll apply chill to enemies.
-the last half of the video is him just going thru/pathing his paragon board for his build.
Yup, as it is in Diablo 3 and many other games, the best pathway to overall damage is to maximize the quantity and variety of multiplicative damage buffs on your character, since they scale a lot better than additive damage buffs in most cases.

Here's the link to the spreadsheet

Minsc

Gold Member
Will this launch the same way as D2 resurrected will? As in servers getting hammered and having to wait 20minutes to play etc? Also is there any point of the battle pass if you are just playing through the normal story?

Battle pass is separate. You will have ~90 tiers of rewards to unlock in season play or something, as you level and achieve feats. Not needed for the story (in fact it's better and an option to skip the campaign entirely when doing seasons), but if you are interested in more than just the campaign, season play mixes it up a bit with new items to get and keep and sometimes new rules and a deadline to finish it all in too.

Servers were 100% fine in the server slam, so I'd expect the initial period before the main launch to be the same. First weekend will not be great I'd wager - probably 30 minute queues.

Tomeru

tldw :
-damage +% to vulnerable and damage +% while healthy are the best stats in the game regardless of class due to being in their own "bucket" so they are multipliers instead of additive
Capture.jpg
Untitled.jpg

-therefore, for example, imbiber (+% while healthy) is an OP glyph for sorc paragon board
Are there no elemental ailments (a-la burning and such like in poe)? Is the only route to dealing damage be only big hits?

How do you guys feel about T1 and T2? All this shit about T2 not being worth it, I kind of agree but for gameplay, I think playing T2 is better. I was already crushing ennemies with my druid in T2 last test, would be pretty boring in T1.

So what tier you'll be playing?

Ultimate Edition has been pre ordered a long time ago. early access is midnight so i won't be playing until Friday night.

i'm just excited to get into the game again. Not interested in the best builds or any of that shit. Going to take my time with the campaign. I skipped all the dialogue/cutscenes in the beta so I could enjoy them at launch. Only played the beta enough to get the wolf puppy boy. Could've played the server stress but it was just the same content so no reason to play it.

Reactions: Isa

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
How do you guys feel about T1 and T2? All this shit about T2 not being worth it, I kind of agree but for gameplay, I think playing T2 is better. I was already crushing ennemies with my druid in T2 last test, would be pretty boring in T1.

These are my recommendations.

Solo Druid or Barb - WT1 at the start, change to WT2 about 10 to 15 levels in if things get too easy.
Solo Sorc, Rogue, or Necro - You can probably do WT2 from the start, but if things get too hard, switch to WT1 of course.
Any kind of party play - WT2 since playing in a party makes things a lot easier.
I just want to complete the campaign as fast as possible - WT1 all the way, of course.
The challenge of the journey is the most important thing to me - WT2 all the way until WT3 and WT4.
I am a gigachad gamer who crushes everything I touch - WT2 all the way until WT3 and WT4,

Calverz

Battle pass is separate. You will have ~90 tiers of rewards to unlock in season play or something, as you level and achieve feats. Not needed for the story (in fact it's better and an option to skip the campaign entirely when doing seasons), but if you are interested in more than just the campaign, season play mixes it up a bit with new items to get and keep and sometimes new rules and a deadline to finish it all in too.

Servers were 100% fine in the server slam, so I'd expect the initial period before the main launch to be the same. First weekend will not be great I'd wager - probably 30 minute queues.
Thank you for explaining this. I'm only really interested in playing through campaign a few times with different classes.

I play a lot of COD so I usually grind their battle passes. Dont think I can manage that in two games lol

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Solo Druid or Barb - WT1 at the start, change to WT2 about 10 to 15 levels in if things get too easy.
Solo Sorc, Rogue, or Necro - You can probably do WT2 from the start, but if things get too hard, switch to WT1 of course.
Any kind of party play - WT2 since playing in a party makes things a lot easier.
I just want to complete the campaign as fast as possible - WT1 all the way, of course.
The challenge of the journey is the most important thing to me - WT2 all the way until WT3 and WT4.
I am a gigachad gamer who crushes everything I touch - WT2 all the way until WT3 and WT4,
If you are in a group...roll what you want and play either teir. Co-Op D4 betas was a blast and, outside of the server slam level 30 Keep (which we finished....with several wipes), deaths were limited.

As a druid I soloed all act 1 on t2 without any problems. I'll probably keep going T2

Last edited:

Tomeru

My only real issue for now is that I have to play two weeks (or so) and then make a new seasonal character. That'll blow all the air outtamy sails...

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
I bet we gonna have queues of 3 hours launch week.
I doubt it. The entire point of the betas in recent weeks was to dial in the servers.

Early access queue at launch hour will be an hour or less. Will drastically fall off after an hour or two. Launch day for everyone else will be about the same.

Antwix

Are there no elemental ailments (a-la burning and such like in poe)? Is the only route to dealing damage be only big hits?
I'm not sure how it works in poe but the only damage dealing ailments are burning, poison, and bleed off the top of my head. Paragon nodes definitely exist to increase your damage with all of these but it's hard to know how well any build will scale into the endgame.

Ozzie666

The first 20-25 levels make it really hard to appreciate most the classes, it's too small of sample size especially without the right gear. Still leaning towards Rogue, Druid or Barb. Druid was so solid and felt 'safe', but the Rogue DPS was intoxicating for sure. I'll be grouped a lot with a Sorcerer or Necromancer. Anyone has strong opinions on Rogue or Druid? I have a week to work on 'names' too.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I didnt test our Druid during the first beta, but for that class is the whole thing basically just morph into a bear or werewolf and slash away? Or is there more to the class. That's all I remember seeing in videos.

If you are in animal mode, does your weapons and armour worn carry into it? Im assuming yes. Or are items ignored and the animal has it's own stats and damage?

Tomeru

I'm not sure how it works in poe but the only damage dealing ailments are burning, poison, and bleed off the top of my head. Paragon nodes definitely exist to increase your damage with all of these but it's hard to know how well any build will scale into the endgame.
Oh so I can burn and bleed in D4 too? Thats great, more options is great, even if we still don't know how viable they are.

So either Blizzard just faked almost every question in their recent Q&A, or the "game journalist(s)" they were working with at Future Games Show just faked all the questions that they gave Bilzzard to answer. Either way, pretty embarrassing and lame.

Last edited:

DavidGzz

Definitely 2. I am a solo player and don't care if it's slower or less efficient and I don't want to just walk through all challenges. I want to take my first campaign playthrough in.

These narrated lore videos have me itching for more. Reminds me when I was obsessed with Diablo 2 and bought the book series about the dark wanderer. Really hope Diablo 4 brings that feeling back and I can get excited about the story again after the mediocre path taken in Diablo 3.

I do hope they add a damage counter to the world bosses so when your group is done you can see an ordered list of the 12 players and % of total health each player accounted for. Would be pretty sweet for the top 3 simply to have their names and how much they're carrying front and center.
Eww no thanks. That sounds terrible.
Next up we'll have damage meters, gear scores and all the other crap that goes with it. This ain't an MMO!

Sanepar

I doubt it. The entire point of the betas in recent weeks was to dial in the servers.

Early access queue at launch hour will be an hour or less. Will drastically fall off after an hour or two. Launch day for everyone else will be about the same.
I played wow for years. Every new release was a queue hell.

Purchased some battle net balance yesterday night to preorder, still waiting on it to update. Activision Blizzard are so shit, they can't even take my money properly!

• LOL
Reactions: Isa

DavidGzz

I played wow for years. Every new release was a queue hell.

Yeah, they will ramp up advertising and it won't be on the weekend of Zelda, Mother's Day, or a second beta that is even worse than the first which killed a lot of boners. This is the full release. There will be queues for sure.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Purchased some battle net balance yesterday night to preorder, still waiting on it to update. Activision Blizzard are so shit, they can't even take my money properly!
If you did it through PayPal, it's gonna take a while. If you used your credit card, it should be fast.

I didnt test our Druid during the first beta, but for that class is the whole thing basically just morph into a bear or werewolf and slash away? Or is there more to the class. That's all I remember seeing in videos.

If you are in animal mode, does your weapons and armour worn carry into it? Im assuming yes. Or are items ignored and the animal has it's own stats and damage?
Depends what build you use, what you describe is a morphing build but the Druid is basically a melee class with some morphing abilities.

In the build I plan to use, I just have one ability that will morph me temporarily into a bear (pulverize). The rest is all about melee with a two hander and CCing everything to maximise damage while fortifying myself with other skills

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Eww no thanks. That sounds terrible.
Next up we'll have damage meters, gear scores and all the other crap that goes with it. This ain't an MMO!

We already have all that, what do you mean? There's even a DPS rating and all equipment has scores / values assigned to them?

A simple summary of the top damage dealers after a world boss is no different than like the ranking screen you see in a Mario Kart rally. Obviously it wouldn't be for regular mobs and stuff, just the special fights that take teamwork and 10+ minutes.

Plus it's a good way for people who go the distance and carry everyone else to get noticed/appreciated when it may otherwise go unnoticed just how much damage that person put out.

Like when I fought the world boss in the Server Slam I had no clue who was actually the most responsible for killing it or which people were. I just knew it sure as hell wasn't me haha.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I have a question.

I remember reading in another thread that there will be a free battle pass with things like xp boosts.

How are those things accessed ?

Top Bottom