• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hey Guest. Check out the NeoGAF 2.2 Update Thread for details on our new Giphy integration and other new features.

Diablo IV vs Baldur's Gate III - Which are you more confident in turning out decent?

Which of these is more likely to turn out decent?

• Total voters

Nickolaidas

Jan 18, 2019
I'm as much of a Baldur's Gate fan as they come. I played the second in particular up to 7-8 times from start to finish, Throne of Bhaal included.
I still think the RTWP was the biggest flaw of the game, as it is for Deadfire, and being turn-based will only make it for a better battle system.
And I still remember very well how controversial the decision to "go real time because the market doesn't want turn-based games anymore" was when the two BG launched back then.
On top of that we had games like Temple of Elemental Evil proving that turn-based was the superior incarnation of D&D.
Or the recent Pathfinder Kingmaker that became an actual classic only when the [incredibly popular] turn-based mod was released.

Also, we get some fucking neat map layout with tons of verticality as a trade-off. Hard to not see it as a net plus.
Are you my brother from another mother?

• LOL
Reactions: Sentenza

Lanrutcon

Feb 19, 2014
Irrelevant
BG will be great to D&D players, and too much of a shock to BG fans.

D4 just has to be "ok" to actually succeed, given the way the franchise has gone.

Mozzarella

Aug 4, 2020
As a game probably Badlurs Gate 3, Larian did a good job with Divnity OS 2, but to be honest the way they handled Baldurs Gate 3 is not much faithful to the OG games, the new game look like Divnity 3 instead of Baldurs Gate, changes to atmosphere and gameplay imply that. Diablo 4 can also turn out to be great so its not really like a big difference in my choice here.

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
While it may not feel like Baldur's Gate or D&D, I'm fully confident that Larian will turn around a solid RPG.

Vaelka

Apr 1, 2019
Diablo 4 isn't even going to be a Diablo game.
I've talked with other people at great length about this so I don't want to go into it too much again I am kinda tired of it, but Diablo 4 is straying quite far away from being a Diablo game.
The open world and what looks to be more narrative driven with more cutscenes and climbing mechanics etc.
Even mounts ( wtf?).

It sorta makes me wonder if the devs even played D2 and understand how it played and why it was great.
Mounts alone renders so much of the unique move sets and itemization useless and I really hate watching my character climb ladders etc. A Diablo game should minimize the amount of time that it takes control away from your character, I really have no clue why they even put that shit into the game to begin with.

I am sure Diablo 4 is going to be a fun game, Blizzard always makes fun games even if you might think that they're not as good as the past ones.
I mean Diablo 3 is definitely more fun to play than Diablo 2, but it doesn't have the same magic as Diablo 2 and does a lot of things wrong. But Blizzard at least always nails the gameplay.
But I don't believe that Diablo 4 is going to feel like a Diablo game if they keep doing what they're currently doing.

In regards to Baldurs Gate I am pretty excited, but there's something that feels so off about the character designs to me.
The characters don't even look like '' adventurers '' to me they look so much like random NPC's.

BG3 because Larian has proven themselves worthy.

that D4 gameplay trailer in the OP was yawn inducing

The Diablo 4 gameplay was definitely a bit meh.
For me mainly because I am a Sorceress player tho and her spells looked weaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak.

Last edited:

Fuz

Jun 8, 2009
Cagliari, Italy
Neither.
I'm sure there will be people loving both of them, especially BG3.
But for me, they have zero appeal.
D4 will just be D3.5, an half-assed game riddled with the usual activision shit, dumbed down gameplay-for-everyone, ugly classes and still the wrong art style.
BG3 is just Divinity 3. I loved Divinity 1 and 2, but that's not what I want for BG3. Art style is off and I don't like the switch to turns - makes every encounter last way too long. Went to super hyped for the announcement to super bummed when we saw what it was.

Last edited:

Fbh

Dec 6, 2013
Baldur's Gate.
I agree it looks and seems to play too much like Divinity but at least that's a solid franchise so I don't mind if it feels like Original Sin 3.

Zero hype for Diablo 4. Blizzard games just don't really click with me, the last game they released that I liked a lot was OG Warcraft 3

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2015
I enjoyed D3 a lot more after RoS. Was it perfect? Nah. But I think they're on the right track with D4 taking more inspirations from 1/2. But I do think BG3 is on track to be more of a promising title. Could D4 still come around and be solid? Most definitely! But at this point and time it's hard to not feel more confident on BG3, and anything that isn't being handled by Blizzard.

cartman414

May 3, 2006
I’ll go with the biggest video game company in the world and the franchise that moved out of niche PC scene with their most recent iteration. Diablo III was fun as hell (no pun intended), even with widespread hacking (or maybe exactly because of it).

And was more middle of the road to begin with? I enjoyed Diablo III, but it's super simpy compared to the D:OSs and the BGs of the world.

I would argue when a game that has 6 people playing it on the entire planet, it's no longer relavent. They're disposable games.

Disposable games have their place, just as paper plates do, but I prefer dining on fine China...as most sophisticated gamers do.

You've got a funny ass idea of disposable bro. Does Bon Jovi getting more album sales and streams make them more vital than Sonic Youth?

BG3 will have a better story, and for turned based gamers it'll be better by default.

But for pure action, production values, smooth gameplay and replay value, D4 kills BG3.

Both games are in early stages, BG3 looks like a 360/PS3 game.

Diablo is largely repetitive. The action goes little further than click-click-bloody-click.

Ozzie666

Jun 27, 2020
I am kind of hopeful for Diablo IV, they really recovered well for Diablo 3 after a disastrous start. Diablo 3 ended up in a really good and fun place, addictive game play loop.