• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diabotical Kickstarter : Robot ArenaFPS a la Quake

Dodecagon

works for a research lab making 6 figures
Code:
kickstarter said:
DevilBot.jpg

Diabotical in a nutshell:
  • The best bits of the genre, improved and fine-tuned by ex-pros
  • Classic and new game modes for both solo and team play
  • Plenty of cosmetic customization
  • In-house engine, multi-user map editor and modding support
  • Extensive community and esport features
  • The game will be on Steam for Windows at around the $10-15 mark
  • 10-12 months left in development, closed beta asap
Lots more info on their ks page :
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/84288219/diabotical-by-the-gd-studio

NIN90

Not really digging the aesthetics but I'm probably gonna pitch in regardless. The world needs more Quake successors.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Game looks fun and I like James a lot but I have a strong moral opposition to the kickstarter model and I'm not breaking it now. I do hope the game succeeds tho.

Game is looking great, really hope it gets funded.

For some reason kickstarter is declining my card, haven't had trouble with it making other purchases lately :(

sanhora

Game looks fun and I like James a lot but I have a strong moral opposition to the kickstarter model and I'm not breaking it now. I do hope the game succeeds tho.

Can you elaborate on your strong moral opposition to the kickstarter model?

jabuseika

Man that initial video is so cringy.

Also, this is being made by 2GD?? Oh boy.

I hope it succeeds, just because we need more arena shooters.

54-46!

On paper it's exactly the same as Reflex, they even have customizable robot parts.

Early in development they were talking about customizing your robot to have different physics and such, not any more then since they said "no classes"?

NIN90

On paper it's exactly the same as Reflex, they even have customizable robot parts.

Early in development they were talking about customizing your robot to have different physics and such, not any more then since they said "no classes"?

He mentioned in the video that you can mod physics yourself (in a Steam Workshop sorta way I suppose) but I guess that's gonna be a server-wide thing then. For what it's worth, I think the prototype I played back in 2014 had multiple physics models, including vanilla Q3 and one with crouchsliding.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
Can you elaborate on your strong moral opposition to the kickstarter model?

I mean I'm not opposed to it existing and other people contributing, knock yourselves out. It's just a personal thing. I don't pay for promises, even if they're a "sure thing" where the game is in all likelihood coming out regardless of the amount of crowd funding it gets.

I don't feel like that's a very contentious stance to have on it.

As much as I like arena shooters, I think there are way too many out already for how few people seem to play them.

I'm mildly interested in this, but the beginning of that trailer on the kickstarter page was not very good. Also, I'm not quite into the look of the game, but I wouldn't say that it doesn't look good.

However, from what is shown, the movement in the game looks very smooth, reminds me of a slower Xonotic/Nexuiz, rather than classic Quake-style movement. Which is a very good thing to me.

Keasar

Hah, cool to see that they are working together with Stunlock studios on it, didn't know Battlerite had a gameplay trailer as well. :)

Adnor

Banned
As much as I like arena shooters, I think there are way too many out already for how few people seem to play them.

I'm mildly interested in this, but the beginning of that trailer on the kickstarter page was not very good. Also, I'm not quite into the look of the game, but I wouldn't say that it doesn't look good.

However, from what is shown, the movement in the game looks very smooth, reminds me of a slower Xonotic/Nexuiz, rather than classic Quake-style movement. Which is a very good thing to me.

We need at least one of them to be a success. Be it this, Unreal Tournament or (if it's good (I hope it's good)) Quake Champions. There are been a lot of games trying to replicate old-school arena shooters but they all have failed for some reason or another.

This looks much better than I expected. I guess the aesthetics will be a turn off for some people, but I personally like them a lot.

Having those funny bots avoids the CS problem with sponsors and spectating, while allowing for very visible customisation. That flat shading is also a very good compromise between eye candy and visibility.

What differentiates this from Toxikk, Ratz, Reflex, Nexiuz, etc?

This is a vanilla Quake III clone that will play very different to any of those games.

What a terrible trailer. The foundation of this looks good, but I hate the style of it. The round robots and "HAHA, 90s culture was EXTREME"-aesthetic is pretty lame.

LiQuid!

Could not make it past 3 mins into that trailer.

What a terrible trailer. The foundation of this looks good, but I hate the style of it. The round robots and "HAHA, 90s culture was EXTREME"-aesthetic is pretty lame.

Did you get to the part of the trailer where he literally apologizes for all the memes in the first 3 minutes of the trailer? I think it was made intentionally bad because they premiered it on Twitch and many of his followers follow James thru Dota, so it's full of bad Dota memes.

Grief.exe

That gameplay looks smooth, fast-paced, and fun.
I'm skeptical on $150,000 for 14+ development team and 12 months of development time, but seems like they have already been self-funding for longer than that already. Probably just looking for a cash infusion to ease the financial burden.

I may do the 35 pound tier one. I'm liking the look of it and also the fact it comes with 2 copies of this game and 2 of Battlerite. I'll wait a bit though.

Aselith

I mean I'm not opposed to it existing and other people contributing, knock yourselves out. It's just a personal thing. I don't pay for promises, even if they're a "sure thing" where the game is in all likelihood coming out regardless of the amount of crowd funding it gets.

I don't feel like that's a very contentious stance to have on it.

It's not. But describing that as a strong moral opposition is "wut" worthy.

bee

backed it earlier and watched the live stream, surprised but happy that it's made £35k in 6 hours or so

Rizific

I'm all for new arena fps games, but I don't want anything to do with kickstarter. Good luck, hope to play it when it releases.

nubbe

Well, given that people seem to hate the quakey multiplayer in DooM and Quake Live has not set the world on fire.
Not really seeing a bright future for this, since everyone has the hardest on for Overwatch

Any reason this particular attempt at "literally Quake 3 with some aesthetic changes and e-sports stuff tacked on" will succeed where the others haven't? Bums me out cause there's every reason to believe a fresh take on arena shooters that isn't just Quake or maybe UT would fare even worse than the straight clones.

Any reason this particular attempt at "literally Quake 3 with some aesthetic changes and e-sports stuff tacked on" will succeed where the others haven't? Bums me out cause there's every reason to believe a fresh take on arena shooters that isn't just Quake or maybe UT would fare even worse than the straight clones.

Actually, this is the first attempt at "literally Quake 3 with some aesthetic changes and e-sports stuff tacked on".

Looks pretty good. I wish James would refrain from dota2-ing and memefying the game's campaign but the movement looks terrific indeed. I might throw 10€ at it. I'm not sure if it gets funded though.

deleted

On the one hand, I like the style and I want an old school arena shooter that finds success in todays market.
On the other hand, I can't see this one having success. The trailer seems to target an audience, that doesn't seem interested in arena shooters to begin with. And even if it gets funded, it has to hold it's ground against the properly then more active communities of UT and Quake.

lasthed

Neo Member
Well, given that people seem to hate the quakey multiplayer in DooM and Quake Live has not set the world on fire.
Not really seeing a bright future for this, since everyone has the hardest on for Overwatch

people hate the haloy multiplayer of doom, don't know of which quakey doom multiplayer you're talking about

jediyoshi

Except part of what people disliked about Doom MP was where it deviated away from classic arena shooters, not the parts where it evoked it.

Top Bottom