• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DICE: Battlefield Bad Company will make a comeback

Courage

A third installment in the Battlefield: Bad Company franchise will happen, creative director Lars Gustavsson told reporters at a Battlefield 4 event, clarifying that it won't happen immediately because of the recent spate of newly announced Electronic Arts DICE-developed titles.

"My feeling is that I would love to do it. For me, when we started the company with 1942, it was really a work of passion," Gustavsson said. "And then we worked our way through the era of different wars, and I loved them all, like my little babies. When it came to Bad Company, it was creative freedom; don't take yourself too seriously.

"So I love it. I want to see it again. Whether it can happen
now with the newly announced Mirrors Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront... but we'll see," he said, referring to the new DICE-developed Mirror's Edge 2 and Star Wars: Battlefront titles that were announced for next-generation consoles during EA's E3 2013 press conference in June.

"But trust me, the Bad Company [team] isn't forgotten, they are just on a very long vacation," he continued. "So they are out there, they're coming back."​

In August, Frank Gibeau, president of EA Labels said that EA will rotate between three main shooter franchises going forward: Battlefield, Titanfall and Battlefront. The publisher's former strategy of alternating between the Battlefield and Medal of Honor series included Bad Company titles.

Developed by EA DICE for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, the jocular Battlefield offshoot series was first published in 2008. Its sequel, Bad Company 2, saw a release in 2010 followed by the Bad Company 2: Vietnam expansion pack that same year.​

http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/3/47...-franchise-will-make-a-comeback-says-director

Does that mean we'll be getting a Battlefield every year? Isn't DICE working on too many projects right now?​

Hrothgar

How did you get yearly Battlefield game from that response? He clearly indicates that it is unlikely to be made soon, with Mirror's Edge and Battlefront in the works.

Bishop89

dbry_yes_yes.gif

bfbc2 is probably my 2nd fav mp from this gen.
Enjoyed it FAAARR more than bf3.

Courage

How did you get yearly Battlefield game from that response? He clearly indicates that it is unlikely to be made soon, with Mirror's Edge and Battlefront in the works.

I'm just wondering how long it'd take then. Is this another Mirror's Edge situation?

DaciaJC

Gold Member
What's the point, besides the singleplayer? BF3 already played so much more like BC2 than BF2, the game it was supposed to be the "proper successor" to.

Jibbed

Bad Company 2 online back in the day on the 360.. man, it didn't get much better than that!

Still can't help being more hyped for Star Wars: Battlefront though, it's gonna be freaking insane.

frizby

+1 who prefers the Bad Company series to the BF series. Call it Battlefield light if you want, but BC2 had amazing maps, and I love that color scheme and variety.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
More Bad Company 1 dialog idiocy, less BC2 pseudo cool. They totally ruined Haggards character in the 2nd one.

i hope they go back to the style of BFBC1 if they do a singleplayer story. The more serious tone of the second game was booooriiiing.

Multiplayer was ace in both games though, still like BFBC2 MP more than BF3.

SHADES

Hopefully after BF4, Mirrors edge 2 & Battlefront, BFBC3 steps back in the rotation just to mix it up a little, don't think I could stomach BF3/4/5 without that Bad company satire.

Good news. Even though I played BF3 far more than BC2, BC2 was a far better game. Would love to see it take off like BF has.

Martian

Hmm BF3 felt like a successor to the BC games, so Im not sure what BC3 would bring?
Smaller scale warfare?

Or a true successor to BF2 (arcade-y style)

A new WW2 bf would be top as well!

Good because Battlefield 3 took all of the fun out. They have no fourwheelers or the ability to create a shit ton of C4. Also rush sucks in that game.

Timu

Great news, I love Bad Company 1 and 2 for their humor and gameplay, hope it comes a few years from now.

I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway Bad Company 2 was a major bummer (levels were way more linear, it wasn't as funny, and it completely ignored the ending of BC1) so I don't have much hope they won't screw this one up too.

Taurus

I'll believe it when I see it. Anyway Bad Company 2 was a major bummer (levels were way more linear, it wasn't as funny, and it completely ignored the ending of BC1) so I don't have much hope they won't screw this one up too.
Are you talking about single player mode? In a Battlefield game? Seriously?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

And Battlefield 5 in a year while they're busy working on DLC for Battlefield 4.

EA is milking DICE a little too hard since their engine (Frostbite) is the only noteworthy thing from EA in a while since they moved Criterion/Renderware to Need for Speed.

Top Bottom