• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
You'll need to seriously chill out if you want to keep your account here.

Sorry, I am generally accepting of most things, but I would put down money that 3/4s of the people submitting these 1 star reviews citing "broken systems" can be fixed within half an hour. It irks me.

derfybzh

Most of them are DOA , and their ps4 were not broken during transport ...

200 hundreds DOA consoles is a lot of them, I don't think that Amazon handle all of the sales for PS4 in America.

So it's a significant number in my humble opinion. I don't care about customers who are happy with their buying, it's fine for them and I'm happy for them. I care for people who waste 400 $ on a launch unit they will have a month later ...

The blame is not to be put on the consumers. Problem with HDMI Port: your tv is not up to date/change your hdmi port, problem with PSN, too many people (Yeah PSN is up and running for 50 millions clients with PS3)

I start to fear for my order. Because what I can say for sure is that more than 200 from Amazon are broken, all of the clients are not putting review as they should !

In France you can't put review on Amazon if you don't buy the goods, and worst they censor part of bad reviews.

- J - D -

While I doubt many console failures can be attributed to it, Amazon really did a lousy job packing the console. Nothing I enjoy more than opening the box to see those big air bag bubbles on one side of the box while the other is offered not even a minimum of protection.

Then again, the UPS driver left the box by the garage, in plain view of the street, to get soggy in the drizzle.

For the record, my PS4 does work, not that any of my headsets work with it, if you discount the BF4 error.

Still, it hasn't really been my day.

Yes, if I were to take the effort to write an Amazon review for the PS4, itd be less about the console (mine works fine) and more about Amazon's lazy packaging. All the air bags were placed on top of the ps4 box, where theyd be completely useless in in protecting the item.

Its the reason why I dont buy camera equipment from them.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Most of them are DOA , and their ps4 were not broken during transport ...

200 hundreds DOA consoles is a lot of them, I don't think that Amazon handle all of the sales for PS4 in America.

So it's a significant number in my humble opinion. I don't care about customers who are happy with their buying, it's fine for them and I'm happy for them. I care for people who waste 400 $ on a launch unit they will have a month later ...

The blame is not to be put on the consumers. Problem with HDMI Port: your tv is not up to date/change your hdmi port, problem with PSN, too many people (Yeah PSN is up and running for 50 millions clients with PS3)

I start to fear for my order. Because what I can say for sure is that more than 200 from Amazon are broken, all of the clients are not putting review as they should !

In France you can't put review on Amazon if you don't buy the goods, and worst they censor part of bad reviews.
Its not a significant number unless you know how many Amazon shipped out.

Racer1977

A "Hot" story on N4G links to Amazon, which is when the reviews started flying in.

As is stands -

249 5*

209 1*

Will be interesting to see if that ratio changes now the link has been posted here.

My PS4 is working fine. My brother received his from Amazon---DOA. I'm surprised though---my box was all beat to Hell. Once I got the first box open, there was a ton of bubble padding inside, but only in the top half. The PS4 box was sitting on the very bottom. It'd be packaged much better if there was the bubble wrapping on bottom and top. Seems to defeat the purpose if someone were to throw the box down on the side the PS4 is.

wotta

They are verified purchasers. At least most of them.

Really? Well how come being from the UK I just had this review verified? I did not buy a system.

5.0 out of 5 stars Please stop trolling - PS4 is worth a purchase, November 16, 2013
By Mr. J. Anderson "wotta"

This review is from: PlayStation 4: Launch Edition (Video Game)

Why do Amazon let people review a system when they don't own it? We all know that a large percentage of these reviews are from disgruntled Xbox One fans. It's a shame that people have to go to these lengths. The same will happen with Xbox One reviews too.

Please can you leave the reviews for those who are being genuine instead of trolling and abusing the excellent Amazon review system.

I guarantee that it's fanboys at work and I'mm 100% sure it'll happen with Xbox One too. People need to get a life.

Fusebox

Banned
I'm expecting Australian delivery of my PS4 from Amazon in a few days, gonna be a shit of a pain in the arse to deal with inter nation returns if I get a DOA unit.

~~Hasan~~

Not everyone who has a bad unit will write a bad review. Just like not everyone with a good unit will write a good review.

But its clearly there is a big percentage of broken ps4 when the number of bad reviewes equal the good number. And when ign/ kotaku and others are also getting bad units.

First it was the taco stuff. Now amazon. Anyone who think its 0.4% is just fooling him self. I wont be surprised if its around 10% to 15% of the units are DOA

and to be honest. This is not assuring at all after reading all these threads and the problems. Mine is being impored right now to KSA and i wish i didnt pre order in the first place fearing i will get a dud now.

Its kinda sad because i have good tracking records with sony from playatations to tvs. Sigh

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
While I can't say I entirely disagree with that you've been saying, I will say that it's in your best interest to tone it down. You don't want to get banned for something as stupid as petty remarks.

I agree that troubleshooting does not warrant 1 star, and that it's a stupid thing to say. Leaving it at that is best, though.

You're right. It's just incredibly personally irritating to me when people start to hop on this bandwagon of "some people are saying XXXXX doesn't work/is broken... let's start figuring out why it's a FAILURE!"

I apologize, but I think this is the equivalent of bombing metacritic for a game not being what gamers idealized. The failure rate is not 40%. If it was, this board would be unmanageable. There are 9 unique individuals in the actual failure thread - how many people visited this site today?

GavinGT

Banned
Really? Well how come being from the UK I just had this review verified? I did not buy a system.

I guarantee that it's fanboys at work and I'mm 100% sure it'll happen with Xbox One too. People need to get a life.

Your review does not have "Amazon Verified Purchase" above it, like many of these 1 star reviews have.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Yeah you are right , but for me it is. I barely see products with so much defect on Amazon France. But US is far bigger than France for sure

I don't imagine more than 5% (or some other comparably low number) of people who buy from Amazon leave reviews at all. I have a working Amazon PS4 and I'm not going to leave a review, probably ever. People who got broken ones are venting on Amazon because there isn't anyone else to vent to. This isn't new; this is how every product gets reviewed on Amazon, which is why relying on the reviews for practically anything is generally a fool's errand.

200 allegedly broken PS4s doesn't mean anything about either Amazon or Sony. Some failure rate is part of the consumer electronics business.

Not everyone who has a bad unit will write a bad review. Just like not everyone with a good unit will write a good review.

But its clearly there is a big percentage of broken ps4 when the number of bad reviewes equal the good number. And when ign/ kotaku and others are also getting bad units.

First it was the taco stuff. Now amazon. Anyone who think its 0.4% is just fooling him self. I wont be surprised if its around 10% to 15% of the units are DOA

and to be honest. This is not assuring at all after reading all these threads and the problems. Mine is being impored right now to KSA and i wish i didnt pre order in the first place fearing i will get a dud now.

Its kinda sad because i have good tracking records with sony from playatations to tvs. Sigh

You're relying on a faulty premise, which is that there's a roughly equal number of people who write good and bad reviews. Moreover, there isn't any statistically significant evidence to validate the statement "clearly there is a big percentage of broken ps4." There's just anecdotal evidence.

Cuyejo

I'm not saying those are fake reviews, but most of them are likely fake. Come on, don't be naive, there is a full fledged stupid console war going on...

wotta

While quite a few of those reviews are from purchasers, a lot a fake too. Also if Amazon sold say, 40,000+ units and only 265 broke, if that really that many?

- J - D -

It doesnt mean anything. If gaf thread sizes are something to consider, more people talk about stuff that makes them unhappy than people who talk about something theyre satisfied with. Even then, that is in no way a viable metric.

There are so many different variables that could affect the PS4's current rating on Amazon theres no way to know how accurate any of it is.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
The very reason why I find this thread and concept annoying/ridiculous:

1.0 out of 5 stars Hardware So Scary, November 15, 2013
By Justin Slimick - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
I will be returning this item due to the hardware issues. Buddy got his at midnight release and it was bricked out of the box. Not going to open mine.

One star because word of mouth made him afraid. Verified review.

~~Hasan~~

Im with you on that one as well.
Same here. What is also annoying that USA charges for customs when you return / send an item to inside US. Plus the time it takes for amazon to get the package then refund etc. so much pain really but its too late to complain. I am just praying mine is working good. Guess i will know for sure next week

I will be returning this item due to the hardware issues. Buddy got his at midnight release and it was bricked out of the box. Not going to open mine.

So his friends experience counts. I dont see the issue, it still shows a faulty console

Almighty

Reviews are worthless this early to tell anything in my opinion. At this point you are mostly going to get someone who loved the product and rates it a 5 because "it is the best ever" or you will get someone who had a problem of any kind and gives it a 1 "because it fucking sucks" The fact is we won't know the true failure rate for weeks, months, years, or even ever.

For what it is worth I got my PS4 from Amazon and it has worked perfectly all day so far. Chances are that I will never write a review for it and this is one of the few times I assume I am in the majority.

synce

Just CTRL+F "Amazon Verified Purchase", highlight all, and you'll see over half of these 1-star reviews are real. That's pretty bad. But if there's one thing I learned from last gen it's to avoid launch units :)

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
So his friends experience counts. I dont see the issue, it still shows a faulty console

I'm speechless.. you don't get to give a one star review as "verified" when your item hasn't even left its packaging because your friend's console is failing for some unspecified reason.

If it's not YOUR item that is faulty, don't leave a low review score ESPECIALLY if you plan on never even opening or trying the item before you send it back. How does that make sense at all?!

Even verified reviews doing that...those reviews just got even more worthless for this.

You're not reviewing your friend's purchase, you're reviewing yours. If you can't see the difference...

Yaari

Those reviews mean nothing. The PS4 has been on top sellers list all year. Obviously selling more than 500.

If your item breaks you are pissed, and rightfully so. If it does work, writing an Amazon review is the last thing on your mind.

The issue is no doubt much higher than 0.4, they wish it was. This really does not tell anything and the Xbox One will meet an equal failrate if not higher.

erawsd

Sorry, I am generally accepting of most things, but I would put down money that 3/4s of the people submitting these 1 star reviews citing "broken systems" can be fixed within half an hour. It irks me.

There's a 20 page thread on this forum with people who have been trying to fix this shit all day and haven't. And, quite frankly, they shouldn't have to. Mine is broken, I tried changing hdmi cables, I tried putting it into safe mode... its just flat out busted.

I put it back in the box and I'm sending it back to Amazon and they can keep picking them up and sending new ones until they give me one that works.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Grimløck;90090404 said:
Serious shit? What the fuck?

yup...I asked my cousin to keep on eye on the front gate...however he didn't hear UPS guy shout "UPPPPPPPPSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!" like usual despite the fact that he was inside the house with the windows open...

so pretty much that piece of shit from UPS didn't even bother to ring the bell and shout thus tossed it like nothing.

Luckily my ps4 is working fine even with the update.....no hdmi, hdd, etc problems whatsoever...

Pezking

If even 5% of all launch units were DOA, we'd already have a BIG thread about that running. The shitstorm around here would be gigantic. And I'm sure that way more than only 500 NeoGAF users have already received their PS4 from Amazon.

Amazon customer reviews are about as meaningful as YouTube comments.

Neff

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

Tak3n

Banned

Recommendations from friends/family plays a huge part in most peoples lives, so I would argue you are being a bit blinkered. These are the people we trust the most, so we value their opinion usually (not always) above others...

Unless your a teenager then you tend to do the complete opposite :)

But I do agree his review is invalid

Between PS4 and Knack I'm honestly starting to think that Cerny sold Sony a lie, and that he's way out of his depth considering the pedestal they (and we) have put him on. Or they (and we) were stupid and desperate.

There weren't even this many RRoDs on launch day. I have a very bad feeling about this.

#NeoGAF'sWorstPosts

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member
There's a 20 page thread on this forum with people who have been trying to fix this shit all day and haven't. And, quite frankly, they shouldn't have to. Mine is broken, I tried changing hdmi cables, I tried putting it into safe mode... its just flat out busted.

I put it back in the box and I'm sending it back to Amazon and they can keep picking them up and sending new ones until they give me one that works.

I am truly sorry for that, but the acceptable failure rate for electronics is between three and five percent. A 20 page thread on this forum compared to the 500k viewers that can appear is far below the ISO's acceptable failure rate.

Again, I'm sorry man. If it's any consolation, there's not much that you're missing at launch. But I am sorry and hope you have better luck..

Holy crap...I'd put a gif but this post is that bad that it's not worth it.

Mohonky

I'm expecting Australian delivery of my PS4 from Amazon in a few days, gonna be a shit of a pain in the arse to deal with inter nation returns if I get a DOA unit.

I dont get this.

I understand if it is significantly cheaper or months ahead of launch, but we're talking what, a 2 week wait? Why didnt you just buy ome locally? If it is DOA, you wont have a PS4 until after it is released locally, even if it breaks down in the first year.

Also dont forget in Australia statuatory warranty is lifetime, so if the console were to breakdown outside of what Sony (or any other company really) states, they are obligated by consumer law to fix or replace units even outside of what a manufacturer tells you is the warranty period.

Seems like a significant risk for little to no reward.

#ConsoleWar going on. A lot of fake reviews there I'd bet. If there really was a major issue of that scale then you'd see a LOT more gaffers raising that issue on here.

Revengineer

Unconfirmed Member

RRoDs were vicious because they happened just outside of the range where you could get a "coffin" from Amazon or the like. You had to deal with Microsoft and that was far more painful (speaking from experience).

Let's wait for 2-3 months before comparing the hardware issues to the RROD stuff

Rising_Hei

5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

Everyone who gets a broken PS4 rates with 1 star, most people with a working PS4 don't review

Is there any indication we're looking at a hardware (not firmware, or controllers going out, or w/e) defect rate above 5%?

I believe the 0.4% figure was pre-launch based on taco bell winners.

lolwut

Top Bottom