• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
If you need to troubleshoot something out of the box it deserves the single star.
Lol. What? Who is "inherently" masterful in using a PS4? Who has days or years of experience using one?

You have a new device on the market of which every single person with said device has been using it for like a day. I'm very technically proficient and even I had to look up to see what's up with the orange LED color when I went to standby (the fans were still exhausting and really who uses orange LEDs anymore? Seriously!)

Heck how many of those were "I went to update (when PSN was a nightmare) and my system just hung trying to update forever."

Krisprolls

Banned
No, they aren't. If anything [what I can only assume are] Sony fans are shouting to the sky that everything is fine when only a few are saying otherwise and they really don't have enough evidence either way. Everyone needs to wait this out before concluding whether it is or isn't a problem. Right now, it's worth monitoring fir sure.

Once again, anecdotal evidence shows there is zero widespread problems since on 1 million consoles out, you only got a handful of angry posters on GAF and maybe 200 unhappy guys on Amazon. We'd need 10.000 failed consoles to even reach 1%. So it looks okay.

If you don't have any evidence and we agree it happens with every console, then why is it worth mentioning ? You can make such a thread with every console.

Well, yeah, every consumer electronics has a small default rate on day one, it's <1%, Sony says <0.4 %.

Tux

wait a sec...

the fail rate for a first gen 360 was high, but at least you could play it for 4 months or so before it started happening....

these PS4's don't even work at first boot!

:|

Try play it for 4-18 months, then RROD, then get another, then RROD, then get another, then RROD, etc, etc…All this from a supply chain that was over 10 million; 33% to 54% failure rate.

I don't know how many times I've heard 360 brag that they went through "Five 360s." That's some dedication to Gears/Halo, I tell ya.

arttq

It's still weird that there are this many consoles broken out of the box. I assume they test every console at the factory before shipping them.

Elchele

Looks like having unpaid students doing the job wasn't the smartest idea eh!

It's still weird that there are this many consoles broken out of the box. I assume they test every console at the factory before shipping them.

why would you assume that? :lol

betterman

Banned
guys there are tons of PS4 already in the wild...700k ps4 maybe?

any eletronic system has a failure rate due to manufacturing process...any

codhand

it was poor packaging, in that it was 85% plastic bubbles, making me feel like an environmental doocher for not picking one up at a store.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
guys there are tons of PS4 already in the wild...700k ps4 maybe?

any eletronic system has a failure rate due to manufacturing process...any
People keep saying that but this seems more widespread to me. We go through new device launches all the time and it's super rare to see THIS many complaints so quickly.

jet1911

Once again, anecdotal evidence shows there is zero widespread problems since on 1 million consoles out, you only got a handful of angry posters on GAF and maybe 200 unhappy guys on Amazon. We'd need 10.000 failed consoles to even reach 1%. So it looks okay.

If you don't have any evidence and we agree it happens with every console, then why is it worth mentioning ? You can make such a thread with every console.

Well, yeah, every consumer electronics has a small default rate on day one, it's <1%, Sony says <0.4 %.

Did Sony release actual sale numbers?

Portugeezer

5 star: (239)
4 star: (21)
3 star: (9)
2 star: (11)
1 star: (204) - Most of the complaints were of broken PS4

0.4%? Really?

Edit: Looks like all of them so far

You don't have to buy on Amazon to be able to review it. I would take those 5* and 1* reviews with a grain of salt for now.

However, is this a firmware v1.5 issue?

neither

Stop making sense!
Let FUD be spread!

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
It's not just Amazon from what I've seen. It's a bit early to say either way too but the hardware thread has a lot of PS4's that aren't working for a variety of reasons and bought from many different places. Just have to wait and see I guess.

Atolm

Honestly I'm not too worried. All the reported problems seem to come from poor assembly lines (take into account the overworked and low-paid workers as well...), and that happens all the time in electronics. They will be fixed quickly.

Now, if those problems were a defect in design, like 360's RRoD or PS3 fat yellow light, it would be worrisome, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

sajj316

What I will say is the quality of how they shipped an expensive electronics device is crappy ... lack proper protection! If the PS4 is on one side of the box, it can be mishandled by Amazon and the carrier. 2 points of failure right there ...

Mine works fine thus far but I'm not happy about opening up the box to see it lacking air bubble protection! No more hardware purchases from Amazon! Period!!

Elchele

Except not everyone in the world posts in Internet when they have a faulty electronic device?
And there are much more people complaining in the Playstation official forum

The_Lump

Banned

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, just don't want it dismissed entirely just yet. One more thing I'll add though; we're also assuming all of those 1 million consoles have been switched on and extensively used? Many will be gifts, not used yet,not updated yet etc, and many who have problems won't have posted online about it. Another reason why conclusions can't be drawn yet. Those 360, PS3 and Wii figures being thrown around are all lifetime (effectively) not launch day.

My ps4 is fine but the box amazon shipped it in had 1 crushed corner and that led to a crushed corner of the retail packaging too, really hope no issues show up down the road

betterman

Banned
People keep saying that but this seems more widespread to me. We go through new device launches all the time and it's super rare to see THIS many complaints so quickly.

we don't have official numbers right now...it's just speculation...

you think it's widespread but me and others don't...no one can prove his point.

What I will say is the quality of how they shipped an expensive electronics device is crappy ... lack proper protection! If the PS4 is on one side of the box, it can be mishandled by Amazon and the carrier. 2 points of failure right there ...

Mine works fine thus far but I'm not happy about opening up the box to see it lacking air bubble protection! No more hardware purchases from Amazon! Period!!

Normally I wouldn't reply to something like this, but I feel the need to stand up for my employer a bit here... :)

Please keep in mind that it's November, which means as of right now somewhere around 1/2 of Amazon's warehouse employees are seasonal new-hires that are in their first or second week of working in Amazon. When I was at work the other day I heard calls on the radio of PS4 boxes being shipped out without dunnage, and the managers that found this were furious.

So please don't assume that this is the norm, unfortunately stuff like this will happen when you have people who are brand new packing up around 30,000 units in a matter of 24-36 hours to ship out. (And that was all from just one building!!)

Funny enough, back in 2005 I saw people dismiss the RROD incident as "isolated" and people mocked individuals who insisted it was a significant problem. I see the same thing happening in this thread, too. Time will tell, I guess, but I haven't seen an electronics product launch on Amazon with that many DOA's. (Which, BTW, I do not think the problems have anything to do with an "Amazon batch" or anything of the sort)

My Amazon PS4 is fine.

That said, they put about 6 feet of large bubble wrap in that box, bot only figured to put it on one side of the console which just so happened to be the top part of the box. So my console sat at the bottom of the box with no protection between it and whatever floor they threw it around on. Genuinely surprised it functions but whatever.

Elchele

Guys, the HDMI issue (the main more generalized issue) has nothing to do with Amazon. If the console was poorly stored/delivered it would have another kind of problem not a little piece of metal inside the HDMI port.

The problem comes from the manufacturing process in Foxconn.

Replicant

Please tell me Amazon US didn't send PS4 inside a large box filled with those useless plastic 'mini pillows'? Why is it so hard for them to use a proper bubblewrapper? When the item is damaged and must be returned, it'd cost more than what they'd spend on bubblewrapper.

PS4 aside, their packaging has always been THE WORST. I rarely received books that don't end up damaged/dented on one of its corner. DVD and Blu-ray boxes for some reason have these creases on the back plastic cover. I'm not even sure if it was like that before it was shipped or if it gets damaged during shipping. Steelbooks? Thank God, Amazon US doesn't sell them (unless it's a part of a special edition box) because they'd be dented or crushed to oblivion.

sajj316

Normally I wouldn't reply to something like this, but I feel the need to stand up for my employer a bit here... :)

Please keep in mind that it's November, which means as of right now somewhere around 1/2 of Amazon's warehouse employees are seasonal new-hires that are in their first or second week of working in Amazon. When I was at work the other day I heard calls on the radio of PS4 boxes being shipped out without dunnage, and the managers that found this were furious.

So please don't assume that this is the norm, unfortunately stuff like this will happen when you have people who are brand new packing up around 30,000 units in a matter of 24-36 hours to ship out. (And that was all from just one building!!)

Listen, I appreciate the frequency of packing and timeliness of delivery. However this is a massive release! All hands on deck! Wrap those condoms on ..

neither

Don't forget to mention the disintegrating controllers.
Let me have my moment!
it was fun while it lasted.

But yeah, I think it is concerning hearing about all these things at launch, but we should still take everything(as in how widespread these problems actually are) with a grain of salt until the European release, at least.
Will they get faulty ps4's too?
Who knows.
Only time will tell.

And remember, it's only the 1st day for this thing, everyone should chill if you're not ones with a faulty systems.
If not, y'all are just adding fuel to the fire.

tensuke

My amazon box was beat to shit. Console was fine though. Game discs in the same box had both discs loose.

My brother's box (Amazon, not ps4) had a HOLE punched through it, about two inches in diameter! Although my mom said she got a package from Sundance that looked ripped open, and our neighbor said she had an issue with something, so I think either we have a sneaky mailman, or the government stopped being subtle about checking our mail lol.

Both mine and my brother's consoles have worked great, and so did our friend's who has a Taco Bell console. Anecdotal and all, but maybe that can quell a few peoples' fears--I don't believe the issue is too widespread, I think with the internet and social media (and people with agendas), and the fact that happy users are less likely to bother with reviews, we're just seeing more posts because of this. And remember, don't trust ANY review on Amazon that doesn't say the customer bought it, 5-Star or 1-star.

The_Lump

Banned
Amazon UK have pretty good packaging usually. So that won't be an issue here, I hate when console boxes are damaged; I like keepin' 'em!

bishamonx

Neo Member
My Amazon PS4 is fine.

That said, they put about 6 feet of large bubble wrap in that box, bot only figured to put it on one side of the console which just so happened to be the top part of the box. So my console sat at the bottom of the box with no protection between it and whatever floor they threw it around on. Genuinely surprised it functions but whatever.

Exactly how mine was packed as well, but it's working perfectly.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.

I have to wonder if gravity didn't just force the PS4 to the bottom of the box. Mine was in the middle of the bubbles but there was enough room on the sides for the things to get forced to the top especially if the bubbles were as loosely packed as mine. (Mine works so I can't complain much tho.)

Replicant

Amazon UK have pretty good packaging usually. Hopefully that won't be an issue here, I hate when console boxes are damaged; I like keepin' 'em!

When it comes to packaging:

Amazon UK = Amazon FR = Amazon DE = Amazon ES > Amazon JP >>>>>>>>> Amazon US >>>>>>>>>> Amazon CA

GodofWine

Exactly how mine was packed as well, but it's working perfectly.

Ditto.

I was extra careful with the HDMI (which I'll never remove, EVER) and told myself to just play KZ single player and update in a day or two, but within 20 minutes I was updated, PS+ member, and downloading Warframe, Contrast, Blacklight, Resogun while installing Killzone...and it lived.

potam

Banned
Mine is working fine, but I'd like to point out that amazon packed it poorly. It was in a box about twice the depth of the actual ps4 box, with only 2 strips of those air bubble things. It could have easily banged around in transit, so I guess I got lucky.

Kolgar

My Amazon PS4 is fine.

Mine, too. Going retail next time, I think. And leaving a review about packaging as well.

Top Bottom