• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Amazon receive a faulty batch of PS4 Consoles, or was it poor packaging?

Applecot

Why would any PS4s at all be malfunctioning like this? I mean, they use the same hardware and firmware on every PS4, they obviously must have done quality control during manufacturing tests. Even if more people posts negative reviews than positive on the internet, the idea that even a few hundred PS4s are totally fucked makes no sense to me. How can you fuck up manufacturing that bad? The variance between consoles is too big.

Well then your sense has taken a hike somewhere.

They can only approximate failure rates after true production has occurred. These failure rates are probably derived based on prototypes, and even then I think industry only goes to a 95% CI.

QA doesn't test everything, just basic stuff; at the very least whether it will turn on and won't blow up. Unless you really think that after manufacturing they get a gorilla to plug in and test to make sure every PS4 works perfectly.

Sony also did a bad job on their retail box, 2 thin pieces of cardboard to protect PS4 from shock is terrible, they can't afford styrofoam?

I think styrofoam is going out of vogue nowadays with these kinds of electronics. It takes up a fair bit of space and it's not the most environmentally friendly option. Well designed cardboard packaging is usually enough to suffice.

Why are we freaking out here?

If 1 million consoles were sold to customers, and like 500 were faulty (280 reviews on amazon according to a post here that filtered it out) and double that. It's really not a whole lot and it's lunacy to expect a 100% working rate for every unit. It's an electronic people!

The issue is that of replacement, every fucking electronics company should have items put aside to help out the people that get crapped out units. I know many people who tried bringing their Amazon PS4s to the Sony store but they had none to give and replace them with. While others lucked out with the few they had or provided them with a simple swap with another boxed unit.

I had the same issue with my launch iPad 3rd generation. Apple had no extra ones to replace immediately (I even bought AppleCare where they are supposed to overnight one to you with a credit card hold). But they didn't have any to send on day one of launch. Took 3 weeks.

Idiocy.

bgbball31

My Amazon PS4 locked up for the first time this morning. I was watching a show on Netflix and it dropped my wifi connection, so instead of just kicking me out of Netflix, it froze and I had to hold down the power button to shut it down. I really hope it is an aberration.

My Amazon PS4 locked up for the first time this morning. I was watching a show on Netflix and it dropped my wifi connection, so instead of just kicking me out of Netflix, it froze and I had to hold down the power button to shut it down. I really hope it is an aberration.

i'm sweat'n cause i'm still paranoid about opening mine 0_o it'd be easier to open if i found games last night at target but last minute bit me in the butt :/

bgbball31

Obviously no hard evidence, but when I closed the Netflix app after being done watching TV, it froze again. Hitting the PS button to go back to the UI didn't cause a problem, but hitting options and hitting close app did. Just some further observation.

Some anecdotal evidence for what it's worth. A buddy of mine ordered a PS4 off of Amazon and it died after 2 hours of play. He was able to pick up a replacement at a local Sony store. They said that a lot of their replacements were going to Amazon customers. He said his original one was also packaged like shit.

MrXavier

My Amazon PS4 has been working perfectly fine and it's practically been on for almost 24 hours and no issues. I've been enjoying Killzone ever since.

The packaging wasn't that great I suppose, all but the side of the ps4 (Front of the box) was protected by the packaging. The original PS4 box wasn't dented or damaged at all despite it not being completely wrapped.

fade_

Mine froze while quitting netflix. Couldnt even shutdown...had to unplug it. Everythign is back to normal though.

Jibbed

I was tempted to make a thread for this but it's probably not worth it, any responses would be ace.

I've got a launch PS4 pre-order (UK) sorted with Amazon for the 29th and now we're nearing the shipping date, I'm not entirely sure I can afford it. What happens to my preorder if the payment doesn't go through? Will I still be able to pay for and receive my PS4 a few days late?

Cheers!

My Amazon PS4 has been working perfectly fine and it's practically been on for almost 24 hours and no issues. I've been enjoying Killzone ever since.

The packaging wasn't that great I suppose, all but the side of the ps4 (Front of the box) was protected by the packaging. The original PS4 box wasn't dented or damaged at all despite it not being completely wrapped.

I got mine from best buy and it has basically been on since I got it. No problems or locks yet thankfully. Feel terrible though for people with problems. Hopefully you guys get a replacement soon.

comedian

I was tempted to make a thread for this but it's probably not worth it, any responses would be ace.

I've got a launch PS4 pre-order (UK) sorted with Amazon for the 29th and now we're nearing the shipping date, I'm not entirely sure I can afford it. What happens to my preorder if the payment doesn't go through? Will I still be able to pay for and receive my PS4 a few days late?

Cheers!

My guess (emphasis guess) would be that you will get an email telling you that they tried to charge you, failed, and as such (you might) have X-time to change your billing details or call them, before your order will be cancelled.

Cheers!

You get a notification e-mail of failure to process the payment and the opportunity to go on to the site and change your payment method before they try to take the payment again. I forget how long that is as it only happened to me the one time when my Mrs maxed out the usual card and neglected to mention it to me. Anyway I think they try again something like 1 day later. Guess they kill the order at that point if you cant pay. Must be a FAQ on there somewhere that explains it all.

quest

Not Banned from OT
My amazon PS4 seems to be perfectly fine except a hard lock when downloading a game update. Almost wonder if these are OS problems dealing with PSN interruptions and not being able to deal with them properly.

Pain

Banned
Why are we freaking out here?

If 1 million consoles were sold to customers, and like 500 were faulty (280 reviews on amazon according to a post here that filtered it out) and double that. It's really not a whole lot and it's lunacy to expect a 100% working rate for every unit. It's an electronic people!

The issue is that of replacement, every fucking electronics company should have items put aside to help out the people that get crapped out units. I know many people who tried bringing their Amazon PS4s to the Sony store but they had none to give and replace them with. While others lucked out with the few they had or provided them with a simple swap with another boxed unit.

I had the same issue with my launch iPad 3rd generation. Apple had no extra ones to replace immediately (I even bought AppleCare where they are supposed to overnight one to you with a credit card hold). But they didn't have any to send on day one of launch. Took 3 weeks.

Idiocy.
Exactly. That 0.04% failure rate doesn't seem sound TOO low after all.
0.04% of 1million = 400

WoolyNinja

Same here.

When playing Killzone and Knack my PS4's fan is now louder than my launch 60GB PS3 ever gets. I think I'm going to pack it up and send it back.

Yeah, its definitely a problem if that's happening. You can either return it or send it in to Sony for repair/replacement.

TyrantII

Exactly. That 0.04% failure rate doesn't seem sound TOO low after all.
0.04% of 1million = 400

That be a dream for Sony if that's true. If they sold 1 million there should be a heck of a lot more DOA/instant deaths than 400 expected. If ONLY 400 plus some change from other retailers are the numbers, Sonys done their job exceptionally well from a engineering and logistics standpoint.

1-2% DOA-1 year failure rates and 2-4% over 3-4 years is the industry standard.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Uhh not too concerned yet, but damn KZ all of a sudden is chugging online for me... not sure if it's a glitch or what, but my framerate is hovering around 25-35 and dropping as low as 5 during explosions all of a sudden. Been like this the last 2 rounds.

Yeah, its definitely a problem if that's happening. You can either return it or send it in to Sony for repair/replacement.

Ummm.

It's not a problem.

When playing games, especially something like Killzone, the PS4 is going to be fairly hot and the fans will be running louder than a 60GB PS3 which was fairly quiet.

BarrettW

Neo Member
I have to report that my packaging was appalling but played it most of the day yesterday and worked fine. Amazon put the console in a huge box, threw 3 of those air pillows on top (HA!) and called it a day. The box arrived OPEN (which filled me with dread because I assumed it had been gutted) and beat to shit but everything was there. There is cosmetic damage to the eject disc button as the plastic is stripped out (surely it hit something) but it still works. Thrilled that it works, not happy with Amazon's choices as it could have easily gone the other way.

Uhh not too concerned yet, but damn KZ all of a sudden is chugging online for me... not sure if it's a glitch or what, but my framerate is hovering around 25-35 and dropping as low as 5 during explosions all of a sudden. Been like this the last 2 rounds.

I was getting big framerate drops in Operation Locker on BF4 earlier. it happened during heavy firefights in the rotunda area of the map

My Amazon PS4 works just fine and no I didn't bother to throw star rating up on Amazon.

I have 2 from Amazon and 1 from Sony, all working fine. Will I do a star review? Nope, never did, doubt I ever will. 1 did freeze when updating warframe but I did the 10sec reset and tried again and everything went smoothly. No problems since that.

Grey Matter

Neo Member
Received my PS4 yesterday from Amazon UK and sadly, the disc drive was dead on arrival.

First disc inserted (Killzone) spun up with a horrific noise for a minute before it was spit out and the drive refused to take any more discs, even after a full reinitialization using a USB stick and the downloaded update.

Contacted Sony Playstation EU support and they're delivering a door-to-door replacement on Tuesday, but I'm gutted that I'm missing out on launch weekend :(

MilkBeard

I have to report that my packaging was appalling but played it most of the day yesterday and worked fine. Amazon put the console in a huge box, threw 3 of those air pillows on top (HA!) and called it a day. The box arrived OPEN (which filled me with dread because I assumed it had been gutted) and beat to shit but everything was there. There is cosmetic damage to the eject disc button as the plastic is stripped out (surely it hit something) but it still works. Thrilled that it works, not happy with Amazon's choices as it could have easily gone the other way.

I'm guessing you are too nervous to return it? Seems like they mishandled it big time. I never buy consoles through mail, but everything else I've gotten has been fine from Amazon.

The PS4 came in a big ass box and the xbox one in a nice size box with little room to move around in transit.

Both are working lovely.

I was excited to open xbox one box and when i used my key to rip box i scratched entire front of day one box.

Fucking bullshit. Ha Ha

boohowc

Banned
So was this mainly a US launch issue. I kind of feel like the BLOD reports have died down? That or I have been too busy playing to follow these threads closely.

banjoted

Cheers!

Depends on the retailer. A mate of mine had a payment problem with GAME and they cancelled his order immediately. Then told him he wouldn't get one before Christmas although he kicked up a fuss and has now got one.

Top Bottom