• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

...Did anyone check out Poi? (Mario 64 inspired platformer, PS4/XB1/PC)

poi-hidden.png

I searched and was surprised that there wasn't even an OT for the game. Between the brutal, merciless play sessions that is attempting to 100% Crash Bandicoot 1 in the N. Sane Trilogy, Poi has acted as a nice relaxing cool down in comparison. The world is colorful, the music is relaxing, and the platforming is classic open world 3D, with mission modes basically mirroring the original Mario 64. The controls and camera overall are pretty tight, with jumping-on-enemies mechanic being the only one that caused me frustrations at first.

The game certainly isn't a looker, but the vibrancy of the world running at 60fps is still pretty pleasing. You can collect currency and powers that help unlock more stages and challenges later on too. I'd say it's at least worth a look if you've got a 3D platformer itch. Not to mention after a seemingly endless drought of 3D plaformers not named Mario/Sonic, new players into the genre can use all the support they can get.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
I think I got it in a Humble Bundle Monthly a while back when it was in Early Access. Didn't play much but enjoyed the little I did. Had no idea it was on PS4 though so I might check it out there.

WonderzL

Banned
It looks like if Super Mario 64 was made using some really rough HD assets. It looks fine, but ehhh... I mean, we have Super Lucky's Tale giving us an actual good looking modern 3D platform (outside of Nintendo), so devs need to try harder imo.

Platforming looks good but im not a huge fan of the art style. Screams "shovelware wii game" on first impression even if the game is way more than that.

I saw it at SGDQ for the first time a couple days ago and I was surprised it was the first I was hearing of it. It actually didn't really pique my interest, pretty plain visual style. According to the runners, it borrows mechanically most from Super Mario Sunshine.

chadtwo

My impressions from the Quick Look I saw of it were that it looked rather bland and too derivative of the 3D Marios (even down to specific platforming mechanics, like the triple jump).

It's been announced for a long ass time. I'm waiting for the Switch release to try it.

Not sure I like that it's a bit blatant with it's inspiration, tho.

ghibli99

It looks like if Super Mario 64 was made using some really rough HD assets. It looks fine, but ehhh... I mean, we have Super Lucky's Tale giving us an actual good looking modern 3D platform (outside of Nintendo), so devs need to try harder imo.
Wasn't the original Lucky's Tale backed by Oculus though? I believe PolyKid is essentially just two dudes who love '90s 3D platformers and maybe an art/music person.

Lijik

Its a pretty fun solid game, but as someone who followed the game in early access I was disappointed the content that got added after I checked out (after they added the cave level) was mostly bland minigames and other fluff I didnt really care for. Wish that time was spent on more worlds since I thought each new one was better than the last.

Dyle

Got it in a Humble Monthly a while back, it's ok, nothing special but fun for what it is. I found the art and sound design to be charming, but forgettable and the core platforming gameplay was not that great because you are able to cheese most of the game just by abusing the double jump. Nothing ever really requires you to use the double jump, it's essentially just a way to make the game easier that I couldn't stop myself from using even though I knew it was making the game easier, and less fun, than it should have been.

RK128

I loved my time with the game on PC. Reviewed it on 3WIREL a few months back after it left Early Access.

http://3wirel.com/2017/02/03/poi-review-the-pcs-3d-platformer-adventure/

The 3D platformer is back and Poi joins the ranks as one of the best 3D platformers in recent years. Offering fantastic design that allows for you to chart your own path to completion, tight gameplay honoring the classics while also doing a lot of new things to push exploration and having a great presentation that not only looks/sounds great but also runs on all PC set ups ensures Poi will be a gem that all can play. I highly recommend this 3D platforming adventure for fans of the genre.

hawk2025

Fun game -- tight controls, breezy pace with lots of jumping.

This, Freeze Me, Skylar & Plux have all been better than stuff that has been passing for platforming lately like Recore.

All three are better than Yooka-Laylee, too.

Fun game -- tight controls, breezy pace with lots of jumping.

This, Freeze Me, Skylar & Plux have all been better than stuff that has been passing for platforming lately like Recore.

All three are better than Yooka-Laylee, too.

Cool, guess I have some new games to check out soon.

Agree with you totally about ReCore. Ugghhh what a disappointment.

This is the first I've heard of this game but I think it looks really nice and enjoyable. Sure looks "derivative of Mario" like someone said above.
Personally I want more 3d platform games that are derivative of the best 3d platform games ever.
I will be buying it.

Although I find the artstyle pleasant enough, it's interesting how many people here are complaining about the art style or the fact that it doesn't look like games that likely cost a ton more than it to make.
It seems we are not as generous towards indie 3d games as we are towards faux 8 bit crappy pixel art games.
Shame, if people could accept that 3d small budget games don't look like those made by large companies, we might have more interesting variety in the type of games we get.

This reminds me of A Hat in Time. Did that ever get released? I remember the Wii U being a goal for the Kickstarter...wonder how that's going to go.

Will we see any Crash Bandicoot inspired games due to the successful launch of the remakes, or is the corridor platformer just not really a desirable sub genre?

Elija2

It's alright, but I found the controls to be a bit, I'm not sure how to describe it, imprecise? I constantly had a difficult time jumping on enemies, and controlling the protagonist never really felt natural like it does in Mario and other 3D platformers. Music and level themes are pretty forgettable too, but for a fairly cheap 3D platformer it's not bad.

Top Bottom