• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did CDPR just...massively tank PC performance because of one wrong config file?

RedVIper

Banned
Lower end PCs or even powerful PCs with older gen graphics card and processor, here you can slot the bulk of the complaints in the PC community, people that have powerful GPU's like the GTX 1080ti having poor performance, the popular GTX 1060 and RX 580 running the game like crap. The issue with Ryzens CPUs don't using SMT etc.

A 1060 will run the game at 1080p30fps, which is about what you should expect from that card.

Kenpachii

Did nothing on my PC. already loaded in 2 seconds before and all hardware was saturated.

5aa35a8d8ba777412dfcaa15f650cfcc.jpg

Game runs super smooth 100% CPU usage. 80 fps cpu minimums it seems like

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Having the flexibility of being able to fix it yourself is a negative here? Bet those last gen console owners wish they could change do something
You should not need to fix anything.
The game should know how much RAM and VRAM your system has and set the values automatically to the best for your system.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Was gonna try see if it made it playable (game started off really well but then in the city proper my cpu just can't cut it I guess, but the game itself also isn't something I wanna invest into right now, it feels like 2020 equivalent of Deus Ex: Invisible War jank) but deleted the game yesterday, lol.
Did nothing on my PC. already loaded in 2 seconds before and all hardware was saturated.

Game runs super smooth 100% CPU usage. 80 fps cpu minimums it seems like
So if it's already super smooth and you get like 100% utilization what did you expect to change with this? Lol?

Last edited:
This is part of the reason I don't tend to jump into games on day one anymore, and also one of my favorite things about gaming on a PC. Even if the devs drop the ball I can find a way to fix things and make the experience better. Should I have to? No, but if I can I might as well, at least the option is there.

When I do finally play CP 2077, all this stuff will be sorted out or maybe even patched and I will run into almost none of the day one bugs. Either way, like with most games I'll spend 15 minutes to go through the files and adjust what is recommended to get better performance. Well worth it on a 40+ hour long game. In a lot of games changing a handful of figures can have huge effects of the game disabling shitty effects like motion blur or CA, increasing draw distances, etc. It's a simple process that only requires you to follow simple instructions.

teezzy

Banned
Just did some back to back comparisons. Gained an extra 10 fps playing like this - neat.

You should not need to fix anything.
The game should know how much RAM and VRAM your system has and set the values automatically to the best for your system.

Yes, but how is that the fault of PC gaming? I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you here, we just think your resolve is strange.

Kenpachii

Was gonna try see if it made it playable (game started off really well but then in the city proper my cpu just can't cut it I guess, but the game itself also isn't something I wanna invest into right now, it feels like 2020 equivalent of Deus Ex: Invisible War jank) but deleted the game yesterday, lol.

So if it's already super smooth and you get like 100% utilization what did you expect to change with this? Lol?

Just tested it out saw no change that's all i am saying.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Should I wait for CDPR to fix it?

I'm getting average mid 60’s fps on my 3700x and 2070 ultra settings high RT, 900p monitor, though.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Tried it but didn't see any difference. Does this file really do anything? The game runs if you remove it.

Last edited:

scalman

Ohh wow will try later , maybe it will do smt to gtx 1060 6gb laptop.
Weirdly for most video games shadows affect fps a lot but this game doesnt react a lot maybe couple fps. Volumetric fog and sky affected fps most here

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I'll try this out when I get home. However, I don't know whether or not my PC is being underutilized.

My PC's specifications.

1. Ryzen 9 3950X
2. Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
3. G. Skill Trident Z RGB 64GBs (2 x 32GBs) DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MHz
4. EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
5. Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD (Windows OS and non-gaming programs)
6. Sabrent "Rocket" PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe 2TB SSD (games)
7. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
8. Western Digital Blue 4TB & 6TB HDDs
9. Corsair TX850M 850 Watt 80+ Gold PSU
10. Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG

My GPU's usage ranges between 96% and 98% and its RAM allocation ranges from 8.5GBs to 8.6GBs.

As for my CPU, I haven't been observing the game's usage of each of its cores but only the game's usage of it overall; it's undervolted to 1v, remains above 4GHz, and its power usage hovers in the 50-watts range.

Finally, general system RAM ranges from 11GBs to 12GBs.

In the video I mistakingly listed my PNY RTX 3090 as the one that's installed in my PC; however, I have the EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming installed.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Look, you have three options: Wait for the devs to patch it (assuming you are having trouble. Many people are running this game just fine on PC), try the fixes mentioned above, or refund the game. It's not that difficult.

Welcome to PC Gaming.

Barakov

Gold Member
At least there’s a fix for it.

You can’t even fix this shit without buying a 500 dollar console you can’t even find without paying high end PC rig prices.

UNpPBHU.jpg
imagine spending 3-4k for pc and wasting a lot of time to optimize games and doing the devs job while calling console owners peasants

-NSEPp94RB_H2LooqkHAbwtlpsyGnvGmM4fZ6JYyeO4.png

scAerhL.jpg
>Never spent $4000 for a PC
>EVER
>TFW

kzZiMw5.jpg

If you spent $4000 for a PC, you fucked up.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Oh damn, yeah this actually seems to work. I mean there's no proper benchmark so it's hard to say how much exactly but it's there. That's pretty dumb.

I think this is probably more likely to help people that are CPU bottlenecked and playing on lower resolutions but still.

Last edited:
I'll try this out when I get home. However, I don't know whether or not my PC is being underutilized.

My PC's specifications.

1. Ryzen 9 3950X
2. Asus X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI)
3. G. Skill Trident Z RGB 64GBs (2 x 32GBs) DDR4 RAM @ 3600 MHz
4. EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming
5. Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SATA SSD (Windows OS and non-gaming programs)
6. Sabrent "Rocket" PCIe Gen 4.0 NVMe 2TB SSD (games)
7. Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD
8. Western Digital Blue 4TB & 6TB HDDs
9. Corsair TX850M 850 Watt 80+ Gold PSU
10. Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG

My GPU's usage ranges between 96% and 98% and its RAM allocation ranges from 8.5GBs to 8.6GBs.

As for my CPU, I haven't been observing the game's usage of each of its cores but only the game's usage of it overall; it's undervolted to 1v, remains above 4GHz, and its power usage hovers in the 50-watts range.

Finally, general system RAM ranges from 11GBs to 12GBs.

In the video I mistakingly listed my PNY RTX 3090 as the one that's installed in my PC; however, I have the EVGA FTW3 Ultra Gaming installed.

Those specs are ridiculously excessive.

Shame on you, young man.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Wait that's your video?!

sY0BdIlVCuT7EBFFSrhud96duMSyunyZBBE_BiugKKc.jpg

Just playing man, your footage is gorgeous

Yes, that's my video.

LMAO :messenger_tears_of_joy:. Even by my standards, his screen is too large. I'm using a 55" (TCL 55R635), but that looks like a 65" or larger; he needs to back up by a few feet.

Thanks.

Last edited:

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
So based on some reddits posts and gaf posts it seems like only those with AMD gpus and below 2x series on nvidia are seeing improvements although some user pointed out the placebo effect which is something I noticed as well because the game has some frame degradation the more you play and a reload usually does the trick so that may as well be what's happening here.

teezzy

Banned
So based on some reddits posts and gaf posts it seems like only those with AMD gpus and below 2x series on nvidia are seeing improvements although some user pointed out the placebo effect which is something I noticed as well because the game has some frame degradation the more you play and a reload usually does the trick so that may as well be what's happening here.

It very well could be placebo in my case. I had not been tracking my FPS prior.
To be fair, it's just all over the place between 40 and 60 fps, dependent on where I asm in the game, but I feel like I'm not dipping nearly as much after editing that text file and running as admin as opposed to Steam directly. Weird.

Mine is definitely not placebo. I was struggling to run the game at 1440p without ray tracing at 60fps. I can now go back to ultrawide, ray tracing on (reflections, medium light) and I‘m 60 almost all the time except in big areas driving where i’ll dip to 50-55.

teezzy

Banned
Mine is definitely not placebo. I was struggling to run the game at 1440p without ray tracing at 60fps. I can now go back to ultrawide, ray tracing on (reflections, medium light) and I‘m 60 almost all the time except in big areas driving where i’ll dip to 50-55.

What's your cpu/gpu , kind sir?

GHG

Gold Member
I'll wait for them to fix it themselves.

I'm playing at 30fps anyway so don't have much to gain from this unless it miraculously doubles performance at 4k.

scalman

Anyone using xbox app to see fps and cpu gpu usage ? I spended so much time to changing graphics and look at results, then left it at around 30 on worse places depends where you look rly left right can jump up to 45 even.

Last edited:

Crax

Neo Member
Did absolutely nothing for me. I have a 10900K and a 1080 Ti and using a 3440x1440 monitor. I have to drop it to 2560x1080 to get it to a somewhat stable 50 fps outdoors in the city.

sertopico

People claims even 50% more FPS and much more stable framerate too... idk what to say anymore.

But... It is explained right on the top of that file that setting poolflexible to -1 gives no limits. To be more precise "-1 - Pool does not exist on the current platform". So, either it doesn't work at all, or the game can use as much resources as it wants.

Last edited:

Relativ9

On a i7-9700k, 2070 Super, 32GB of 3200Mhz DDR4, and 2 Raid0 SATA6 SSDs. Got me from an average of 52fps to 75fps with everything on high/ultra and Raytracing on Medium (with RT shadows off). Incredible performance gain, VRAM in the file was set to 3GB, now it's using the full 8GB.

But... It is explained right on the top of that file that setting poolflexible to -1 gives no limits. To be more precise "-1 - Pool does not exist on the current platform". So, either it doesn't work at all, or the game can use as much resources as it wants.

That's what I thought too, but people were showing results so I tested it and yup, huge increase...

In general there seems to be a lot of settings in the game that have little or no effect when you scroll through them, LOD for example doesn't seem to do diddlysquat between low, medium and high. No fps change, and no noticeable LOD change.

Last edited:

sertopico

On a i7-9700k, 2070 Super, 32GB of 3200Mhz DDR4, and 2 Raid0 SATA6 SSDs. Got me from an average of 52fps to 75fps with everything on high/ultra and Raytracing on Medium (with RT shadows off). Incredible performance gain, VRAM in the file was set to 3GB, now it's using the full 8GB.

That's what I thought too, but people were showing results so I tested it and yup, huge increase...

In general there seems to be a lot of settings in the game that have little or no effect when you scroll through them, LOD for example doesn't seem to do diddlysquat between low, medium and high. No fps change, and no noticeable LOD change.
I've tested and I got no perf improvement, like nothing gained. 10700k@5ghz, 16 gigs RAM, 3080, nvme ssd. I also started the game as admin but it didn't change anything.

edit: smth might have actually changed, I am not seeing low res textures anymore, sometimes there were textures, like billboard textures, which didn't go full res even if I was close to them. I don't know if it depends on that.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Anyone using xbox app to see fps and cpu gpu usage ? I spended so much time to changing graphics and look at results, then left it at around 30 on worse places depends where you look rly left right can jump up to 45 even.

Yeh I use the Xbox overlay for that. Getting solid 60fps in this game is almost impossible at 1440p and above on my hardware, even with dlss enabled so I play at 4k 30fps. Getting 100% gpu utilisation and roughly 30% cpu utilisation according to the overlay.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Nice! Going to try this when I get home.

I mean, it’s running pretty well maxed with RT on Psyco at 3440x1440 on my Gsync Ultimate monitor.

30-50 FPS most times with DLSS. Which looks good to my eyes on the monitor.

That said I’ll take any increase I
2080ti FTW3 Ultra with an added OC
3950x
And installed on an SSD.

Sentenza

This post is the second reason I don’t game on PC
Nah, that's just because you are a tosser.

Anyway, I tried this tweak and I can hardly spot any significant difference.
I'm going to bet some money on the fact that people claiming it's a miracle worker are just leaning heavily on the placebo effect.

Top Bottom