• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did CDPR just...massively tank PC performance because of one wrong config file?

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Here is the biggest question. Why do I have to switch to english voices and text everytime I start the game. NO CDRED. I DO NOT WANT TO READ GERMAN....
Steam? Set Steam to English.
GOG Galaxy? Should be a setting for the game.

Dunki

Steam? Set Steam to English.
GOG Galaxy? Should be a setting for the game.
GOG. There is a setting in the game. Which I have to change EVERYTIME I launch the game. I think it has to do something with the message at the begining? At first it is in English but then automatically changes into German

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
GOG. There is a setting in the game. Which I have to change EVERYTIME I launch the game. I think it has to do something with the message at the begining? At first it is in English but then automatically changes into German
Not sure if I remember correctly, but wasn't there a setting in the GOG client for the game?

thief183

I did the trick and apart for the first load screen no much difference, gotta admit that I'm quite pleased about my performance.

i5 9600k @5.2Ghz
1080Ti (cause the fking 3080 will arriva in february)
16 Gb of ram

On Ultra preset I'm getting from 45 to 70 fps, gsynk is doing the god work here. Cause it is always super fluid... Onestly the more I play the more I'm pissed for the bugs, this game could have been the game to end all the other games.

So in wich other game I can go to a bar, take a drink, listen to a random conversation and decide if talk or not, from there a huge side quest starts, it has been so fking immersive. It pisses me off that they didn't delay it 6 more months. Still I think is the best experience I'm having in the recent years (I tend to justify bugs in any game to be honest).

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I edited the game's memory configuration file as instructed in the embedded Reddit thread; I allocated 32GBs of general system RAM and the entirety of my graphics card's 24GBs of VRAM to the game.

I have not discerned any changes in the game's performance, but I have noticed via MSI Afterburner's on-screen display that the game now reserves 16GBs of general system RAM to itself rather than the previous amounts ranging from 11GBs to 12GBs - and a little over 9GBs of VRAM rather than the previous amounts ranging from 8.5GBs to 8.6GBs.

JeloSWE

I edited the game's memory configuration file as instructed in the embedded Reddit thread; I allocated 32GBs of general system RAM and the entirety of my graphics card's 24GBs of VRAM to the game.

I have not discerned any changes in the game's performance, but I have noticed via MSI Afterburner's on-screen display that the game now reserves 16GBs of general system RAM to itself rather than the previous amounts ranging from 11GBs to 12GBs - and a little over 9GBs of VRAM rather than the previous amounts ranging from 8.5GBs to 8.6GBs.

Same her, no noticeable performance difference but shows more allocated ram on my 3090 and 8700K

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Same her, no noticeable performance difference but shows more allocated ram on my 3090 and 8700K

I think that the game reserves specific percentages of total system RAM and VRAM; hence, if a system has less than a certain amount of either pool of RAM or both pools of RAM, the reserved percentages of either or both is below the minimum amount(s) necessary for optimal performance. Therefore, systems with buttloads of system RAM and/ or VRAM are either partially effected by this issue or not effected by it at all.

vewn

No difference on my 3080. I have the same framerate with and without RT for some reason. 50-80 depending on where i am.

SaiyanRaoh

I edited the values under POOLGPU and POOLCPU and I have almost everything on high with Ray Tracing on Medium and I'm getting 45-50 FPS in 4K. I swear I couldn't get past 35 before I edited that file.

I am playing the game using Ultra settings, SSR and RTX set to Psycho, 2560x1440 with DLSS set to performance, and it actually dropped my fps by a frame or 2.

i7 9750H
16GB DDR4 2666mhz
RTX 2080 Max-Q 90w

Laptop is a Zephyrus Ultra Slim GX531GX-XB76

I'll stick with default config, but it was worth a try.

JeloSWE

I edited the values under POOLGPU and POOLCPU and I have almost everything on high with Ray Tracing on Medium and I'm getting 45-50 FPS in 4K. I swear I couldn't get past 35 before I edited that file.
Editing the file doesn't make any real difference for me in game. I'm using the setting Digital Foundry recommended for 4K and have RT on Med or Ultra and DLSS Ultra Performance and get stable 60fps, I can use Performance as well but I get more dips and occasional stutter then. It still looks surprisingly good. Not super sharp but it's mostly fine. Only thing is that really fine edges can shimmer when moving the camera but they do that even on Quality mode, so yeah...

Yeah no difference for me either and maybe like others have theorized: It was just restarting the game that caused the performance boost.

8086k 5ghz
16gb 3200mhz
2080ti 1920mhz

Last edited:

SaiyanRaoh

What are your specs?
2070 Super
32GB MEMORY
I7 7700k
Using Digital Foundrys recommended for 4K and DLSS is at Performance. I hadn’t tried it at in since launch day. Been playing at 1440p. I know the game has gotten a couple patches since then so it’s possible the patches bumped my frame rate and not editing the file which I had just done last night.

azz0r

Banned
Why didn't they just fork the Witcher and build a city on top of it. Seems like the new engine isn't ready at all.

dano1

A Sheep
Because you don't like having the option to fix stuff and instead prefer to stick with whatever dogshit performance and bugs the developer decided it was okay to ship with?
Okay. Your loss I guess.

No because I didn’t pay $60 to fix STUFF!!
I get some people enjoy doing what the devs should have done but that’s a very small group.

Antelope

I think the real question is...wtf have they been doing for 8 years if they can’t release competent PC or console versions. I always assumed consoles would be done dirty, but PC should have been their lead console. They should have launched small and expanded. They spread themselves too thin and paid the price.

Dampf

I would tend to agree, but I have before and after comparisons. It does something, even if it doesn’t do what I think it does.
It's the memory leak. The longer you play, the worse performance you get. And by simply restarting the game, it is fixed temporarily. That is why so many people experience better FPS with this fix, because simply by restarting the game, it fixes the memory leak issue for a short time.

This file does absolutely nothing. You can change the memory to something like 1 MB or even delete the file, the game doesn't care.

Last edited:
It's the memory leak. The longer you play, the worse performance you get. And by simply restarting the game, it is fixed temporarily. That is why so many people experience better FPS with this fix, because simply by restarting the game, it fixes the memory leak issue for a short time.

This file does absolutely nothing. You can change the memory to something like 1 MB or even delete the file, the game doesn't care.
Eh, maybe.

No because I didn’t pay $60 to fix STUFF!!
I get some people enjoy doing what the devs should have done but that’s a very small group.
1) PC games are rarely more than $50 on release, in fact AAA titles can regularly be had for $40-45 with preorder discounts / GMG VIP / Humble Choice.
2) While I agree that we shouldn't have to fix what the devs don't the fact that PC has the option to do so, where console gamers have to take what they're given, is an upside to PC gaming not a downside.

Tomeru

ze04a1.gif

Yeah - having the option to potentially unlock your hardware to course correct a developer's oversights and/or shortcomings... what a flaw. Best to just live in a closed ecosystem.

This is a benefit, not a fault. Nobody is forced to do this if they don't want to.

PCMR forever.

Maybe them console only players can make these changes for the ps4 and xone versions and fix that too.

Oh wait...

nothing for me either

1080ti, 7700k

my CPU is maxing out at 75% utilization and my GPU is at 25 - 30% utilization. as you can probably expect, the performance i am seeing is shit as a result

VFXVeteran

Banned
It does nothing.

" Removed the memory_pool_budgets.csv file. which was not connected with the final version of the game and had no influence on it (it was a leftover file used during the development to estimate memory usage. It had no effect on how much memory was actually allocated). Perceived performance increase after editing the file may have been related to restarting the game "

Latest patch (1.05) notes.

Sorry guys.

Last edited:

I swear I was getting dips down to 20 fps sometimes in crowded areas and was regulatory getting 30-40 fps average, but after the fix the game rarely dips below 50 fps. 🤷‍♂️

It's a massive, massive difference

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
The Yamashi PerformanceOverhaul mod was the one that would actually modify the game. This included modified .dll and everything from memory allocation control, AVX/SMT/Spectre mitigations, debug menu, antialiasing control, etc. VRAM allocation will show the same in most readouts, but internally there is something going on, the game can barely load at .25, stutters like a bitch at .5, and runs best at 1.0(obviously).

If that config file with the alleged console settings being used was real, it would have probably not even allowed the game to load.

Aside from that, the debug menu changed from the last time I used it. *edit* There's seperate 'New Game Debug' and 'In-game Debug'. I don't dare fuck with it right now for fear of ruining my game progress somehow. This is what the debug menu looks like with latest PerformanceOverhaul release and game version 1.04 on Steam version...
Cyb-Debug104.jpg

The category is the game mission type categories: Quest, Prologue, Side Missions, etc. Definition is the individual missions from within each type. You could get a pretty good idea of exactly how much content is in the game using this.

I gained no performance on R5 1600, and my multi-threaded usage was already decent before applying the unofficial SMT fix. 1.05 on PC includes the official AVX and SMT fixes, so I'll test that and see if it helps since it reportedly helps 4 and 6-core Ryzen CPUs.

*edit* Just ran the game with SMT 'false' and it locks even just loading up. In a weird way, too. It will hang while you press buttons and move the sticks, then when you alt-tab out and go back in it progresses the game with the presses you made.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

they address this in the latest patch notes and day it was simply a file left over from development and editing it does nothing. The changes people may see are basically from restarting the game and they have removed the file now.

Dunno if true or covering arses.

Dampf

they address this in the latest patch notes and day it was simply a file left over from development and editing it does nothing. The changes people may see are basically from restarting the game and they have removed the file now.

Dunno if true or covering arses.
It is true. I tested and verified this. Also it comes straight from CDPR.

They basically admit the game has a memory leak. How about fixing it then?

Last edited:

Stitch

Gold Member
I've restarted the game several times before this fix and the only time the Performance got better was after applying it so it must have done something :lollipop_unamused:

But I was using the Performance Overhaul mod so I guess it was one of the CPU fixes :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Top Bottom