• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Disney break even/lose money with Star Wars?

sol_bad

PS Who the fuck is paying for Disney+ to watch the Mandalorian when the bay and KODI exist? That's right, no one outside of the US. Yet another spectacular fuck up by Bob "I have no idea what I am doing" Iger

LMAO
Nice job couch CEOing.
I'm sure you know exactly how to release a streaming platform in 150+ countries around the world with over 600 TV shows and movies with how many different licenses around the world? Licenses that date back years or decades depending on the country and licencor.
I'm pretty sure Igor knows what he is doing.

This is goalpost shifting. If your plan is to make a CU and build a massive SW empire from that, then yes it is a failure when you have to cancel movies, scale back releases, and move away from the CU plan. It's also a failure when your new movie makes half the money as your panned last one, and when your theme park is struggling, and when Rose Tico toys get the ET 2600 treatment.

Your claim that SW is somehow structurally unable to support a CU is hogwash and it's clear Disney execs wouldn't have agreed when they bought it.

I never said that Star Wars can't be made into a cinematic Universe, it very well can. What I was saying is that Lucasfilm and Kennedy went in the wrong direction for the none Skywalker films. I also stated that unlike the Marvel comics, it will be much harder to pull ideas from the Legends EU as there aren't a lot of amazingly great creative ideas there. For Star Wars to have a great cinematic universe they need to come up with new and fresh ideas. Not keep making things based on the OT and the struggle against the Empire.

As for RoS making half the money of the last one, do you mean in comparison to TLJ or TFA?
If you mean TLJ, than RoS is at 1.028 billion world wide compared to 1.332 billion for TLJ. That's far from half.
If you mean TFA ........ only A New Hope and The Force Awakens have made over 2 billion dollars. It is not standard for Star Wars films to make THAT much money.

Rose Tico toys, that may or may not be Disney's fault. No doubt Disney told Hasbro that they had to make toys for Rose. But we have no idea if Disney forced a certain number of toys or if Hasbro themselves came up with the production figures themselves. Either way, Disney/Hasbro overestimated far too much.

Theme park, all recent reports support the idea that Galaxy Edge is doing extremely well now that it is fully complete.

Last edited:

LordPezix

Merchandise licensing and retail revenue growth was due to increases of 3% from merchandise licensing, 1% from our retail stores, 1% from a favorable Foreign Exchange Impact and 1% from our publishing business due to the consolidation of TFCF's operations. The increase in merchandise licensing revenues was primarily due to higher revenue from products based on Toy Story, an increase in guaranteed shortfall recognition and higher revenues from Avengers and Frozen merchandise. These increases were partially offset by lower revenues from products based on Star Wars and Cars. Higher revenues at our retail stores were due to an increase in online sales

Costs and Expenses Operating expenses include operating labor, which increased $237 million from $5,937 million to $6,174 million, cost of sales and distribution costs, which increased $154 million from $2,764 million to $2,918 million, and infrastructure costs, which increased $99 million from $2,370 million to $2,469 million. The increase in operating labor was due to inflation, including the impact of wage increases for union employees, partially offset by the comparison to a special domestic employee bonus that was recognized in fiscal 2018. The increase in cost of sales and distribution costs was driven by higher sales of food, beverage and merchandise at our theme parks and resorts. Higher infrastructure costs were due to an increase in technology spending and costs for new guest offerings, including expenses associated with Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. Other operating expenses, which include costs for such items as supplies, commissions and entertainment offerings, increased $199 million, from $2,255 million to $2,454 million, due to the recognition of certain cost reimbursements from licensees as revenue rather than recorded as an offset to operating expenses.

Merchandise licensing and retail revenues were lower primarily due to decreases of 2% from licensing, 2% from lower retail sales and 1% from an unfavorable Foreign Exchange Impact. The decrease in revenue from licensing was driven by a decrease in licensee settlements and lower revenues from products based on Frozen, Cars and Princess, partially offset by an increase from products based on Mickey and Minnie and Avengers. Lower retail revenue was driven by a decrease in comparable store sales at The Disney Stores, partially offset by higher online revenue. The decrease in comparable store sales reflected lower sales of Star Wars and Moana merchandise in the fiscal 2018, partially offset by higher sales of Mickey and Minnie merchandise.

TV/SVOD distribution and other revenue reflected a 5% increase from TV/SVOD distribution and a 3% increase from stage plays. The increase in TV/SVOD distribution revenue was due to an increase in our free television business driven by 49 new international agreements and the sale of Star Wars: The Force Awakens in fiscal 2018 with no comparable title in fiscal 2017.

Due to the circumstances in Hong Kong, we have seen a significant decrease in tourism from China and other parts of Asia to Hong Kong Disneyland Resort. If current trends continue, Hong Kong Disneyland Resort's fiscal 2020 operating income could decrease by approximately $275 million compared to fiscal 2019.

Capital expenditures for the Parks, Experiences and Products segment are principally for theme park and resort expansion, new attractions, cruise ships, capital improvements and systems infrastructure. The increase in capital expenditures at our domestic parks and resorts in fiscal 2019 compared to fiscal 2018 was due to higher spending on new attractions at Walt Disney World Resort, partially offset by lower spending on new attractions at Disneyland Resort, while the increase in fiscal 2018 compared to fiscal 2017 was due to spending on new attractions at Walt Disney World Resort and Disneyland Resort, including Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. The increase in capital expenditures at our international parks and resorts in fiscal 2019 compared to fiscal 2018 was due to higher spending at Disneyland Paris, while the decrease in fiscal 2018 compared to fiscal 2017 was due to lower spending at Shanghai Disney Resort and Hong Kong Disneyland Resort.

Some interesting take-aways in the Annual report that I found.

Take them for what you will.

cryptoadam

Banned
So basically Star Wars toys arent selling, but they got a bump in TV/SVOD because of TFA a movie that was released like 5 years ago. So without TFA things would be even worse.

But decreasing box office and decreasing merchandising is all peachy for Disney. See they planned all along to not make money from toys and they planned to take a break after 5 movies.

LordPezix

So basically Star Wars toys arent selling, but they got a bump in TV/SVOD because of TFA a movie that was released like 5 years ago. So without TFA things would be even worse.

But decreasing box office and decreasing merchandising is all peachy for Disney. See they planned all along to not make money from toys and they planned to take a break after 5 movies.

There are only 22 mentions of Star Wars in the annual report and most are just referencing they own the property or talking about movies/projects with the name attached.

I really wish they broke the revenue streams up by brands. Then we could really have a good look at the numbers.

DKehoe

Gold Member

Where is the idea that the toys aren’t selling coming from? I’m not disputing it but I just hasn’t heard that until this thread. Disney have monetised the property in a way that makes Lucas look like he was being restrained. I just figured they were raking it in.

cryptoadam

Banned
Where is the idea that the toys aren’t selling coming from? I’m not disputing it but I just hasn’t heard that until this thread. Disney have monetised the property in a way that makes Lucas look like he was being restrained. I just figured they were raking it in.

Disney(2018)

Hasbro also said sales were down (2017)

And the post above is for I think 2019.

Disney merch has been down. There isn't much way to actually pin point the numbers exactly but if Disney merch is down and Hasbro says star wars merch is down, while connect 2 and 2 together. Disney wouldn't have declining sales if Star Wars was a juggernaught. Star Wars toys built toy companies like Kenner.

MilkyJoe

LMAO
Nice job couch CEOing.
I'm sure you know exactly how to release a streaming platform in 150+ countries around the world with over 600 TV shows and movies with how many different licenses around the world? Licenses that date back years or decades depending on the country and licencor.
I'm pretty sure Igor knows what he is doing.

I never said that Star Wars can't be made into a cinematic Universe, it very well can. What I was saying is that Lucasfilm and Kennedy went in the wrong direction for the none Skywalker films. I also stated that unlike the Marvel comics, it will be much harder to pull ideas from the Legends EU as there aren't a lot of amazingly great creative ideas there. For Star Wars to have a great cinematic universe they need to come up with new and fresh ideas. Not keep making things based on the OT and the struggle against the Empire.

As for RoS making half the money of the last one, do you mean in comparison to TLJ or TFA?
If you mean TLJ, than RoS is at 1.028 billion world wide compared to 1.332 billion for TLJ. That's far from half.
If you mean TFA ........ only A New Hope and The Force Awakens have made over 2 billion dollars. It is not standard for Star Wars films to make THAT much money.

Rose Tico toys, that may or may not be Disney's fault. No doubt Disney told Hasbro that they had to make toys for Rose. But we have no idea if Disney forced a certain number of toys or if Hasbro themselves came up with the production figures themselves. Either way, Disney/Hasbro overestimated far too much.

Theme park, all recent reports support the idea that Galaxy Edge is doing extremely well now that it is fully complete.

This guy has a Star Wars branded cock in his mouth. 😂🤣😂🤣😂

George also sold the property under its value and accepted stocks instead of cash. He assumed that his E7-9 would be made but... well. It is what it is. "Thx" Mr. Iger. His exit in fall of 2021 can´t come soon enough. Sith Master Michael Eisner was more humane that him it seems.

Edit: It took them almost 6 years to do it.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'

George also sold the property under its value and accepted stocks instead of cash. He assumed that his E7-9 would be made but... well. It is what it is. "Thx" Mr. Iger. His exit in fall of 2021 can´t come soon enough. Sith Master Michael Eisner was more humane that him it seems.

6 years isn't a long time for something like this. We're talking 4bn, and that article only references film revenue. Star Wars obviously earns a ton from other revenue streams.

Though as far as film revenues goes, I think it's telling that something as massive as Star Wars only earned a little over 4bn in new movies while Marvel - who Disney also purchased for around 4bn - has gone on to do ridiculous, game-changing numbers. From what I read they're putting Feige in charge over there, or at least in some major role, and that's really needed. There is absolutely no reason Kennedy should have not cranked out a few more billion dollar blockbusters with that IP. She really fucked up.

womfalcs3

Banned

That's a damn respectable internal rate of return. Profitable since Q42018...

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
The merchandise will eventually turn them a profit. It was a smart move by Disney to buy Star Wars. I just wish they would have picked greater actors

Lego Boss

Even if those sequels were awful (they were) Disney has shown they can do decent SW with Tge Mandalorian.

They need to strip back SW to its essence, look at building characters (that assassin robot is sweet AF) and focus on the individual relationships. The Prisomer is some of the best SW since Jedi in my opinion.

Even if those sequels were awful (they were) Disney has shown they can do decent SW with Tge Mandalorian.

They need to strip back SW to its essence, look at building characters (that assassin robot is sweet AF) and focus on the individual relationships. The Prisomer is some of the best SW since Jedi in my opinion.
I agree but it needs to be in far better hands than KK.

Last edited:

Weiji

Banned
I just want to point out that a real accounting of the gain loss of this thing would include opportunity cost calculations on what they spent.

So we need to compare net profits from the star wars franchise to 4 billion dollars worth of compounded interest + principle. (Minus taxes on both sides)

I’m assuming this was cash they had on hand. If they took out a loan to make the purchase we need to compare against the cost they paid (or are paying) to service that debt.

If I had to guess I doubt Disney has made its money back yet. Frankly I doubt they’re more then 75% of the way there.

But star wars remains a valuable IP which absolutely will pay for itself eventually.

Mismanagement of the franchise has simply extended out that date a bit.

cryptoadam

Banned

Hard to take this article as anything more than PR spin when the write the below.

Lucasfilm is poised to do the same, as its first three films all made over $1 billion at the global box office — “The Force Awakens” made $2 billion. “Solo: A Star Wars Story” was the only film that was widely panned at the box office, making under $400 million worldwide.

″‘Solo’ still made a lot of money,” Dergarabedian said. “By any other measure ‘Solo’ was a success, but in the realm of ‘Star Wars’ anything less than a grand slam home run is seen as a disappointment. So [that film] was held to a higher standard, no question, but that’s because of how well the films have done even before Disney.”

Solo made 400 Mill, had a budget of close to 200 Mill, add in advertising and then subtract the cinema and distributors cuts and Solo LOST money, not made a lot of money.

And this article only talks about money made from TFA toys and since its a bit old assumes that toy sales will stay strong, but we have seen from Disney and Hasbro's numbers that SW toy sales have stagnated and even declined and are being blamed for decrease in revenues by both companies.

The article didn't really convince me and didn't provide anything outside of vauge platitudes. The simple fact that they are trying to sell me that Solo made a lot of money makes the entire article suspect.

Grinchy

Banned
I'm not claiming they've lost money or anything (I highly doubt they did), but just adding up box office numbers and saying, "Wow! Look! They made all their money back!" is kinda dumb.

Disney does not get every dollar of ticket sales, and all of that money isn't pure profit. They had to...you know...make these movies and pay a ton of people for that to happen. They had to advertise them. Ticket sales are not some 100% profit scheme :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Diddy X

I was thinking "merchandising will make up for it" but the new characters are so shitty, good ol' chewbacca, lightsabers, luke, yoda, r2d2, etc are still far more recognizable, so thinking of this, the new trilogy was even more of a disaster to Star Wars, not just bad movies.

I think they added some star wars skins to some game I don't remember which one, I was expecting Darth Vader or Luke, they added Rey and Kylo Ren... :messenger_grimmacing_

Kadayi

Banned
Disney does not get every dollar of ticket sales, and all of that money isn't pure profit. They had to...you know...make these movies and pay a ton of people for that to happen. They had to advertise them. Ticket sales are not some 100% profit scheme :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Yeah, it never ceases to amaze me that people don't understand the concept of salaries and overheads.

VertigoOA

Banned
I doubt the merchandise is pulling that much either. It’s not the same.

whatever Disney is shit and raped Star Wars.

I can honestly say I hate Star Wars now. Never thought that was possible

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
They makes 17 billion a year at Disney world alone. They’ve created a whole theme park area off star wars that’s very popular. They sell a ton of merchandise.
There has never been as much star wars merchandise out as there is right now.
The movies are made to push the merchandise. Not to be hugely profitable.

Top Bottom