• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I “get gud” at Dark Souls?

Maddux4164

That's not a bad thing, really. The boss weapons require a lot of resources to create and the process is complicated too. Many of them need high stats or specific stats for good damage, as well. So, maybe consuming them for the souls is the wiser course of action.
I’m like a “can’t spend it fast enough” person with souls. Any souls I can get and cash I’ll do it ASAP and then spend it ASAP. No waiting and holding souls for me. Nope. Never.

it’s why I stay “Broke” in game.

Last edited:
I’m like a “can’t spend it fast enough” person with souls. Any souls I can get and cash I’ll do it ASAP and then spend it ASAP. No waiting and holding souls for me. Nope. Never.

it’s why I stay “Broke” in game.
I've lost more souls in one instant from a goofy accident (bumping my controller so my character does backstep off a cliff) than most people will accumulate in an entire playthrough

At a certain point it stops bothering you. If you need more souls, there's always be more people to kill

Last edited:

Maddux4164

I've lost more souls in one instant from a goofy accident (bumping my controller so my character does backstep off a cliff) than most people will accumulate in an entire playthrough

At a certain point it stops bothering you. If you need more souls, there's always be more people to kill
True. But this is my first “TRUE” play through. Not about losing souls. I’m ok losing a 5k-10k at this point. But I’m not ok losing ”level up“ money worth ya know? yeah… can always farm. No doubt. But I’m desperately trying to beat this game and losing precious “level up” souls would suck.

Maddux4164

No idea where I was Last time I faced O&S. If memory serves, only bosses I had beaten was Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping Dragon and Iron Giant. I was under leveled and using a shit weapon that was under leveled (assuming). So now I’m far more prepared.

edit: also obviously Queleeg too

Last edited:
No idea where I was Last time I faced O&S. If memory serves, only bosses I had beaten was Taurus, Gargoyles, Capra, Gaping Dragon and Iron Giant. I was under leveled and using a shit weapon that was under leveled (assuming). So now I’m far more prepared.

edit: also obviously Queleeg too
U still got like 10 bosses after O&S, some of them are awesome

If you really want souls, consider dropping your sign so you can help others. Just leave it down while you're exploring. When you help someone else defeat a boss you get practice against the boss and a big souls payout as well. It's great fun, although the game probably won't be super active these days so sometimes you will wait a long time between summons. I also like to quickly equip gear that boosts my souls payout as the boss is dying, but you don't have those items yet

Maddux4164

U still got like 10 bosses after O&S, some of them are awesome

If you really want souls, consider dropping your sign so you can help others. Just leave it down while you're exploring. When you help someone else defeat a boss you get practice against the boss and a big souls payout as well. It's great fun, although the game probably won't be super active these days so sometimes you will wait a long time between summons. I also like to quickly equip gear that boosts my souls payout as the boss is dying, but you don't have those items yet
See. Not sure I can. I’m on OG dark souls and it’s not modded in anyway. Not sure I can do that. Might be stuck to NPC only

Would be amazing to help folks with the gargoyles or SIF or whatever.

Last edited:
I need to look into the “multiplayer” mod. Otherwise I’ll need to get the remaster. Which is fine. I guess. But ya know. Wish save files transferred to the remaster. Probably buy it now.
I'm definitely in the camp that the multiplayer side of souls is essential to experiencing the real dark souls. There are many who prefer it the way you are experiencing it now though

Maddux4164

I'm definitely in the camp that the multiplayer side of souls is essential to experiencing the real dark souls. There are many who prefer it the way you are experiencing it now though
Yeah. Not sure what I can do hah. Way too far in the game go abandon my play through. But I’m told there’s a mod that allows an active multiplayer community. Think it’s called DSMC or something like that. But… it’s fine for now. I’ll get to it eventually. Be it a mod or just grabbing the remaster.

Probably snag the remaster for the extra achievements and graphical improvements and helping “newbies” would be fun.

Last edited:
Yeah. Not sure what I can do hah. Way too far in the game go abandon my play through. But I’m told there’s a mod that allows an active multiplayer community. Think it’s called DSMC or something like that. But… it’s fine for now. I’ll get to it eventually. Be it a mod or just grabbing the remaster.

Probably snag the remaster for the extra achievements and graphical improvements and helping “newbies” would be fun.
I would just press on, as you say. When you get the remaster, it will be an opportunity to try a different playstyle on a fresh playthrough. A lot of people really love great swords like the Claymore or Moonlight Sword, you could try those.

Maddux4164

I would just press on, as you say. When you get the remaster, it will be an opportunity to try a different playstyle on a fresh playthrough. A lot of people really love great swords like the Claymore or Moonlight Sword, you could try those.
Yeah. I’ll get the remaster. Think it’s like $20 on CDKEYS or whatever. Doubt folks who’ve modded their OG games are “newbies”. Would be fun to help new people defeat bosses ya know?

Should I try and summon an NPC?

Danny Devito Smh GIF

Maddux4164

Ok well, I can get to O&S without hardly taking a hit. Very easy.

When I’m afforded the good will of HITTING them…. My weapon does crazy good damage. Had O down to 25% health after a few slashes. But they kinda just “overwhelm“ me. Only faced em maybe 5 times.

When I’m afforded the good will of HITTING them…. My weapon does crazy good damage. Had O down to 25% health after a few slashes. But they kinda just “overwhelm“ me. Only faced em maybe 5 times.
Definitely gotta keep your eye on the one you're not hitting. If you lose sight of one, keep backing up. Smough charges along and does huge slams with his hammer that he is vulnerable after, but the hammer is so damn big that it's like a shield, it can be hard to get around it in time to hit him. When Smough does a fat-ass ground pound, that's a chance to hit him before he gets up or to hit Ornstein while you know Smough is indisposed.

Soodanim

Yeah. See he’s not in Anor Londo for me. Because I messed Up apparently and he’s inside of Sens fortress. Didn’t know and never went to seek him out. It’s fine, I’ll do more runs and catch his quest next time. Do not feel like leaving my comfy bonfire in Anor Londo castle (or whatever it’s called) and going to Sens
The side quests can be very fiddly, and easily broken. They’re best played their specific goals in mind, because breaking sequence can break them. Solaire and Seig both. It might be possible to go back to Sen’s and get him before you beat O&S, but be warned that you won’t be able to truly finish the quest without help.

I don’t see much point in the remaster, even though I bought it (on sale). Especially with the original now having the mods to fix the very few things the remaster actually did (use multiple souls at once, etc).

The reason O is easier to kill first is because S is slow. Use that to your advantage, and lure O behind a pillar. O&S are a true test of waiting your turn, because going in mad will only land you double teamed. You need to break them up.

I forgot to quote it, but using boss souls for their soul value hurts my soul unless I’m absolutely never using it on a specific build where I barely collect anything.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

After failing O&S a few times. Decided to go elsewhere for a minute. Clear my head. Went to the painted world. Killed the boss (she be invisible and stuff apparently). Now I’m headed back to O&S fresh

opened a cool shortcut to the giant forger weapon guy too

Last edited:

Winter John

I've been watching people stream DS over the last few days. It's fun watching new players and dropping little hints. One guy was at the gargoyles last night. For some reason he refused to level up, wear armor or summon anyone. He was using a halbard and fat rolling because he had no strength/stamina. The dude was like Wile E Coyote. Getting repeatedly stomped on over and over. It was hilarious. Eventually I managed to convince him to swap his weapon, and after a bunch more deaths he finally killed them.

Maddux4164

I've been watching people stream DS over the last few days. It's fun watching new players and dropping little hints. One guy was at the gargoyles last night. For some reason he refused to level up, wear armor or summon anyone. He was using a halbard and fat rolling because he had no strength/stamina. The dude was like Wile E Coyote. Getting repeatedly stomped on over and over. It was hilarious. Eventually I managed to convince him to swap his weapon, and after a bunch more deaths he finally killed them.
🤣😂🤣 fat rolling on gargoyles? brah

Maddux4164

Alright guys. Failed and feeling a little not happy. I’m happy my weapons do GREAT damage to O&S. But it’s hard for me to even get in a hit.

I’ve no humanity and stuff. So. What I’ve done is Leave my bonfire of comfort and gone to the “Andre” bonfire (never got hit on my way). So I’ll get more cool stuff here and ALSO continue onion head quest.

It’s what I’ll do to keep myself from getting upset and quitting ya know? I’m happy to see my weapons cut em up. Wish I had Humanity to get help. Don’t.

Time to farm stuff. Maybe see “Dusk”. Level up. Go about it that way.

Yumi

Ugh. Now I’m conflicted. Wanted to beat the fatty last. Is there an objectively “easier” way to do it? By that I mean, which one to kill first?
I find It easier to kill Ornstein first for a couple reasons.

1. In the first phase Ornstein hunts you down and you can pull him away from Smough, who is slow, to get hits on Ornstein before Smough catches up. Fighting Smough first is almost impossible to do with also worrying about Orntein the whole time.

2. Super Smough has easier/slower tells to his attack animations then Super Ornstein. A prime example is Smough gets a super butt smash which you have more than enough time to get away from then get some hits in. Super Orntein has a super lunge, which is unblockable, and the hit box can be a bit finicky. It also grab you into the air and can one hit kill you depending on your vitality.

laynelane

Alright guys. Failed and feeling a little not happy. I’m happy my weapons do GREAT damage to O&S. But it’s hard for me to even get in a hit.

I’ve no humanity and stuff. So. What I’ve done is Leave my bonfire of comfort and gone to the “Andre” bonfire (never got hit on my way). So I’ll get more cool stuff here and ALSO continue onion head quest.

It’s what I’ll do to keep myself from getting upset and quitting ya know? I’m happy to see my weapons cut em up. Wish I had Humanity to get help. Don’t.

It's hard to manage both of them at once. I found that out when I solo'd them for the first time. Focus on Smough and Ornstein will poke you. Focus on Ornstein and Smough will flatten you. Good on you for taking a break. Sometimes that's just what you need and you come back stronger. So many times I've died to a boss over and over, took a break, and took them down within a few tries or even first try after.

If you feel up to it, there is another area you can explore - the Painted World of Ariamis. You can see a new area, get some new stuff, etc. One word of warning, though, once you go there you can only leave through the boss of the area. So, maybe pick up that Repair spell Touch fuzZy. get BizZay Touch fuzZy. get BizZay mentioned first since the Uchi is kind of fragile.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

It's hard to manage both of them at once. I found that out when I solo'd them for the first time. Focus on Smough and Ornstein will poke you. Focus on Ornstein and Smough will flatten you. Good on you for taking a break. Sometimes that's just what you need and you come back stronger. So many times I've died to a boss over and over, took a break, and took them down within a few tries or even first try after.

If you feel up to it, there is another area you can explore - the Painted World of Ariamis. You can see a new area, get some new stuff, etc. One word of warning, though, once you go there you can only leave through the boss of the area. So, maybe pick up that Repair spell Touch fuzZy. get BizZay Touch fuzZy. get BizZay mentioned first since the Uchi is kind of fragile.
Oh yes friend. I’ve already beaten invisible lady Priscilla hah. She was so easy

laynelane

Oh yes friend. I’ve already beaten invisible lady Priscilla hah. She was so easy

You've been really tearing through the game, haven't you? Maybe relaxing and farming will be a good change of pace and a chance to chill.

There's always the Depths...:messenger_smiling_horns:

Maddux4164

You've been really tearing through the game, haven't you? Maybe relaxing and farming will be a good change of pace and a chance to chill.

There's always the Depths...:messenger_smiling_horns:
Oooo. That’s actually a solid idea. I’ll be way OP and can collect the spider shield and beat the gaping dragon for souls. Etc. this is a good idea

laynelane

Oooo. That’s actually a solid idea. I’ll be way OP and can collect the spider shield and beat the gaping dragon for souls. Etc. this is a good idea

The rats down there have a decent drop rate for humanity too. And, if you want to do Knight Kirk's quest line, it starts in the Depths.

Depths is fine, I enjoy Gaping Dragon as a boss although you will obliterate him with your current power. See dusk and getting things is good too, there are a few places you could go, but...

Can you describe how O&S is going down? Is it the same each time? Is it that you can't find an opening to attack and eventually you get steamrolled? The easiest change of tactics would be to summon Solaire to help take the heat off, so he can distract one boss while you slice up the other. I guess that would mean farming some humanities in the depths so you can turn human and summon.
The rats down there have a decent drop rate for humanity too. And, if you want to do Knight Kirk's quest line, it starts in the Depths.
He means if you walk around the depths in human form, Kirk, an npc character will invade the same way human players invade in multiplater. His quest line leads to great armour.

Maddux4164

Depths is fine, I enjoy Gaping Dragon as a boss although you will obliterate him with your current power. See dusk and getting things is good too, there are a few places you could go, but...

Can you describe how O&S is going down? Is it the same each time? Is it that you can't find an opening to attack and eventually you get steamrolled? The easiest change of tactics would be to summon Solaire to help take the heat off, so he can distract one boss while you slice up the other. I guess that would mean farming some humanities in the depths so you can turn human and summon.

He means if you walk around the depths in human form, Kirk, an npc character will invade the same way human players invade in multiplater. His quest line leads to great armour.
Weirdly enough. Had “twin” humanitties after beating the priscilla boss in the painting. So got human again. Had a +1. Was NO SUMMON SIGN at the door. I was Heartbroken. Why is that the case?

Also, when I can get swings in…. O&S are nothing. I take off so much damage to them. It’s the duo. Can’t handle it. Dunno.

In the depths. I’ve already got the spider shield. Farmed humanity. I’m at the bonfire near the boss door. Will be a cake walk I’m certain.

Soodanim

Nothing world breaking. Destroyed gaping dragon first try. Was way OP obviously

You’re ready. You can do this. Let Ornstein come to you, try to feel out his attacks. Stay on the move, stay on the defensive. Watch for moments where you can get a couple hits in.

One thing that made me better at Dark Souls was learning to not lock on all the time. If nothing else, if gives you greater control of what you can see. Your ability to hit isn’t impaired, you can still direct every attack.

Maddux4164

Think I’ve conquered the depths. Beat the boss. Saved the asshole living in a barrel. Collected the spider shield and etc

Maddux4164

You’re ready. You can do this. Let Ornstein come to you, try to feel out his attacks. Stay on the move, stay on the defensive. Watch for moments where you can get a couple hits in.

One thing that made me better at Dark Souls was learning to not lock on all the time. If nothing else, if gives you greater control of what you can see. Your ability to hit isn’t impaired, you can still direct every attack.
Funnily enough. I NEVER lock on. Maybe once a blue moon if I’m cornered or whatever. But nope. Didn’t mention don’t think, but picked up the Dragon Greatbow and spent tons of souls buying like 40 arrows too.

Maddux4164

Alight. Nuff DS tonight. O&S looms hard. But I’ve now conquered the depths and upgraded more since. My weapon hits em HARD. It’s my timing that’s off obviously. I will get it. Not frustrated or anything like That. Opened many shortcuts since and defeated the painted lady… and the gaping dragon etc

All is well and I’ll be ready tomorrow!

Soodanim

For no reason at all.

Upgraded my pyromancer to +6

not even aware how to equip it 😂
Actually, this is a solid choice and I’m sorry I didn’t think of it sooner. Pyromancy is completely unrelated to any stat for its power, so you can SL1 the entire game but have max strength Pyro (it only uses dex for cast speed). You equip the flame as a weapon in either hand, then attune spells at a bonfire. Up your attunement to 12 for a 2nd slot, then pick whatever pyro spells you like. It’s a good way to switch up your play style, and it’s a very viable tactic against O&S. Even Combustion is a good move despite being a point blank range spell, because it comes out so fast. Something like Fireball or Great Fireball will also come in handy, and you’ve already been to the Chaos lady haven’t you?

Last edited:
For no reason at all.

Upgraded my pyromancer to +6

not even aware how to equip it 😂
Did u get "power within?" u dont need any magic stats to use it just pyro glove. Makes ur katana do even more damage vs O&S, need even less openings

Funnily enough. I NEVER lock on. Maybe once a blue moon if I’m cornered or whatever. But nope. Didn’t mention don’t think, but picked up the Dragon Greatbow and spent tons of souls buying like 40 arrows too.
Thats advanced play method dude. You should lock-on until you're really experienced. Will make O&S much easier, especially switching between them and getting out of their way. It'll totally change the fight.

Safe and sound at firelink. What should I focus On upgrade wise? I’m lost?!
I suggest VIT. You're dying and more HP is always more useful. VIT, DEX and END can all be bumped to 40 without it being a waste, but HP would help right now.

So got human again. Had a +1. Was NO SUMMON SIGN at the door. I was Heartbroken. Why is that the case?

Also, when I can get swings in…. O&S are nothing. I take off so much damage to them. It’s the duo. Can’t handle it. Dunno.
Are u referring to summoning Solaire before O&S? Firstly, did you meet him at an earlier bonfire in Anor Londo and talk to him? And his sign isn't exactly in front of the door. It's atop one of the stairways behind you a little bit, near the giant armoured guards with halberds.

Alight. Nuff DS tonight. O&S looms hard. But I’ve now conquered the depths and upgraded more since. My weapon hits em HARD. It’s my timing that’s off obviously. I will get it. Not frustrated or anything like That. Opened many shortcuts since and defeated the painted lady… and the gaping dragon etc

All is well and I’ll be ready tomorrow!
Lock on and patiently wait for little opportunities, or summon Solaire to even the odds, plenty of strats to work with next time. And you beat bosses and collected treasure anyways. Good stuff. ttyl

Maddux4164

Actually, this is a solid choice and I’m sorry I didn’t think of it sooner. Pyromancy is completely unrelated to any stat for its power, so you can SL1 the entire game but have max strength Pyro (it only uses dex for cast speed). You equip the flame as a weapon in either hand, then attune spells at a bonfire. Up your attunement to 12 for a 2nd slot, then pick whatever pyro spells you like. It’s a good way to switch up your play style, and it’s a very viable tactic against O&S. Even Combustion is a good move despite being a point blank range spell, because it comes out so fast. Something like Fireball or Great Fireball will also come in handy, and you’ve already been to the Chaos lady haven’t you?
Who’s the chaos lady? Maybe I have. Just want to be sure here.

Maddux4164

Did u get "power within?" u dont need any magic stats to use it just pyro glove. Makes ur katana do even more damage vs O&S, need even less openings

Thats advanced play method dude. You should lock-on until you're really experienced. Will make O&S much easier, especially switching between them and getting out of their way. It'll totally change the fight.

I suggest VIT. You're dying and more HP is always more useful. VIT, DEX and END can all be bumped to 40 without it being a waste, but HP would help right now.

Are u referring to summoning Solaire before O&S? Firstly, did you meet him at an earlier bonfire in Anor Londo and talk to him? And his sign isn't exactly in front of the door. It's atop one of the stairways behind you a little bit, near the giant armoured guards with halberds.

Lock on and patiently wait for little opportunities, or summon Solaire to even the odds, plenty of strats to work with next time. And you beat bosses and collected treasure anyways. Good stuff. ttyl
Yes. I was HUMAN. At the bonfire BY sun dude. Had a +1 in my stat bar. He wasn’t at the top of the stairs. Absolutely broke my heart. He said he would help me. He‘s a liar and I’m tempted to GUT him as he sits comfy at my bonfire.

Ill “try” lock on. Simply not used to it frankly. For better or worse. I’m always free slamming my foes.

It’s nice to have at least made progress whilst clearing my mind and putting off more O&S. Opened up their shortcut. Beat the painting lady. Cleared the depths. Etc. that’s a lot of progress POST me leaving O&S.

Maddux4164

He's an NPC who will invade you in different areas of the game for a total of three times. He drops humanity every time he invades and there's a chance for his sword and shield to drop each time. The final reward is his armour which is a pretty cool set.

QcuNbnw.jpg
Guessing I did That? Was that the dude sitting in a barrel? I helped him. When will I see this asshat again? Do barrels continue to screw him Over despite his armor and weapons?

laynelane

Guessing I did That? Was that the dude sitting in a barrel? I helped him. When will I see this asshat again? Do barrels continue to screw him Over despite his armor and weapons?

The dude in the barrel is the one who upgrades your pyromancy flame at Firelink (lol good point about his armour and weapons). He stays put and out of mischief for the better part of the game. If you upgrade your pryromancy flame to +10, another NPC will appear in Blightown. She, Quelana, can teach you the real heavy-hitting fire spells and upgrade your pyromancy flame to maximum. I think how it goes is if you buy one of her unique spells and then speak to the pyromancy dude at Firelink, he'll want to know where you got it. If you tell him, he disappears from Firelink and can be found later in Blightown in a pretty sad state.

Kirk would be an NPC with a red glow and a message appears stating you have been invaded. He looks just like the picture in my comment about the rewards for his quest. The thing is, once you kill the boss of an area - you can no longer be invaded. My apologies for not remembering to include that information. By the time I remembered, you had already killed the boss. You're too damn fast!

Last edited:

Soodanim

Yes. I was HUMAN. At the bonfire BY sun dude. Had a +1 in my stat bar. He wasn’t at the top of the stairs. Absolutely broke my heart. He said he would help me. He‘s a liar and I’m tempted to GUT him as he sits comfy at my bonfire.

Ill “try” lock on. Simply not used to it frankly. For better or worse. I’m always free slamming my foes.

It’s nice to have at least made progress whilst clearing my mind and putting off more O&S. Opened up their shortcut. Beat the painting lady. Cleared the depths. Etc. that’s a lot of progress POST me leaving O&S.
Which stairs, though? There are two sets of stairs, you want the stairs by the archer in the hall. The summon sign is on the half way point.
Hence why for no reason I spent 16k getting +6 on it. Yet I’ve ZERO idea how to “equip” it. The dude at fire link talked me into it. He was a great salesman.
Scroll down past your weapons. If memory serves, it sits between weapons and shields. If not, it's at the bottom past the shields.

Top Bottom