• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did I “get gud” at Dark Souls?

Maddux4164

I'll give him credit for trying. At least he wasn't one of those glitchers who abuse dupes then spend their days invading the Undead

I am all about a little cheese. But since I’ve never beaten DS1, I’m against “glitches“. But yeah I’ll cheese a little here and there. No question.

Maddux4164

I believe pc version is inseparable from DLC, I think it was ported to pc and DLC was created at the same time, so Maddux definitely has DLC. Again, I think you wanna be level 80 before DLC imo.
Curious as to what you guys think I should do after O&S. Many options here. Catacombs? (I’ve beaten pinwheel, but not giants).

Curious as to what you guys think I should do after O&S. Many options here. Catacombs? (I’ve beaten pinwheel, but not giants).
My only issue with that is the boss fight involves multiple enemies, and fighting more than one boss at once was a pain for you so it might be better to do that after you're stronger. Maybe demon ruins?

Last edited:

Maddux4164

My only issue with that is the boss fight involves multiple enemies, and fighting more than one boss at once was a pain for you so it might be better to do that after you're stronger. Maybe demon ruins?
Can do Demon Ruins. Can’t recall, need to check, but maybe I’ve beaten the discharge idiot.

Well… multiple gargoyles aren’t an issue lol. It’s damn O&S. I was Happy that “solo” got down to Super O and he had less than half health. What would’ve made me win? GOLD PINE Rison! Easy. Should’ve got some. I used Nothing.

Maddux4164

Also I will add I went ahead for no reason and killed spider lady covenant leader for the estus power.

I am 99% sure I’ve done ceaseless discharge. Certainly not the other one. Think I’ve got the ring to walk on lava though. I’ll have to check.

Also I will add I went ahead for no reason and killed spider lady covenant leader for the estus power.

I am 99% sure I’ve done ceaseless discharge. Certainly not the other one. Think I’ve got the ring to walk on lava though. I’ll have to check.
the path will be open after placing the lord vessel. Tomb of giants is also a good place to bring a light source, and one of the 3 ways you can get a light source to illuminate your path is found in Lost Izalith beyond the demon ruins, although you aren't guaranteed to get it. But that's another reason it might be good to go that way first.

Maddux4164

the path will be open after placing the lord vessel. Tomb of giants is also a good place to bring a light source, and one of the 3 ways you can get a light source to illuminate your path is found in Lost Izalith beyond the demon ruins, although you aren't guaranteed to get it. But that's another reason it might be good to go that way first.
So what should be my next goal? You say demon ruins?

Maddux4164

I finished for the first time recently and didn't find it too bad except for the two archers with the dragon arrows.....that was just lame. I vastly prefer this type of setup over Bethesda-style enemy leveling.
Frankly I know It’s loathed and unfair. But I was “Lucky”. Took me maybe 3-4 tries at most. Bonfire is pretty close by and simply charging the archer forced him to fall off for me.

So what should be my next goal? You say demon ruins?
Well I think that's another incentive why demons ruins should be before tomb of giants (the light thing.) Duke's archives also has a single boss, so you could go there. You kind of get stuck there for a while though, it's not easy to leave if you decide you want to tackle something else

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Well I think that's another incentive why demons ruins should be before tomb of giants (the light thing.) Duke's archives also has a single boss, so you could go there. You kind of get stuck there for a while though, it's not easy to leave if you decide you want to tackle something else
After beating pinwheel I got some mask. Isn’t that a thing? (Not sure). My knowledge is “limited” post O&S.

After beating pinwheel I got some mask. Isn’t that a thing? (Not sure). My knowledge is “limited” post O&S.
No worries, the masks from pinwheel are headwear that can provide useful stat boosts, for example giant dads like to wear the mask of the father for the equipment load bonus:

I was referring to a crown found in Lost Izalith (further than you've been) that casts light. But you also may already have a lantern, which is a rare drop from the necromancers you killed in the catacombs.

Maddux4164

No worries, the masks from pinwheel are headwear that can provide useful stat boosts, for example giant dads like to wear the mask of the father for the equipment load bonus:

I was referring to a crown found in Lost Izalith (further than you've been) that casts light. But you also may already have a lantern, which is a rare drop from the necromancers you killed in the catacombs.

No idea. Also no idea what the lost izalith is either

that video 🤣😂🤣😂

Last edited:
All choices are fine, its your call to make, but you are basically picking between 4 directions

Demon ruins/lost Izalith = fire areas, multiple one on one bosses, lots of souls to collect and level up, can leave via bonfire any time. Also regarded as the worst designed area in the game. I agree with this but I still like it.
Duke's Archive = Area based on magic. Can be hard to damage enemies and you can get trapped there for a while, kind of maze like. Boss is a single entity. Maybe bring fire paper to enhance your katana, purchased from lady in tunnel
New Londo = you've basically cleared it already, there's just the boss fight to go using Artoria's ring. Depending how things proceed you can end up fighting multiple bosses.
Tomb of Giants = Dark and scary but ways to get around that. Area based on holy/unholy miracles. Boss summons minions that attack you during boss fight.

Or there's the DLC, but it's best to level a bit first.

Maddux4164

All choices are fine, its your call to make, but you are basically picking between 4 directions

Demon ruins/lost Izalith = fire areas, multiple one on one bosses, lots of souls to collect and level up, can leave via bonfire any time. Also regarded as the worst designed area in the game. I agree with this but I still like it.
Duke's Archive = Area based on magic. Can be hard to damage enemies and you can get trapped there for a while, kind of maze like. Boss is a single entity. Maybe bring fire paper to enhance your katana, purchased from lady in tunnel
New Londo = you've basically cleared it already, there's just the boss fight to go using Artoria's ring. Depending how things proceed you can end up fighting multiple bosses.
Tomb of Giants = Dark and scary but ways to get around that. Area based on holy/unholy miracles. Boss summons minions that attack you during boss fight.

Or there's the DLC, but it's best to level a bit first.
Nice little “mini” guide. Thanks for that. No idea myself…. But New Londo “appears” easiest simplest because I’m familiar with it. But perhaps it’s more “beneficial“ I do demons ruins. Knock it out.

*not doing dukes archive or DLC regardless lol

Last edited:
Nice little “mini” guide. Thanks for that. No idea myself…. But New Londo “appears” easiest simplest because I’m familiar with it. But perhaps it’s more “beneficial“ I do demons ruins. Knock it out.

*not doing dukes archive or DLC regardless lol
The thing about new londo is it's based on time. If you can't kill one boss quickly enough, another appears and things get even harder, and then another depending how long you take.

Maddux4164

Souls, chunks, spells, a ring, a covenant. And if you met a friendly dragon there, he would actually be totally chill about it if you cut his tail to use as a weapon.
But is it “beneficial for me”. I’ll do it. It’s right in the pits of blightown. Which I’ve zero issue with. I like Blight town

Last edited:
But is it “beneficial for me”. I’ll do it. It’s right in the pits of blightown. Which I’ve zero issue with. I like Blight town
TBH I don't think it suits you specifically other than seeing a new area and getting souls to level up. The dragon's tail is a heavy ultra greatsword and you're a katana user. You already have your weapon upgraded so chunks don't matter that much. You don't use spells, etc. And you don't need to go there to beat the game. So maybe not that beneficial, more of a curiosity.

Maddux4164

TBH I don't think it suits you specifically other than seeing a new area and getting souls to level up. The dragon's tail is a heavy ultra greatsword and you're a katana user. You already have your weapon upgraded so chunks don't matter that much. You don't use spells, etc. And you don't need to go there to beat the game. So maybe not that beneficial, more of a curiosity.
Gotcha. Still might do it. But demon ruins it is.

Maddux4164

Also, frankly as much shit the Demon Ruins gets, even From Soft addressed it. I kinda like it. Was really fun for me. Whipping up Taurus Desmons, Capra’s and giant worms can be fun.

Soodanim

The forum stopped giving me notifications of thread updates, I’m disappointed - I missed so much!

I even made a new version of my ultimate assist character and got him up to 80 after we co-op’d the fuck out of O&S just in case

Last edited:

Soodanim

It’s okay, I’m back now and I’m ready to help either by posts or by summons.

In case you’re wondering, my co-op assist guy has two very low stat requirement weapons (I put one point into dex and that was it) so everything else went into health and stamina. Combine that with all the humanity I save up through normal play and that’s a lot of full heals. The best summon is one who won’t die. Dark Souls has some pretty powerful weapons that’s don’t rely on scaling if you go certain routes, and I take full advantage of that.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

It’s okay, I’m back now and I’m ready to help either by posts or by summons.

In case you’re wondering, my co-op assist guy has two very low stat requirement weapons (I put one point into dex and that was it) so everything else went into health and stamina. Combine that with all the humanity I save up through normal play and that’s a lot of full heals. The best summon is one who won’t die.
I can ALWAYS use humanity drops if nothing else. That shit is RARE AF in this game. Rare situations I use em to heal. RARE. But I’ve done it

Last edited:

Soodanim

There really isn’t. Rats give it. Obviously. But no guarantee. I’m down to take some always lol
I’m going to take some time to catch up on the thread so I can be fully up to date on what you’ve done, but you’ve just hit Izalith and that’s as valid a choice as any.

There’s a hidden blacksmith in the Catacombs that you probably wouldn’t find without help, it’s one of those things I think they wanted messages to spread the word about. He does a specific element type (fire), so if you want to get to him give me a shout

Maddux4164

I’m going to take some time to catch up on the thread so I can be fully up to date on what you’ve done, but you’ve just hit Izalith and that’s as valid a choice as any.

There’s a hidden blacksmith in the Catacombs that you probably wouldn’t find without help, it’s one of those things I think they wanted messages to spread the word about. He does a specific element type (fire), so if you want to get to him give me a shout
Give me a few min. Booting it up. I’ll update ya on my location and objective

It's actually Izalith that is pewped on as the worst area. Demon ruins just is the lead up to Izalith so I may have made it sound like I meant demon ruins.

Why is Izalith regarded so badly? Multiple things but mainly I think the dinosaur chicken legs with no upper bodies really clash with the game's dark fantasy horror image.

There will be great humanity farming opportunities in the DLC. You can pop on a gold serpent ring and take out a bunch floaty spirit things and get a good stock of humanities dropped by them after only a few minutes of farming.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Ladies and gentleman, I want to be clear. Be transparent. Soodanim Soodanim and I have NOT beaten the Bed of Chaos. Have not beaten Nito in the catacombs. Have not cleared the demon ruins. I barely know this chap. He lives with his mother and is 16. That’s all.

Top Bottom