• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Microsoft do a better job turning around the Xbox One than Sony with the PS3?

Did Microsoft do better turning around Xbox One than Sony with PS3?

• Total voters

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
I hope this comes out right... [vis_name][/vis_name] has a habit of doing that. You get used to it though. Honestly, if [vis_name][/vis_name] wants to inflate their post count then more power to [vis_name][/vis_name]. I'm not gonna hate on [vis_name][/vis_name].

OT: No PS3 sold 80M+ and Xbox One won't even sniff that.
Trying too hard :)
Ah okay, I see now. I also logged out and saw that my username disappeared from your post when I did, so now I get the joke, LOL!
Its magic! ;)
Why do you think that? Not coming at you or anything, just really want to know. Sorry for the derail on the topic, and not voting because as many have said, the options are not objective.
Look at the post in the editor and you will notice something is vissy. ;)
It's funny that my post trigger people so much, especially the fanboys.
Its funny that you dont get the joke ;)

ANIMAL1975

Take a good look. The emoji in this case is an actual hint.
LOL played like a fiddle,,,, good show mate!

To those who are confused about why you’re being called out: you’re not actually being called out, it’s just a prank. A couple months ago gaf added the ability for us to create a blank reference that shows up as your name.

So for example in Redneckerz’s post it says Omeggos (me) is a prime candidate.
Thanks for the clarification, wouldn't get there without it lol

I hope this comes out right... [vis_name][/vis_name] has a habit of doing that. You get used to it though. Honestly, if [vis_name][/vis_name] wants to inflate their post count then more power to [vis_name][/vis_name]. I'm not gonna hate on [vis_name][/vis_name].

You got me there too, if it wasn't Omeggos (and the fact of being portuguese and having to translate my thoughts before answering lol), i was already preparing a long speech about how you guys see conspiracy in everything etcetera,,,, and if i was posting a lot was just because of my excitement for finally being a gafer after so many years of lurking,,,, kkkk

petran79

Banned
Despite the advantages, Xbox360 kept video games back for years because developers were forced to stick to DirectX 9 for almost a decade, despite DX11 being introduced in 2009. One would struggle to find games that took advantage of DX11 during that time. Main reason DirectX lost ground with DX12 and Vulkan was created. In that sense the X is considered a big improvement.

Last edited:

Dargor

OK, I have to say something. Its weird having your account name thrown around and not knowing what's it all about....

PSFan

Because its Afro Republican. Dude posts a dozen or so polls a week with the same basic template in them.

I mean, i have seen worse ways to boost post count. [vis_name][/vis_name] is a prime candidate of this. ;)

What in the hell are you talking about? I don't post that often at all, and I really don't give a shit about my post count or boosting it.

EDIT: Oh I get it now.
You used that trick that shows the username of the person browsing.

Last edited:

evanft

No. The PS3's problem was price and no games. Sony fixed both, and in the last few years of last gen it had the clear content lead over MS.

MS's problems were price, DRM, and no games. Microsoft got 2/3, but unfortunately the content has been severely lacking, even worse than the PS3 early last gen to be honest.

Last edited:

fermcr

Why am I mentioned so many times in this post?
I don't know any of you... I don't care for any of you...

Is somebody stalking me?

Last edited:

Redneckerz

What in the hell are you talking about? I don't post that often at all, and I really don't give a shit about my post count or boosting it.

EDIT: Oh I get it now.
You used that trick that shows the username of the person browsing.
Uhuh. :) You took it rather close to home!

Looks like I got played. Good show.
This might be the best catch so far with this trick.

But they arent fanboys. :)
Why am I mentioned so many times in this post?
I don't know any of you... I don't care for any of you...

Is somebody stalking me?
No, but a tag may have a particular interest in you. ;)

What do I have to do with this!?! 😂
Seek and you will find :)

NahaNago

:messenger_neutral:

, I finally figured out what is going on.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Ozrimandias

No, and Gaf have the same impression according to the survey.
PS3 and Xbox 360 had almost the same total sale at the end of its lifetime, even during a long period of time PS3 surpassed Xbox 360 in some continents.

Dabaus

Banned
Im obviously very biased towards sony, I don't hide my colors but I will say this, the PS3 Sort of sucked. Both of the big playstation franchises MGS and final fantasy were the worst in their respective series. Sony's first party wasn't all that great imo, and third party games were always inferior.

With that said, the fact that with all of the PS3's baggage it managed to outsell the 360 and sell around 80 million truly is an accomplishment. Ps3 still had some stand out games like the dead space series and was a good blu ray player. I have no desire at all to own an xbox 1.

Of course Microsoft is doing a good job turning it around, when you have infinite money and no budget youll eventually get it right. They've had to throw a lot of shit against the wall to get there though. Most of it will pay off next gen however.

Last edited:

NahaNago

I would say they have turned the conversation around the xbox a lot faster than the ps3 had but since I'm more about the games than hardware and features it means diddly squat to me(yeah , I understand they have bc but I buy current gen consoles for current gen games.).

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
MS has made some good changes, but we haven't even seen how the consumers will respond to it yet. So far the sales don't see to be changing that much.

Journey

Banned
PS3 had more exclusive studios, therefore more exclusive games than Xbox... but that being said, where's this turnaround? It's not like they had less and put effort to "Turn around" their exclusive studios and games to surpass Xbox.

PS3 may have been lagging behind in the US, but Worldwide they were neck and neck with Xbox all along, again, where's this great turnaround people are talking about?

PS3 was expensive, the platform was difficult to develop for, multi-platform games often lost in the head to heads.

By the end of the generation, the updated model of the PS3 was cheaply made, they took out USB ports, card readers, backward compatibility processor and at the end of the generation, Xbox 360 was still reigning on most head to head.

In Contrast, the Xbox One started off as the worst console technically, the most expensive, had very few exclusive studios and a set of really bad policies. The turnaround to what we have today is huge, now they have the most powerful console, have acquired many studios, added backward compatibility as opposed to taking it away and have reversed all of their bad policies and added a few great ones. So when it comes to "Turnaround" there's no question which had the best one, there was nothing to really turn around for Sony, 360 just happened to launch first and they had to catch up, which they did, but none of their policies, practices or hardware was changed, in fact was downgraded little by little with the removal of SACD playback, and BC chips. Edit: they dialed back their arrogance I guess lol.

Last edited:

Ten_Fold

The last Microsoft game I can recall is gears 4, I think gamepass is great idea an will get better going into next gen, but it just feels like it’s pretty much done till next gen that gap in sales is probably pretty huge, if I can recall ps3 really started catching up with all those games they started dropping, also it had free online so that was a plus for people last gen.

Sixkiller

Neo Member
No. I think by the end of the 360/PS3 generation it was extremely common for people to have both consoles.

Even if the 360 remained the platform of choice for mulitplayer/multiplatform games, the PS3 did a great job of making people feel it was worth having as a second console just for the exclusives that it had.

This generation the Xbone has turned around some of the negativity about the hardware itself, I just don't think it has come up with compelling reasons to be owned in addition to a PS4. Not in the way the PS3 did. When you look at that list of PS3 exclusives, you realise just how badly microsoft have failed to come up with exclusives this generation.

The switch's success also probably has something to do with it - a PS4 plus switch is a decent 'this gen's equivalent' to the what the 360 plus PS4 was last gen.

ethomaz

Banned
Reading some comments I believe the best way to describe FFXV is...

"Wasted potential"

There are great ideias behind but everything is put to shame with a bad direction... nothing in the game shines to what it should be remembering that know phase "it could be everything but it ended being nothing"

Last edited:
ms efforts are only going to show on the next gen. sony really did their best to turn around in the same gen. That's a critical difference.

And MS lost huge this gen. xbox brand was burned big when we see the results worldwide, ps3 never really went downhill this much.
It didnt? I mean, it did go down. From 155 million to 85 million.

Ivellios

Another poll i did not vote because of biased options.

Its like you are just trying to praise how good Microsoft is against the bad Sony and shove this opnion on others with these polls.

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Another poll i did not vote because of biased options.

Its like you are just trying to praise how good Microsoft is against the bad Sony and shove this opnion on others with these polls.
DP but according to the staff these polls have merit. That's a partial non-verbatim reference to a notification i got from them.

So yeah, take that as you will.

mejin

It didnt? I mean, it did go down. From 155 million to 85 million.

I understand this. But, look, the least sucessful playstation console was toe to toe with the most sucessful xbox console. Brand was damaged, but not burned.

Sony still got great results in the same gen and this was one the reasons ps4 got so much attention. Sony had an excellent transition from ps3 to ps4 in 2013. TLoU was the icing on the cake. Anyone who believe PS4 is what it is only because of MS screwing up big is wrong, Sony has their merits too.

SpartanN92

Banned
I think the Xbox One turn around was better for consumers but the PS3 turn around led to a console that sold 90+ million units. There is no way Xbox is hitting that this gen

Moses85

Because its Afro Republican. Dude posts a dozen or so polls a week with the same basic template in them.

I mean, i have seen worse ways to boost post count. [vis_name][/vis_name] is a prime candidate of this. ;)

I don’t use my computer for GAF, I use my mobile and it is way more easier to reply directly. That has nothing to do with boost post count or hunting for achievements. I would say, I am already to old for this. Not looking for attention buddy. If this is riding on your nerves, ignore me pls, it is a free world, even in the US 🙂

I sold my Xbox One one week after launch, wasn’t happy with it. Didn’t felt right after the great Xbox 360. (beside my unlucky 15 RODs in 7 years)

But after they quit with Kinect and the performance boost with the X, I gave it a second chance. BC is Great, love to play the old but gold Conker! I also play all Multiplattform Games on it (besides RE2, this will be a exception.

Redneckerz

I just wanted to send my ugly picture to someone... or something. :messenger_anguished:
That is... eh.... not strange at all. :messenger_fearful:
I don’t use my computer for GAF, I use my mobile and it is way more easier to reply directly. That has nothing to do with boost post count or hunting for achievements. I would say, I am already to old for this. Not looking for attention buddy. If this is riding on your nerves, ignore me pls, it is a free world, even in the US 🙂
And yet even on mobile you still failed to see the little joke. The emoji gives a lot away in this case, do not take it seriously :)

Yes, you already are too old for this. Thanks for the comment though, i loved it :)

What did xbox turn around? Besides having the X version out that is a more powerful console, they did nothign with their first party games. Its as if they already gave up and are putting any effort for the next generation. PS3 was in a terrible position the first two years even with the third party games, then slowly that got fixed and finally PS3 started spitting out AAA games and caught up sales wise to 360. XboxONE is more than half the sales of the PS4 and thats 4 years into its lifecycle.

Moses85

That is... eh.... not strange at all. :messenger_fearful:

And yet even on mobile you still failed to see the little joke. The emoji gives a lot away in this case, do not take it seriously :)

Yes, you already are too old for this. Thanks for the comment though, i loved it :)

I am glad that I could make you happy 😊

It's a good thing all xbox owners work for microsoft... :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You know you dont have an argument when you resort to shitposts. Good showing.
I understand this. But, look, the least sucessful playstation console was toe to toe with the most sucessful xbox console. Brand was damaged, but not burned.

Sony still got great results in the same gen and this was one the reasons ps4 got so much attention. Sony had an excellent transition from ps3 to ps4 in 2013. TLoU was the icing on the cake. Anyone who believe PS4 is what it is only because of MS screwing up big is wrong, Sony has their merits too.
except it didnt really get great results. They lost billions of dollars during 2006-2009, and barely broke even during 2010-2013. On the whole, the PS3 was a net loss.

Last edited:

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Not even close.
Xbox turned it around for me personally, but apparently not for the vast majority of gamers. PS3 came from behind to catch Xbox 360 last gen while Xbox One still trails PS4 by a huge margin.

Besides TLOU I don't think PS3 turned around very much. The multiplatform games were significantly weaker, the console iderations were terrible, PSNs shutdown was abysmal.

I think PS3 was by far the darkest days of Playstations history.

IMO, Microsoft hasn't turned anything around yet. Not significantly anyway. All that matters to me is the games, and they are still severely lacking in that department. They do currently have the most powerful console and also destroy the competition when it comes to BC, but to me these are secondary things to the exclusives. With all the studio acquisitions maybe in a year or two it will be a different story, especially if they keep those other two advantages. However I do not think it will be something we will see for Xbox One, but perhaps for Xbox Two, or whatever name they give to their next gen console. And I hope they do, because we will all benefit from it!

mejin

except it didnt really get great results. They lost billions of dollars during 2006-2009, and barely broke even during 2010-2013. On the whole, the PS3 was a net loss.

Compared to Xbox One?

Both brought loss to their manufacturers, it's fact. I agree with you.

But numbers for One were so bad that forced MS to stop telling them and even included (eliminated) the segment (Entertainment and Devices Division) to put them on a bigger one (More Personal Computing). It's clear MS only lost money with Xbox One this gen and some shareholders even asked for them to cut gaming division because of it. Hopefully, we saw last year they are on the right track now, but we will only see results next gen: for sales, numbers, games.

IMO, I'm just saying Microsoft didn't do a better job with Xbox One than Sony with PS3.

blackjon24

You know you dont have an argument when you resort to shitposts. Good showing.

Lol whatever man I’m just saying to the average purchaser of an Xbox one what you posted does nothing for them.

Last edited:

SynTha1

The only thing you have done wrong is not reading my post correctly. ;)

Read the quote, find the tag. :)

Also you dont have to commit to anything. Your post just makes me feel guilty :)

Well, i did say it to your face, no? ;)
I didn't notice it was a prank until after I posted u got me good with that one

sendit

I don’t think Microsoft made much strides at all this gen. A horrible line up of exclusives. And Crackdown (no comment).....Yes, they have the most powerful console out which isn’t a surprise releasing a year after the PS4 Pro. Great job.

Akuza89

i'll answer the main thread question here

"Did Microsoft do a better job turning around the Xbox One than Sony with the PS3?"

I believe they have in a sense of making fans happier and drawing in more fans to the system.

However they seem to still be lagging behind due to a lack of "killer 1st party titles" ...

The system I feel doesn't have much more to improve on other than that really...

CuNi

We need a poll thread to evaluate whether we should increase or decrease his weekly poll allowance..

CuNi

Wasn't this tag used in a thread around Christmas too? Was the most clever way to wish everyone a merry Christmas.

Black_Wolf

Neo Member
The PS3 caught up to, and based on some data, surpassed its competitor (the Xbox 360) in terms of sales. This was with its competitor having a one-year lead on the market. The Xbox One is currently being outsold 2:1 by the PS4, despite a simultaneous launch. If we're talking about pure success then . . . no. It isn't even close.

If we're talking about this in terms of improving their overall features and perception in the eyes of the consumer, then yes, a case could be made for the Xbox One. The removal of the Kinect, reduction in price, introduction of Game Pass and the release of the Xbox One X (the most powerful system on the market) all earned Microsoft some goodwill with gamers.

That being said, Xbox One, to this day, still suffers from a lack of notable exclusives. We got Halo 5 in 2015, Gears 4 in 2016 and the occasional Forza release. That isn't enough (in my opinion) to justify owning that console for the entire generation. The PS3 never really lacked exclusives, though - the console's life cycle was littered with releases such as the Uncharted trilogy, Resistance trilogy, Last of Us, the Killzone games, the God of War games, Metal Gear Solid 4, the Ratchet & Clank games, Gran Turismo . . . I could keep going, but I think I've made my point.

There is a good reason why the PS3 caught up to the Xbox 360 (and arguably surpassed it) under arguably less favorable circumstances (at first) whereas the Xbox One is being lapped by the PS4. That reason is, in my opinion, the clear lack of major exclusives on Microsoft's end.

Top Bottom