• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Microsoft do a better job turning around the Xbox One than Sony with the PS3?

Did Microsoft do better turning around Xbox One than Sony with PS3?

• Total voters
So two gens in a row we have seen one of the big console manufactures make big mistakes and several bad PR decisions for their new gaming consoles. The PS3 and the Xbox One were both hit pretty bad by hubris.

The PS3 was initially heavily sunk and due to the cost of its production, Sony had no choice but to attempt to salvage it. Leading to massive losses and becoming a commercial failure. Even losing progress in other sectors due to PS3 losses and the selling of buildings. However, due to the long length of the gen, was able to go from a far 3td place, to being just behind the 360 in a near tie as of official numbers. This would translate to the PS4, however the PS3 took a long time and many write-offs to get there.

The Xbox One didn't have anywhere near the financial issues of the PS3. However, the original vision of the Xbox One was basically erased. One advantage of the Xbox One is a lot of the changes that needed to be made happened before launch which helped Xbox have a good launch in spite of the initial controversy. However it was clear Kinect had to go and thus ended the full original vision. However, Microsoft within 2 years post Kinect separation rapidly changed how it operated featuring BC, the Xbox One S and finally releasing some long delayed games. Currently they have been pushing the Xbox One X.

Both of these consoles started out in panic and finished strong. Which do you think had the better turnaround between the two?

I think it was the dreaded third console curse which got both of them.....if you look at both the ps3 and xb1 they almost mirror each other in terms of consumer unfriendly choices and lacklustre first party titles but towards the end the ps3 hit some real bangers in terms of games...the xb1s book it still been written but you can’t say they have not loaded the gun...they just need to fire it

Well they way I see it the PS3 caught up with a console (360) that had alot of things going for it up untill they started to starve gamers of games and started concentrating on other things and also in my opinion part of the reason the 360 was so popular was piracy was rife aswell which nobody really talks about when mentioning the 360 so really was a mountain to climb for the PS3 but it did it with games a great selection of them aswell right up until the end of the gen ....now that scenario is nothing like this gen because ones so far behind the other in playerbase and game releases that it's not even funny it hasn't been a turnaround at all in my opinion compared to the PS3 era maybe others will disagree that's fine .....

I think it was the dreaded third console curse which got both of them.....if you look at both the ps3 and xb1 they almost mirror each other in terms of consumer unfriendly choices and lacklustre first party titles but towards the end the ps3 hit some real bangers in terms of games...the xb1s book it still been written but you can’t say they have not loaded the gun...they just need to fire it

Well the 3rd console curse isnt a real thing as only like 4 consoles were effected by that in theory, even then the Xbox Ones condition was not as bad as others and still avoided last place..

However you do bring up an interesting point. They did act very similar to each other. You'd think Microsoft learned nothing from the PS3, they made a lot of similar mistakes as well as some unique ones. Heck, both even blamed the gamers at a certain point.

At least now we should expect both Sony and MS to never do anything like that again. Hopefully.

Naked Lunch

PS3 was never really that great sorry. After Demons Souls, Ketsui, and MGS4 I got nothin. Piss poor 3rd party game performance, bad online service, and probably the worst controller of a popular console.
The XB1X is night and day from launch XB1.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Even in the pro MS choice and the pro Sony ones you have to glorify one and whitewash the other adding the only way to bring it down you could (then again the OP commenting it was also way too much doom and gloom PS3 wise offering no redeemable quality... notice how you have only highlighted BC for Xbox One for example)... answer would be an unqualified no which you do not even offer.

An owner of a launch PS3 had, Other OS aside (but it was a joke compared to PS2 Linux for many things), PS3 kept improving with better and better exclusives, improved OS, and services. They did not have to buy one or two new consoles for the reliance to take place :).

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
PS3 was never really that great sorry. After Demons Souls, Ketsui, and MGS4 I got nothin. Piss poor 3rd party game performance, bad online service, and probably the worst controller of a popular console.

It is indeed, but it is also a new console for which they ask you an extra $499.

Blood Borne

We can all list personal reasons, but going by objective criteria such as hardware sales, number of games released, game scores (metacritic), PS3 did better than Xbox One.

Sparda

Banned
You never had a ps3. Microsoft become complacent after the kinect reveal, instead Sony pumped exclusives on exclusives, gathering ground on third party perfomance and surpass 360. yes dualshock was shit.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
The first half last gen I chose 360 over PS3 because it had more games I enjoy but second half 360 stopped making games I want and PS3 started bring more first party exclusive and third party exclusive like Ni no Kuni. Xbox one in other hand didn't do anything that makes me want to buy one. So I choose PS3.

OccamsLightsaber

Regularly boosts GAF member count to cry about 'right wing gaf' - Voter #3923781
Sony started pumping out straight bangers towards the end of the PS3 generation, the same cannot be said for Microsoft in this generation. To give Microsoft credit, I'm incredibly surprised and pleased to see they still have strong sales and aren't rolling over. We need competition in this industry.

Just a reminder for people who don't remember the Xbox 360 didn't get complacent after Kinect launch.
2010-2011 had several profile exclusives. I've heard this theory the 360s "2nd half" was coasting for years but that never really happened until 2012 which was also the year Halo/Gears/Forza started to an extreme extent.

Of course, the PS3 owes Move/wonderbook not taking off for its strong finish. I think it's end might have been like the 360s if it took off.

nowhat

You seem to have a thing for posting polls, nothing wrong with that as such.

But I think you'd get more meaningful discourse if most of them wouldn't be begging the question in the poll question itself and/or the poll options.

SonGoku

Bullshit poll answers, how about you add some yes or no options without your opinions tacked into
PS3 did a much better turn around but it was also a much bigger disaster to boot.
Of course, the PS3 owes Move/wonderbook not taking off for its strong finish. I think it's end might have been like the 360s if it took off.
Why do people always assume... if X company did it this way then Y company will behave similarly. Its an asinine argument.

Last edited:

juliotendo

The PS3 “turnaround” was impressive. PS3 is still regarded as a well beloved console with a lot of memorable games and nostalgia tied to it. Rough start, but fantastic end. A lot of classics here.

Xbox One? I believe Microsoft is dying to start the next generation. The Xbox One has had a very rough existence since it’s release. Their game releases have been mediocre at best and they’ve lost a lot of mindshare in the public. I think their next generation console however should fare much better based on what they are doing.

Basically I think a decade from now there will far better memories of PS3 days and very little fanfare for Xbox One.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
What's up with the limited poll options? Why are your own opinions shoved into them?
Because its Afro Republican. Dude posts a dozen or so polls a week with the same basic template in them.

I mean, i have seen worse ways to boost post count. [vis_name][/vis_name] is a prime candidate of this. ;)

Last edited:

lynux3

The PS3 turn around was way more impressive. Not sure what you mean by "longer gen" because this generation is taking just as long and Xbox One hasn't even turned around... and probably never will. We're getting close to the end of this generation and we're still waiting for Microsoft to turn this platform around.

Grinchy

Banned
The PS3 turn around was way more impressive. Not sure what you mean by "longer gen" because this generation is taking just as long and Xbox One hasn't even turned around... and probably never will. We're getting close to the end of this generation and we're still waiting for Microsoft to turn this platform around.
Not to mention, the 360 had a 12-month head start in NA and a 18-month head start in EU. I don't understand why this never gets mentioned when talking about the PS3 vs 360 sales. Even the OP doesn't bring that up.

Being a year behind and $599 should have been a complete guarantee of death for the PS3, yet they were able to sell faster to end up in a tie.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
PS3 outsold the 360. PS4 is more than lapping Xbone.

Think out your polls before rushing to spam the boards.

Microsoft turned something around ? Last time I checked they are still outsold somewhere in the area 2:1 while PS3 went from distant third to matching or slightly outperforming x360.

Also will you ever include actual negative option for Microsoft instead of something slightly negative with excuse ?

"No, PS3's turn around was better, but it had a longer gen to do it. (7 years) "

Good hardware late in the gen and that's it. Saying gamepass is proconsumer is stretching it, they were kind of forced to it with their subpar output.

HeresJohnny

Depends on what you consider turning it around. If by that you mean they’ve bought a bunch of companies while convincing their game-starved base to support their releasing multiple hardware revisions while maintaining a half-a-grand price point while still finishing a distant, distant second (and likely third), then yeah they’ve done a bang up fucking job.

Last edited:

bilderberg

What the hell has Microsoft done to turn anything around? They haven't put out any games. Xbox One X is a good console, but they fucked that up too by calling it the Xbox One X. A family member kept asking me what xbox i wanted for Christmas and I eventually just told them to not bother. Your console shouldn't be a god damn tongue twister.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Because its Afro Republican. Dude posts a dozen or so polls a week with the same basic template in them.

I mean, i have seen worse ways to boost post count. [vis_name][/vis_name] is a prime candidate of this. ;)

tumblr_inline_p2frbyMQYb1ty99rh_500.gif

bilderberg

What's up with the limited poll options? Why are your own opinions shoved into them?

right. I can't even pick 'no' without some caveat about ps3 having more time to turn around? That's some sneaky Orwellian shit right there.

SonGoku

Yikes to be accused of this, when i really don't care about post counts. If anything i would rather have a low post count
Edit: Yikes i fell for it, though in my defense if you do selective quote it doesn't show the template

Last edited:
PS3 outsold the 360. PS4 is more than lapping Xbone.

Think out your polls before rushing to spam the boards.

I just wanted to mention your last several attempts to derail these threads have failed and the threads continue to ignore you yet you keep trying desperately to start a fight and derail these threads with your drive bys, I just wanted to respond once just to let you know it's pointless and your aggressive non-contributing posts will continue to be buried, but youll likely keep trying, after all you doing drive-bys in these threads are becoming a good chunk of your post history. ;)

Also you have no evidence of your first point outside unreliable estimates, and officially you're wrong. Also, your second point is irrelevant to the thread but nice try though.

Moving on.

I can't believe how many people you've caught in your web. Diabolical.

Codes 208

Was this really needed? This is a barely different thread than your Sony switched places with me or did Xbox ever redeem itself for you polls.
Because its Afro Republican. Dude posts a dozen or so polls a day with the same basic template in them.

Fixed.

Not to mention, the 360 had a 12-month head start in NA and a 18-month head start in EU. I don't understand why this never gets mentioned when talking about the PS3 vs 360 sales. Even the OP doesn't bring that up.

Being a year behind and $599 should have been a complete guarantee of death for the PS3, yet they were able to sell faster to end up in a tie.

Because the Xbox One didn't. The comparison is PS3 and Xbox One having rough starts and both arguably having strong finishes. The 360 having a head start has less to do with the PS3s turn around and more to do with it's brand appeal in territories the 360 only did modest in.

SonGoku

I just wanted to mention your last several attempts to derail these threads have failed and the threads continue to ignore you yet you keep trying desperately to start a fight and derail these threads with your drive bys, I just wanted to respond once just to let you know it's pointless and your aggressive non-contributing posts will continue to be buried, but youll likely keep trying, after all you doing drive-bys in these threads are becoming a good chunk of your post history. ;)

Also you have no evidence of your first point outside unreliable estimates, and officially you're wrong. Also, your second point is irrelevant to the thread but nice try though.

Moving on.
Dude i agree there's better ways to criticize without being aggressive, but you should listen to some of it. [vis_name][/vis_name] is not the only one that feels that way
Many have voiced dislike for your opinionated loaded poll options.

Keep the polls clean and simple and post your opinions in the OP text

Last edited:

spookyfish

You seem to have a thing for posting polls, nothing wrong with that as such.

But I think you'd get more meaningful discourse if most of them wouldn't be begging the question in the poll question itself and/or the poll options.

Yea, I can’t answer some of them because even the “right” answer in my mind has suppositions I don’t agree with.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Not even close. MS released new HW, but the games are as bad as ever. Sony did it with content.

Grinchy

Banned
Because the Xbox One didn't. The comparison is PS3 and Xbox One having rough starts and both arguably having strong finishes. The 360 having a head start has less to do with the PS3s turn around and more to do with it's brand appeal in territories the 360 only did modest in.
It's just that you're comparing the "turnarounds" of the Xbox One and the PS3 and the release date of the PS3 is a major factor in what makes its turnaround so substantial. I thought it was odd not to mention that anywhere. When you consider the price difference and release date difference that the PS3 had to overcome to end up in a tie, the Xbox One barely maintaining a 2:1 loss isn't in the same league of turnarounds by any metric at all.

Last edited:

Elenchus

Banned

No clue what you’re talking about but if you have an issue with my posts you could have sent me a DM and I would have gladly addressed it.

bitbydeath

PS3 had the ground breaking best ever multiplayer game to ever grace this fine Earth which released just a year after launch.

warhawk-ps3-playstation-3.original.jpg

Nobody could have ever dreamed just how good Warhawk was going to be.

warhawk-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Men wanted to play Warhawk and Women wanted to do Warhawk.

maxresdefault.jpg

Warhawk was the game on everyones tongues last gen, it really pushed the barriers.

warhawk-20070423070250551-1970871.jpg

If you never played Warhawk, you haven't lived.

53106_0_org2.jpg

I remember playing Warhawk and thinking, this, this is the future of gaming.

maxresdefault.jpg

All hail our Warhawk overlords.

warhawkdual.jpg

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Sony had plenty of time with their 10 year console life policy/principle so I think they had the better turnaround, the console revisions (slims, pricedrops), ps move, and exclusives were very instrumental in PS3’s turnaround.

Imtjnotu

I have 394 posts in 15 months. On gamespot I have 12k posts in 12 years. I could not care less about a post count.....

Last edited:

CrazyKyle

Neo Member

I have to say you had me confused for a while!

richyque

Neo Member

Oh really? I dont even post here bro, so you got the wrong brother.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
No clue what you’re talking about but if you have an issue with my posts you could have sent me a DM and I would have gladly addressed it.
I have 394 posts in 15 months. On gamespot I have 12k posts in 12 years. I could not care less about a post count.....
I very rarely post on this site, why bring me up as some spammer?
Oh really? I dont even post here bro, so you got the wrong brother.
And this is why the tag i used works sooo well. ;)

You guys fell for it. And it also shows how evil this mechanism is.

Thanks for participating.

Top Bottom